Author Topic: Metal!!!  (Read 192714 times)

Offline rostheferret

Re: Metal!!!
« Reply #1060 on: January 29, 2015, 05:17:09 pm »
The first potential album of the year in 2015 has landed \o/ Jim Grey (Caligula's Horse) is back with the unsigned Heavy Prog act Arcane and their 6 years-in-the-making double album. One side heavy, the other light. For fans of Haken, Rush and Porcupine Tree.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #1061 on: February 21, 2015, 06:45:21 am »
Motor Sister- This song reminds me of you.

I was flipping channels the other day and came across this gem.  I recommend it as the first good song I've heard this year.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline rostheferret

« Reply #1062 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:44 am »
Bvmp.

I think Arcane has finally been topped by Sigh. They have a new guitarist on board who originally was in the solo project Kadenzza (read: awesome neo-classical symphonic BM) who is permitted to go nuts across much of this album, which otherwise is compositionally somewhere between their more recent classical-infused material and the avant-garde nutjob that was Imaginary Sonicscape (they're well aware of this, they joked that they expect a backlash like they got with Imaginary Sonicscape, despite it now being commonly considered their greatest work thus far). I've been disappointed in their output since Hangman's Hymn, but god damn if this shooting it's way to their best release to date.

Opening Track.

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
« Reply #1063 on: April 26, 2015, 02:10:26 pm »
Really? I found the new Sigh painfully unremarkable.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline buchno

« Reply #1064 on: April 26, 2015, 02:55:11 pm »
Ooh, Skálmöld released a new album a couple months ago:
Að hausti

They still haven't topped Kvaðning though.

Offline rostheferret

« Reply #1065 on: May 04, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »
Really? I found the new Sigh painfully unremarkable.

The guys at angrymetalguy agree with you. I'm starting to wonder if there's a sort of "Sigh fatigue" that's occurring; each new album changes gradually enough that if you listen to one frequently, the next will seem similar yet not as good. I was disappointed with "Scenes from Hell" compared to "Hangman's Hymn" and skipped "In Somniphobia" completely, so it's been a few years since I really gave them a lot of listening. Similar happened with "Gallows Gallery"; I was completely underwhelmed compared to "Imaginary Sonicscape". I've got a full review up now, which can be found here.

Latest listen is the new Pitbulls in the Nursery. It's Proggy Tech Death, sort of Gojira or Meshuggah-esque. Which means I should fucking hate it, but 2/3rds through my first listen and I don't, and I can't figure out why. Not as good as their debut though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:21:05 pm by rostheferret »

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
« Reply #1066 on: May 04, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »
Speaking of tech death, Job for a Cowboy used to be the worst, most cliched techwank metal you could imagine, but their album from last year kicks a surprising amount of ass.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline rostheferret

« Reply #1067 on: May 19, 2015, 11:54:48 am »
Speaking of tech death, Job for a Cowboy used to be the worst, most cliched techwank metal you could imagine, but their album from last year kicks a surprising amount of ass.

It's an improvement but it hardly has me enthralled. Now The Faceless' last album, THAT was a surprise.

Offline Wretch

• Twitter
« Reply #1068 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:18 am »
Awesome post!!

I mostly listen to death & thrash metal, but I do like black metal as well. Actually, almost any metal sub-genre goes.

Bloodbath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1j0rOMbWpg
Warbringer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiizfl9exHM
Mayhem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVmpuwsRjU
Norther https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEXb5hKRek
Children of Bodom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0Kuvx4yE8
Bloodshot Dawn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCnDl_bJKco

I guess that'll do it for now...

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #1069 on: September 21, 2016, 03:47:14 am »
Hell, I haven't posted here in forever... really looking forward to Starkill's new album coming out in November.

https://vimeo.com/180580537/59738057df

The guitar solo in this song slays me, especially towards the end.

Allegaeon also has a new album coming out soon that I'm excited for.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #1070 on: September 21, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
I've been slowly buying Manowar and Iced Earth albums.

I love both bands, and felt bad not actually OWNING some of their work.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #1071 on: September 22, 2016, 12:09:35 am »
I haven't bought any Iced Earth albums since Horror Show.  IE got really boring after that album.  Burnt Offerings is my favorite album by Schaeffer, followed by the Days of Purgatory re-recordings of the Night of the Stormrider stuff.  I've spent waaaaay too much time trying to learn to play stuff from Stormrider.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #1072 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:45 am »
I haven't bought any Iced Earth albums since Horror Show.  IE got really boring after that album.  Burnt Offerings is my favorite album by Schaeffer, followed by the Days of Purgatory re-recordings of the Night of the Stormrider stuff.  I've spent waaaaay too much time trying to learn to play stuff from Stormrider.

I always felt they were already out of steam on Horror Show. Alive in Athens is probably the only IE anyone really needs to have, it's the closest to an actual best of album they ever released.

Gave Helstar's latest, Vampiro, a few spins. It's a modernized version of their pre Nosferatu stuff, more traditional/power metal in style and it's definitely the least thrashy they've sounded in 30 years. I also listened to Y&T's Earthshaker for the first time in ages, guess they burned up all their ideas on that one. They never managed to match it, but it aged a lot better than most 80s stuff.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:49:02 am by Fool010 »
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline DespondenSea

« Reply #1073 on: September 22, 2016, 01:55:05 am »
Kauan has been my go-to band of late.

Posty folk/doom from Russia.

Their latest album, Sorni Nai, is excellent.