Author Topic: PlayStation 4 + 4.5 [40+ Million Units Sold]  (Read 84237 times)

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:35 am »
Okay take your shit somewhere else please. Argue in PMs or go to a hotel and have a brotherly fist battle between each other.

On topic, this got me thinking since we're advancing pretty good in technology. I noticed we're still around 3.0Ghz and not passing 4.0Ghz stock wise. You can go higher, but the higher the frequency on those things the hotter they get. Right now, the number one thing that kills systems is heat. So if Sony does it well and since they invested tons of money in CELL production, they might as well make it a 4 or 6 core CELL CPU providing that it's not that expensive. Right now we're at Full 1080p generation as well and the best storage medium that's widely used and supported is Blu-ray.

PS1 = CDs
PS2 = DVDs
PS3 = BDs
PS4 = ??

PS3 brought us some very nice native 1080p games and it's BD feature allowed us to watch movies. Not only that, but you can update your system to be up-to-date with any patches to stay in the market with other BD players.

Maybe PS4 will bring 2160p? Or do you guys think 1080p will last a little longer? We're still in 2011, so probably by 2015 we'll have some new technology going around. I'm hoping for real-time 3D holograms :D LOL

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline TMRNetShark

• I thumps up my own youtube comments.
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 04:22:36 pm »
PS4 will probably still have BD drives. Just instead of 160 GB hard drives, we will have 1-2TB hard drives (since internet speeds are getting faster). Instead of getting our games from a store, it will be like a streaming game fly type of business. Personally, I don't want to rely on the internet to get my games (can then I'm at the mercy of my provider)... but the future points towards that technology.

Offline zat0x91

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »
It would be fucking nice if they could actually manage to get the majority of games to run natively at 1080p.

Offline fohfoh

• Mod AznV~ We don't call it "Live Action"
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:40 am »
PS1 = CDs
PS2 = DVDs
PS3 = BDs
PS4 = MSPDs/HDD/SSD

Fix'd

Unless of course, they want to adhere to the physical limitation of being unable to modify the info... then BDs will not change. However, DDL may continue to grow.
This is your home now. So take advantage of everything here, except me.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 03:32:45 am »
PS1 = CDs
PS2 = DVDs
PS3 = BDs
PS4 = MSPDs/HDD/SSD

Fix'd

Unless of course, they want to adhere to the physical limitation of being unable to modify the info... then BDs will not change. However, DDL may continue to grow.
They may actually make a physical medium to support new technology and spread it out. Because your not going to put in an HDD to play some sort of movie in your media player in the future, are you? It can be a disc, or maybe a small size USB connector that can probably support up to 500 GB or something. Internal HDD should probably be SSD as SSD's are coming down in price. So by 2014/2015 they should be cheaper than what they are now.

Games right now are taking up a lot of space and it requires larger amounts of space to make better games. In few more years with new certain R&D, games will require more space than before.

What I'm hoping for are TVs that can support 3D without the restriction of a person having to wear glasses. Maybe not a TV, but like a small tube (very small one) that can project a 3D image in your room and have the PS4 support that. I don't know how many people are really pouring money to get those LCD/LED 3D monitors or 3D TVs in general and have to get those glasses all to experience 3D, I just didn't like the fact that you had to wear glasses to watch things in 3D so I didn't invest money into that area.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 04:52:32 am »
PS1 = CDs
PS2 = DVDs
PS3 = BDs
PS4 = MSPDs/HDD/SSD

Fix'd

They may actually make a physical medium to support new technology and spread it out. Because your not going to put in an HDD to play some sort of movie in your media player in the future, are you? It can be a disc, or maybe a small size USB connector that can probably support up to 500 GB or something. Internal HDD should probably be SSD as SSD's are coming down in price. So by 2014/2015 they should be cheaper than what they are now.

Games right now are taking up a lot of space and it requires larger amounts of space to make better games. In few more years with new certain R&D, games will require more space than before.

What I'm hoping for are TVs that can support 3D without the restriction of a person having to wear glasses. Maybe not a TV, but like a small tube (very small one) that can project a 3D image in your room and have the PS4 support that. I don't know how many people are really pouring money to get those LCD/LED 3D monitors or 3D TVs in general and have to get those glasses all to experience 3D, I just didn't like the fact that you had to wear glasses to watch things in 3D so I didn't invest money into that area.

Why the hell would a company put Solid State Drives? That would be the single most pointless thing to put in a console that probably will never move. SSDs are only useful (in my opinion) in laptops. Access speeds are faster, yeah... but a regular HDD will work just fine.

You say space will become a problem? Well maybe a system like Steam will track all your game purchases so you do not have to have all your games on your HDD at one time. With internet speeds increasing year after year, downloading a game will probably only take 15-20 minutes. The only problem with going towards a Hard drive based console is that not everyone will hook up their consoles to the internet (or have internet to spare)... so that bones over a good percentage of potential buyers. Keep the physical mediums, but have the option to buy and download your games online would be great. The PS3 has already done this with one game so far (full retail game which was Mass Effect 2).

As for the 3D, count me out. Until we can get like a Star Wars "3D" projector that just projects objects into midair, I'll stick with my 2D screens.

Offline fohfoh

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:24 am »
Yes, I do. I think SSDs will be a primary drive. Likely, there will be an expansion ability of sorts like multi USB or whatever that you can plug your other stuff in. Or maybe the ability for multi HDDs to RAID. I dunno. Whatever the possibilities, somehow they need to look into the idea of reducing load times on the PS system.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:15 am »
PS1 = CDs
PS2 = DVDs
PS3 = BDs
PS4 = MSPDs/HDD/SSD

Fix'd

I doubt that, sony always bought something new with each PS, to a point that it is actually a trademark, it won't give you the same thing again, and by the time it's released probably blu-ray will become popular, the same trend was followed in the previous two PS series

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline fohfoh

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 06:31:20 am »
PS1 = CDs
PS2 = DVDs
PS3 = BDs
PS4 = MSPDs/HDD/SSD

Fix'd

I doubt that, sony always bought something new with each PS, to a point that it is actually a trademark, it won't give you the same thing again, and by the time it's released probably blu-ray will become popular, the same trend was followed in the previous two PS series

Multi-blu ray disc tray?

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 06:35:39 am »
Multi-blu ray disc tray?

Haha, I gotta agree though Blu-ray have somewhat reached the limit for optical drives, and also even during the DVD era, Blu-ray were undergoing research throughout the world, the fact that no new development is going on is kinda hard to speculate we may be getting for PS4.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 03:28:30 pm »
The same exact shit I heard and read before Blu-ray came out when DVDs were trying to make it through the market. And when Blu-ray came out, people sat there and thought "Yup, it won't make it!". Oh look! HD-DVD is here! Yes I'm gonna go with that. What did Microsoft say and proclaimed about Blu-ray? We all know what they said "Blu-ray won't make it. We all know it's a FAIL medium format and it won't make it." Guess who won the format war in 2008? Blu-ray. Guess who exalted with the help of Sony's platform? PS3.

The same shit happened when DVD was out back in early 2000's. CD's were the shit. There's no way DVDs can over take CDs! That was the big buzz. But what happened to DVDs?

So I have NO clue if PS4 is going to have a storage medium format. But if they do, it's going to be the "new" format on the market that will surpass Blu-ray. Technology is not going to sit for decades and ages on a single format. At the moment, SSD is expensive. Four to five years from now, it's going to drop down in price dramatically. As the console gaming systems become better and better, they're going to need better equipment to support the technology in their consoles - If you want to argue about this you can look at the jump from PS to PS2 and from PS2 to PS3. Xbox 720 and PS4 are going to be much better systems than Xbox 360 and the PS3 so sticking to the mechanical HDDs might be a good idea. It may work. But can the speed on those things scale well with the new techs in future consoles? Sony loves to push the new technology they invent in their systems so arguing about not having an SSD in PS4 is weak. Xbox 360 was released in 2005, PS3 was in 2006. Their successors will come out between 2014 and 2015 so that's about a ten year difference in their specs.

Offline bloody000

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »
Tatsujin you seriously fail at reading comprehension and as usual you are half-assed at tech topics. Back then we knew new optical media was coming out. Whether people think it will succeed or not is irrelevant. Right now we only have BDXL for the immediate future and no new stuff in sight. That is the problem.
All you have to do is study it out. Just study it out.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »
Tatsujin you seriously fail at reading comprehension and as usual you are half-assed at tech topics. Back then we knew new optical media was coming out. Whether people think it will succeed or not is irrelevant. Right now we only have BDXL for the immediate future and no new stuff in sight. That is the problem.
The new systems won't be coming out now. I've pointed out clearly the years 2014 and 2015. So three to four years from now we'll probably get a new format just as I have stated in my previous post. Did you read these sentences? Did you see how I connected them constructively? Are we going to fucking argue about this?

You clearly pissed me off dude with your insults.

Offline bloody000

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 04:35:54 pm »
The new systems won't be coming out now. I've pointed out clearly the years 2014 and 2015. So three to four years from now we'll probably get a new format just as I have stated in my previous post. Did you read these sentences? Did you see how I connected them constructively? Are we going to fucking argue about this?

Yes because an entirely new format is just gonna pop out of nowhere in three years when BDXL adoption is still catching up. Get real. And go look up the date of DVD/Blu-ray unveiling.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:28 pm »
So in terms of what an SSD can do for a console, what advantage does it have over a regular HDD? For a Bluray drive in a PS3, it's about 2x speed drive at 72 Mbps. The best SSD that doesn't break the $500 limit (which would be around $100-$150 in 3 or 4 years) does around 250 Mbps. But as it's been said already, games are only to get bigger the next generation (going from the average 7-14GBs to well over 20 GBs). Let's say Sony decides to go with a 1 TB SDD and the average game is 25 GBs. That's 36-39 games you can fit on that hard drive. Not only does the SSD have an advantage in read/write speeds (almost eliminating load times), but it can withstand up to 1500 G's? The only problem is THE COST and the amount of space needed. Obviously I cannot see into the future, nor can I guess the prices.

What I do know is that a 1 TB SDD right NOW... is well over $4,000. Can a $4,000 piece of technology (one piece that should very well NOT be the most expensive part of the console) really lower down to the price that will make it viable in the PS4(anywhere from $150-$250) in the next 3 or 4 years?

So why don't we go a step or two down to 500 GBs SSD. That's still 16-19 games that can be put on that SSD. Once again, the current price tag of an SSD of that is well over $1000. Will the price go down that drastically in the next 3 or 4 years? I don't know.

My point is, there are a ton of advantages of using SSD in a console. Those advantages cost way too much money while still needing to have enough money left over to design the really important parts of future proofing a console for 5-10 years (such as CPU, GPU, memory). Will having an SSD be great? Yeah, no more load times. But I'm not paying over $1000 just for a console that has an SSD (which is what it will probably cost us, the consumer).

Offline bloody000

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 05:07:03 pm »
As you pointed out the cost/performance ratio is too low. by the time they're reasonably cheap for average folks, that kind of price will likely get you last-gen(or even last^2-gen) performance and HDDs would still be much cheaper. But a separate small SSD buffer for small random I/O is very possible.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

Yes because an entirely new format is just gonna pop out of nowhere in three years when BDXL adoption is still catching up. Get real. And go look up the date of DVD/Blu-ray unveiling.
Of course they're going to announce what's going to come with the system. You honestly believe they should have announced it by now? What are you assuming? Do you have this incredible vast amount of knowledge and your making a big fuzz about it against me? The new formats aren't just to pop out of no where. It took them a while until they've attached Blu-ray with the PS3 thus it delayed it further. I've read this and Sony did announce it before PS3 release. You seem to misunderstand a lot of the shit skipping through my sentences and what I'm talking about.

Also, for the record. I've done my research on the unveiling of DVDs and Blu-rays. Bottom line, get your fucking shit together and quit insulting people right off the bat because someone somehow seems to piss you off. Okay?

So in terms of what an SSD can do for a console, what advantage does it have over a regular HDD? For a Bluray drive in a PS3, it's about 2x speed drive at 72 Mbps. The best SSD that doesn't break the $500 limit (which would be around $100-$150 in 3 or 4 years) does around 250 Mbps. But as it's been said already, games are only to get bigger the next generation (going from the average 7-14GBs to well over 20 GBs). Let's say Sony decides to go with a 1 TB SDD and the average game is 25 GBs. That's 36-39 games you can fit on that hard drive. Not only does the SSD have an advantage in read/write speeds (almost eliminating load times), but it can withstand up to 1500 G's? The only problem is THE COST and the amount of space needed. Obviously I cannot see into the future, nor can I guess the prices.

What I do know is that a 1 TB SDD right NOW... is well over $4,000. Can a $4,000 piece of technology (one piece that should very well NOT be the most expensive part of the console) really lower down to the price that will make it viable in the PS4(anywhere from $150-$250) in the next 3 or 4 years?

So why don't we go a step or two down to 500 GBs SSD. That's still 16-19 games that can be put on that SSD. Once again, the current price tag of an SSD of that is well over $1000. Will the price go down that drastically in the next 3 or 4 years? I don't know.

My point is, there are a ton of advantages of using SSD in a console. Those advantages cost way too much money while still needing to have enough money left over to design the really important parts of future proofing a console for 5-10 years (such as CPU, GPU, memory). Will having an SSD be great? Yeah, no more load times. But I'm not paying over $1000 just for a console that has an SSD (which is what it will probably cost us, the consumer).
SSD's should go down in price by 3 to 4 years. That's how everything goes in the market. I don't know if we'll have a 500GB SSD or 1TB. Lol and I doubt Sony is going to put a price tag of 500 dollars or more on PS4. If they do, well then they fucked up again. So maybe they won't really put an SSD in there or not even an HDD. They might actually come up with a whole new internal storage design for the PS4.

I highly doubt'd that the PS3 would actually have any type of storage and if anything, it would probably be very small - or so that's how I thought back in 2006. And so they came out with a 20GB and 60GB. It was good news back then. I treated a 60GB like it's a big hard drive.

Offline TMRNetShark

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »
As you pointed out the cost/performance ratio is too low. by the time they're reasonably cheap for average folks, that kind of price will likely get you last-gen(or even last^2-gen) performance and HDDs would still be much cheaper. But a separate small SSD buffer for small random I/O is very possible.

Ouch, I hurt myself laughing. A small SSD (Solid State Drive, right?) that acts as a bugger for small random Input/Output... right? That's called a cache, if I'm not mistaken. Most (if not all) computers have those today... already. Hell, even the PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Xbox, and even the PSOne had cache.

SSD's should go down in price by 3 to 4 years. That's how everything goes in the market. I don't know if we'll have a 500GB SSD or 1TB. Lol and I doubt Sony is going to put a price tag of 500 dollars or more on PS4. If they do, well then they fucked up again. So maybe they won't really put an SSD in there or not even an HDD. They might actually come up with a whole new internal storage design for the PS4.

I highly doubt'd that the PS3 would actually have any type of storage and if anything, it would probably be very small - or so that's how I thought back in 2006. And so they came out with a 20GB and 60GB. It was good news back then. I treated a 60GB like it's a big hard drive.

SSDs may very well go down in price by the time the PS4 is released. As for the price tag, I suspect beyond $500 for at least the top end model. I do honestly think the way of the future is to have a big hard drive so developers can eliminate places that resell videogames (Gamestop) and do digital distribution. The only problem with this is that games will probably stay at their original price for a longer since there is only one way to get that game.

Offline bloody000

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2011, 05:21:26 pm »
Of course they're going to announce what's going to come with the system. You honestly believe they should have announced it by now? What are you assuming? Do you have this incredible vast amount of knowledge and your making a big fuzz about it against me? The new formats aren't just to pop out of no where. It took them a while until they've attached Blu-ray with the PS3 thus it delayed it further. I've read this and Sony did announce it before PS3 release. You seem to misunderstand a lot of the shit skipping through my sentences and what I'm talking about.

Also, for the record. I've done my research on the unveiling of DVDs and Blu-rays. Bottom line, get your fucking shit together and quit insulting people right off the bat because someone somehow seems to piss you off. Okay?

Both DVD and Blu-ray are known and developed well before a PlayStation announcement. Even if a new format is announced today and finalized next year there's still too little time to incorporate it into PS4 at launch. They don't make it just for a fucking game console you know.

and look, "dude", this is not the first time I've seen you spouting half-assed pseudo-technical stuff. From video cards to OS to "supercomputer chips", you name it. Try to ask more "why" and "how" instead of simply regurgitating shit you picked up on the Internet.

Ouch, I hurt myself laughing. A small SSD (Solid State Drive, right?) that acts as a bugger for small random Input/Output... right? That's called a cache, if I'm not mistaken. Most (if not all) computers have those today... already. Hell, even the PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Xbox, and even the PSOne had cache.

Not the same. MUCH bigger. data is persistent.  example: hybrid drives, Intel Z68 boards.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:25:57 pm by bloody000 »

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:53 pm »
and look, "dude", this is not the first time I've seen you spouting half-assed pseudo-technical stuff. From video cards to OS to "supercomputer chips", you name it. Try to ask more "why" and "how" instead of simply regurgitating shit you picked up on the Internet.
Wait, it's really THAT wrong to actually make posts about ANYTHING? Are you okay? Did you have a bad morning and you want to take shit out on somebody? This is BBT community. This isn't Elitist Jerks where you have rules about how to fucking post properly or you get laughed at + ban hammered. I have my own rights on what to post and how to post it on whatever basis I pick up. You expect me to be a perfect human in order to fucking post? Does everyone in BBT look like a perfect human to you?

Don't sit there and tell me how to fucking make posts about what I want to post about. If you don't like me. Fuck off.