Author Topic: Help the ACTA and TPP protests this Saturday  (Read 19277 times)

Online Duki3003

• Admin
Help the ACTA and TPP protests this Saturday
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »
SOPA's supporters are pushing two agreements: ACTA and TPP. ACTA would criminalize users, encourage internet providers to spy on you, and make it easier for media companies to sue sites out of existence and jail their founders. Sound familiar? That's right, ACTA is from the same playbook as SOPA, but global. Plus it didn't even have to pass through Congress.

TPP goes even farther than ACTA, and the process has been even more secretive and corrupt. Last weekend (we wish this was a joke) trade negotiators partied with MPAA (pro-SOPA) lobbyists before secret negotiations in a Hollywood hotel, while public interest groups were barred from meeting in the same building.

Trade agreements are a gaping loophole, a secretive backdoor track that--even though it creates new laws--is miles removed from democracy. Trade negotiators are unelected and unaccountable, so these agreements have been very hard for internet rights groups to stop.

But now the tide is turning. Fueled by the movement to stop SOPA, anti-ACTA protests are breaking out across the EU, which hasn't ratified ACTA. The protests are having an impact: leaders in Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia have backtracked on ACTA. Now a massive round of street protests in over 200 cities is planned for this Saturday February 11th.

Sources:
1. For more information on ACTA, read these excellent articles from Techdirt and La Quadrature du Net. For information on TPP, read this Ars Technica piece. For video, watch this.
2. Obama's signing of ACTA may have been unconstitutional. See Anti-counterfeiting agreement raises constitutional concerns and Techdirt.
3. Hollywood gets to party with TPP negotiators, public interest groups get thrown out of the hotel.
4. Ars Technica: Czech, Slovak governments backing away from ACTA, too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:34:12 pm by Duki3003 »

Offline Rislim

• Victorique is mine.
    • Rizlim, Anime Blu-Rays
Re: Help the ACTA and TPP protests this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »
Sad that the government always thinks up of new ways to annoy us...

I've read that the Dutch government wants to be open about ACTA but some countries (Germany,USA and some Asian Countries) are not allowing it -_-
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:36:32 pm by Rislim »
I do blu-rays on request, visit my blog for more info.

BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #022938

Offline brunoais

• Developer
  • It's juice and jam time!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:36:18 pm »
Man I just received an e-mail exactly with this thing. You guys are fast!
This stuff must go down, no matter the name they give it: SOPA, PIPA, TPP, ACTA ... If it has the same principle it must go down!
Want more smilies in bakabt? Check this: http://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=28322.0
Please!!! I need hentai recommendation here: http://forums.bakabt.me/index.php?topic=28566
BLOG POST
BBT Ako & Riko Suminoe Fanclub#000004

Offline YouKo.AnDy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »
do these guy's never learn ? this law will not pass and if it will pass then all hell break's loose :D

idiotic old men who try to keep their obsolete business'es going for a bit longer, oh boy... this is getting old

Offline Mistborn

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:03 pm »
Ridiculous... honestly, I guess they didn't learn from what happened the last time they tried to pass these laws...  ???
Tried searching over the media here in Israel about this, but probably because of the late hour there was no mention of this.
Anyway this probably won't pass either. Really kinda warmed my heart to see mentions of SOPA/PIPA in every website/comic I visit :)

Offline nmrguh

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »
I'm glad to see you guys are so on top of this. This censorship and victimizing users is out of line.

Offline chim1aap

• spammer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:14:32 pm »
I've read that the Dutch government wants to be open about ACTA.
We have wilders who forces this. By holding a mediacircus if there are secret negotiaton.

Offline DmonHiro

• Neko The World
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
11th of February, University Plaza, Bucharest. Hope to see fellow Romanians there.
Demons run when a good man goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun, when a good man goes to war. Friendship dies and true love lies, night will fall and the dark will rise, when a good man goes to war. Demons run but count the cost, the battle's won, but the child is lost.

Offline Usorunju

• Cancer Figher.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:31:49 pm »
The way our government is handling this is really starting to piss me off.
It seems they purposefully began to cause an uproar close to election time.
I will indeed protest any way I can. I'm an hour from D.C. so I'll google some meetups.
But I'm also going to download my balls off anywhere and everywhere just in case they pull a megaupload on me.
So mad rait now.

Offline 1000mAh

• bananas, melonas, tralala, ding ding dong
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »
sigh, in finland, there has been 1 news article, and from that I could see how much the media cares about it :P
-nothing from politics :P

I may be attending the protest in Helsinki on saturday...

Don't EVER touch my snacks!||Discord

Offline OniSamurai

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:30 pm »
In all honesty, there will eventually be laws in place to protect copyrighted material online. What we need to do is find or draft a bill/act that will protect original content without completely controlling the free web. I just think people need to realize that pirating on the level it is now won't be around forever.

As much as we enjoy having all these things free at our disposal with little to no consequences, we have to be realistic about this and try to find a solid medium that keeps both sides happy.

I don't agree with the way these past bills/acts are written. I am in no way supporting the government controlling our internet. I am just being reasonable in saying that companies need to have their original work protected in some way.

Offline Tri_Edge

• FC Barcelona
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:10:23 am »
Obama will NOT get my vote for this.
F****g Obama, how can he go and sign something like this, he's out his freaking mind.

Offline lacusclyne16

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 12:15:57 am »
wow here we go again honestly now is everybody that's pro censorship actually mentally retarded or something those idiots never learn and every time i read about it''s always old dried up geezers who don't even know how to ope up the internet, they think everybody on the internet is either
A) Pedophiles
B) Criminals doing illegal stuff
I've already signed against this and posted this on my Facebook and let everybody i know, know about this and so far 80% of the people i told about has signed against this crap as well, unfortunately this isn't the end once ACTA is gone anther old geezer is gonna start another one.
The thing that pisses me off the most, THERE'S MORE IMPORTANT MATTERS TO WORRY ABOUT THEN CENSORING INTERNET like come on government try oh i don't know creating jobs, funding schools for a better education, feeding starving children in both NA and EU, fund for schools in 3rd world country's, fund the cops and lower crime rates, balance the stocks and get us out of this recession like do something use full for once
Of course there all rich fat cats this doesn't affect so why should they give a F about is citizens to them were expendable cattle used for money, let's strip the government of their money and make them live the lives of us normal citizens for erm 3 months and see how they far, don't give em jobs make them find a job, give em a hotel 2 weeks rent payed, they have to pay the rest if they can't toss them to the streets until the 3 months is over, then maybe they'll understand how tough it is for us

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews[/

Offline mateka

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:40:17 am »
I'm going on Saturday.

edit: and btw, the email pop up on the site is cool, but I read the letter and it clearly was written to be sent to US representatives.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:42:26 am by mateka »

Offline Teaparty

• Where am I?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 12:58:57 am »
Hehe there's a choice of sending this to China.

Offline 9thDream

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 01:27:21 am »
You can bet your beans I'm participating in the protest here in Helsinki this Saturday.  Baltic weather be damned!

I guess these barrages on our Internet will go on for a while though, eh?

Offline ASecondChance

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 01:29:10 am »
phew, after i signed the petition i thought to myself "wait, is this bakabt's doing or i just gave away my email to some phishing scam of some sort"

im gonna post this on my FB,i hope it gets more steam  from us the hipsters
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ASecondChance all my scores are based on my tastes so dont click if you are looking for a more "objective" scoring.

Offline Scudworth

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 01:37:01 am »
Are we having another internet strike as well?

Also, please take note people. Stop electing these ass clowns that keep doing this!

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons.

Offline 1000mAh

• bananas, melonas, tralala, ding ding dong
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 01:40:24 am »
hell can we do about it :P we only choose the parties, not the ministers :P

Don't EVER touch my snacks!||Discord

Offline ChaosLegion

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:33 am »
I wonder if a Guy Fawkes mask is a good idea for the protest. Cops here like to beat guys with masks.  :D
Either way, I'll be there. I just hope the awfully cold weather won't make most people stay at home...
Oh, btw...any thoughts on "Operation Black March" ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:47:13 am by ChaosLegion »