Author Topic: Recommend-A-Book  (Read 136981 times)

Offline DustyKhan

Re: Recommend-A-Book
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 12:47:23 am »
Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis
For a start he also wrote one of my favorite comic series "Transmetropolitan"

If you prefer the more fun things in life (s&m, foot fetishes ;)) some very interesting characters 

A private detective story which dumps the classic noir feel for a distinctively modern tale of a trek through the disturbing, depraved and perverted side of American life. From Godzilla bukkake fetishists to garrotted cow udder-sucking, Detective Michael McGill's quest to track down a very dangerous book leads him to witness (and unwillingly partake in) a whole host of bizarre activities taking place behind white picket fences. Consistently funny and scary, Warren Ellis' debut novel is bursting with energy and deserves to become a cult classic.

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami

The odd numbered chapters take place in the 'Hard-Boiled Wonderland,' where the narrator is a "Calcutec," a human data processor/encryption system who uses the unique characteristics of his mind as the encryption key. The Calcutecs — perhaps short for Calculating Technician — work for the quasi-governmental System, as opposed to the criminal Semiotecs who work for the Factory and who are generally fallen Calcutecs. The relationship between the two groups is simple: the System protects data while the Semiotecs steal it, although later in the novel it is revealed that they may be two branches of a single institution. The narrator completes work for a mysterious scientist, who is exploring "sound reduction." He works within a laboratory protected by a series of labyrinths within an anachronistic version of Tokyo's sewer system.

The other set of chapters deals with a newcomer to a strange, walled-off town far away from other civilization — it is depicted in a map as being surrounded by forest — and called 'the End of the World.' The character, in the process of being accepted into the village, has his shadow "cut off." He becomes the resident "dreamreader" and goes to the Library every evening to read dreams from the skulls of the unicorns that live in the city with the help of the Librarian.

The two storylines eventually merge to tell a single story, exploring the concept of double consciousness, in this case "two cognitive systems existing within the same person."

stole this of wikipedia just seemed a lot easer then me having to describe it. Haruki Murakami is one of my fav authors, i recommend any of his books, well all the ones that i have read, this was the first one i ever read and will remember for a long time to come.
Indica Vs Sativa
Merry Blues ;)

Offline vicious796

• Box Fansubs
  • Little by little I'm going crazy
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 08:22:34 pm »
The Ender series by Orson Scott Card. Excellent Sci-Fi novels. I consider him the best Sci-Fi writer of this generation.

A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R. R. Martin. Compared heavily to that other R. R. guy ;P

It's not me - it's you.

Offline apo12

• animated music videos
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 01:11:55 pm »
Yeah A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best fantasy books .Btw did the 5fth book come out?

Offline vicious796

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »
The 5th book, A Dance with Dragons, was supposed to come out in the summer of 2006. Obviously, it did not. It's not scheduled for an official release in September of 2008.

I can't wait!

It's not me - it's you.

Offline apo12

• animated music videos
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 06:27:52 pm »
Well I will have to wait much longer since I am following the greek translation and that will take some time.I tried reading the fourth book in english but I had so many unknown words (you know stuff related to middle ages terminology ) and I gave up.I still have not found the time to read the fourth book but it is one of the first things I will do after finishing my exams .

Offline TorturdChaos

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 09:05:05 pm »
Cool a book thread.  Hmm lets see what to recommend.....

For Comedy, i love Pat McManus.  I have only read his collections of short stories, not his novals, but the short stories are hilarious.  He writes outdoor comedy, so humorous stories about hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, ect.  I would recommend him to anyone who likes to hunt or spend time outdoors, or who just wants a good laugh.

Mostly what i read though is fantasy, so:

I suggest the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.  Now from everyone i have talked to ppl seem to either love or hate this series.  The author is very idealistic, and characters do have a lot of stereotypically traits, but I think its a great read, and the series is finished now too.

My final suggestion: The Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  I'm not sure if i can sum up any of the plot w/o giving many keep points away, but i can say the story does bring to thought many questions about god(s), and good and evil.  I thought it was great read.  Also these are the same ppl who wrote a lot of the Dragon Lance Series, and the character Zifnab in Death Gate Cycle, is the same guy as a character in the Dragon Lance series, but can remember the guys name.

I could suggest many other series if any wants, but i think we are supposed to keep it to 3...and i have to go back to work :P

Just remember,  before you criticize someone, walk a mile in there shoes.  That way you are a mile away and have their shoes. :P

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 03:10:29 am »
*sticky*

Starting to read Agatha Christie. . .
its pretty interesting =)
Im reading "an unexpected visit" (in spanish tough. . .)
but i heard all of her books are good =D

Offline blad

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 11:55:27 am »
Hmmm, never thought it would come to this, but I've read or checked into all the books mentioned (though I could not obtain all of them), and I'd be very happy if a kind soul would point out a few more good titles. :)

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. By Douglas Adams.
sig & ava by DDE

Offline Blanchimont

• Dreamer through Time
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 03:40:13 pm »
I'm more into fantasy... Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
He's probably come closest to Tolkien in efforts of creating an entire 'believable' fantasy world(12 books, 11 released...)

There's a small twist though... The author died while working on the final installment, so it's a bit delayed... fantasy author Brandon Sanderson is in process of finishing it, with the help of Jordan's family and according to the notes Jordan left behind(he knew he didn't have much left, so he made sure others could finish it...)
Wikipedia link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

"..It's our dreams that guide us towards the future...not force"

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 03:55:33 pm »
Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
i dont read many books however i found my self wanting to read more of this book after reading the first chapter
its quite violent and the movie for it is quite bad
takes place in japan and has government project that takes kids to an island and tells em to off eachother in 3 days or they all day last one alive wins

AND GO

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Royale-Koushun-Takami/dp/156931778X

Offline BakaBT

• Admin
  • I am a system user, do not PM me
    • http://bakabt.me/
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 05:36:16 pm »
Originally posted by Malus:

stickied :)
I am a system user, do not PM me

Offline vicious796

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 06:34:39 pm »
I'm more into fantasy... Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
He's probably come closest to Tolkien in efforts of creating an entire 'believable' fantasy world(12 books, 11 released...)

There's a small twist though... The author died while working on the final installment, so it's a bit delayed... fantasy author Brandon Sanderson is in process of finishing it, with the help of Jordan's family and according to the notes Jordan left behind(he knew he didn't have much left, so he made sure others could finish it...)
Wikipedia link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

If you like the Wheel of Time you'd like the Song of Ice and Fire series. I find they have similar writing styles and chapter layouts.

It's not me - it's you.

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 06:47:54 pm »
You will like Song of Ice and Fire until all your favorite characters die. I can live with 1-2, but when it breached 5 I had nobody interesting to read about. Characters make a book for me, so SoIaF was a series I dropped.

Another recommendation is The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, it starts out with Sheepfarmer’s Daughter. It was her first successful work (that I know of) and I still avidly read each book that comes out.

(I generally like weak average dude with great destiny books, characters depending of course.)

Offline vicious796

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:35 pm »
But he replaces those characters with NEW ones that you can get in to. I like it, it makes the LONG series more tolerable.

It's not me - it's you.

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 09:05:30 pm »
I didn't get into any of the new ones, thus it died for me. Besides, I got a defensive mechanism against things like that. Why care when I know they will just die again?

Offline vicious796

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 10:48:06 pm »
To each his own, but alot of good plot twists have come into play. A-lot

It's not me - it's you.

Offline Quadlazer

• Animation Buff
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 02:43:42 am »
A varied list, but that's my reading style:

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk - His best book since Fight Club, and although it has a similar main character, it's an original story. See if you can figure out the ending. Also check out Invisible Monster and Choke. I'm reading Rant right now, so I'll let you know how it is in a week.

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris - If you listen to This American Life on NPR, then you know who David Sedaris is; his sister Amy play Jerri in Strangers with Candy. The book covers David's new life in Paris and the daily struggles therein. Lots of funny essays from one of America's greatest satirist (the best being Mark Twain).

If you are an American:
Are We Rome? by Cullen Murphy - A compare/contrast study between present-day America and ancient Rome. The similarities are startling, and given the final downfall of the Roman Empire, scary.

If not:
Anonymous Rex by Eric Garcia - OK...this is my most random recommendation. This series of books is set in present day Los Angeles, and follows a PI investigating the death of his partner. The twist? In this world, dinosaurs never died, and instead, they live among us undetected thanks to elaborate "human" suits. It's obviously a comedy. Lots of great humor in a detective noir style.

These are my "out there" recommendations...I have more if I get 3 more. It goes without saying that you should read the classics: Slaughterhouse Five, Of Mice and Men, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer , Lord of the Flies, A Wrinkle in Time, Through the Looking-Glass...too many to name here. Hopefully your high school English teacher exposed you to as many as possible.

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 12:26:31 am »
count of montecristo: that book is thicker then a couple of bibles 0.o

has anyone read the dante book? dont remember the name. . . i heard it was good and someone told me it was hella boring!

Offline adion

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »
I just finished reading Crossover by Joel Shepherd. Couldn't put it down, roughly 450 pages. Sci-fi, really interesting plot and reminds me startlingly of Ghost in the Shell. Author is Australian, and here the book was $15 (costly for a soft cover) but well worth it. Bought the second in the series (Breakaway) last weekend, looks good so far.

Offline sdedalus83

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 04:52:29 am »
Asoiaf - Hell yeah.  Martin had better get his ass in gear so I can read Dance before the end of the year.  I will subscribe to HBO just to see
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is absolutely hilarious.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.  It's set in the very distant future, after humans have colonized the galaxy.  The older, established colonies have coalesced into a single entity, and send out observers to monitor the progress of the other, more primitive colonies.  This follows the story of one such observer, sent to a planet with harsh weather conditions which forced the human population to become hermaphrodites in order to survive.  Ultimately it's about how the introduction of an individual with a clearly defined sexual and gender identity affects a society in which gender identity no longer exists.