Author Topic: Recommend-A-Book  (Read 136981 times)

Offline kamiccolo

Re: Recommend-A-Book
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 06:54:04 am »
I'm more into fantasy... Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
He's probably come closest to Tolkien in efforts of creating an entire 'believable' fantasy world(12 books, 11 released...)

There's a small twist though... The author died while working on the final installment, so it's a bit delayed... fantasy author Brandon Sanderson is in process of finishing it, with the help of Jordan's family and according to the notes Jordan left behind(he knew he didn't have much left, so he made sure others could finish it...)
Wikipedia link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Wheel of Time is an awesome series. I actually started it on audio book after I stumbled across it on isoHunt.  While it was an amazingly slow way to get through the 11 books that have been published so far, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Dune series by Frank Herbert. It's another good fantasy/sci-fi series. I've only read the 6 book series written by the author, not the prequel stuff written by his children/relatives.

I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson after my father recommended it to me. It's... well... here's what wikipedia says about it:

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon
Plot introduction

Cryptonomicon is closer to the genres of historical fiction and contemporary techno-thriller than to the science fiction setting of Stephenson's earlier novel, Snow Crash, and features fictionalized characterizations of such historical figures as Alan Turing, Douglas MacArthur, Winston Churchill, Isoroku Yamamoto, Karl Dönitz, Albert Einstein, and Ronald Reagan, as well as some highly technical and detailed descriptions of modern cryptography and information security, and subjects ranging from prime numbers and modular arithmetic to van Eck phreaking.

It jumps back and forth between characters in WWII, some who actively deal with the code breaking and others who act out orders to make it seem like we aren't actually breaking codes, just getting lucky, and characters in the modern day (1990ish) dealing with modern data encryption and such.

My paperback has 902 pages and I'm barely 1/4th of the way through it, but so far it has been very captivating. I will say that it does get a little technical here and there as it explains some of the cryptography concepts, but it's not too bad. I'll post later after I've finished, but I can tell it's good.

My favorite point so far involves one of the main characters, who is a math genius, taking an intelligence test for the Navy. Basically, he reads a simple math problem, makes it way too difficult, proves a new theorem that he gets published, and he is assigned to play the glockenspiel in one of the Navy's bands, because the test had shown he was not intelligent enough to do anything else. He does manage to later end up helping break codes, but I just thought that was hilarious.

Offline omegadragon

• Supporter of the Yandere Union
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 11:16:54 am »
dont know if its been mention yet, but I read The Last Wish recently and it was pretty good

Spreading the yandere love

Offline Hanako

• Box Fansubs
    • http://hanako.fortunecity.com
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 07:05:16 am »
Lol, I just bought The Last Wish an hour ago.  What are the odds.

I would recommend the Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs.  Kim Harrison's The Hollows series is also a fun read if you like supernatural, vamps and such.

I really loved The Wish List by Eoin Colfer. 
Its about a girl who dies and because her bad and good deeds balance, she has to come back to earth and tip the scale, one way or the other.  Great story, touching too.
When you find yourself falling into madness, dive!

Offline thaiger

• xanga ramblings...
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
I'm a HUGE romance novel fan (my vis. bookshelf on facebook will attest to that).

In the rare occurrence that someone else is interested in reading 'em, I recommend:

Ransom by Julie Garwood
Menage by Emma Holly
Jemima J by Jane Green
Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas
After the Night by Linda Howard
Love Me Forever by Johanna Lindsey
The Perfect Wife by Lynsay Sands
The Wind Dancer by Iris Johansen (I have to admit that while I enjoyed this book, I was actually more touched by the side story about Lorenzo and Lion's mother.)

...i'll add more non-romance titles soon... to prove that I read more than chick lit. :)

Offline taishiatl

• fatal blow to the shin of pride
    • Anime Katsuro
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2008, 08:20:30 am »
karamasov brothers by dostoevsky
crime and punishment
and notes from the underground both by dostoevsky
Sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind
I'm a stephen king nut so all of his books, but in particular gerald's game, the stand, and pet cemetery (this one scared him so he left it in his desk for six months, also his daughter almost died in the way one of the chars does in the book)
Swan song by robert mccammon
The helliconia trilogy by brian aldiss

Offline thaiger

• xanga ramblings...
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:08 am »
food related books:
The Soul of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman 
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten
A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain

cookbooks:
The French Laundry Cookbook by Thomas Keller and Michael Ruhlman
Demolition Desserts by Elizabeth Faulkner
Morimoto by Masaharu Morimoto
Paris Sweets by Dorie Greenspan
Bento Boxes by Naomi Kijima
Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

more to come...

Offline Quadlazer

• Animation Buff
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »
food related books:
The Soul of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman 
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten
A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain

What Einstein Told His Cook by Robert Wolke

If you love Good Eats, you'll like this book.

Offline thaiger

• xanga ramblings...
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 12:20:15 am »
i'm still reading The History of the World in Six Glasses and i'm trying to hunt down a used copy of Salt: A World History. i'll add wolke's book to the list. shpanks! :D

Offline Nikran

• Hei = A terrible, good-for-nothing, violent drunk.
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:37 am »
I'd like to think of myself as a fantasy and Sicence Fiction expert ;D I'll try and list some stuff no one else has posted yet. Here goes =P

Some Fantasy for u.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - is a great combination of detective story + fantasy. His characters and plot lines are really very good. The humor is great, espacially with harry being rude and offensive to just about everyone he meets.

The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher - A lesser known work of his. It's just as good as the dresden files, but in a diffirent way. The story gets much more gripping with each new book. I thought the series came to an end with the fourth book and was nicely satisfied. Now it turns out theres a fifth around the corner =P

The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan - Sonea would kick the crap out of Harry Potter ;D This has to be one of my all time favorite fantasy's. The story is great and the writers style works excellently. I also think it's a nice easy read which works in the favor of the book.

And some Sci-fi.

Nights dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton - Epic Sci-Fi. The concept it deals with is huge and mind blowing. The frist planet to be taken and the plot developments involving it is like resident evil on steriods :D Has one of my favorite endings of any book.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons Another Epic sci-fi. It has this great sense of mysteriousness about it. The frist book is written very intrestingly, as it's broken down into the pilgrams side stories, explaining how they became involved. Each is so diffrent from the other and unique. I felt horrified by the priests story and cracked up at the poets ;D The sic-fi elements and ideas are top class. Why can't we have a world-web, new busido and FORCE? :D

Im Sorry about going over the 3 book limit, I saw the thread and thought 'oww, i must share my wisdom,' before i read the frist post properly. And my apolgies for my poor discriptive skills on why these books r good  :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:15:53 am by Nikran »

"The Collectors killed you once and all that did was make you angry." Garrus, Mass Effect 2

Offline ett

• godspoken
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:20 pm »

Nights dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton - Epic Sci-Fi. The concept it deals with is huge and mind blowing. The frist planet to be taken and the plot developments involving it is like resident evil on steriods :D Has one of my favorite endings of any book.

I still do know if i love or hate the ending. Peter F Hamilton is one of my favorite authors cant wait for the Temporal Void to be release on October 3rd.

[Who are you people?! Where is everyone?!]

Offline Hanako

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2008, 01:10:22 am »
@Nikran

Maybe you can help me name this Scifi series.  If I could remember I would recommend it.

I read them about 10 years ago I think, and it was old then.  The books follow this mercenary around on his adventures.  He is the last of his race, belonging to a planet dedicating to raising mercs, basically the whole planets population is an army for hire, the best of the best.  Other groups or even planets would hire them out for defense or misc jobs.  Early on in the first book the whole merc planet gets irradiated, everyone dies except the protagonist, who was off planet at the time on a job or something.  He is flying home when he picks up a warning message someone managed to transmit before they died, warning any survivors away.  He receives it too late, and even though he turns around his proximity to the irradiated planet causes his bones to start disintegrating.
  A genius scientist finds him and replaces his entire skeletal structure with a near indestructible alloy.  The rest of the books are about our merc traveling around the universe taking on jobs and kicking ass, as he searches for those responsible for destroying his planet.

Awesome series, wish I could remember what it was called.

Offline Yalmuk

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 01:32:44 am »
Industrial Society and Its Future by Theodore John Kaczynski (Unabomber)

There are some good points in he's manifesto.
Lazy, stupid, and unproductive.

Offline Nikran

• Hei = A terrible, good-for-nothing, violent drunk.
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2008, 01:41:23 am »
@Nikran

Maybe you can help me name this Scifi series.  If I could remember I would recommend it.

I read them about 10 years ago I think, and it was old then.  The books follow this mercenary around on his adventures.  He is the last of his race, belonging to a planet dedicating to raising mercs, basically the whole planets population is an army for hire, the best of the best.  Other groups or even planets would hire them out for defense or misc jobs.  Early on in the first book the whole merc planet gets irradiated, everyone dies except the protagonist, who was off planet at the time on a job or something.  He is flying home when he picks up a warning message someone managed to transmit before they died, warning any survivors away.  He receives it too late, and even though he turns around his proximity to the irradiated planet causes his bones to start disintegrating.
  A genius scientist finds him and replaces his entire skeletal structure with a near indestructible alloy.  The rest of the books are about our merc traveling around the universe taking on jobs and kicking ass, as he searches for those responsible for destroying his planet.

Not one that i've read. Sorry. If i can remember, i will ask someone who might know what it is.

"The Collectors killed you once and all that did was make you angry." Garrus, Mass Effect 2

Offline sdedalus83

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2008, 05:19:12 am »
@Nikran

I'm not sure what that one is, but there's a similar series, the Vorkosigan Saga, that you might enjoy.  It definitely starts to wear out its welcome after a while, but it's still entertaining light sci fi.

Offline ett

• godspoken
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 09:32:41 pm »
Air by Geoff Ryman
Enormously clever written book with a great  protagonist , setting and story.

[Who are you people?! Where is everyone?!]

Offline Hanako

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 11:39:44 pm »
I'll check out the Vorkosigan Saga, thanks.  :)

And now you will not believe this, but after 30 min of mad brain storm googling I finally found the book!
It is the Last Legionary series by Douglas Hill, first book Galactic Warlord (1979).  (waay old, and I don't remember it having such a cheesy name)

So, I think I will read them again.  See if they are as good this time, I was much younger and easily entertained when I first read them.

*edit*
WTF! $50 for a copy of Galactic Warlord, and another in the series is going for $35 & $101 USED.  Thats worse than OOP disney movies.  I was thinking I might hit up Powell's next time I'm in the area, they are the king of OOP and used books.  Just checked their site and they don't seem to have any of them.  Must be a damn popular series or something.

I wonder if my old library still has the copies I read way back   :-\
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:54:50 pm by Hanako »

Offline sdedalus83

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2008, 03:43:59 am »
WTF! $50 for a copy of Galactic Warlord, and another in the series is going for $35 & $101 USED.  Thats worse than OOP disney movies.  I was thinking I might hit up Powell's next time I'm in the area, they are the king of OOP and used books.  Just checked their site and they don't seem to have any of them.  Must be a damn popular series or something.

I wonder if my old library still has the copies I read way back   :-\

abebooks.com, $1.40, $4.15 shipping from a US retailer with solid feedback.

Offline Ish

• Ish
    • ish
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2008, 08:25:08 am »
you guys should check out "Pretty little Mistakes." It has around 150 different endings all determined by the choices you make for the main character during the course of the story. You can choose to be an artist, entrepreneur or even a drug dealer, most of it is up to you. Usually you're in for a gruesome death though, no matter the choice.

Offline kyanwan

• 口寄せ・穢土転生!
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 05:46:38 am »
Seeing as we all like free stuff ... yarr

The Republic of Pirates - awesome read.  True stuff - talks about how people in this neck of the woods kicked ass even in the 1600's.  :P

I could barely put it down ... uh ... until I put it down.  :P

But, it's researched from firsthand documents & old historical records.   It's supposedly very accurate - as close to being there as you could get.   Killer if you like history/true story. 
Nothing.

Offline mgsvsff7

• let them hate me, so long as they fear me
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28:23 am »
i only have two books to recommend.

1984 by george orwell
american psycho by bret easton ellis.

these two books have changed the way i think about government and society.