Author Topic: Reference guide for spotting encoding problems  (Read 34261 times)

Offline Desbreko

Re: Reference guide for spotting encoding problems
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11:55 pm »
Yeah, the highlights for it are good.

I can also get another example where it's more obvious if you like. It's usually more visible when fading to or from a black or white screen than during cross-fades.

Edit: Oh yeah, guess I should start listing what my examples are from.

Aliasing: 1 is from Heartcatch Precure!, 2 is from Rizelmine
Dot crawl: 1 is from GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, 2 is from Rizelmine
Double-hard telecine: 1 is from Rizelmine
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:27:36 pm by der richter »

Offline Xenographic

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
You might want some pictures of what 10-bit encodes look like on software that doesn't support their playback.  I should have taken some screenshots when I had the chance, but it looks a lot like a badly corrupted file, with lots of large, ugly artifacts and colors going crazy.

I say this because people might use your list to try to figure out what they're seeing and I suspect people are likely to start seeing things that appear to be horribly corrupt this season when they just need to update their codecs.

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »
i won't add this because it's not an encoding problem, but a decoding/playback problem. a playback guide would be better for that. also this problem will just disappear eventually.

it may be nice to add a link to a guide with proper playback settings to assure the right playback.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:19:06 pm by der richter »

Offline cyberbeing

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 10:47:22 am »
I'm beginning to think a section for Subtitle related problems should be added. It could cover technical issues with softsubs which are preventable, and have nothing to do with playback.

On the most basic level we should have:

Font-Family linking conflicts
Missing fonts
Missing lines

and possibly:

Timing Scene Bleeds (lack of scene timing)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:48:53 am by cyberbeing »

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »
Subtitle problems are not encoding issues, most of which can be fixed one way or another.

Offline cyberbeing

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 04:20:13 pm »
At present, the only one I would really like to see added is Font-Family linking conflicts since most people, even the fansub groups themselves, are often obvious that an issue even exists. Sure it could be fixed once identified, but if it's never identified and gets uploaded to BakaBT anyway, that doesn't help anyone.

Duki3003, wasn't the purpose of the guide isn't to identify, fix, and avoid such issues, as well as assist in picking the best releases for BakaBT, or am I missing the point? If you just want to stick strictly to encoding issues for now that's fine, but at some point it should probably be expanded to encompass all non-subjective issues with fansub releases.

Offline Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »
The purpose is to help you spot and identify problems to help pick the best release, but the problem with subtitles is that it relies on common sense and knowledge of the language. That is rather hard to portray on a few examples.

Besides fansubbers usually try to fix their subbing problems with the batch or with a later release (DVD or BD)...

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:34 pm »
site updated and a bit tweaked.

Offline mastrboy

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 02:46:39 pm »
Any thoughts of adding some information about fixing those problems listed in the reference guide... Could help new encoders avoid those standard encode traps, like doing IVTC but not decimating, oversharping and too much denoising...

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
that would be too much. we don't want to educate anyone in encoding. ^^

i added four new things to the "Unsorted" list (example 3-6). Bad Field Matching, Dirty Edge-Lines, Excessive Warpsharping and Wrong Aspect Ratio. please let me know about errors or problems.

Offline jackoneill

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:08 pm »
Minor aliasing, bad and good

Extreme aliasing, bad and good

What did you use to fix these?

Offline Desbreko

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 11:34:16 am »
First one was maa() applied at 1440x1080 or thereabout between cropping and downscaling, I think.

Second one was this: spline36resize(900,600).maa().lsfmod(strength=20, edgemode=1).dehalo_alpha(darkstr=0, brightstr=1.5, rx=1.4, ry=1.4).spline36resize(720,480)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:37:31 am by Desbreko »

Offline enzanki

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »
Here's one I'd like to contribute. Unfortunately posting a screenshot would not really make sense.

Never put variable bitrate audio into the .avi container. This might work with some players, but there are way too many issues that will easily cause audio/video sync problems. A program like G-Spot can reveal this.

VBR audio in avi files is a good example of people thinking "if it works on my computer, it's okay". It might work, but these files are to be considered invalid IMHO.

Offline jackoneill

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »
Here's one I'd like to contribute. Unfortunately posting a screenshot would not really make sense.

Never put variable bitrate audio into the .avi container. This might work with some players, but there are way too many issues that will easily cause audio/video sync problems. A program like G-Spot can reveal this.

VBR audio in avi files is a good example of people thinking "if it works on my computer, it's okay". It might work, but these files are to be considered invalid IMHO.
Aha...
Here's a better one: stop using avi you !@#%^&*(. :)

Offline jackoneill

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:25 pm »
Bumpy-bump...

There are already three examples of banding, but they're kinda weak. :P I think the guide could use something stronger, like this:
banding | no banding
(Piano no mori, European bluray.)

~~~~~~~~

This could be used in the "dirty edge line" section, but I don't have a filtered version: edge noise (Dai mahou touge, R1 DVD.)

~~~~~~~~

I could find some examples of ghosting in Simoun, but no "fixed" versions there either. Should I go looking?

(Am I too late? Did everyone stop caring about this guide?)

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »
do you have proper screenshots of the banding example?

the dirty edge lines category was for problems at the sides of the video which can be cropped. this should be in a different category i believe.

without a fixed version some might not see the actual problem.

didn't had much time over the past year, or just more important things to do. this project is definitely not dead, just stalled at the moment.

Offline jackoneill

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »
do you have proper screenshots of the banding example?
Would they be proper if I cropped away the slider? :)

the dirty edge lines category was for problems at the sides of the video which can be cropped. this should be in a different category i believe.

without a fixed version some might not see the actual problem.
Oh, I see. I misunderstood.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:32:35 pm by jackoneill »

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 10:45:03 pm »
i am a bit of a neat freak. just wanted to have those in the original resolution.

Offline jackoneill

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 09:35:04 am »
All right. Here they are:
banding | no banding

Offline der richter

• Former Staff
  • Judgment
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 03:31:43 pm »
thx, i saved them. hope i can work at it again after my exams and when the offer list is cleaned up.