Author Topic: PlayStation 4 + 4.5 [40+ Million Units Sold]  (Read 84238 times)

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09:32 am »
Another thing to consider about computer vs console is backwards capatibility. For the most part, my old games run on Windows 7. There are some kinks (NWN's frame rate isn't as high as you might expect (still plenty fast)), but over all they work. KotoR doesn't run in W7 x64, and Mass Effect 2, a newever game, crashes periodicly, but these are rare cases.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »
PS4 should be released in 2014 or 2015 as it seems like. You'll see it going around in 2013 in E3 and Sony will show it off and of course brag about it just like what they did with the PS3 then cut down on the hardware.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline TMRNetShark

• I thumps up my own youtube comments.
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »
PS4 should be released in 2014 or 2015 as it seems like. You'll see it going around in 2013 in E3 and Sony will show it off and of course brag about it just like what they did with the PS3 then cut down on the hardware.

I think they will just say:

"The PS4 will be able to do this, this, and this... when it's released..." in 2013. Wait for the hardware to either become easier to make or be made in the first place. Then 2014 bring it out with the hardware specs. Release it Spring/Summer of 2015... why during that time frame? Look at the Xbox 360 when it was released in November. If the PS4 will be more "computer"-like, then Sony will try to mass produce units with higher fail rates to meet the demand at first (because it will be the winter holiday time). Instead, summer time will bring in all the very hardcore gamers and spoiled brats to pick up the launch system at the end of college/school and have the summer to play it. Once November/December rolls around, Sony will have enough headway and unit numbers to make bundles that people will buy by then. It sets Sony up with a less impressive launch, but in the end will save them the headache that MS went through with a 33% fail rate and not enough units to sell.

Personally speaking, I had pre-ordered my Xbox 360 in April of that year. I was 13th in line and the store was gonna be getting 12 of them on launch day. So the next shipment I would of been getting mine. I had to wait an entire month before I called corp of the game store and complained. The rep said that the store had gotten 30 Xbox 360's since the release. I was like "WHAT? Your kidding me!" The manager at the store called me up the next day saying my 360 was finally here (go figure) and had the audacity to YELL AT ME for calling his boss. I was in line fair and square and yells at me for wanting what I A. Paid for fully in advance... and B. Being fucking patient when he was selling the systems to people other than who pre-ordered it (probably making cash on the side). So I really don't want that to happen again because people at game stores aren't always the most honest people in the world.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »

I think they will just say:

"The PS4 will be able to do this, this, and this... when it's released..." in 2013. Wait for the hardware to either become easier to make or be made in the first place. Then 2014 bring it out with the hardware specs. Release it Spring/Summer of 2015... why during that time frame? Look at the Xbox 360 when it was released in November. If the PS4 will be more "computer"-like, then Sony will try to mass produce units with higher fail rates to meet the demand at first (because it will be the winter holiday time). Instead, summer time will bring in all the very hardcore gamers and spoiled brats to pick up the launch system at the end of college/school and have the summer to play it. Once November/December rolls around, Sony will have enough headway and unit numbers to make bundles that people will buy by then. It sets Sony up with a less impressive launch, but in the end will save them the headache that MS went through with a 33% fail rate and not enough units to sell.

Personally speaking, I had pre-ordered my Xbox 360 in April of that year. I was 13th in line and the store was gonna be getting 12 of them on launch day. So the next shipment I would of been getting mine. I had to wait an entire month before I called corp of the game store and complained. The rep said that the store had gotten 30 Xbox 360's since the release. I was like "WHAT? Your kidding me!" The manager at the store called me up the next day saying my 360 was finally here (go figure) and had the audacity to YELL AT ME for calling his boss. I was in line fair and square and yells at me for wanting what I A. Paid for fully in advance... and B. Being fucking patient when he was selling the systems to people other than who pre-ordered it (probably making cash on the side). So I really don't want that to happen again because people at game stores aren't always the most honest people in the world.
the reason most systems release for holiday sales is so they can get a nice boost in revenue before the end of year its good for stocks, especially if they have a dismal list of games for release like they did with ps3. Releasing in the summer will immediately let them get slammed by reviews and lose possible sales at the holidays because of it.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 07:32:35 pm »
the reason most systems release for holiday sales is so they can get a nice boost in revenue before the end of year its good for stocks, especially if they have a dismal list of games for release like they did with ps3. Releasing in the summer will immediately let them get slammed by reviews and lose possible sales at the holidays because of it.

They wouldn't be able to pump out as many units though, which would only limit their sales. God forbid that they actually MAKE a good system with launch titles that people actually like. Nope, gotta release it during the holidays to appeal to people's "Gotta have it!" mentality. /sigh

If it does turn out that way again for the next generation, I'll still probably wait 6 months to get it or until a game I'm actually interested in is released. By that time, I'm gonna be waist deep in The Old Republic.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »
And i still haven't gotten my PS3

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:02 am »
If it does turn out that way again for the next generation, I'll still probably wait 6 months to get it or until a game I'm actually interested in is released. By that time, I'm gonna be waist deep in The Old Republic.

When a new console is released, upgrade your PC a bit. That way you can have as good experience with a larger game database. Then when the console finally starts having some games you have two consoles, one being the aforementioned PC.

Then when the console enters its second half and games are very well optimised for it, upgrade your PC a bit again. Still have two consoles that are as good for gaming.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 01:35:31 am »

When a new console is released, upgrade your PC a bit. That way you can have as good experience with a larger game database. Then when the console finally starts having some games you have two consoles, one being the aforementioned PC.

Then when the console enters its second half and games are very well optimised for it, upgrade your PC a bit again. Still have two consoles that are as good for gaming.

Lol, I only use a laptop for games that I cannot play on consoles (mainly RTS and MMO's). The next MMO I'm hunting for is Old Republic and my computer is good enough to last me awhile.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 04:02:37 am »

They wouldn't be able to pump out as many units though, which would only limit their sales. God forbid that they actually MAKE a good system with launch titles that people actually like. Nope, gotta release it during the holidays to appeal to people's "Gotta have it!" mentality. /sigh

The holiday theory is correct from a business standing point of view. So I agree.

And i still haven't gotten my PS3
Too bad for you.

--

If PS4 gets a thing from every genre, then it would get a nice spotlight. Regardless thou', as much as the graphics are improving ... some gameplay and engine mechanics are outdated / not unique this era. Most games don't make me want to purchase them. There are just the few out there that can drop my jaws and make it a very interesting game. For example, Diablo 3. I doubt a lot of you guys have looked up their site the past week and a half. They just released Runestones and it looks SUPER BAD ASS! Runestones are one of the major features that's not only going to change your character's class mechanics, but it will graphically enhance them! We still have gear, sets, charms, upgrades, talent spec trees and other things they haven't gone over with us.

Now if only PS4 can get some serious nice games like the PS3. If Microsoft makes a real system to be competitive in specs and space storage then we can look forward to a nice gaming era.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 04:30:35 am »
If PS4 gets a thing from every genre, then it would get a nice spotlight. Regardless thou', as much as the graphics are improving ... some gameplay and engine mechanics are outdated / not unique this era. Most games don't make me want to purchase them. There are just the few out there that can drop my jaws and make it a very interesting game. For example, Diablo 3. I doubt a lot of you guys have looked up their site the past week and a half. They just released Runestones and it looks SUPER BAD ASS! Runestones are one of the major features that's not only going to change your character's class mechanics, but it will graphically enhance them! We still have gear, sets, charms, upgrades, talent spec trees and other things they haven't gone over with us.

Now if only PS4 can get some serious nice games like the PS3. If Microsoft makes a real system to be competitive in specs and space storage then we can look forward to a nice gaming era.

Wait, how is Diablo a new mechanic in terms of gameplay? True, the rune system that have in that game is actually pretty cool and adds a nice "OOoooo! I can do things differently now!" The gameplay of it is still the same. It's an action/adventure with RPG elements with linear elements (based on D2 that is). Linear games are just that... one way tracks to victory. If you want a game that really breaks away from the standard genres... Minecraft is a great game. Even then, that's a sort of Empire building game like Sim City or Civilization except you can be more creative in what you make(with a survival horror aspect). Unless it's Crack Baby Basketball (published by EA Sports), then games will hardly ever break away from the genres.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 06:00:36 am »

Wait, how is Diablo a new mechanic in terms of gameplay? True, the rune system that have in that game is actually pretty cool and adds a nice "OOoooo! I can do things differently now!" The gameplay of it is still the same. It's an action/adventure with RPG elements with linear elements (based on D2 that is). Linear games are just that... one way tracks to victory. If you want a game that really breaks away from the standard genres... Minecraft is a great game. Even then, that's a sort of Empire building game like Sim City or Civilization except you can be more creative in what you make(with a survival horror aspect). Unless it's Crack Baby Basketball (published by EA Sports), then games will hardly ever break away from the genres.
hes not saying its a new mechanic. The videos i saw of the runes are some of the small things that blizzard for one does in its games to make them more appealing.

The runes affect each skill differently and the visibly change the effects for each skill. Its a small thing but its cool and adds to what should be a fairly simple sell for them.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:45 am »

hes not saying its a new mechanic. The videos i saw of the runes are some of the small things that blizzard for one does in its games to make them more appealing.

The runes affect each skill differently and the visibly change the effects for each skill. Its a small thing but its cool and adds to what should be a fairly simple sell for them.
I worded it wrong, sorry. But it's something fresh and really nice to customize every ability you have. I'm looking forward to it. I hope they introduce Charms to us next round. We've been off topic for a while if the next poster can get back on-topic.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 02:04:30 am »
so i hear playstation 4 wont have diablo 3 cuz it is teh suck

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 02:35:33 am »
Gay. They said they want to bring D3 to consoles. IMO, keep those blizzard games for PC's only.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:16 am »
Gay. They said they want to bring D3 to consoles. IMO, keep those blizzard games for PC's only.
its the only thing keeping pc gaming alive sadly

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 05:07:54 am »
its the only thing keeping pc gaming alive sadly

D3? Nooooo... It's a big part of it, but not the only thing keeping PC gaming alive. Personally speaking, I would hate to have RTS and MMO games on the consoles. Don't get me wrong, I'm a console whore... it's easy to use, cheaper than maintaining a good PC, and I don't have to worry about "system requirements" or tweaking a game to work well. At the same time, RTS games are MEANT to be played ONLY on PC (along with MMOs). In all honesty, MMOs (well, WoW at least) make a shit ton of money. I mean WoW makes 60 million dollars each month off of just subscriptions (with 4 million constant subscribers). D3 will make Blizz some money, no doubt... but doesn't really carry the burden of all of PC gaming. CoD on the other hand, just might carry the consoles on it's back by itself easily.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 05:23:13 am »
i was talking about blizzard you fuck head turk
not diablo 3

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 06:37:20 am »
not diablo 3

Oh I'm sorry, use "They" instead of it. Cause you know... people would mistake "it" for the game of D3...

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to you know... *gasp* make sense.  ::)

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 06:44:21 am »
not diablo 3

Oh I'm sorry, use "They" instead of it. Cause you know... people would mistake "it" for the game of D3...

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to you know... *gasp* make sense.  ::)
in the context of "
Gay. They said they want to bring D3 to consoles. IMO, keep those blizzard games for PC's only."
my statement makes perfect sense if your not a stupid fucking malodorous turk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:46:51 am by mgz »

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 06:58:49 am »
in the context of "
Gay. They said they want to bring D3 to consoles. IMO, keep those blizzard games for PC's only."
my statement makes perfect sense if your not a stupid fucking malodorous turk

You my good sir... FAIL at life.

Let's get past your failing, and accept the obvious. Blizzard will never do anything on the consoles. It's too restrictive of a controller for Blizz to ever do anything. Even Starcraft Ghost never happened because Blizz hates consoles. So once your done failing, you'll finally realize that Blizz is smart enough to make a game that runs on a lot of computers to keep up with sales. Hell, even your failing head can wrap around the fact that Blizz has been milking WoW since... well... EVER.

Either make a Starcraft MMO (which would be awesome btw), or prepare to fail at the hands of TOR!