Author Topic: Alert Baka. Funimation/NISA acquires new titles.  (Read 93406 times)

Offline blubart

Re: Alert Baka. Funi now acquires new titles.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 03:03:40 pm »
i think the same of ghost in the shell. The movie was taken and made into a platinum version by the licnsee; so obviously they thought it was high profile.

So i dont think they should be granted; at least not easily like they seem to be
where does GitS come from now?
the reason to withhold high profile releases of ex-adv licenses is because we don't know if Aesir still holds the license and whether they continue the C&D policy of ADV.
GitS is nowhere near those known-to-send-c&d licensees and as far as i know there was never send a C&D regarding it - so it doesn't matter if it is high profile or not.

Offline rheffera

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »
i think the same of ghost in the shell. The movie was taken and made into a platinum version by the licnsee; so obviously they thought it was high profile.

So i dont think they should be granted; at least not easily like they seem to be
where does GitS come from now?
the reason to withhold high profile releases of ex-adv licenses is because we don't know if Aesir still holds the license and whether they continue the C&D policy of ADV.
GitS is nowhere near those known-to-send-c&d licensees and as far as i know there was never send a C&D regarding it - so it doesn't matter if it is high profile or not.

*shrugs* i thought GitS was pretty popular; Considering it was released; then re-released with like no modifications; which indicates to me a licensee would want to defend it; considering money spent to make two copies. My bad

The reality is neither of our opinions matter. A licensee can send a c&d over any anime they wish and there isnt anything we can do except take it down

Anyway; what are known-c&d licenses?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:37:12 pm by rheffera »

Offline Goroshi-sama

• nope.avi
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:16 pm »
too bad we dont get to see blubart's fancy Birdy description..

they see me rollin', they hatin'..

Offline kurandoinu

• I am not a robot, I am a unicorn
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 03:26:37 pm »
I'm sure he can still show it to us :P

Offline Lupin

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode 2 are untouched. For now...

I guess it's not: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-22/funimation-adds-sekirei-tetsuwan-birdy-decode-and-decode-02

I already requested for the torrent to be deleted.

Offline newy

• Staff
  • Yack...Deculture!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:52 pm »
Didn't wait long, huh. Good thing that I leeched it yesterday...
I knew nothing of the outside world. I was just a frog in a well.

Offline agentspliff

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 06:02:36 am »
I had wondered why my Sekirei torrent was showing an error.  Glad I've just been seeding it for a while.

LOL yes, if I was FUNI I'd grab up all the license I could, even if i had no intention of releasing them to keep the competition down as much as possible.

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 06:37:22 am »
LOL yes, if I was FUNI I'd grab up all the license I could, even if i had no intention of releasing them to keep the competition down as much as possible.
Their competition hasn't been doing very well, if you don't read the news; I don't think they need any help.
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline MTR

• Former Staff
    • http://www.animeplanetnet.net
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »
Just a little FYI on the Ghost in the Shell off-topic-ness.

As far as I know, GitS has never received a cease and desist order (I don't know of any Bandai titles which have...), but for the release of Solid State Society, they did request that people not fansub it or download fansubs because they planned on releasing it.

I would definitely consider Ghost in the Shell to be a high profile title, but until Bandai sends us a complaint (or any company for that matter), it will stay up just like every other title on the site.

Offline Xtras

• ~
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 07:03:22 am »
Lol, I HIGHLY doubt Bandai would send a C & D order. They don't believe in such things, and they are struggling enough without hiring people to do stuff like that.

Offline isukianime

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:25 pm »
can someone pls send me a PM where I can find the blu-ray versions of all the full metal panic seasons.  :-X

;D

Offline Lupin

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
Anime-Supreme ripped the blurays. You can get the rips from their channel.

Offline isukianime

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:31 pm »
Anime-Supreme ripped the blurays. You can get the rips from their channel.

cool thx.

Offline rheffera

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 06:13:19 am »
Lol, I HIGHLY doubt Bandai would send a C & D order. They don't believe in such things

A company that DOESN'T send c &d's ? Holy shit  :o Slap me; Im dreaming!

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 09:13:49 am »
Lol, I HIGHLY doubt Bandai would send a C & D order. They don't believe in such things

A company that DOESN'T send c &d's ? Holy shit  :o Slap me; Im dreaming!
Most companies don't.  It's just that the ones that have survived, and thrived, (one in particular) do.
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline Xtras

• ~
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 07:57:39 am »
@Xiong Chiamiov
Lol, yeah. At one point Bandai was a strong proud company that I myself liked. But the Bandai of today is not so. Just look at their special edition box sets, or their track record of delays. While most people will argue with me, I am happy with Funimation and I like the company. Yes it sends C & D's all over the place, but they do a good job in distributing shows, and they along with the old Bandai, are what created today's United States interest in (and some hate of) anime.

Offline MTR

• Former Staff
    • http://www.animeplanetnet.net
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »
I agree with Xtras. Yes, Funimation does make use of their given right to send out cease and desist orders against people pirating their licensed titles, but they do a good job with most of their releases. Yes, I'd like to see more extras included in their boxsets, but considering they pretty much hold a monopoly over the R1 anime industry right now and are the only company who is a) stated they absoutely will not release sub-only DVDs and b) is offering TONS of entire series free through their website, I really don't have anything against Funi.

Offline Excale

• Fansub Group
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:26 am »
I agree with Xtras. Yes, Funimation does make use of their given right to send out cease and desist orders against people pirating their licensed titles, but they do a good job with most of their releases. Yes, I'd like to see more extras included in their boxsets, but considering they pretty much hold a monopoly over the R1 anime industry right now and are the only company who is a) stated they absoutely will not release sub-only DVDs and b) is offering TONS of entire series free through their website, I really don't have anything against Funi.
Only problem, the free anime series they show online are the dubbed version, some of us here don't like dubs ya know?
One image in sig only.

Offline Zalis116

• Box Fansubs
    • ReDone-Subs Founder & Sole Member
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 03:07:18 am »
Only problem, the free anime series they show online are the dubbed version, some of us here don't like dubs ya know?
Sometimes, but a look at ANN's video portal alone shows 18 Funimation series available subbed, either partially or completely.

What I find puzzling about the Funimation hatred is that their subtitling practices don't line up with what people don't like about R1 subs. Among other things, people don't like (1) Yellow subs (2) Western name order, and (3) Lack of honorifics. In general, Funimation's subs are white, use Japanese name order, and include honorifics.

Got any old fansubs on HDD/DVD/CD? Please take a look at this thread.

Offline Arveene

• Former Staff
  • Sora <3
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:23 am »
Sometimes, but a look at ANN's video portal alone shows 18 Funimation series available subbed, either partially or completely.

What I find puzzling about the Funimation hatred is that their subtitling practices don't line up with what people don't like about R1 subs. Among other things, people don't like (1) Yellow subs (2) Western name order, and (3) Lack of honorifics. In general, Funimation's subs are white, use Japanese name order, and include honorifics.

I believe Funimation hatred is solely from the fact they send out C&D letters. I personally have nothing against them and if they release a title I like, I'll usually pick it up right away. They do some pretty good work with their releases imo.
AniDB Userpage | MAL (Not updated as often)