Author Topic: BakaBT IPv6 Tracker  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Harryy

BakaBT IPv6 Tracker
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »
This is a simple request to have BakaBT use IPv6 AAAA records on the tracker

1) IPv6 does not require port-forwarding, as it no longer uses NAT.
2) It is not extremely popular right now, but a lot of people do use it.
3) It couldn't hurt to give it a try?....

Thanks.

Offline psyren

• Ангелы и демоны кружили надо мной...
Re: BakaBT IPv6 Tracker
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:52:11 am »
1) Our hardware/provider may not support it.
2) Our users' hardware/ISPs may not support it.
3) Port forwarding has nothing to do with us, it's between peers.

Hold Nothing: If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your ancestor, kill your ancestor. Free of everything, bound by nothing, live your life as it is.
Click here if you can't play h264 encodes

Offline Harryy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:48:06 am »
1) Our hardware/provider may not support it.
2) Our users' hardware/ISPs may not support it.
3) Port forwarding has nothing to do with us, it's between peers.
1) There are no requirements for IPv6, as long as you have basic Linux shell access you can set it up.
2) Doesn't matter. An AAAA record is only read if the user has IPv6 installed already.
3) I know, I meant it is easier for the peers to get connected to each other, as there is no NAT.

Thanks for a reply.

Offline psyren

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:15:58 am »
I have no idea how difficult something like this would be to set up, but as far as I can see, there aren't a great deal of benefits to come by it right now.

Hold Nothing: If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your ancestor, kill your ancestor. Free of everything, bound by nothing, live your life as it is.

Offline Harryy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:30:00 am »
I have no idea how difficult something like this would be to set up, but as far as I can see, there aren't a great deal of benefits to come by it right now.
It's not that difficult at all.  A simple bash script can do it in less than 5 minutes to setup.  The benefits are:
1) Extra privacy.
2) Less legal problems - most tunnel-brokers have a less strict policy when it comes to P2P, than normal ISPs do (and if the tunnel-broker gets a C&D notice, the worst they can do is just shut down your tunnel, unlike an IPv4 ISP)
3) It shows you "care about the future of the Internet". (stupid reason in a lot of people's opinions, but it's a decent reason for me)

Offline Jarudin

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:27 am »
You are forgetting that we'll have to recode important parts of the tracker, IPv6 addresses take a considerable amount more space than IPv4 adresses.
And what about clients that don't support IPv6?

I honestly can not oversee the changes required and their impact.

--Jarudin--

Offline psyren

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:19:41 am »
AFAIK, only uTorrent supports IPv6.

Offline Jarudin

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:09 am »
AFAIK, only uTorrent supports IPv6.
There are a few others.

--Jarudin--

Offline Harryy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:41:15 pm »
You are forgetting that we'll have to recode important parts of the tracker, IPv6 addresses take a considerable amount more space than IPv4 adresses.

--Jarudin--
Guess I overlooked that. Most programs I have used have supported IPv6 for a while, don't know if your tracker does.

Clients that don't support IPv6 will still get connected. That's what AAAA records are for.
(IPv6-Client-Y connects to tracker => Hoi, I am 2001:470:66::ffff; any other clients on this torrent?
Tracker replies ALL addresses that are on that particular torrent (IPv4 AND IPv6).
IPv4-Client-Z sees IPv6-Client-Y, but sadly doesn't know how to connect. No worries! - IPv6-Client-Y connects to IPv4-Client-Z over IPv4, due to the torrent program understanding that it can handle both address-spaces at once).

http://rm.pp.ru/info/en:ipv6
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:22:27 pm by Harryy »

Offline Harryy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 05:04:11 am »
Hoi, has there been any progress on this idea in the parts of updating software to support it? I understand it's not a huge issue, but it'd be really good to have. I know some private trackers that have added IPv6 support to their tracker, and it has worked out fine for them. You can get free IPv6 with your Leaseweb server (or a HE.net tunnel if you don't want to use Leaseweb's native v6), so the only limitation I can see if software side. So, what's up? :) ..Thought it'd be better to gravedig this instead of making a new topic about the same thing.

Offline Astara

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:52:37 pm »

--Jarudin--
====
Well, I think all sites that support ipv6 ALSO support ipv4...so that's *usually* not an issue, unless some group tried to get together some bogus argument about the higher cost of supporting dual-language IP stack (in SW/ network BW, etc)... and complain that they don't wanna 'pay' (be affected) by the (negligible) impact on traffic...

As for fixing sw...that can be a dog, but if you store ip's in strings now, then things would likely be alot easier, %wise, since an addr-string is an addr-string, but if storing bytes, then 2 QWORDs  (2x(4 words)), vs. 1 DWORD (2, (16-bit-words) ), well...

But hey, with the privacy concern in another thread...good time to get rid of storing IP's anyway!....(though the tracking SW would still need it... wouldn't have to worry about storage!)...

Offline scineram

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:53 am »
Isn't it time yet? Recently I got a CGNAT. I bitched back my public address for now, but it can happen anytime to anyone, irreversibly. Good luck traversing double NAT reliably. It is time now.

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:29:06 pm »
Jarudin has already been over why it's not happening, you know.

Offline Astara

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 06:11:11 pm »
You are forgetting that we'll have to recode important parts of the tracker...
--Jarudin--
Maybe it's time to open-source the tracker and see if any volunteers are able to upgrade it.  At least people could look at it and see what the conversion would entail?

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »
I find that even more unlikely.  Are you familiar with how BakaBT came to be?

Offline Astara

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:57 pm »
I find that even more unlikely.  Are you familiar with how BakaBT came to be?
I don't think so... 

Are you in a mood for story telling?  ;-)

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:27:58 am »
In a nutshell, BakaBT's founders, the community, and the site itself went through a good bit of trouble in the transition from BoxTorrent to BakaBT.  There's only so much control I see them willing to share =) .  Jarudin is one of those founders, I'll note.

Furthermore, even wrangling a Git or other open-source coding setup is additional work, when the function simply isn't needed to date and is only supported by some trackers :P .

Offline Astara

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 01:48:02 am »
In a nutshell, BakaBT's founders, the community, and the site itself went through a good bit of trouble in the transition from BoxTorrent to BakaBT.  There's only so much control I see them willing to share =) .  Jarudin is one of those founders, I'll note.

Furthermore, even wrangling a Git or other open-source coding setup is additional work, when the function simply isn't needed to date and is only supported by some trackers :P .
Hmmm....trusting people us torrent types are.  But nothing more than a tar of the code would
be necessary.

I'm guessing here, as for some group trying to steal the code and create a competing site... given
all the members and content here, wouldn't that be a tad unlikely? 

EVEN if a source dump included all of the content as well, you'd have to convince " 129,232 registered users (52,923 power users)" to all come to the new site (ok... say only 1/3rd that amount to
'start' to compete)...  how likely is that -- UNLESS -- this site goes away for some reason.

IF that's the case, wouldn't it be in most people's best longterm interests to WANT that information to be pre-duplicatated out among the user community?  I mean wouldn't it be likely that most, if not 100% of the current baka types would *want* to, and be invited to participate in the same or similar roles on the new site (w/any singular causes of failure being excluded?).  Isn't the largest threat likely to be from outside the Bakabt community? 

I can't see someone (including myself) wanting to run such a complex operation by one's self, so there'd have to be a largish group of the current admins who would want to change sites, but if it was a large enough group to support a new competing site, and a large enough group of power-seeders wanting to support a new site, don't you think key issues could be worked out on this site? 

I remember sometime after I came here, some high-profile admin who seemed to be into publicly shaming mistakes of users in some BakaBt blog -- and how that seemed to result in some follow-on DDos.  I remember thinking how useful it would be to have a backup plan in such cases or a backup site able to tide things over, but how, besides requiring a well connected site, would also take a large amount of SW+content duplication from here...Uh...

That's the main thing -- you could have all the SW to run the site, but duplicating all the users and the content would be hard -- even if the content was available, what if you opened a new site...and nobody came?  It would have to provide some considerable draw to win over some "critical mass" to even begin to compete -- which I'd think would be unlikely... or am I overestimating how easy it would be to get 120+K seeders? 

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 02:11:49 am »
There's already been more than one "mirror" of both the tracker and forum.  Yes, really.

You are assuming "open source" is always good and/or necessary.  That is not the case; as I mentioned above, herding open-source cats can be more of a drain than it's worth.   Remember, also, this site is not even remotely close to a democracy, nor was it ever presented as such.  It's a free service that they run as they see fit, that simple, for good or ill.

Furthermore, BakaBT just went through a large tracker update.  Now is probably not the best time to agitate for changing the tracker, as they're busy ironing bugs =) .

You probably won't see anything happen along these lines, until many more clients and trackers support IPv6.

Offline Astara

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 02:46:11 am »
There's already been more than one "mirror" of both the tracker and forum.  Yes, really.
When site is down, doesn't feel that way...

BTW -- to be clear, I currently do NOT have IPv6 access nor use a NaT'ed IP, so as things are now, I would not benefit and software being what it is, would likely experience more problems if it was done, only because it would be such a large change, so it's not for any specific feature that I'd suggest such.

You are assuming "open source" is always good and/or necessary.

Am not!  :P   
No, I'm only assuming the current developers are saying that they are so overloaded that it's not likely in the near future.  Is that not what jardin's comment indicated?

That is not the case; as I mentioned above, herding open-source cats can be more of a drain than it's worth.   Remember, also, this site is not even remotely close to a democracy, nor was it ever presented as such.  It's a free service that they run as they see fit, that simple, for good or ill.

Am more than a bit familiar with such projects and and your reference to herding cats.  While any opensource depot might be more "open" than the current source, having an open-source depot doesn't mean the main-source has to track-it.  It could be most useful for the current main to do occasional 'dumps' of sufficiently changed+working code to the open-source repo, but it isn't necessary that the current source take anything back unless they like a particular idea.  I.e. the open source repo could be a test-bed of ideas -- *most of which* are not included. 

However, if the test-bed produced __anything__ useful, that could be included, that's where I'm thinking it might be useful -- with the full understanding that code-submissions to the open-repo would be "gratis-ideas" and anything more than that would be up to the existing master code site (developers).

Certainly, it could also benefit when bakabt does periodic calls for new "slaves" (er, I mean "help"), that they could have a resource to see who seems to know something about coding (if they've contributed to the testbed) and perhaps have an inkling of how well they might fit in if at all.

Furthermore, BakaBT just went through a large tracker update.  Now is probably not the best time to agitate for changing the tracker, as they're busy ironing bugs =) .

You probably won't see anything happen along these lines, until many more clients and trackers support IPv6.

Which is exactly why I thought tossing the bundle over one-way wall as a means to provide a possiblity for extra-hands/eyes to look at the code and improve it, might be useful.  OTH, if the current code-"owners" feel it would be likely to cause more trouble than good, then there's little anyone can do to convince them otherwize until they come to want to do so on their own -- that's acknowledged.

Indeed, I often have had code I'd be unwilling to share at a given point in time -- at least until I'm finished with a current block of work, and even then sometimes not depending on the code.  But at other times I wouldn't mind throwing some pieces of code onto a hosting site if someone else found them useful and the code was sufficiently "non-ugly"... ;-)

So please don't take my suggesting a more open-site for code hosting meaning to be that's where active development takes place and may never take place depending on current code-owners' whims.

I just, occasionally try to see "in between" different points of view and think what might work for different parties.  I'm not trying to convince anyone of a specific solution -- just, "explicitly" presenting options rather than assuming all options have already been thoroughly thought through or vetted.