Author Topic: Donations part III  (Read 30212 times)

Offline dialtonejr

Re: Donations part III
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 04:54:12 am »
I see the company ccbill.com all over for monthly subscriptions. I would hate to see bakabt go subscription based, however I wonder if it could be set up as non-recurring donations and just have them called monthly subscriptions. Not sure if you have already tried an idea like that just a thought.

Offline mandus

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 07:21:00 am »
ccbill.com
epoch.com

i have used these two options before and they worked fine for me, just mentioning them for consideration.

Offline Stax

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:01 pm »
AlertPay says that this donation cannot be completed with credit card, and offers to put money on balance with bank wire payment first - but fees are insane, $20 for deposit to the balance by bank wire (fees for Russia). Will it be possible to enable credit card processing with AlertPay? Or maybe I'm missing something..

Offline ludwigrm

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 12:09:18 pm »
or simply unacceptable fees.

-Duki3003

what do you exactly mean by "unacceptable fees"? 20%? because if I want to donate, for example, 10 euros to bakabt, I can accept having do add 2 euros (or even 3, although it's obviously not a reasonable fee), since it is for bakabt. And you admins could reward users for that little extra effort with some extra bonus points. just my 2 cents.

Online macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »
[..] since it is for bakabt.
Heh, just for this I decided to set up an AlertPay account via bank transfer. Now I have to wait a few days and see if it will work out.

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 12:47:08 pm »
or simply unacceptable fees.

-Duki3003

what do you exactly mean by "unacceptable fees"? 20%? because if I want to donate, for example, 10 euros to bakabt, I can accept having do add 2 euros (or even 3, although it's obviously not a reasonable fee), since it is for bakabt. And you admins could reward users for that little extra effort with some extra bonus points. just my 2 cents.
That is actually quite acceptable, but some processors charge much more and are not suited for small transactions at all.

Offline melveny

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 01:46:15 pm »
yup, not working for me too, not russian cards, lol.
Sad I like this site, and wanted to send at least something, grr.

Offline Hisagi

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 02:20:04 pm »
Strange, that a P2P community doesn't use bitcoins.   ???

Offline Kirakimori

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »
I've certainly not been impressed with AlertPay ... I tried to make a donation ages ago, when I had the money and my ratio was in the toilet.  Frankly, I'm far too lazy to bother with bank transfers.

I'd certainly look into some of the other companies that have been mentioned - except Bitcoin.  You can "mine" them for free on your own computer, the value fluctuates wildly, and they've only really been widely promoted by such organizations as Anonymous.  The system has been hacked to failure at least once.  Also, as it's been noted in conversations about Bitcoins on other sites, technically such an alternative currency is illegal in the United States - there have been cases of tourist towns, trying to use their own cutesy currencies, that have been told ixnay by the Feds.  I don't think they'd be so gentle if BitCoin were to start seeing wider use.  Frankly, I've never been fond of the idea of Bitcoins.

Lastly, considering the strength of the Euro, and the relative weakness of Bitcoins, I'd want to go with something a bit more stable, i.e. credit card processing.  It's even easier for us USD users, as I can watch the exchange rate and make a credit card donation on a day when the exchange rate is a smidgen better.

Offline Hisagi

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »
Frankly, I've never been fond of the idea of Bitcoins.

It comes across.

@Anonymous. Idiots will be idiots and give stuff a bad rep in life. I don't think that's an arguement against using Bitcoins.

@The rest, I can't disagree with it, it's true to the best of my knowledge. However after reading the posts in this thread, made by staff and user alike, I'd go with bitcoins. Some payment is better than none, in my humble opinion.

Offline heyer

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 02:53:44 pm »
A darn shame that both credit card payment is locked down and the bank transfer fees are so high. Alertpay truly is crap

Offline Blanchimont

• Dreamer through Time
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 03:01:16 pm »
Actually, I do use AlertPay, main use had been for figures from Hobby Search, though that option got cancelled because of its card problems (I use cc directly now there). Otherwise it wouldn't have affected me much as I only used AP's 'local balance' option, adding more via bank transfer whenever needed (don't trust them enough to tie my card to them...).
What I have there though is reserved for older preorders, so I'll have to add more to it first...

"..It's our dreams that guide us towards the future...not force"

Offline heyer

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »
By the way, have you considered google checkout?

Offline komaschwarz

• 悪魔の話をすると悪魔がきっと現れる。
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 04:11:51 pm »
I've made a couple payments with AlertPay so far, and while not having credit card available is certainly a hassle, the bank transfer has worked for me on several occasions and is a safe method of payment.

Offline ayakashi

• 海はどうして海なんですかね…
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 05:45:58 pm »
Just tried to make a donation, but was unable to add a (UK) bank account, because "invalid account". What a useless site. Is there really no better option?

Offline Kendjin

• I can count to Potato
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »
I added my account and stuff... 8 weeks later and £30 is still sitting in limbo. Not sure it'll ever show up... *sigh*

Online Duki3003

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:07 pm »
Seems US residents are unable to make localised bank deposits/withdrawals for unknown reasons despite having the option listed on the worldwide page....
We'll most definitely seek a better solution, but I cannot give an estimate how long will it take.

Offline Cthulu

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 08:46:36 pm »
i would definitely donate, (US user) but alertpay won't let me add money to my balance. Would mailing physical money be feasible...

Offline uissu

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »
Have you tried Amazon payments?
https://payments.amazon.com

I've used it before and you can accept credit cards. They also have a non profit account (https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/nonprofit).

Offline antibrownie

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »
Really hope someone comes up with a good solution soon. I've been trying to donate for weeks thinking maybe it was just me, at least now I know it wasn't  :(