Author Topic: Recommend-A-Book  (Read 136979 times)

Offline fohfoh

• Mod AznV~ We don't call it "Live Action"
Re: Recommend-A-Book
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 02:11:46 pm »
Stephen King - Cell

Good one. I liked it. Zombie-esque... but not brainless. :P

OH yeah... Roald Dahls' "Bitch" was a good short story. Awesome adult story from the guy who wrote Charlie and the Choclate Factory. :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:47:40 pm by fohfoh »
This is your home now. So take advantage of everything here, except me.

Offline Proin Drakenzol

• Tiny Dragon Powers of Doom!
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »
I recommend the book Peter Pan. I'm re-reading it and I still fucking love it.

The linear nature of your Euclidean geometry both confounds and befuddles me.

Offline fohfoh

• Mod AznV~ We don't call it "Live Action"
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:47 am »
I think i'll grab some copies of Roald Dahl and reread those. So many fucking awesome books such as:

esio troT
Fantanstic Mr Fox
The Twits
The Vicar of Nibbleswick (love this one)
Revolting Rhymes (Extremely good one too)
This is your home now. So take advantage of everything here, except me.

Offline kamiccolo

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 07:53:38 pm »
...Revolting Rhymes (Extremely good one too)

I love this one! It's short, but hilarious. I still have it in hardback around here somewhere...

Offline kyubixmunky

• Nine-Tailed Demon Monkey Fox
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 06:36:31 am »
How in the hell has nobody mentioned the Forgotten realms or Dragon lance series???

Fantasy

Well the starter kit of Forgotten realms is The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore Its about a Dark elf named Drizz't Do' Urden who has purple eyes which is uncommon in the underdark. He can see in both the darkness and light without changing eye spectrums. He sports the dual scimtars for weapons and has a bigger moral sense than most of his race. He escapes from the dark elf world and goes to the surface and befriends a dwarf and other peoples.

Dragon Lance series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman Get the ones where they co-op on their books. Separately they don't fare so well. Its about a bastard half-elf that travels around with a set of twins (one a warrior and the other a black mage that is a total badass), and a couple of other people. I read this in like 7th grade, because my brother suggested the series to me. Its a more mature book than I should've been reading suffice it to say and so I don't remember much. But its a sweet read.

The Speed of Darkness by Tracy Hickman He does a good job on this one. It's set in the Starcraft world, but don't expect it to be about Jim Raynor or Kerrigan or anything. It's about a Marine's life and how the Terran Government recruits their Marines and the corruption and such. Really different, but good.

Comedy

Nuklear Age by Brian Clevinger It makes fun of the Golden age of superheroes and has more easter eggs than you can find. It's about an incompetent superhero named, Nuklear Man and his more competant and video game loving sidekick, Atomik Lad. There's a bunch of other heroes involved, too. Well, there's a giant crab, mall zombies, a group of rag tag villains, a supervillain, a couple of guys from outer space much like the krypton invaders from superman, and a lot of other things. Not all at once though, I mean, that's just absurd. It's meant to be read like a comic book.

The Alphabet of Manliness by Maddox I wouldn't consider it a novel, but its more like a dictionary of sorts, about all things manly. It's freaking hilarious.

Other

Haruhi Suzumiya Light Novels- Get on that if you haven't already. Seriously. You might wanna google a torrent for this one translated though, seeing as how it's japanese.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller- I'm not necessarily sure what it's about. But it's about catch-22. Got any questions why anything is? the answer is catch 22.

A Prayer for Owen Meany- A short kid with a high voice who predicts his own death. He joins the ROTC program in college and realizes his own meaning for life. It's about this kids life and his journey through it with his friend.

I'd like to Re-recommend The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for whoever mentioned it before. It's about the life of a shepherd who becomes an alchemist. Don't think of this like Full metal alchemist kind of alchemist or anything, because it's not. This thing is life changing. But hey, there's still references to the Sorcerer's stone (the Emerald Tablet for those who are well versed in alchemy, yea it was a real science way back when), turning lead into gold, etc.

There's more but I'm too lazy to look em up.

Edit: Oops, I'm sorry. I didn't catch the part about there being 3 recommendations max. I was going back to look up a couple of books and I just noticed. Really sorry. But, they are all good books.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:46:07 am by kyubixmunky »

Offline Nikran

• Hei = A terrible, good-for-nothing, violent drunk.
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 12:07:25 am »
Kyubixmunky has my respect ;D He's spot on about forgotten realms and dragon lance, I own both but didn't get round to recommending them. Raistlin Majere and Drizzt Do'Urden are both incredible cool and powerful beyond belief. Haha, both books also have very nice bad guys in them, Death Knight Lord Soth (He's like one of my Hero's) and the greater tanarii Errtu ;D

"The Collectors killed you once and all that did was make you angry." Garrus, Mass Effect 2

Offline kyubixmunky

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:56 am »
Errtu. way badass.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline blad

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:47 am »
I'd like to Re-recommend The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for whoever mentioned it before. It's about the life of a shepherd who becomes an alchemist. Don't think of this like Full metal alchemist kind of alchemist or anything, because it's not. This thing is life changing. But hey, there's still references to the Sorcerer's stone (the Emerald Tablet for those who are well versed in alchemy, yea it was a real science way back when), turning lead into gold, etc.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. By Douglas Adams.
sig & ava by DDE

Offline kyubixmunky

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:48 am »
^the alchemist

Offline NikkiBluvNU

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2008, 06:34:56 pm »
I recommend
The Twilight Saga- for any girl who dies for a love story should read these, you get hooked (though i know a few guys whose read em shh...)
Inheritance Trilogy- after the Eragon movie i was drawn to the books which are much better by the way

Offline blad

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2008, 03:35:38 am »
About the Alchemist:

Back on topic; recommendation- The Love Story by Erich Segal. Sweet little Sunday afternoon read, in my mind somewhat similar to the Time Traveler's Wife.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. By Douglas Adams.
sig & ava by DDE

Offline kyubixmunky

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2008, 04:25:49 am »
Ah, you're right.

Offline blad

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2008, 05:20:19 am »

Another recommendation: Nana by Emile Zola. Written by a naturalist, the style is very crude and undoubtably realistic, sometimes even unpleasant. An interesting read though.

sig & ava by DDE

Offline foshixle

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2008, 09:17:24 pm »
I don't know if this was said(as I only skimmed the last few pages) but I'd recommend anything by Jack London. I love how he writes so it paints such a vivid picture in your head.

I also would recommend John Dies At The End, I'm not even sure why I like it as it reads like it was written by someone in a mental institution... Wait, thats probably why I like it!  :P

I don't really read much

Offline DeadSpaceX

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2008, 09:09:29 am »
CS Friedman, Coldfire trilogy
Stephen R Donaldson, Gap series and the chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Isaac Asimov, anything (Foundation series)
Fred Saberhagen, berserker series, and nearly anything else ^^
Keith Laumer (with others) Bolo series
Glen Cook, the black company series, dread empire series, Garret PI series
Robert Asprin, anything, Mythadventures especially...if you don't mind puns.
Alan Dean Foster, anything
Larry Niven, Arthur C Clarke, Robert Bloch, Philip K Dick, Ray Bradbury, Roger Zelazny (Nine Princes of Amber), Terry Goodkind, and EE 'Doc' Smith's Lensmen series, old, but one of the few that got turned into an anime...albeit a bad one.
Just a few, i tend to be a rabid reader resisted the urge to peruse my bookselves for more ^^
Donate a brain, zombies in Washington DC are starving.

Offline Mcgreag

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2008, 09:17:16 pm »
A Fire upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
These some of the best Sci-Fi ever written. What mostly strikes you are his presentation of the alien races. While they are not humaniod in any way  (one is a race of large spider like creatures while the other a dog like race which thinks is a sort of small hive mind) by the end of the book because of the way he describes them they will feel almost more human than the human characters.

Fool's War by Sarah Zettle
A very different take on AI's and with Sarah being a female author you also get a bit different viewpoint and perspective than most male authors would provide.
Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason.

Offline KoNekoChan

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2008, 05:58:46 am »
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I suck at summaries, but Google has good results for them.

Offline SakiXen

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2008, 12:58:25 am »
Up Till Now: The Autobiography
David Fisher
If you are expecting the usual Hollywood tell all book you are going to be disappointed. William Shatner shares some very interesting stories going back to his early roles in the Stratford Shakespearian festival up to present day roles as the spokesman for All Bran and as Denny Crane in Boston Legal. A MUST HAVE for any fan.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip Jose Farmer
Ever wondered what happens after you die? Philip Jose Farmer has an interesting answer in this story. A very creative spin on life after death. Anyone who loves classic si-fi MUST read this book. Though this is the first part of a series I do feel that it does go down-hill from here.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Max Brooks
Zombies!  Really, what more needs to be said about this book. Also check out his book The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Living Dead.

Offline Proin Drakenzol

• Tiny Dragon Powers of Doom!
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 09:24:56 am »
How in the hell has nobody mentioned the Forgotten realms or Dragon lance series???

Fantasy

Well the starter kit of Forgotten realms is The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore Its about a Dark elf named Drizz't Do' Urden who has purple eyes which is uncommon in the underdark. He can see in both the darkness and light without changing eye spectrums. He sports the dual scimtars for weapons and has a bigger moral sense than most of his race. He escapes from the dark elf world and goes to the surface and befriends a dwarf and other peoples.

Dragon Lance series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman Get the ones where they co-op on their books. Separately they don't fare so well. Its about a bastard half-elf that travels around with a set of twins (one a warrior and the other a black mage that is a total badass), and a couple of other people. I read this in like 7th grade, because my brother suggested the series to me. Its a more mature book than I should've been reading suffice it to say and so I don't remember much. But its a sweet read.

The Speed of Darkness by Tracy Hickman He does a good job on this one. It's set in the Starcraft world, but don't expect it to be about Jim Raynor or Kerrigan or anything. It's about a Marine's life and how the Terran Government recruits their Marines and the corruption and such. Really different, but good.

Comedy

Nuklear Age by Brian Clevinger It makes fun of the Golden age of superheroes and has more easter eggs than you can find. It's about an incompetent superhero named, Nuklear Man and his more competant and video game loving sidekick, Atomik Lad. There's a bunch of other heroes involved, too. Well, there's a giant crab, mall zombies, a group of rag tag villains, a supervillain, a couple of guys from outer space much like the krypton invaders from superman, and a lot of other things. Not all at once though, I mean, that's just absurd. It's meant to be read like a comic book.

The Alphabet of Manliness by Maddox I wouldn't consider it a novel, but its more like a dictionary of sorts, about all things manly. It's freaking hilarious.

Other

Haruhi Suzumiya Light Novels- Get on that if you haven't already. Seriously. You might wanna google a torrent for this one translated though, seeing as how it's japanese.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller- I'm not necessarily sure what it's about. But it's about catch-22. Got any questions why anything is? the answer is catch 22.

A Prayer for Owen Meany- A short kid with a high voice who predicts his own death. He joins the ROTC program in college and realizes his own meaning for life. It's about this kids life and his journey through it with his friend.

There's more but I'm too lazy to look em up.

Edit: Oops, I'm sorry. I didn't catch the part about there being 3 recommendations max. I was going back to look up a couple of books and I just noticed. Really sorry. But, they are all good books.

Drizzt is lame and Dragonlance sucks (Forgotten Realms for the win).

Arilyn Moonblade is way cooler, IMO. and Danilo Thann is just awesome.

You can't beat the half-elf harper assassin wielding and ancient elven artifact and her human lover who's a mage/bard (actually spellsinger, but why quibble) spellcasting prodigy and the protege of Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:28:21 am by Proin Drakenzol »

The linear nature of your Euclidean geometry both confounds and befuddles me.

Offline kyubixmunky

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 12:30:54 pm »
I have not gotten to that one yet. But You've piqued my curiosity. Do tell.