Author Topic: Recommend-A-Book  (Read 137499 times)

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
Re: Recommend-A-Book
« Reply #640 on: March 21, 2017, 12:41:39 am »
I only read self-help books.

Some I can recommend are:

Men are from Mars Women are from Venus
The Law of Attraction
The Miracle of Mindfulness

These are all great books that I think should be mandatory to read. Especially for students.

You may enjoy The Oz Principle.  My company bought into their program for a bit.  I generally roll my eyes at this kind of stuff, but to be fair, this book did make some valid points.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #641 on: March 21, 2017, 07:53:03 am »
I only read self-help books.

Some I can recommend are:

Men are from Mars Women are from Venus
The Law of Attraction
The Miracle of Mindfulness

These are all great books that I think should be mandatory to read. Especially for students.

im sure this is relevant.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #642 on: March 23, 2017, 06:42:14 am »
Tarzan of The Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the only book I ever read! :laugh: (In a time there wore no computers or TV cable in my word - an ancient, long forgotten time) It's the 1st volume out of many, many other sequels. I remember the 1st description of Tarzan's 1st enemy, a gorilla as being a "mountain of flesh with 2 small red eyes inserted in a little hill risen on top of it". Cool book. Reading is nice but takes too much time, sometimes even at some movies I am bored if the action doesn't take a quick enough pace. And by action I mean meaningful interactions between people. :happy:
It's what anime characters lack, good dialogue and detailed descriptions of what the characters feel, that you find in books. As feelings can be somewhat compensated on the gesture detail department, the dialogue can not. I wish anime would be made with the inspirations and complexities of book dialogues. It would reign supreme then in our worlds by far, I think. Although Tarzan is not exactly a good example of book dialogue. :laugh:
How do I know books have great dialogue if I haven't read almost anything? Well, it's simple, there have been made many, many movies out of the great books, which I've seen thousands of, and the dialogue is the part of books that is preserved inside movies the easiest. Doesn't need special effects. :happy:

I do miss the superb, unmatched descriptions that almost solely books can provide though (as I have given a good example there), but as I am more of a technical person rather then an aestethics amateur, I can easily ignore the need to find out more of them. Although, the inbound need in me for anime to have better dialogue can reside in the fact I didn't read enough detailed, glamorous descriptions; and I sometimes found them in the dialogue/monologue of the characters portrayed by the great writers (copied in some movies) that have layered inside them some colorful descriptions and glamorous works of lyrical art. We who don't read books because of whatever reasons, need more of that, I certainly do.
The only true minus but a mighty BIG ONE that books have, is that the action takes so much time to unfold that even the masterful descriptions of places, events and inner struggles can't make up for it. That's why people have given up reading for the much faster way of finding meaningful information in the later decades. I feel I've gotten off track again... damn, I'm just gonna stop.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:30:22 am by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #643 on: March 23, 2017, 04:28:19 pm »
I've been going back through my growing library of books and just finished the Lost Fleet series.  Go read it.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.