Author Topic: FF VII Remake + FF XIII [1, 2, 3] + FF XV [FF XV release date tonight]  (Read 88107 times)

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
Re: FF VII Remake + FF XIII [1, 2, 3] + FF XV [FF XV release date tonight]
« Reply #1000 on: February 20, 2017, 09:33:45 pm »
All my fears about Final Fantasy VII Remake are coming true.
It's going to be as 'good' as the original?

Mwhahaha.
maybe it won't be as boring this time and I'll actually bother finishing it :P

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #1001 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »
The problem I see with this combat system and gameplay from what was already shown or explained is that I don't see Melee combat being fluid, I don't see how the ywill let you fight Emerald Weapon, or any Weapon for that matter in their respective envirenment, but Emerald would be the hardest to pull off. I don't see how Jenova fights will work out in confined spaces like Shinra Tower Top, Ship storage. There's a lot of scripted enemies that are simply HUGE and they will shift those battles to action and I don't think they will not give us QT, I'm pretty damn sure they will include those accursed things.

We already know they will not involve minigames in the game so riding the bike or snowbard is probably not going to happen, I wonder how they will solve the problems that will happen with Huge Materia questline. I also wonder how they will solve teh second mech boss near Sector 8 Reactor, that place is mega confined and I don't see an Action DMC style of combat there, cuz that's what they bring FF7 down to.

I also question what the fuck is grenades for ? Is Magic not enough anymore ? I mean, I know the game had all sorts of grenades and bombs, but seriously the game was doable without using a single one of them and with destructible environment I don't know how they plan on solving the Melee combat with Bosses, especially with Weapons, without QT and scripted miraculous ways to defeat them DMC style.

Cuz that's what they are bringing us.
It's proof enough that S-E is dumping FF series, and if anyone still believes otherwise, then shame on you. FFXV was teh last in the series, I'm pretty damn sure of that.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline blackhole

« Reply #1004 on: February 25, 2017, 08:39:22 am »
Wow so much bashing in teh comments, I agree with most, after releasing a story flop like this you can't seriously expect people to just jump in on a hat DLC to see if it changes the game in any way.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #1005 on: February 25, 2017, 10:00:01 am »
While XV's story does leave a lot to be desired due to the way it was exhibited in-game, especially for fans who bought into the FF franchise primarily for story, I don't consider it "unfinished" or a "rushed mess". I noticed from watching some videos of the plot flowing all at once that there is a clear direction throughout and it wraps up by the end; the main problem seems to stem from chapter details not sticking after roaming the open world after some amount of time, so when the open world was left behind it felt like the rest of the plot just rushed all the way when really the pacing hasn't actually changed by that much.

Nevermind that though. It seems as if the mere existence of FFXV right now really tests the maturity of whoever talks about it. Of peeps who played it, some claim it has a shit ton of flaws without actually elaborating, but if they so happen to mention a few points and another person refutes a particular point (e.g. about AI), they outright dismiss the counterpoint. Dude in one of the comments in the link above states he had a lot of fun, but then says he's done as if those 80 hours didn't matter (shit son, I'd kill for 80 extra hours, and this amount of playtime from new game only covers at best two fifths of end game, assuming it's not on easy mode); I can't exactly reliably tell whether this guy actually enjoyed it or got fed up with it after wasting time trying to. Others claim the game sucks due to not inheriting the entirety of the undeveloped Versus XIII (in other words, "cutting content" that most likely didn't even really exist in the first place, or at least not past experimental stages), or simply because Nomura (Kingdom Hearts dude) didn't direct to finish, which is odd. And there was that one false rumor that an optional boss would take 72 hours to kill (which took me ~20min). Ultimately, as a whole all those complaints (not to be confused with the actual proper criticisms) are collectively contradictory.

Then there's folks like me who actually enjoyed the game past its story, and bought the season pass because we felt like it and aren't compelled to explain why we were in it for the sombrero :laugh:.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:08:28 am by megido-rev.M »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #1006 on: February 25, 2017, 05:48:49 pm »
I think FFXIII Versus actually had a lot of content, but they took majority of it out and made FFXIII outside what was later FFXV, then they wrone a script for the movie, and the anime, because this would be cheaper to make it a filler for the lack of content that was simply torn out of Versus. Afterwards they decided to remove more content to put Anime+Movie+Game into a single story, they modified the combat system, added some things like Eidolon system, with glorious fanservice of Shiva.

I think they simply finished this game cuz it was bleeding. Honestly I think this game is a flop, and it's especially possible because of SEs tendency to give a lot of possibilities to their studios, holding a firm grip, and not exactly making sure it's doing fine, until it's too late. SE has a history of games that were bad, just not disastrous. FFXV is not a disaster, it's playable full Demo of what the game could become, and it clearly shows it. Visuals are great and apparently people took liking to DMC combat. Which is ok if you think battle commands in ATB turn based system is too difficult for your brain, I don't think it needs quotation if you can google why they want to remove commands with FF7 Remake, believing that people are stupid and will buy it cuz it looks good.

The game in my opinion is bad (FFXV) and not because it has a bad combat system, or has bigger plot holes than High School of the Dead.

The game is bad, because it simply is not what it could have been. It could have been a carefully planned, designed and polished product. It's not it, the producer of the game doesn't want to admit defeat and plans on patching the game post-release, however patches are supposed to fix teh game, remove errors, bugs, glitches, things that don't work.
In the case of FFXV this means fixing the entire game by adding important content, something someone who did NOT see the movie, or the anime (which was pretty damn bad and not that much more interesting than the games travel by car mode save for 2 eps tha thad something interesting in them) could enjoy and discover.

The game actually has an aprox of 35 mins of plot. And that's probably up for debate because the game has many cutscenes, but only a fraction of them is important to the plot.
They literally make you explore the entirety of teh game to actually have an ending they dare calling "True" ending, simply to show you additional 10 secs of video in the endings.

That's a pretty damn bad approach, and makes little sense. In FFX-2 you had to do a similar thing, explore everything, collect everything and do some or a lot of side questing in order to get a true ending, however in FFX-2 everything you unlocked had a direct connection to the plot, being in any place at any given time had a consequence and not doing anything also had some consequence. Completing the game without doing anything outside of the main story, gives you a pretty damn boring and uninteresting ending. Doing teh same thing in FFXV, you get pretty much the proper ending without a 10-15 secs of content after the credits that explain NOTHING, it's just something like Kojimas jokes in MGS5TFP completion unlocks.

S-E Trolled "loyal FF Fans" and they won, they created a hype with several trailers, and people bit the bait. Did you learn anything from FF13 ? nope, you took the bait exactly the same way.

This is why I am just a fan of teh series, with exception of few parts.

I played and loved 1-7, I enjoyed 8 a lot, 9 was really good, DX had a very interesting story, but teh combat system was bullshit, X-2 has exactly what FFX lacked, enjoyable combat system with a very mediocre story, combine FFX with X-2 and you would have a real successful game, enjoyable in every possible RPG way. FFXI was great, although graphically is sucked, the gameplay was incredible and a lot of fun, teh story of the game and it's lore was also quite enjoyable. FFXII for some is a really great game, but for me, the game has an interesting combat system, a great story (and no one will say otherwise) and probably 3 great characters, the game itself was great but many of it's characters lacked personality, FFXII Revenant fixed a lot of it, but the game itself had downgraded in other aspects, FFXIII had actually a story, and 2 great characters, the game would be a success without teh rest of the playable characters, their personalities were so bland and shallow it was cringing to experience. FFXIII-2 was ......... I dunno what it was, I know what it wasn't, it was not entertaining at all. FFXIII-3 ... same as -2, and then we have a rewturn to teh roots with FFXIV, you have a strict class system, pretty much taken out from FFT and FFTA, combined with FFXI combat system, and an incredibly immersive world and lore, teh story is teh main aspect of the MMO, you can't actually access some of teh content if you do not follow the story, litewrally fantastic execution, tons of content (competitive with WoW) and the yconstantly add new content periodically so you never really get bored, and afte rthat came ... FFXV. A cockblock game that doesn't have a beginning, the middle and teh end, teh game that rewards you wit ha slightly better ending if you spend hours upon hours playing it's entire ... boring content, with only one aspect of it being praised: Combat.

I'm not being biased.
I'm not being a fanatic.
I like games that have a complete and immersive story to tell.
I can play a game wit ha very badly ending story (I played BioShock Infinite+DLC) and I loved the game, the combat was good but the game has over 3 hours of story content (Inifinite+DLC) and it wraps up better than most games I ever played, so it's possibel to make a game in 2 years with over 3 hours of story content, but it's hard to make a complete game over 10 years (I'm not buying the change name and do overs, it started at FF XIII VERSUS and then was constantly being abandoned) and take teh same amount of money as for a complete game ?

Congrats, you fed a troll.
People keep feeding publishers with money for products they don't complete and release as complete.

This is why we get 90% shit games every year.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #1007 on: February 26, 2017, 08:30:08 am »
I'm kinda inclined to believe you're speaking less of the game itself and more from disdain toward how the company operates. In a sense I do agree SE executed poorly, because to some degree the initial failure of XIV had impacted XV's development due to SE's decision to pull resources into the remake of XIV. But then as it turns out to be a game you are enjoying, would you rather they had left XIV as it was?

Anyway, I don't believe Versus XIII (which I originally never heard of) had anything substantial enough to be considered 'content'. If it did have a ton of it (beyond assets) the spin-off wouldn't have needed rewrites and been all but abandoned.
Perhaps it did have lot of ideas going for it (Nomura does tend to do this sorta thing a lot, like wanting to turn it into a musical), but early concepts don't exactly have much to show for themselves until they're actually established in development.
Of the stuff that was inherited in the rebranding, the implementation would have to undergo technology and structural conversions. Maybe there were cutscenes and such, but if those elements couldn't be fit in due to some inconsistencies, then they become a liability. The reason FFXV is a considered separate entity with a 3yr production time is because most of its aspects didn't even originate from the initial work.
I don't believe much of anything from Versus XIII besides possibly character models was used to produce the movie (which was produced by the CGI studio, not the folks who developed the actual game albeit they're all tied to the same overall production). Never saw it myself, so I can't say much about it.

On about what the game potentially could have been, it seems to fall more on a concern of technology that they didn't have yet, or of what they did have needed experimentation because practical application of what was displayed in the earlier Versus XIII trailers proved to be a challenge (though having more indoor segments during the boss battle in question would have been a nice touch even without the dynamic environments). In that sense, the subject matter discussed in the article is basically a step in the right direction.
For the part about adding important content though, it really depends on what it's important to, because from my understanding it has nothing to do with the other media and more of putting a clearer context for certain scenarios in the game (some criticisms about certain dialogue coming out of nowhere, or the offscreen events). Things like additional main story dungeons I would consider very important and should be there already, but that's not what the coming updates are about.

XV's beginning point is a bit debatable, but the one that was picked does make sense. It's middle parts do indeed exist, albeit again they are a tad hard to keep track due to any number of ways a player can do some other thing at any time that's not linear. But the ending isn't even a question here; I don't know what clickbait you read/watched, but there is most certainly only one ending in the game.
As for length, I can't exactly measure accurately due to the way it was executed, but taking the time needed to go through the main questline only and cutting it by two thirds, it's still substantially more than half an hour.

The thing about XIII, I don't actually know what the plot is. I watched some gameplay firsthand and the only thing I took note of was the rather automated battle system and linear pathways (the fork is a lie). Otherwsie I don't have an opinion for it other than the question of why it's a trilogy (I did like XIII-2's OST though).
For some reason I only barely remember some of XII's plot, and those were mostly because they became memes. Maybe the story was great and the script didn't do enough justice for it all the while.

For ATB turned based battle system I don't really have an opinion of, but one aspect I don't quite like is RNG misses if nothing is moving and there's no way to acquire a blindside. There's an end-game dungeon involving 100 enemy battles (with save point after every 10), and apparently players were complaining how long it was and how it drained all their stock of curatives. I'm sitting here having only used 5 items through the whole thing, because dodging/blocking is a mechanic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:33:30 am by megido-rev.M »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #1008 on: February 26, 2017, 11:22:21 am »
Actually ATB in FF4-9 and turn based system doesn't have a RNG miss, it's actually calculable like in many games with HIT value, and if there is no HIT value, it used to be determined by ATK value or Dexterity value. ATK value is pretty much in every FF game except XI and XIV which have clear hit values and rules that they follow. For example in FF7 you have a hit value in numbers and percentage, even if your hit is 100% it doesn't mean you can't miss, it means that fighting an enemy with the same defence/evade stats as you, you will hit them every time, but someone slightly better, you will miss a few hits. The Value of 255% means you can't miss under any circumstances, and you will hit very often if your character is blinded (blind in FF7 doesn't actually happen often though) and in FF8 only 2 characters can have their stats set to 255% hit value without junction.

When I said XIII VERSUS had a lot of content I didn't mean it was anywhere near halfway done or completion, it just had a fair amount of assets at the time the videos were being presented, and nothing from those videos from 10 years ago don't even contain many assets from back then in the current game. Imagine what this game would be if they combined FFXIII with XV. It would actually look like a properly designed game, and I don't mean combat system which in FFXIII is artificial, it has nothing to do with what was in the trailers and what was promised, which is why it's a big flop.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The game is so linear that it hurts, there aren't even cities to deal with, periodically you encounter a terminal wit ha shop where you can sell buy and upgrade, which is basically the stupidest FF concept ever, they even admitted they were too lazy to make cities or areas where yo ucan interact and do stuff. This didn't change much in XIII-2, it was a little bit less linear, but still quite linear and stupid to boot.

The game is even more stupid than teh first one, still people bought it.

XIII-3 A.K.A. Lightning Returns is an idealogical game really.
At least in XIII-3 you have a limited time to play so you won't be sticking to this game much, and after you complete the game you don't even return to it because you realize it's a 49.99$(on release) time troll that doesn't want you to play this game at all after you complete it.

Tell me, will you replay ffXV?
Have you level capped ?
Do you feel satisfied after completing the game ?

YES/NO

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #1009 on: February 27, 2017, 06:30:32 am »
Well shit, that's the most ridiculously crafted plotline for a trilogy I've ever heard of. At least now I can guess why Nomura wanted to move on from just character design to go helm a spin-off of XIII, even though he really should be getting KH3 going.

Tell me, will you replay ffXV?
Have you level capped ?
Do you feel satisfied after completing the game ?

[YES]/NO

Yep, I'm planning on running a NG+ once I finish the last end-game dungeon (the one that disables item usage). While wearing this hat the whole time too.
I'll most likely wait for the first DLC which is dropping at the same time as the next update this month, since I'm trying to squeeze time for a couple of other games (Neptunia VII and Disgaea 5).

As far as leveling goes, with the bounties and EXP modifiers it's surprisingly easy to reach level 99 in this game compared to other games (hence a lot of players complaining that they over level after going out of their way to do sidequests).
With the recent cap increase, each additional level up to 120 required about 1.07 million EXP per level (as opposed to to the 7-8 million to go from 1 to 99), but thanks to that 100-floor dungeon and the Cactuar Genocide of 2017 I've already hit the new cap without much hassle. Not exactly sure why it was increased other than the possibility of harder monsters later, as there are only two optional bosses right now that are levels 110 and 120, both of which can be killed at level 99.

So yeah, I'm quite satisfied after completing the game (ignoring the last dungeon for a moment). I enjoyed it way more than say Titanfall 2 even though that game has a lot of merits going for it.
Were this not the case I wouldn't have such an easy time deciding whether to buy the season pass in January.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #1010 on: March 11, 2017, 01:08:43 am »
More news from the front:

-You will be able to swap characters even during combat, you can use cover, the game will be more stealth tactic than originally (tehre was one moment in the original where you avoided combat)
-Boss battles are going to be massive
-ATB is obsolete
-Since there are no transitions with random encounters several Materia will become Obsolete:
*All/Mega All
*Final Attack
*Counter/Magic Counter/Counterattack
*Pre-eptive Materia/Enemy Lure/Chocobo Lure(this one is dependant on random encounters, they will likely replace it with Gyshahl Greens lure mechanic)
*Long Range
*Underwater
*HP/MP Absorb
*HP<>MP
*MP Turbo
*EXP/SPEED/HP/Gil Plus Materia
*Enemy Skill
*Deathblow
*Steal/Mug will be replaced or removed altogether.
*Summon Magic Materia (There will be no summons, and I have no idea how they will resolve several scenes that involve them, probably change them completely)
*Added Element/Status Materia
*Manipulate (Will likely remain as Cait-Sith individual ability)
*Sense (There won't be a need for this materia cuz data will be tracked on the go)
*Status Inducing Materia (Sleep, Slow, Stop, Haste[might remain but not sure what for since it's an action game now], silence, blind [might remain but dunno what for], Death/Sudden Death, flare, break) as there is no need for those.
*Full Cure will most likely be removed.
*Shield will be removed
*Barrier/MBarrier/Wall will be changed to a module for armor, will not count as materia although it will be a materia induced mod for characters to improve defensive ability.
*Mystify (Confusion will probably be induced by Barret with his grafted gun)
*Gravity Materia
*Comet Materia
*Transform (I don't think they will let us change enemies into frogs or items)
*Ultima (Yeah, forget this one)
*Full-Cure (this as well)
*Sneak Attack
*Steal as well
*Slash-All
*W Item/Magic/Summon

-Limit will likely not be an option you can use freely, there will be conditions to use it, very possible you will be allowed to use it only during Boss Battles or very difficult scripted moments.

Materia that will remain in the game:

Materia system will be changed to look more like in Cerberus where you was going around the world as Vincent, Materia will be implemented into weapon or armor to enhance it's ability.
Elemental Materia and healing Materia will allow casting spells on the go using MP like in Cerberus, there will be no cooldown although you will likely not even use the elemental materia cuz in an action game like this it's not even important any more.

Elemental Materia that will be available
-Fire/Fira/Firaga
-Blizzard/Blizzara/Blizzaga
-Thunder/Thundara/Thundaga
-Earth(?)*
-Poison(?)*

Curative Materia that will be available
-Cure/Cura/Curaga
-Esuna
-Regen (Maybe, but unlikely)
-Haste (Maybe, but more likely to be as armor mod)

* Earth will come in one level, but will be evolvable into 3 levels, very likely the names will end up being Tremor/Quake/Disaster.
* Very likely Poison will make it into the game, it will be a weapon mod however and will probably take a slot for materia, if you install it into a weapon then you won't be using materia of any element or curative in that weapon. FF7 Cerberus didn't limit character weapons to just one, Vincent could swap weapons on the go so you could have up to 3 weapons with different materia in it. I'm betting this is what they want to do.

Those changes explain changes to teh world and story, Since Materia was teh drive of the main game villain (Shinra was making Materia with Mako reactors) I'm expecting the main villain MO to change drastically, this will also force a change with Aerith's role, and most definitely Yuffie's role in her character quest. Although considering how far the first part of the game will take us I doub't we will even get the quests like that. With Limit Breaks not being planned to be used, we will not be doing Limit hunts. No Summons will also change the way we battle without them and fighting some enemies will be slightly harder, although the game being action game I think they will make it hilariously easy. Say goodbye to Knights of the Round too.

All this is hypothesis based on gathered information presented already to this date.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #1011 on: March 11, 2017, 03:21:59 am »
FF XII for PS4. I think this is the best collector's edition IMO. Well, wait for PC of course, but it is indeed tempting. Reward for being a loyal console user, huh.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #1012 on: March 11, 2017, 05:05:47 am »
$200?!

Offline blackhole

« Reply #1013 on: March 11, 2017, 08:10:31 am »
Just like stormblood, people pay 200 for an expac, no wonder S-E got greedy, people will pay anyway.

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #1014 on: March 11, 2017, 08:20:44 am »
$200?!
probably cuz the statue things

Offline blackhole

« Reply #1015 on: March 11, 2017, 08:32:30 am »
If Penelo poses like a pin up girl, I could actually buy it :D
That Ashe pose is nice too.

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #1016 on: March 11, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »
I like the chess pieces or those statues much more than figure though. I might have invested in one of those should more of that were made.

Homu-Homu is troubled