Author Topic: PlayStation 4 + 4.5 [40+ Million Units Sold]  (Read 84413 times)

Offline kamuixtv99

Re: PlayStation 4 + 4.5 [40+ Million Units Sold]
« Reply #1180 on: October 24, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »
If games on PSVR are good. I'll buy one. If some PSVR games requires PS4 Pro. Then I'll think about it.  :mml:

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #1181 on: October 25, 2016, 06:02:48 pm »
Inside of PS4 Pro. Interesting. So if PS4 can do half float computation then it can get 8.4 TFLOPS out of it? But half-float computation? How would you even be able to get something out of that?

You can get speed out of it while everything else will suffer. You cant do graphic intense operations at 16bit the precision is just not there. Also if you do split it at 16bit where does that leave the original ps4 doesn't that kinda break backwards compatibility or are game devs going to start saying well if this is a ps4 pro there can be a flash of light at this point but original ps4 gets none.  Sounds like a pointless stat given to try to take away from the xbox scorpion supposedly having more power.

The person who said it was Mike Carray (or that guy who designed the PS4 chip). He rarely spews pointless.

I read on it a bit more. It's AMDs Polaris feature, which has more support for those type of calculations. Since PS4 Pro has two chips (basically a crossfire) it can perform two 16-bit operations at the same time thereby giving at the end a single 32 bit result in half the time. Or something along that line.

Though if PS4 has that feature, so will the xbox scorpio since both have their made by amd. If sony and xbox do make use of some clever stuff to get that output indeed, that would be awesome.

If games on PSVR are good. I'll buy one. If some PSVR games requires PS4 Pro. Then I'll think about it.  :mml:

I tried the PSVR at a demo at my place. The experience is nice, but left wanting. They only had that underwater demo with the shark attacking you. Even though I watched that demo on youtube a million times, it was still quite real when I put it on.

The image was a bit blurry. I wasn't able to make out the pixels (probably since there was constant movement), but it was still a bit blurry. Also the fact that you can't actually feel the vibrations and all is a bit weird.

A long time ago, I had been into a virtual roller coaster. The experience on that was way better because of all the moment. Since I had already experienced that I was a just bit disappointed. I doubt you can get that level even on HTC Vive, but I don't know since I haven't tried it. As for games no idea. I wanted to try Eve Valkyrie, but they didn't have the demo for that. :(

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline halfelite

« Reply #1182 on: October 26, 2016, 02:31:22 am »

The person who said it was Mike Carray (or that guy who designed the PS4 chip). He rarely spews pointless.

I read on it a bit more. It's AMDs Polaris feature, which has more support for those type of calculations. Since PS4 Pro has two chips (basically a crossfire) it can perform two 16-bit operations at the same time thereby giving at the end a single 32 bit result in half the time. Or something along that line.

Though if PS4 has that feature, so will the xbox scorpio since both have their made by amd. If sony and xbox do make use of some clever stuff to get that output indeed, that would be awesome.

Im not saying its pointless but Nvidia did half precision computing back in geforceFX series back in 2003. DirectX has done it since v7 or 9. The reason people dont use it for games is the precision drops dramatically now if you can get by without the end user noticing any errors in the render then you are fine. But its a pointless stat to throw out.  Build large world with 32bit and it might be a little slow but look right. Or build a large world in 16bit and it will be speedy but you will notice all sorts of strange glitches. It has its place when you dont need the precision like if you where making a blue sky that is always blue you could 16bit float it and no one will ever notice a difference and use the power you saved on something else. Its only as useful when a dev is sitting there really trying to squeeze the best performance out of the machine. But in the age of ports going all over the place Maybe an exclusive title would make use of it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:34:58 am by halfelite »

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #1183 on: November 13, 2016, 05:34:59 pm »
Urgh ... PS4 Pro doesn't play 4K movies. What a turn off.

I can't comment on the Scorpio, because you know, Microsoft (like Sony) might chop down some of the announced features from E3. But man, if they can pull it off with 6 TFLOPS, put 4K player and 4K HDR gaming for just 400 USD (don't even think it's going to be near that price) then yeah this is the true 4K system. Realistically speaking ... it's not possible without increasing the price to offset those features ...

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Online Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #1184 on: November 14, 2016, 04:17:28 am »
It does play 4K movies. You just have to download it. It just doesnt have a 4K blu ray player but playing a 4K movie is something it can handle fine.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:52:02 am by megido-rev.M »
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!