Author Topic: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers  (Read 75971 times)

Offline prometheus85

• approaching a forth digit :D
Re: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 12:01:50 am »
I haven't read many
but my first was probably Death Note
or GTO's "Bad Company"

Recommend:

Gantz
if u liked the anime ur gonna LOVE this

FMA
just started it, so far same as the anime, but its supposed to part later, still coming out though

got exams, can't do the last one. :D

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 04:36:46 am »
I can't remember the first, but the second was Excel Saga, barrowed it from a freind. The First one I bought and read was Hyper Police. I purched Galaxy Angel at that time as well, but it was late. It also sucked.

The first that I read on a computer, which was before Excel Saga, but not my first, as Battle Angel Alita.

Offline theldras89

• The dark abyss of solitude is my only friend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 04:01:54 pm »
Hmm... my first manga was Naruto, second was Death Note and it's allso the best one. and my 3rd was Bleach.

For recomendation to new readers i'll say Death Note, it's a great manga and anime for that matter. it has a intresting wiew of the Shinigami world and the way Shinigamis is like. (Shinigami=Death god,Reaper,Gods of death)
Sors immanis- Et inanis. Estuans interius Ira vehementi.
Veni, veni, venias, Ne me mori facias.

Offline apo12

• animated music videos
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 03:13:31 pm »
can somebody recommend me a nice unlicensed manga series like Hunter Hunter ?

Offline allunawatson

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 07:51:17 pm »
OH goodness! Can I even remember that far back...I think seriously it was the paper comic versions of 'Salior Moon'. I use to get them every month or so from my comic book shop. The first one I actually started reading as books was other 'Mars' or 'The Kindaichi Case Files'. Although now that I think about it, I think I actually bought my french versions of 'Detective Conan' first (which I still have).

For first time readers I do recomend reading something like 'Sailor Moon' or 'Mars'. They have beautiful plot lines and engaging stories.

Offline roninmedia

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 11:51:47 am »
Evangelion - Re-Take 
Author: Studio Kimigabuchi
Genre: Action, Adult, Doujinshi, Drama, Mature, Mecha, Psychological, Romance, Sci-fi
Volumes/Vintage: 6 Volumes completed from unknown dates.
Description: A alternate version to Neon Genesis Evangelion based in a world that Shinji creates that relives the events of Evangelion. Only this time around, he is aware of what actually happened, but believes those events to be a dark dream of the future. He resolves to make sure that the dream does not become realized. Meanwhile, the Asuka from Shinji's "dream" watches from afar, despising Shinji and the Asuka of his world that he has resolved to protect.
Reason: Quite possibly the best doujinshi and is essentially a must-read for any fan of the Evangelion series.

Yotsubato! 
Author: AZUMA Kiyohiko
Genre: Comedy, Seinen, Slice of Life
Volumes/Vintage: 7 Volumes ongoing from 2003 to the present
Description: Yotsuba, a green-haired and wide-eyed girl who doesn't have a clue...about anything! With no knowledge of the world around her, and an unnatural fear of air conditioners, Yotsuba has her new neighbors' heads spinning.
Reason: By the author of Azumanga Daioh and in my opinion is better than Azumanga Daioh.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Genre: Sci-fi, Seinen, Slice of Life
Volumes/Vintage: 14 Volumes completed from June June 1994 to February 2006.
Description: This is the story of Alpha Hasseno, an Alpha 7 M2 series robot. Left by her owner, she appears and acts fully human while running a small coffee shop named Cafe Alpha. It is a light-hearted story about the people Alpha comes into contact with behind the backdrop of a futuristic country-side in Japan. As we meet Alpha, she makes a shopping trip to Yokohama.
Reason: This is a different take on the post apocalyptic world. It's a unique and refreshing series and is considered a masterpiece by many. However, if you're looking for loads of action, this probably isn't what you're looking for.

My first manga was YuYu Hakusho circa the early 1990's in Vietnamese.

Offline ZeroandNeko

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 08:11:38 am »
The first manga I bought was volume 1 of Ayashi No Ceres. I didnt really dig it that much so I didn't buy more.

first manga I downloaded ... I dont know why im thinking Inu Neko Jump ... Oh no no its was Psychic academy. If I had to suggest a manga for new people id do it as so

For more light hearted comedy go with Azumanga Daioh
For some action (non bloody) go with Bleach or Naruto I suppose (I dont follow em anymore though)
Action with some gore go with Berserk or Battle Royale

Offline llsektorll

• Lover of only one Box-Girl... My Box-Wife, Peccato
    • My Anime List
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 09:43:16 am »
well i my first manga i kinda read during graduation rehearsal in high school.... it was Ai Yori Aoshi 
"look in my eyes and say you love me" ~sektor

Offline Proin Drakenzol

• Tiny Dragon Powers of Doom!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 10:53:02 pm »
I highly recommend both Kare Kano and Marmalade Boy, both are excellent shoujo.

The linear nature of your Euclidean geometry both confounds and befuddles me.

Offline Azurian

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 12:46:51 am »
Berserk. Fuck the anime, read the manga instead.
Berserk is also the first manga I ever read. The art is top-notch too (most likely the best drawn manga of all time), just like the story.

Offline SakiXen

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 04:57:59 am »
Hi!  Just signed up which is odd since I've had this page bookmarked for ages -_-;

ANYWAY! 

First manga I bought would have been X/1999 by CLAMP.  At the same time I was looking for Angel Sanctuary but that wasn't licensed (At the time). So picked up Card Captor Sakura as it was released and downloaded AS. ^_^

From there more CLAMP of course picked up Vol.1 of Fushigi Yugi but it was to Americanized so that one is collecting dust.  Added Ranma 1/2 and Battle Angel Alita both are incomplete but at the time I was not working and they are expensive. -_-; Got 3 volumes of Ceres Celestial Legend but it just didn't draw me in.  Somewhere in there X/1999 ran into red tape and I had to wait and wait...and wait some more for volume 10.  :'( 

Recomendations:
Now a days I'm reading Death Note, Hana-Kimi, Fruits Basket & God Child.  Just started picking up XXXHolic and Air Gear.  Also have Cantarella, Love Mode, Seimaden & Yami no Matsuai (You can't make me call it DoD :P)

Offline miden

• Megane<3
    • BAKA-WOLF
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 01:32:17 am »
My First Manga was GTO, of course  ;D

GTO
- Meet Eikichi Onizuka, a 22-year-old ex-biker. He's crude, foul-mouthed, and has a split-second temper. His unlikely goal: to be the Greatest High School Teacher in the World! Of course, the only reason he wants to be a teacher is so he can try and score with the hot students ...
Before he can become a full instructor, he's got to work as a student teacher to earn his credentials. Onizuka may think he's the toughest guy on campus, but when he meets his class full of bullies, blackmailers, and scheming sadists, he'll have to prove it.

it's a fabulous manga, a must read for readers! u should watch the anime also ;]
^^)/ !   --   (> ^.^ )> - - - ^ ( ^. ^ ) ^ - - - <( ^.^ <)

Offline n00bie

• I ♥ bewbs
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 02:34:01 am »
Comedy:
Azumanga Daioh
Midori no Hibi
Yotsuba&!

Action:
GANTZ
Berserk
Battle Royale

Mystery/Thriller:
20th/21st Century Boys
Detective Conan
(Probably Monster but I only seen the anime)

Sports:
Slam Dunk
Eyeshield 21
Whistle!

Offline kyanwan

• 口寄せ・穢土転生!
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 11:31:41 am »
First Manga I started reading -

Bleach

No crap.   I got sick of waiting for episodes.   Now - I don't bother with anime anymore. 

So, the usual suspects
One Piece
Naruto

and - exploring some other tiles for fun:
Black God ( OMG THIS SERIES RULES! )
Mx0 ( It's OK ... Could be better ... the ecchiness keeps me reading. :P )
Gantz ( Of course. )

Nothing.

Offline DanteQ

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 05:43:31 am »
First manga: DB (Not that big of a surprise)

Recomendations:

Hajime no Ippo
Sanctuary
One Piece
Beck

Offline xilpaxim

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 08:00:35 am »
Grab some old school stuff if you can!

Grey Death  (great action, nice scifi stuff)
Grey Death on his quest to learn the mysteries of the infamous City. This deluxe collection of Tagami's tale of the future gone mad is presented in the same stunning format as the Mai Graphic Novel, with soft covers and full-color dust jackets.
Grey loses the love of his life, Lips, when she dies in the line of duty as a "Trooper," a mercenary pawn of the government. Troopers fight in hopes of earning the rank of "Citizen" and escaping their dismal status as "People." After Lips' death, Grey becomes an exemplary "Trooper" himself, often the only one to return alive from the most hazardous missions. Together, he and sexy Trooper Nova set out on a personal mission to rescue Red, Grey's former squadron commander, risking demotion back to the lowly status of "People." Does Grey dare to love again?

Crying Freeman (Strong start, but if I remember correctly, kind of went a little meh towards the end)
Crying Freeman is a manga about an assassin who cries after he kills his targets.
The Crying Freeman manga series is renowned for its artwork and gratuitous graphic violence and eroticism. Crying Freeman devotes its time to a study of the titular assassin, a Japanese man retained by the Chinese mafia (called the "108 Dragons") and covered in a vast and complex dragon tattoo. A quiet but complicated killer, Freeman cries after each and every killing.

Akira (Probably my all time favorite)
In the year 2038. A police state, scheming politicians, religios sects, revolutionaries and a secret scientific project all combine to produce an explosive mixture in Neo-Tokyo. The rival groups all have their eyes on one prize: control of Akira, a boy of such destructive psychic ability that he has been held in cryo-stasis for over 30 years. A coup is planned, but there is a wild card in play: the psychic Tetsuo, an impetuous young biker who releases Akira and so forces all of the groups to make their move.

All of these are pretty old, but awesome none the less.  All very different art styles also, for when wanting to show that there is variety in art when it comes to manga/anime.  These are all fairly serious also though.

Offline Solipsism

• Hiya.
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »
My first manga was Dragon Knights, and it remains my favorite to this day. I don't think I ever finished it, I need to remedy that situation ASAP. But I do own the first 12 or 14 volumes. Just like Wiki says, it takes a few read-throughs to really have a deep and thorough understanding of the multi-faceted storyline. But the humor, the vibrant personalities, and the epic plot should be enough to keep you hooked long enough to read it at least once, if not more. :D I can't really summarize it, but it is shoujo, epic fantasy with lots of magic and demons, but in a more traditionally-western sense than Inu-Yasha or whatever. (Not that I dislike Inu-Yasha, but it has become its own stereotype.)

The Demon Ororon was also a big favorite of mine, though it was hardly my first. It's been a while, but it's fairly easy to sum up if you don't try to remember all the spoilers: Girl meets guy bleeding on the side of the road, girl takes guy home, guy turns out to be a demon, demon and girl have several amusing exploits. Then it gets epic. :P The art style of this one was really what I liked most about it, but the emotions of the story were also very well-written.

Please Save My Earth was a good one, as I recall, though I never finished it. I recently downloaded it from BoxTorrents, but I'm having trouble making my way through it, because it is most certainly NOT the same translation as the one I had been reading from the public library, and it's a little harder for my english-speaking western white-boy mind to get through.

Angel Sanctuary was one of my favorites, BUT it has some weird elements and a lot of bizarre sexual tension, so if you're not into that sort of thing, I'd steer clear. Not to mention, the one available here on BoxTorrents is, well, not very efficiently translated. (Lots of typos... No offense to whoever did it, but I don't personally like it.)

Oh, yeah. Battle Royale is awesome. That's all I have to say about that. Certainly one of the best Japanese movies I've ever seen, and the manga, though the art style is a little odd to me at times, is still a fantastic read. I'm still waiting to get a hold of the novel translation. :D

And AzuManga Daioh is a very lighthearted and uplifting comedy about - what else? - schoolgirls. It's very entertaining, but personally, I like the anime better. (Probably just because I saw the anime before reading the manga.) The manga is written in four-panel strips (I believe it's four), almost like a newspaper comic. On the bright side, it means there are lots of rapid-fire jokes that are usually surprisingly good. On the downside, it makes it moderately difficult to have a solid, running storyline. But don't get me wrong, the manga is not as epileptic as I'm making it sound. Give it a try, it's hilarious. :D

I'm sure I'll be back with more. :P
"The collapse of a government is the sin of its rulers and leaders.
The collapse of democratic rule is the sin of every citizen!"

- Admiral Alexander Bucock, "Legend of the Galactic Heroes"

Offline MistressXian

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 05:12:23 am »
The Firt Manga tht i read was Neon Genesis Evangelion ... I saw it at my library and decided to see what its about. Still is one of my faves ...
Some recommendations :

Title: Akagami no Shirayukihime
Categories: fantasy, romance, shoujo
Summary
Shirayuki was a young girl born with unique apple-red hair. She meets a famous but foolish Prince Raji, who falls in love with her at first sight and orders her to become his concubine. With nowhere else to go, Shirayuki cuts her hair and escapes to a neighboring country. While traversing through the forests, she meets a young boy, Zen, who helps her after she boldly cures his wounds but then gets poisoned by an apple given to Shirayuki. Meanwhile, Prince Raji sends out henchmen to search for her. What will happen to Shirayuki? What is Zen’s true character? A refreshing fantasy story between an optimistic heroine and a prince who constantly stays on her watch.

Title: Faster than a Kiss
Alternate Title: Kisu Yori mo Hayaku
Categories: comedy, romance, school life, shoujo
Summary
After losing their parents, Fumiko and her brother move from one relative to another. Fed up with the constant moving, Fumiko decides to quit school and find a job to support her brother herself.
While she sits on the park bench contemplating her situation, she suddenly finds her teacher standing in front of her. Surprisingly, their encounter ends with a marriage proposal and her teacher's promise to support and take care of Fumiko and her brother. Is he serious or just playing around...!?

Title: Tista
Categories: action, drama, shounen
Summary
Tista, a shy young girl, leads a double life. By day she's a church-going student at a New York School with aspiring to become a teacher. At night her darker truth comes out, nicknamed, Sister Militia, who assassinates for the church. For her, no distance is too far to get a one shot kill.

Title: Hotaru no Hikari
Categories: comedy, josei, romance
Summary
27-year-old Hotaru would rather sleep at home than seek romance, but due to unforeseen circumstances, suddenly she's living with her boss, Takano. What's more is that she now has a budding relationship with Makoto, who's younger than she is. Like a dried fish thrown back into the ocean, can she learn to swim again and rediscover the ways of romance?

Title: Crimson Grave
Categories: comedy, ecchi, fantasy, shounen
Summary
Many ages ago, a devil roamed the world. Bearing wings of black and eyes of molten gold, he traversed the world leaving a wake of death with his powers of glittering darkness. The Devil was slain by the 10 gods who created the world and to protect the world from further evil, the gods created 10 swords infused with their power....

Mirim is a member of the Ten Pillar Swords Guild. In fact, she is one of its top ranking members earning the title of "Crimson" and the right to wield one of the 10 swords forged by the gods. Her companion, Ash Grave, happens to be the devil of legend. Why is a swordswoman with a sword forged to protect the world teamed up with a demon seeking to destroy it? Perhaps there is more to this legend than meets the eye....

Title: Pandora Hearts
Categories: fantasy, shounen, supernatural
Summary
The four vast duke houses Bezarius family's next term owner, Oz Bezarius, a 15 year old who is being thrown into an abyss of darkness prison because of sins his body know not of when he was at the coming-of-age ceremony. Oz met the black rabbit(B-rabbit)which is stained by blood, which called upon the chain Alice, will the exchanging of contract help him escape the abyss successfully?

Title: Usagi Drop
Categories: drama, josei
Summary
When Daikichi returns home for his grandfather's funeral he meets an unfamiliar child in the garden. Later, his mother explains to him that Rin is grandfather's illegitimate daughter! The presence of the child causes embarrassment to all relatives and nobody wants to adopt her. Daikichi, annoyed by such attitude, decides to take care of her himself. How will the cohabitation between the bachelor and the quiet Rin evolve?

Title: Change 123
Categories: action, ecchi, martial arts, mature, school life, seinen
Summary
In Change 123, we meet Makoto, a girl with a very strange problem. In order to cope with her 3 adoptive fathers' incredibly intensive training methods, she developed multiple personalities, each with a different martial specialty. But what happens if none of them can beat her opponent on their own? And what further nugget of wisdom will be imparted by the great Kamen Raider?

Title: Boku ni Natta Watashi
Categories: gender bender, mature, romance, school life, shoujo
Summary
Welcome to Momoko's waking nightmare. Things were settled. They were! She was SUPPOSED to have gone to a normal school, made normal friends, and led a blissfully normal life. But the universe is just cruelly, irredeemably, monstrously unfair, so instead she found herself thrown out of home, stuck in an all-boys boarding school with a roommate she hates, cursed with a hideous haircut and wearing clothes which, to be frank, she wouldn't be seen dead in.

And the only thing worse than her current situation is the one that she'll be in if anyone ever realizes that she is, in fact, a girl. Everything is wrong! Everything! Particularly the fact that, even though she's surrounded by amazingly gorgeous guys, her chances of romance are less than zero. But with life this complicated, something is bound to give. In fact, it just did.

Title: Bitter Virgin
Categories: drama, mature, romance, seinen
Summary
Suwa Daisuke is the ladies man of his small town high school, and he has his eye on most every girl, except for one. Aikawa Hinako isn't his type, but when he overhears a deep dark secret of hers, he finds himself thinking of her more and more.

Title: Desire Climax
Categories: drama, mature, romance, shoujo
Summary
Omari Mio is a normal 17 year-old girl. She goes to school and works a part-time job to help support her family. Because her father is dead and her mother's sick, she often finds it hard to make ends meet.
One night, as Mio is coming home from work, she meets a handsome stranger who suddenly steals a kiss from her, and then throws money at her offering to buy her. Who is this mysterious stranger that stole Mio's first kiss?

Title: Midnight Secretary
Categories: josei, mature, romance, supernatural
Summary
Kaya thought she had found the perfect job when she became the private secretary of Kyouhei Touma--the director of a tableware company of the same name. Kyouhei is a capable director, but his arrogance and sluttish behavior are almost legendary. Kaya is doing her best to prove that she is capable in her work, but one night, by accident, she discovers his secret...of him being a vampire!

Title: Beast Master
Categories: comedy, romance, school life, shoujo
Summary
Yuiko Kubozuka is a high school girl who loves animals. Unfortunately, animals hate her and flee from her whenever possible. So when a new classmate, Leo Aoi, turns out to be a scary guy who resembles a wild animal than anything human, she is intrigued. Not only because Leo has an affinity with animals which she envies, but also because he isn’t the wild animal that he seems to be. He seems to hide a very sweet disposition behind his scary features.
Or so she thought. The truth is revealed when they are attacked and Leo immediately behaves like a wild animal and gets violent like a blood-thirsty animal, just to save Yuiko.
Will Yuiko be able to tame this wildest of all animals or will he be just like the others and flee from her? Or the better question, will she flee from him?

Title: Charisma Doll
Categories: gender bender, romance, school life, shoujo
Summary
High school first year Sara has a secret...she's really the super-popular singer SALA! However, as an idol her gender is kept a secret from the world in order to sell her music. But can Sara win when she wants to be just Sara...?

Title: Fairy Cube
Categories: drama, fantasy, shoujo
Summary
Hasumi Ian possesses the ability to perceive mysterious beings; he can also see another self of himself, a boy called Tokage. One day, Ian is witness to the "Fairy Murders" that have been shaking the world. He obtains a strange cube from the enigmatic man Kaito. But what was trapped inside the stone?

Title: Full Moon wo Sagashite
Categories: anime, drama, fantasy, music, romance, shoujo
Summary
A bittersweet tale of puppy love, tragedy, and aspirations of pop-star fame. A spark of hope ignites to a blaze in twelve-year-old Mitsuki Koyama's life when a comical pair of magical beings appears to prove to her that dreams really do come true.
Young Mitsuki loves singing and dreams of becoming a pop star. Unfortunately, a malignant tumor in her throat prevents her from pursuing her passion. However, her life turns around when two surprisingly fun-loving harbingers of death appear to grant Mitsuki a temporary reprieve from her illness and give her singing career a magical push start.

Title: Hot Blooded Woman
Categories: action, comedy, drama, manhwa, shoujo, supernatural
Summary
What is a sweet, soft-spoken girl (Ha Li Kang) to do when her brothers, having just learned fencing and martial arts, decide to test some moves out on her in order to "tame her" and make her into their "little slave?" She runs to her knightly friend (Te Hu Kang, not related to Ha Li) for protection, of course. However, what happens when, instead of comforting her, he tells her that she is a coward for running away like a puppy who needs constant protection? No, she does not break down and cry like a weak girl. Instead, she resolves to grow stronger. With rigorous training everyday, Ha Li goes from being a scared girl who cries for help to becoming the Jjang (boss of a gang) of the Doberman gang. However, events lead to Ha Li getting in an accident with a truck. Afterwards, she is reborn into the body of a beautiful, but weak, rich girl Aram Han.

Title: School Mermaid
Categories: horror, shounen, supernatural
Summary
Two girls go hunting for mermaids to win their true love.

Title: Shinigami Lovers
Categories: drama, fantasy, romance, school life, shoujo, supernatural
Summary
Onda Miku was just a regular high school girl who loves nails. But suddenly, she got into a terrible accident, and the shinigami (death god) Sei fastened his chain of death onto her wrist! Sei may be hot, but he is a bit scary. Being tied together with him, just what kind of fate awaits Miku!?

Title: Thousand Years of Snow
Alternate Title: Millennium Snow
Categories: drama, fantasy, romance, shoujo
Summary
Note: Because the author decided to move on and work on Ouran High School Host Club, Thousand Years of Snow does not have a proper ending even though the series is 'completed'.

17-year-old Chiyuki Matsuoka was born with heart problems, and her doctors say she won't live to see the next snow. Touya is an 18-year-old vampire who hates blood and refuses to make the traditional partnership with a human whose life-giving blood would keep them both alive for a thousand years. Can Chiyuki teach Touya to feel a passion for life, even as her own is ending?

Title: Alive!
Categories: horror, mature, psychological, seinen, supernatural
Summary
Yashiro Tenshuu killed 5 people, including his girlfriend, and is now on death row. However, a secret government organization is willing to take him off death row if he allows himself to become a test subject to an experiment that requires a killer's intent.

Offline k0d0chaa

• "the wise know what they dont know"
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:36 am »
my first manga : Dragonball

Offline kyubixmunky

• Nine-Tailed Demon Monkey Fox
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 07:45:20 am »
My first manga was Love Hina. I still love it to this day. Sentimental value and whatnot. I remember my second manga was either marmalade boy or kimagure orange road. Those weren't so sentimental... But then I made up for it with Pretty Face, and then I discovered torrents and everything else becomes a blur from there.