Author Topic: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers  (Read 75838 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

• King of Ireland
    • www.mangadownload.net/
Your first manga and recomendations to new readers
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:41:16 pm »
well i was introduced to manga by one of my friends, and slowy grew from there, sadly others cant be as fortunate but stumble onto a manga site, and sadly read a manga that one wouldnt consider for a beginer, so post good starter mangas for those who stumble across the site.

EDIT: also  put a short description and what genre it is so people can see if its worth to read.

good recomendations:
Love Hina:When he was a child, Keitaro Urashima promised with a girl that they would meet in Tokyo University (Toudai). For this reason he has tried to get into the prestigious university, but has failed the entrance exam two years in a row. When his parents kick him out of the house he tries to find lodging at his Grandmother's inn, but unbeknownst to him it has been changed into an all-girls dormitory. He is allowed to stay in the position of kanrinin (dorm manager) but his clumsiness tends to land him in trouble with the girls. To achieve his dream, he studies to pass the Tokyo University exam along with Naru Narusegawa, who has her own reasons for wanting to get into Toudai.
genre:comedy and romance

Ranma 1/2: Ranma Saotome has just gotten back the legendary Cursed Springs (Jusenkyo) of China and has been engaged by his father and his best friend, Genma and Soun, to Akane Tendo, Soun's daughter. Ranma and Akane are off to a rough start and it doesn't help that Ranma has a curse from Jusenkyo: turning into a girl when splashed with cold water.
genre:comedy, action, romance
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:26:22 am by BrokenArrow »

Offline Adele

• http://ancret.deviantart.com
Your first manga (recomendations to new readers)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 02:16:24 am »
I think it depends on your interests; in no particular order...  I should point out that all of these titles are licensed.  I don't usually read scanlations.

*edit* Description, eh? Sounds like a good idea ... I shouldn't have included so many titles. ;)

Romance:
-Mars - Kira, a very shy artsy-type girl, falls in love with Rei, a violent, motorcycle-loving playboy.  Romance and Angst-with-a-capital-A ensue.  
-Hot Gimmick - Hatsumi Narita goes out to buy her younger sister a pregnancy test and is caught in the act by Ryoki Tachibana, the neighbourhood bully.  He blackmails her, demanding that she become his "slave" in exchange for his silence...
-Nana - Two young women named Nana - a punk-rocker type and and a girl with lots of boyfriend-troubles - move to Tokyo in order to pursue love and careers.
-Nodame Cantabile - Chiaki is a top-notch piano student who'd like to study music overseas, but is afraid of flying.  Noda is a student in the potential dropout class who can't even read a music score.  Somehow, romance blooms.

Fantasy:
-Basara: In post-apocalyptic Japan, a young woman named Sarasa must take the place of Tatara, her dead brother, as the "boy of destiny" and save her country from the tyrannical Red King and his family.
-Angel Sanctuary - Setsuna, who is hopelessly in love with his younger sister, also happens to be the reincarnation of a fallen angel.  Inevitably, he's pulled into the conflict between Heaven and Hell.
-xxxHolic - Watanuki is tired of being able to see spirits, a problem that Yuko (a witch who claims to grant people's wishes) says she can fix -- but Watanuki will have to work in her shop to pay off his debt.  
-Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind - An apocalyptic war has covered the earth in a constantly-expanding forest of deadly fungi, and earth's remaning population is fighting over the remaining habitable lands.  Nausicaa, a headstrong-princess-type who lives in the "Valley of the Wind" is thrust into one of such conflicts.  A classica manga - one of the first I read.

Science Fiction:
-Planetes - A slice-of-life~ish hard-sci-fi tale revolving around space debris collectors, particularly Hachimaki, who dreams of becoming part of the crew of the first manned mission to Jupiter.

Action:
-Fullmetal Alchemist - Honestly, who hasn't heard of this one? When an attempt to revive their dead mother with the power of alchemy goes terribly wrong, Edward loses his leg and arm, and Alphonse loses his whle body. Now, the two of them search for a way to restore themselves.
-Banana Fish - On the streets of New York, Ash Lynx - a young and attractive gang-leader - stumbles upon a dying man who tells him, cryptically, "Go... see... Banana Fish".  Obviously, this has to do with some sort of massive government conspiracy, which will take 19 books to unravel.  Hints of shounen-ai, incidentally, though nothing serious as of book 13.  

Thriller/Suspense
-Death Note - Light Yagami (or Ratio, apparently, depending on whether you're reading the Viz version or a scanlation) finds a notebook that allows him to kill people simply by writing their names in it.  He decides to use this "Death Note" to rid the world of criminals, and quickly finds himself pursued by L, a master detective.  A totally un-put-down-able manga so far, seriously...  
-Monster - A doctor controversially decides to save a boy's life instead of a politician's, only to realize that he may have made a very grave mistake when a trail of mysterious murders leads back to this seemingly innocent child.

Horror
-Hellsing - The Hellsing Organization hunts vampires - OMG Nazi vampires - with the help of Alucard, who is, himself, a vampire.  A bloody but strangely good read.
-Priest (technically a manhwa, but you know...) - A vengeance-seeking priest sells half his soul to the devil to meet his goal... Exceptionally gory right from the start, but the artwork is amazing.

Wasn't there a recommendation sticky-type thread before? It'd be neat to compile a list of manga series with descriptions and such, although some sort of agreement would have to be reached as to which series qualify...

Offline MXGzX

• Herpes.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:20:39 am »
Yeah, my first manga/graphic novel was Dragon Knights....then I found out it was shoujo (I had been kinda wierded out about the excessive crossdressing lol)

So...I then moved on to GTO and ur common shonen jump mangas, one piece, naruto, ect...

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) is a hell of a great manga...and in my opinion better than the anime (from the little I've seen of the anime) Comedy, lust for highschool girls, and more all wrapped up into GTO!

I'm sure you can find out why one piece and naruto are good on your own <.<

Offline cityhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:31:41 pm »
Dragonball
Dr Slump
City Hunter
is what got me into manga

Offline Sosseres

• A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:24:09 pm »
Drama/Slice of Life/Romance (shoujo)

Aishiteruze Baby

About a boy that suddendly has to take care of his young cousin and the changes this forces.
Box Link

Mars

A story about a shy girl, an art student and the twists and turns in how she and the male lead grows closer.
Box Link

Hana Kimi Manga

This story is about a girl traveling from abroad to be with the guy she loves. In an all boy school and all this entails.
Box Link

That is a nice rounded selection of romance/drama shoujos in my mind.

Sport

Adachi, anything by him pretty much. Some titles of his to recommend are:

H2
H2 is a baseball/drama story about a good pitcher and how his carrer seemed ended. That and the love stories and baseball games that are quite needed.

Touch

Touch is another baseball/drama story. This story is about a pair of siblings and their next door neighbor. The younger twin brother is a highly skilled pitcher while the older one is a slacker, even though he might be quite talented. The next door neighbor is a beautiful and talented girl. A pretty pretty straightforward story, right? ;)

Katsu!

Katsu! is a drama/boxing series by Adachi, not as good as the other titles but still quite a nice setup. It is about how a talented individual finds boxing and how he develops and find trainers, love interests and freinds.
Box Link

His other series are worth a read as well, I personally like his clear cut style.

Hajime no Ippo

A boxing series that is on volume 72 and never seems to be ending. It is about Ippo, a bullied weaklings climb towards the boxing top. This series has a lot less of drama/romance relations than the adachi ones.

Hikaru no Go

This series is about how a boy learns to be among the top players of the board game go. He learns it from a ghost and the drama this creates is quite interesting throughout the series.

Box Link

Slam Dunk

A basketball series about the tragic lead that holds the record for rejections in that area. He joins the basketball club to get closer to the female lead and ends up being great at the game.

Box Link

I couldn't remember any one I've read with a female main that ran for any lenght or has been translated more than the start of.

Action

Battle Angel Alita

A story about a robot that has lost its memory. A man finds her head and puts it onto a body, treating her like a daughter. After a while she gets in trouble and then realises she has knowledge of a powerful robot martial art.

Box Link

One piece

Your standard fighting manga. Main char sets goal, goes out to conquer it and becomes unrealisticly strong while fighting towards it. This series has comedy and does the standard well though, so it is recommended as one of the few decent ones out there.

I won't recommend any more genres since I can't really recommend any titles in them. Titles like love hina and so on I would never recommend so I can't have a harem one, I read very little pure comedy or sci fi/fantasy so that is out as well. Sorry /:

Offline DarkT

• What what? In the butt.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 08:50:17 pm »
Berserk took my manga virginity :).
Then it was hellsing, followed by Death Note, followed by Bleach and now also Air Gear - which kicks amazing ass :).

Offline BrokenArrow

• King of Ireland
    • www.mangadownload.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 03:37:47 pm »
Guys ive goten several PMs and try to stay with recomendations and try to keep discusions in other topics, ill probably open a discusion form in five seceonds
Quote from: "nstgc"
It had each cell numbered in order for those of us not accustomed to reading in top bottom right left order (as opposed to left right top bottom).

hehe, ive had that happen, i was so acustomed to Manga, my friend showed me an american comic, i opened it the wrong and started reading, i said "this makes no sense" hehe took me to read3 pgs before i understood my mistake

Offline Jarudin

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:21:20 pm »
I've made this a sticky, from now on, only recommendations + description, singe line posts are out of the question. Off topic posts will be removed. I've pruned some of the off topic posts here aswell.

Enjoy ;)

--Jarudin--

Offline zzymyn

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:48 pm »
Lone Wolf and Cub [ Box Link ]
In the feudal era of Japan, Ogami Itto is the elite executioner for the Shogun until the ruthless Yagyu clan frames him in an attempt to gain the position. His name dishonored and his wife murdered, Itto and his infant son Daigoro wander Japan as assassin for hire Lone Wolf and Cub. Ultimately, Ogami Itto strives for revenge against the Yagyu clan.

A great story combined with brilliant artwork.

Barefoot Gen
Powerful and tragic, Barefoot Gen is the autobiographical story of manga artist Keiji Nakazawa. It takes place in 1945 in and around Hiroshima, Japan, where the six-year-old boy Gen lives with his family. After Hiroshima is destroyed by atomic bombing, Gen and other survivors are left to deal with the aftermath. The story is loosely based on Nakazawa's own experience as a Hiroshima survivor.

One of the best manga I have read, I highly recommend it.

Offline CerealKiller

Lone Wolf and Cub >>>> all
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 07:12:28 am »
Quote from: "zzymyn"
Lone Wolf and Cub
In the feudal era of Japan, Ogami Itto is the elite executioner for the Shogun until the ruthless Yagyu clan frames him in an attempt to gain the position. His name dishonored and his wife murdered, Itto and his infant son Daigoro wander Japan as assassin for hire Lone Wolf and Cub. Ultimately, Ogami Itto strives for revenge against the Yagyu clan.

A great story combined with brilliant artwork.

I just so happened to compile LW&C and make the first and only torrent for it on all of the vast internet, and it's been active and seeded for over a year now.  Feel free to download the goodness, right here on Boxtorrents:

LWandC Torrent

http://www.boxtorrents.com/details.php?id=127119

Offline Norther78

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 12:24:32 am »
Black Cat: this story is about ex-mafia hitman who becomes a bountyhunter

Offline MicZe

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 04:34:12 am »
That death note manga.. i seem to be unable to stop reading it ^^

Offline RealAjea

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 06:53:17 am »
My 1st manga.....

Doraemon than

Dragon ball than

Yuyu Hakusho .......

and so on

Offline GundamX

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 11:08:54 am »
Flame of Recca
My first one to read, although I would finish Love Hina first. By far one of my favorites, although I have only read a few different series.

Love Hina, which I finished first, also good.

And third GUNNM (Battle Angel) it too is very much worth reading.

Offline Naruto3000

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 09:07:30 pm »
I did read Dragon ball first and i do like it stil so i recomend it but i know alot of ppl dont like it so if u havent already read it then i dont think u will like it

Offline BrokenArrow

• King of Ireland
    • www.mangadownload.net/
Re: Your first manga (recomendations to new readers)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 05:25:37 am »
well in the long time i've been away from box there have been many new things to be released, so where else to make my return, but here.

So more recommendations to the new readers
(descriptions from manga-updates)
IO
Nakabaru Taiyo came to Okinawa in the pursuit of beautiful ladies and the blue sea... But while trying to hit on a cute girl, she told him that her mother hated him... And then a wonderful story of scuba diving, beautiful women and adventure begins!
10 Volumes total, and is scanned to vol 10 chap 2

Air Gear
Itsuki Minami needs no introduction–everybody’s heard of the “Babyface” of the Eastside. He’s the toughest kid at Higashi Junior High School, easy on the eyes but dangerously tough when he needs to be. Plus, Itsuki lives with the mysterious and sexy Noyamano sisters. Life is never dull, but it becomes dangerous when Itsuki leads his school to victory over some vindictive Westside punks with gangster connections. Now he stands to lose his school, his friends, and everything he cares about. But in his darkest hour, the Noyamano girls come to Itsuki’s aid. They can teach him a powerful skill that will save their school from the gangsters’ siege–and introduce Itsuki to a thrilling and terrifying new world.
16 vols and ongoing, scanned up to current release

Offline bEiz

Re: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 06:48:18 pm »
First manga was Love Hina. I swore to myself as a kid that I would never ever read manga or watch anime, but.. eventually, I stumbled upon a page where I could read love hina (among other mangas) for free. and as of that day, I got stuck in it!

Recommendations:

Highschool of the Dead - battle royal themed manga with lots of zombies and lots of classical zombie movie references (ex. shaun of the dead). this manga is rather new and still on-going. note: it also has some ecchi thrown into it.
GANTZ - horror/thriller action with lots of monsters and wierd technology, very cool indeed. still on-going. be warned, the anime sucks balls.
Psychometrer Eiji - mystery, detective like supernatural story, very nice in my honest opinion, something everyone should take a look at. might still be on-going, atleast not fully finished in it's translations.
Sword of the Immortal - long time favorites, still on-going, it's a historical settings, horror action manga, lots of gore. the story follows a samurai who is immortal (more or less), insanely beautiful artwork.
Zetman - action, superhero, sci-fi manga, it's closer to a marvel story than to a traditional manga, but it has way more depth than marvel ever did, might be great for beginners. should be noted, that there i's some gore.
Parasite - this is a rather old manga, about a boy who gets infected with a parasite that changes his life forever, some gore, it's a action, sci-fi story.

and lastly, but not least:
Yotsubato! - this is pure comedy, azumanga style. lot's and lot's of fun! probably the best manga to start off with! :D

Offline emekos2002

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 04:41:36 am »
first and only mange that has been able to hold my attention......Suzuka..weird huh!.

Offline ffx800

• lol
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41:47 am »
i'm new here... I love Midori no hibi...  ::)

2 lines of text only.

Offline fullygood

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 02:28:54 pm »
My first manga was probably Hajime no Ippo, can't actually remember too well, but yeah its a boxing manga that is kinda repetitive in the fights and things but still an old favourite. Have to recommend Slam Dunk, Love Hina, One Piece as well which has already been mentioned by others.

Recommendations:

Berserk - Fantasy world, with a long and complex story...well its great thats all.

Kare Kano - especially for shoujo readers is good romance one.

But I support all the recommendations so far that have been made by everyone else. good stuff!!