Author Topic: Recommend-A-Book  (Read 137498 times)

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
Recommend-A-Book
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:48 pm »

SO im finishing reading yet another book and I really havent found my "next target" and i want to get back into reading again >.<

Why dont we get some recommendations in here aye? name,author and why is it good . . .keep it on 3 max.

Lemme start:

I, Lucifer
by glenn ducan: Im finishing reading this one and god i love it! Its a self-written version that lucifer made about himself when he was in the "material world" since he made a deal with god that if he could live 1 month in a humans body being a good boy he could return b ack into heaven *obviously he had no intention* but its really funny, since Lucifer has never been into the material realm (other then as an animal) so he gets to learn what is like to be a human.

Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown (take it as fiction if youre a religious person): The story is quite catchy and it really hooks you into the story, it has a nice narration and the way that guy changes "scenes" it pisses me off so i have to keep reading >.< like most things in life the ending sux

Queen of the south by arturo perez: Its pretty interesting story about a woman who had no choice (i mean literally NO CHOICE) but to join the mob and drug dealing business. its really good and keeps you hooked also.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:46:39 pm by GoGeTa006 »

Offline Jarudin

Re: Recommend-A-Book
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »
I've only recently started reading so forgive the obvious recommendations:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger - Slice of Life - This requires no further explenation I think. "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody. If anybody wanted to tell me something, they'd have to write it on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life."

Harry Potter by J.K.Rowling - Fantasy/Magic - I don't think Harry Potter requires any further explenation either.

The Last Wish by A.Sapkowski - Fantasy - This book is the first in a trilogy (other two books haven't been written/translated yet). It is the inspiration for the game "The Witcher". As in the game the book follows the adventures of Geralt, who is a Witcher - a genetically enhanced human who is created solely to protect humans from monsters for petty money. The book emphasises on political and ethical struggles between races. Some monsters are more human then they seem at first sight and some humans are more monstrous than any monster. In my opinion a good balance between fantasy, ethics and humour.

--Jarudin--
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:14:22 pm by Jarudin »

Offline Reinvent

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I thought this was pretty good. The novel brought a lot of emotions out from me. Definitely not for a younger audience. I never expected some of the things that happened in the book. One because it was written in a book  :P, and two it was just shocking. The story was tied together well and the narration was simple to understand.

The Lord of the Rings series by J. R. R. Tolkien. Well basically if you liked the movies you should try reading these books. I recommend starting with The Hobbit to understand a little better.

There are others to recommend, but I don't feel like giving a summary  :D. I'm reading three other books right now so maybe I'll post again.

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:34:58 pm »
(Kana little sister, a visual novel could be classed as a book I guess? :p)

The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett. This is one of my favourite books from my favourite author. His humor and the serious issues in the background makes it entertaining and engaging. The author I own the most books of.

Gardens of the Moon, Steven Erikson. The best fantasy book series with the best gray characters I've read in a long time.

I'll leave the last for later.

Nighthog

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:18 pm »
Most seem to mention well known stuff...

Well I don't read books but I did read 1 book while in the army that I had gotten as a present, quite liked it

The Fifth Sorceress, by Robert Newcomb. First book off three.

Offline blad

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:57:31 pm »
Finally a book topic! :P

Here are my recommendations:
Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Great book by Richard Bach, talks about an individual seagull that want to achieve self-perfection. Nice short read. Also, I should mention that this book should be read at least once every 10 years. Every time you go through it, you see a different perspective of life...

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand's greatest work, very long too, and if you're not particularly religious, this book will have more effect on your life than the Bible. Just read it, but beware, this is not for everyone to enjoy...

And last but not least; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  by Douglas Adams -  This one you will enjoy, unless you take the universe very seriously and think that humor does not exist in the outer space. When reading, just go with the flow, and enjoy in countless dilemmas that Arthur has to fight through just to make it out alive. Oh, and 42!

I know we're supposed to give just 3 recommendations, but I just feel like honoring a few more good books, so shout-outs go to:
Wuthering Heights, A Clockwork Orange, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, The Alchemist, 1984(Nineteen Eighty-Four), Anthem, East of Eden, Travels in Nihilon, Naked Lunch, Don Quixote, High Fidelity, My Uncle Oswald, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, The Inspector Rebus series, and many many, many more...

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. By Douglas Adams.
sig & ava by DDE

Offline lx4

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:55:58 pm »
Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger
Written by former secretary of state during the Nixon and Ford administrations. One of my favorite books and the history book I have learned the most from. It made me better understand history, why things happen and how everything is connected. He tells the story of the world from the 17th century to modern time (focusing mostly on the 20th century) out of the perspective of a believer in Realpolitik. I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in history.

Blood and Gold by Anne Rice
My favorite vampire book. The 8th in the vampire chronicles series but can be read separately since it has a new main character. Rices books get progressively better so its not necessarily best to start from the beginning. It about the long life of the vampire Marius, from the time of the roman empire up to today.

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
The precursor to the Lord of the Rings books. Much lighter and remind me more of a fairy tale then Lord of the Rings. If you enjoyed Lord of the Rings you have to read this one or if you havent read the trilogy yet this is a great easy read to start with.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:05:15 pm by lx4 »

What'cha been playin'? - A more personal video game blog.

Offline Firemonkey5

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:28:54 pm »
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I thought this was pretty good. The novel brought a lot of emotions out from me. Definitely not for a younger audience. I never expected some of the things that happened in the book. One because it was written in a book  Tongue, and two it was just shocking. The story was tied together well and the narration was simple to understand.

The kite Runner was an amazing book.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
     It's a good book, just don't let the size intimidate you.
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
     Classic book. The sequels and the side story of Bean are really good as well. 

Offline ett

• godspoken
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:36:18 pm »
Any know for some Sci fi love

Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton
the Saga consists of the novels Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. And is a epic space opera with a believable  version of the future, lots of great characters and a great plot  . If your  a sci fi fan you NEED  to read these books.

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card
Most know the author for his Ender's game book/saga (a must read too).But i think this is one of my favorite story he has written.
the book  consists of one main story "The Worthing Chronicle" and 9 short story  that are based around the main story.

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
the plot will explain :

In 2019, humanity finally finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post in Puerto Rico picks up exquisite singing from a planet which will come to be known as Rakhat. While United Nations diplomats endlessly debate a possible first contact mission, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an eight-person scientific expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question the meaning of being "human." When the lone survivor of the expedition, Emilio Sandoz, returns to Earth in 2059, he will try to explain what went wrong... Words like "provocative" and "compelling" will come to mind as you read this shocking novel about first contact with a race that creates music akin to both poetry and prayer

[Who are you people?! Where is everyone?!]

Offline molbjerg

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:19:38 am »
I'd recommend any of the SF by Iaian M Banks, and if you don't like scifi, I recommend his fiction.. Awesome books. The scifi books describe the most awesome futeristic socierty ever. I'd probably say that Excession is the best...

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, but w/e.

Terry Pratchett I used to read when I was younger, loved the whole discworld thing - I mustve read at least 10 of his books  then I kinda lost interest and now I can't remember anything about any of them haha. Oddly I actually remember the discworld game (the one that came on 40 floppy discs - I had to delete microsoft word to install it on my 100mb drive) better than the books.

But yeah, Iaian Banks ftw.

Oh, actually, I just remembered when I completely went off Terry Pratchett - when I met him. I thought he was a knob.

And Banks was a funny druggy.
all i can think of when i hear that garbage is just pounding guys in the ass

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:36:26 am »
Ok, here is a crazy book:

Kitchen Confidential - by Anthony Bourdain.

This is a non-fiction book about what is going on behind the scenes of a restaurant kitchen, how assholes many chefs really are and many stories from the author's career which made me laugh my ass off. On the downside I am beginning to get a phobia about restaurants and their food.

Want to know why you should never order sea food on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? Or why you should avoid brunch? Read this book to find out.

Offline AnimeJanai

• http://anonym.to/?
    • Doujinshi Database & Lexicon
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 01:30:52 am »
The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook.   It was out of print for a long time, but has gotten back into print.  I found it recently at Barnes & Noble bookstore shelves in the science-fiction section.   I own the book and rate it 9/10 on plot, 9/10 on style, 9/10 on timelessness, 9/10 on world building, 9/10 on epicness.   I would buy it again.  Actually, I've always bought every used book of this that I can find since I use this book as a special gift for those who enjoy the page-turning reading style of BOOKS.

Offline llsektorll

• Lover of only one Box-Girl... My Box-Wife, Peccato
    • My Anime List
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:13 am »
Semnae's Post.... at its length you might as well slap it on a paperback....  :P

A Ship Made of Paper.... inter-marital relationship, lust and sex takes a twist where a rich affluent lawyer falls for a equally intelligent african american woman.... and how their relationship is like "A Ship Made of Paper"...
"look in my eyes and say you love me" ~sektor

Offline Semnae

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:13:10 pm »
The Venusian Arts Handbook by Erik Von Markovik a.k.a "Mystery" - A life changing book that pioneered pick up artistry back in the 70's.  This is still one of the most complete guides to picking up women ever written.  This is a great book for people interested in pick up artistry and just don't know where to start.

The World's 20 Greatest Unsolved Problems by Stephen Hawkings - Want to win a Nobel Prize?  Here's a list and discussion of what keeps the most brilliant minds in the world up at night, written by the smartest man alive.  The topics have a large variety, from earthquake prediction to genetics to dark matter.

How to Conquer Clutter by Stephanie Culp - The perfect book for those of us that just have way too much shit laying around the house.  This book goes into specifics, like how many cups and towels your family really needs.  This book covers what to do with every type of clutter you can think of.

Offline xBourquex

• www.facebook.com/xbourquex
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:22:38 pm »
Ender's Game. Nothing more to say, look into it. I enjoyed it a lot when I was in highschool.

http://www.amazon.com/Enders-Game-Ender-Book-1/dp/0812550706

Offline Rhapsody

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13:22 pm »
Ok, here is a crazy book:

Kitchen Confidential - by Anthony Bourdain.

This is a non-fiction book about what is going on behind the scenes of a restaurant kitchen, how assholes many chefs really are and many stories from the author's career which made me laugh my ass off. On the downside I am beginning to get a phobia about restaurants and their food.

Want to know why you should never order sea food on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? Or why you should avoid brunch? Read this book to find out.

It really is a must read, i loved it and Anthony Bourdain is like a genious and yeah i ain't having no more brunch or ordering the specials no more and no fish on monday for me anymore, at least not in restaurants and yeah you will be shocked!

Etl is my Box hubby and shell is my boy toy :D

Offline MTR

• Former Staff
    • http://www.animeplanetnet.net
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 05:19:35 pm »
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
     Classic book. The sequels and the side story of Bean are really good as well. 

I agree, Ender's Game is one of my favorites, same with the parallel Bean series (aka Shadow series). I own all the Shadow series, and Ender's Game. I can't wait for the last 2 (Shadows In Flight and Ender In Exile) to be released >.> Same with the Ender's Game movie...and the videogame....it's one of the best when it comes to science fiction.

If you're into romance, definitely check out Nicholas Sparks. He has written a lot of good ones. I mainly suggest A Walk To Remember (read the book before the movie. The movie is great, but the book is way better), The Notebook (movie and book order don't matter; both are brilliant), Message In A Bottle (book is amazing, movie is okay :/), and pretty much everything else he has ever written ;x It's all great.

...and if we're allowed to suggest Visual novels like Sosseres did :p, I highly advise Kanon, CLANNAD, Air...and pretty much every single thing KEY has ever produced. Kana is also good like he said ^^

Offline Pigeon

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:32 am »
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein.

The moon is a prison colony. The prisoners, with the help of a sentient computer, overthrow the Authority, and institute their own form of 'government.'

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein.

The moon is a prison colony. The prisoners, with the help of a sentient computer, overthrow the Authority, and institute their own form of 'government.'

Thanks, it sounds interesting, I will give this one a try.

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 05:09:39 pm »
Ooh one of Heinlein's I havn't read yet. I'll have to look into that one. :)