Author Topic: Donations part III  (Read 30156 times)

Online Duki3003

• Admin
Donations part III
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:40:10 am »
As some of you may be aware our secure payment processor has been having difficulties for the past couple of months, and is still unable to process credit card transactions which has generally brought donations almost to a stand still.
With the next bill creeping up on us, if you are financially able and your country is supported, please consider making a local bank transfer via AlertPay and then donating directly from your balance otherwise we risk our server going offline.

Do note that during this time, we will not be closing donations even if we reach the amount required due to these circumstances.

For the past weeks I have also received a lot of questions of type: "Why not PayPal?"
Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of using other payment processors at the moment. We have indeed used PayPal and MoneyBookers in the past but they have, on multiple occasions, terminated our accounts, with and without reason. In the meantime we are looking into other payment processors, but with little luck as far mostly due to the nature of our site, region lock/unavailability or simply unacceptable fees.

-Duki3003

Offline schiejeve

• Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
Re: Donations part III
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:53:59 am »
Yep, been waithing almost 7 weeks, first they send me auto-reply stuff that doesn't make sense, after that nothing but, "sorry we have prob."
Was hoping it would be cleared by now: >:( not!
I'm willing to do this old skool, but then again, not for some few euro's, fairly donate more with less transaction costs.
So much to do, so little time,  :'(

Offline jaro990

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:56:21 am »
please consider making a local bank transfer via AlertPay
this, require me getting out of house, and walking under sun.. ill pass.. plus i'm from Serbia so that process would take more than one week... i understand and know how huge server bill can be, but could u find some alternative way? a way that supports credit cards? :D

Offline MetalGear25

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:47 am »
Was looking how what.cd gets donations and one of them seems to be "BitCoins". Seems interesting. Why not look into this

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:29:31 am »
Was looking how what.cd gets donations and one of them seems to be "BitCoins". Seems interesting. Why not look into this

I'm not sure of the possibility of automation, and tracking.
If we can't track the donation to the user, it's possible it would be the same deal as it is with flattr - anonymously.

Offline lolzernator

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:59 am »
Why would they want to terminate your account? Especially since BakaBT is non-profit (right?), and you're operating in a perfectly legal [grey] area, what's the problem?

Offline Schorl

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14:17 am »
Why would they want to terminate your account? Especially since BakaBT is non-profit (right?), and you're operating in a perfectly legal [grey] area, what's the problem?

Because knee-jerk reactions and general ignorance are some of things done best by the general public, thus, companies and corporations have to be equally silly so as to avoid backlash.

Frankly it's ridiculous, but, unfortunately, that's the way the world works in the current day and age.

I've been hit with a few unforeseen outgoings this month, but I'll see about donating when I've next got some liquid finance to play with, not used Alertpay before though so it'll be a learning experience. :P

Offline Intor

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:15:40 am »

If we can't track the donation to the user, it's possible it would be the same deal as it is with flattr - anonymously.

It's been a long time since I last checked BitCoin, but if I remember correctly something like public keys are used for sending BitCoins, and each wallet can have virtually unlimited number of those associated with it. They can be used the same way you use torrent passes for tracking, by generating a new one for each user.

As for automation, there was a server version with a json-rpc interface, which was used by many sites centered around BitCoins. By now there are bound to be more options available.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 02:19:11 am »
Yea, thanks I'll look in to it.
Right now it's 2am and it's giving me a headache...

Offline Mirgond

• Play Asia Affiliate Site
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:20 am »
The problem with bitcoin is:

The value per bitcoin can change pretty fast (see the last hack of a big wallet which resulted in a bad drop of value)
And the wallet file can be easily exploited (which leads to the point above) if you are not keeping it in a really save place.
There is also the problem with converting bitcoins into real money since the places where you can do that are sparse.

Bitcoin is everything but anonymous, you can find the data for a user easy if you know what you do. And giving the upload to a user shouldn't be that hard if he just gives you his public key though email or an additional field in the profile.

Offline nonehere2

• Ethyl Methyl Phail!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:24 am »

So at the moment flattr can still be used as a means to donate? Is there a way that I can obtain credit (status) for my donation if I use flattr? I like the fact that I can use PayPal indirectly.

Offline DarkLumina

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 02:25:20 am »
Here's the plan.
Everyone send your monies to me via paypal.
Then I'll send that money to bakabt via Alertpay.
Trust me  ;) ;D ;) ;D

Offline Mirgond

• Play Asia Affiliate Site
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 02:25:33 am »

So no, if you use flattr you won't get upload.

Offline oychtim

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:58:57 am »
tried to make a donation  was going to give 50 euros but page only allowed 20 WTF? then alert pay goes all spaz and says credit card processing is not functioning now. sigh
I guess i am an otaku or just hopelessly in love with anime   ai dattu itte

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 03:34:20 am »
tried to make a donation  was going to give 50 euros but page only allowed 20 WTF? then alert pay goes all spaz and says credit card processing is not functioning now. sigh

Please read my initial post more carefully...

Offline DanteDesmond

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 03:44:30 am »
The problem with bitcoin is:
And the wallet file can be easily exploited if you are not keeping it in a really save place.
And you can easilly have your real wallet stolen as well. Just use the built-in wallet encryption and back up and you'll be fine.

Bitcoin is everything but anonymous, you can find the data for a user easy if you know what you do. And giving the upload to a user shouldn't be that hard if he just gives you his public key though email or an additional field in the profile.
What's the problem with anonymity here? isn't the point that we DON'T need anonymity in our payments?
Also yes, it should work very well to just have people send a message giving the sending address and then the BakaBT staff can verify the amount and award donator status and upload credits.

I personally want to use bitcoin since it allows me to avoid the new regulations to allow the US gov to steal citizen's money via required 1099 forms from payment processors.

Offline iakovl

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:46:19 am »
got to ask it... i can use my credit card with Alertpay but... it's the first time i'm hearing of it, how safe it is?
i know and used to PayPal (i'm not asking to use it, i just say i trust them) but Alertpay...

Offline oychtim

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 04:12:43 am »

Please read my initial post more carefully...
sorry went back and read more carefully ... most have been a blindspot  .. in my world you call a funding company that doesn't process credit cards your ex-funding company  so i couldn't grasp the concept
I guess i am an otaku or just hopelessly in love with anime   ai dattu itte

Offline Lurtz

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 04:18:19 am »
I also was wondering "Why not PayPal" and i sort of understood. If it was/is paypal ill gladly donate  :)

Offline pstevo123

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 04:29:30 am »
I have been trying to make a donation since i joined, Love the work you lot are doing doing,
I tired to use my bank details, added my bank account but when trying to submit i get brought back to the home page :(