Author Topic: PlayStation 4 + 4.5 [40+ Million Units Sold]  (Read 84413 times)

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
PlayStation 4 + 4.5 [40+ Million Units Sold]
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:10:27 pm »
Sony had to explain why the increase in cost production for research and development (R & D) to its investors.

Looking good Sony, looking good. Just make sure the price is not higher than ... maybe 300 dollars, or 400 dollars. Something pretty damn powerful with lots of RAM and a disc space the size of 250 GB. Looking forward to this.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:11:53 pm by Tatsujin »

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline Meomix

• For our glorious order
    • MAL
PainStation 4
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:43:36 pm »
Call me when they give out free consoles as compensation for their magniloquent failure last week.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
Re: PainStation 4
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »
Call me when they give out free consoles as compensation for their magniloquent failure last week.
For that? You wanna break the company down? o_O;; ...

Online Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:57:21 pm »
Breaking the company down? Sounds like a plan.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »
Breaking the company down? Sounds like a plan.
Lots of hate. Well, haters gonna hate. Nothing you can do about that.

On topic, PS4.

Offline Goroshi-sama

• nope.avi
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
Wait

PS1 = 1995
PS2 = 2000
(PSP = 2005)
PS3 = 2006/2007
PS4 = 201x (?)

Has it been so long already?! And I was already sure that PS3 arrived 2 years ago.. Has it been out so long?!
Then its pretty good reason to start thinking a new PS4..

they see me rollin', they hatin'..

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »
Can you play PSX and PS2 games on your PS3? I wonder if PS3 games will even be compatible the PS4, I might just wait with purchasing a PS3 then.

Offline TMRNetShark

• I thumps up my own youtube comments.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:27:26 pm »
In all reality, consoles might just become computers instead of specialty gaming consoles. They kinda already are computers, but I'm either hoping for a new controller OR Shadow of the Colossus 2 launch title.

Either/OR. No neither.

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 05:58:59 pm »
Alright, do I do it or not?
Reserve a unit from first batch which cost 3 times the actual price like I did on PS3 launch?
HELL YEAH~!
Beat the Japanese themselves to the launch date. No lining up for me.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
Reserve a unit from first batch which cost 3 times the actual price like I did on PS3 launch?
HELL YEAH~!

Yeah, the PS4 will be like $600.

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 08:52:55 pm »
In all reality, consoles might just become computers instead of specialty gaming consoles. They kinda already are computers, but I'm either hoping for a new controller OR Shadow of the Colossus 2 launch title.

Either/OR. No neither.

I was thinking that myself, the difference gets smaller and smaller, consoles get more expensive and are essentially a prebuilt computer with a proprietary OS that is aimed primarily at gaming.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »

Either/OR. No neither.

I was thinking that myself, the difference gets smaller and smaller, consoles get more expensive and are essentially a prebuilt computer with a proprietary OS that is aimed primarily at gaming.

True. You can even build an above average computer for $600-$700. The only problem is that it gets outdated in 2 years versus developers still making software for a console for another 3+ years. Hell, there were still games being made for the PS2 up until September of last year. 10 years life span is good for both a console AND a computer.

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:39:41 am »

Either/OR. No neither.

True. You can even build an above average computer for $600-$700. The only problem is that it gets outdated in 2 years versus developers still making software for a console for another 3+ years. Hell, there were still games being made for the PS2 up until September of last year. 10 years life span is good for both a console AND a computer.

The thing is, an outdated computer can play games that look just as good as those on that console does if you buy them one year after the console release. Considering how much that is cross platform now a days many games get no benefit from having a good computer since a 5 year old one would work decently.

Biggest advantage for PC these past few years (outside of the controller) has been the amount of games. Being able to play all PC/dos titles and any console game from the ps2 generation or older. No console has close to the same library of old games. They aren't even fully backwards compatible within their own company and don't have all that many emulators.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 03:31:17 am »

Either/OR. No neither.

The thing is, an outdated computer can play games that look just as good as those on that console does if you buy them one year after the console release. Considering how much that is cross platform now a days many games get no benefit from having a good computer since a 5 year old one would work decently.

Biggest advantage for PC these past few years (outside of the controller) has been the amount of games. Being able to play all PC/dos titles and any console game from the ps2 generation or older. No console has close to the same library of old games. They aren't even fully backwards compatible within their own company and don't have all that many emulators.

Uhh, maybe backwards compatible from 1997 onwards. The problems start when you try to use a 32 bit program with 16 bit lines of code on a 64 bit system. I do believe it's completely uncalled for to not have backwards compatibility on a console AT LEAST one generation back. Like if the PS4 didn't backwards support PS3 games, I would totally be pissed. When you buy a new computer, all your old games are still right there (probably even with save files still intact). And yes, a PC's "controller" is better and more precise... but coding for consoles is easier since it's all just one set of hardware to code for. Probably one of the biggest hurdles for Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic game (which I'm totally stoked for) is coding for the wide range of hardware. The game will probably look very similar to WoW's expansion packs but has to run on a simple dual core processor and at least 2 year old entry level cards. At the same time, they have to do all the textures for brand new video cards (and future cards) to make sure the game will appeal to the vanity nerds. Each side has their pros and cons... but only PC consistently has it's pros.

Offline AceHigh

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:30:07 am »
And yes, a PC's "controller" is better and more precise... but coding for consoles is easier since it's all just one set of hardware to code for.

Check out this video where John Carmack (the leading programmer behind quake and doom games) explains what is easy and what is hard when it comes to making a game on 360 and PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989MBOiIghA He says interesting things at around 4min in the interview. There have also been other reports that porting between 360 and PC platforms is a simpler task than PS3 and PC.

My main point is, what is Sony going to do about it? Are they going to make the PS3 system easier to make games for, or will they just do "their own thing"? Another question is what is Microsoft going to do? because if they are smart, they might make it insanely easy to port the games between Windows OS and their new generation console in the future.

You are right about developers trying to save money, so only time will tell, but I am sure that if Sony doesn't make PS4 more developing friendly and Microsoft on other hand does, we will see a lot more of "PC/Xbox-only" games in the future. Only time will tell...

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 04:48:12 am »
And yes, a PC's "controller" is better and more precise... but coding for consoles is easier since it's all just one set of hardware to code for.

Check out this video where John Carmack (the leading programmer behind quake and doom games) explains what is easy and what is hard when it comes to making a game on 360 and PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989MBOiIghA He says interesting things at around 4min in the interview. There have also been other reports that porting between 360 and PC platforms is a simpler task than PS3 and PC.

My main point is, what is Sony going to do about it? Are they going to make the PS3 system easier to make games for, or will they just do "their own thing"? Another question is what is Microsoft going to do? because if they are smart, they might make it insanely easy to port the games between Windows OS and their new generation console in the future.

You are right about developers trying to save money, so only time will tell, but I am sure that if Sony doesn't make PS4 more developing friendly and Microsoft on other hand does, we will see a lot more of "PC/Xbox-only" games in the future. Only time will tell...

Well of course it's easier to develop for the 360. I believe a developer can write, debug, and design the entire game on a PC workstation and only take 2-3 months to get it working bug free-ish on a 360. The PS3 on the other hand has to constantly have the developer use Sony's PS3 workstation/debugger models as they develop the game. The smaller amount of RAM is also an issue along with the problem of developing for CELL (which I would imagine is a pain). The flip side is that there are literally a double digit amount of CPUs and Videocards that PC developers have to debug. Even though there are really only 2 companies that make each of those computer components, there is a lot of variations of power and architectures. Even on the 360, there are 5 different versions of the motherboard/CPU/GPU combo. Mind you, these seem to only be the same architecture only smaller chip die... but I've seen later model 360's run better than the original (if there are any of those around left).

Offline fohfoh

• Mod AznV~ We don't call it "Live Action"
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 05:10:09 am »
The way I see consoles vs computers overall is sort of the idea of a LT release of a Linux OS. Sort of the idea of like, "This is the PS3/360" This will be the platform you will be using in the next 5 years or so. Unlike PC gaming which developer get blindsided by the next update all the time, either OS updates, standards like directX etc. They also don't have to wonder "what will people be using next?" They know the hardware specs and can cater all the programming w/e to that console. Sounds almost like an Apple product by principle.

I guess it must be harder to port PS3 because of the hardware difference, maybe why 360 and PC are much easier to port to.
This is your home now. So take advantage of everything here, except me.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 01:07:48 pm »
HELL YEAH~!

Yeah, the PS4 will be like $600.
I won't be able to dish out 600 dollars again to be honest. Sony learned their lesson. Providing that we're pretty good in the technology era (I worded it wrong but you know what I mean), they should have a CELL processor with 4 cores, each having their own special 6-8 threads similar to the single CELL processor on the PS3. More fucking RAM please, about 1 GB or 2 GB is good enough for a console system and a good video card, maybe a GTX 400 or 500 series. The 500 series is a good piece of work. I guess that could be a lot of money, but if they really fork out another powerful system with a nice storage medium then you could be looking at 300-400 dollars. If they wanna fuck up again and make it a 500+ dollar system then fuck that. That would definitely end my console career system and I'll stick to PCs and wait for D3.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 10:38:38 pm »
sony said they werent gonna spend the same kind of development money on ps4. They are gonna do it more like xbox, not use a super computer chip that forces developers to deal with the bullshit that comes with it, and drives initial development costs through the roof.

Lower developmental costs = lower price at start

Offline tomoya-kun

• Reporting for duty.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:24 pm »
Give me my linux back and I'll buy two of them.

BBT Team Riko Suminoe #000002