Hmm, of course the most recent spate of acquisitions had to come when I was out of town for the weekend. Luckily, I managed to snag Ayako's Regios and Frostii's Rideback 480p without too much trouble. Still need Retrofit's R+V to replace the XviD/DTV-rips, though.
Anyway, I came across this:
On that note, the panellist revealed there will be a number of new license rescues to announce over the convention season including more from Geneon at the upcoming Anime Expo.
In order of probability by category, my predictions for possible Funimation licenses from Geneon's titles are:
1) Ecchi titles: Tenjou Tenge, DearS, Girls Bravo, Hand Maid May, I My Me Strawberry Eggs, Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite, Melody of Oblivion (longshot)
* They already got Ikki-Tousen, and other ecchi shows like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue and Popotan have been re-licensed by Sentai.
2) Titles that had some mainstream exposure: Tenchi Muyo
, Armitage III
, ROD TV, Disgaea (for game connection), Cardcaptor Sakura (longshot)
* They already have Trigun, plus FLCL from Synch point.
3) Gonzo titles: Hellsing TV
, Gatekeepers, Gatekeepers 21
* Every Gonzo show once released by Geneon is now with Funimation, except for those three.
4) Respected/high-class shows: Serial Experiments Lain
, Haibane Renmei
, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze
* If they think there's enough fan demand for them and the costs are low enough.
So if anyone's in a "get it before it's gone" mood, take those titles as suggestions. Again, I don't have a crystal ball or anything. I just like to think I understand R1 companies' behavior.
"Safe" titles that probably won't get re-licensed by Funimation or anyone else:
Old/obscure 90s stuff (although Nozomi picked up El Hazard: Wanderers, so you never know...)
Loli/slice-of-life shows (Strawberry Marshmallow, Doki Doki School Hours, etc.)
Titles that seriously bombed in the R1 sales numbers (Fighting Spirit, Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, Cybuster, Demon Lord Dante, Master Keaton, Koi Kaze, plenty of others)