Author Topic: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers  (Read 75962 times)

Offline jsandoval

Re: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2014, 01:04:55 am »
     I watched a little of the Ruroni Kenshin anime and thought it was pretty good, but it was such a long series I couldn't really make the investment to check out all of it.  It's nice to hear the manga holds up. 

Not 100 percent sure what my first manga was, I got into it fairly late compared to anime after all.  Anime I started watching in the 1970's, heh heh...  Think it was Hunter x Hunter.  As time passes I find myself getting more and more into manga.  Censorship at least isn't a concern and there's just so much awesome stuff out there!  Probably my only grumble is incomplete stuff which takes forever, sometimes literally if it gets dropped. 

One Piece is probably a safe bet for someone looking to get started.  No it's not the greatest or anything, or at least I won't claim it is.  However like they say you need to learn to walk before you can run. 

Offline firestarter_

• sunshine
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2015, 02:08:17 am »
The first time I discovered what a "manga" section meant, with its WIIIIDE shelves of neat, colorful book spines, I was ecstatic. I picked up a paperback GN title with the name "RANMA 1/2." It read just like English GN's in L-to-R format, but it exceeded the expectations I had for being immersed into the world/characters created by Takahashi Rumiko-sensei. Granted I was about 7 years old at the time, and nowadays, I would say my tastes have certainly changed. I went on to acquire all 36 volumes over time, and it certainly is a humorous and rather humongous gathering of characters. Worth a look.

I kind of swayed off the boat of "I-read-a-lot-of-manga" over time and lost interest b'c of personal reasons/life. It was when I discovered Berserk, that I discovered a wonderful series, but became interested in seeking more visceral pieces of manga. Akira, MPD Psycho, Vinland Saga, and even some ero-guro overtime (Suehiro Mauro.) One Piece, Love Hina, and Evangelion were/are all dandy, but as a cynicism in me grew, I found more discretionary/graphic manga like the aforementioned seinen to satisfy my primal need for dark/complex/cerebral storylines.

"_______<insert hope for Miura to finish "Berserk" in a reasonable time span>

Offline Shiakou

« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2015, 03:35:21 am »
My first anime was Princess Sara. I first watched that when I was six and dogmatically followed every episode on TV even though it was on weekdays. Up to this day it's still one of my favorites.

I would not read my first manga until over a decade later. That was .hack Legend of the Twilight which I got into because I was interested in the games. I ended up liking the manga better than the games.

Offline HaaYaargh

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:38 pm »
Hey!

I recently finished Kimi No Iru Machi, and I really liked it. I can't compare this manga to anything else, as it was my first time reading something that was longer than 20 pages (by that I mean other mangas, not books). I like the fact that the manga is not set entirely in highschool, because I can't relate to this anymore, I liked the transision to college and early adulthood. Ofcourse, there were a lot of moments of "omg what are you doing dude", but I was prepared for that, as it is the same in almost every anime I have watched.

I liked it mostly because:
 - It was quite long, it helped with immersion
 - Characters inside actually grew up (from highschool, through college, into adulthood)
 - Nice balance between laugh, cringe and baww
 - Lot of different characters
 - Not forced ecchi

I'm looking for something simillar, and by that I mean some school/college romance, slice of life with an addition of comedy + non-fantasy.

Any reccomendation?

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:07 pm »
Naruto
Claymore
Tsubasa Chronicles
xxxHolic
Nana

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:22 am »
My first manga was Love Hina. Then GTO, which everyone should read.
After that was Tsubasa, Chonits and a whole host of stuff. The school librarian was a weeb :D

Offline dbml

« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:34 am »
My first manga was Gantz. That was very quickly followed by Berserk. I discovered that my love for the dark and gritty was real.

Offline Deth93

• [Avatar: Sakura Saber]
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2015, 03:41:15 pm »
My first manga.. probably was Kimi no Iru Machi. I started watching anime around the time when KNIM anime was airing, and I really liked the story told in anime, so I had to check manga as well. Didn't expect it to be that good. TwT

As for recommendations, Kimi no Iru Machi was really a good romance manga. Touching story and everything.
Want a good action one, with interesting plot and gore? Go for Claymore. Long series are the best for such.
Want a good comedy and fights between delinquents? Check Beelzebub. That manga seriously has good overpowered characters. :D
Want a bit of simple romance and adultery? Check Natsu no Zenjitsu. Amazing art and plot, as well as ecchi scenes, really made this manga a masterpiece.
Want more adultery? Go for Nozoki Ana. Borderline hentai, but really good read.

And for the best manga of all time, xxxHolic. No need to say anything about that one, just go and read it.