Author Topic: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers  (Read 75971 times)

Offline chrysanthos

Re: Your first manga and recomendations to new readers
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 03:27:39 am »

Show me the money!!

It's one of the funniest manga EVER and my personal favorite.

Plot: A comedic story that revolves around a rich kid, Dahsau Zuhn who lost everything. Now he has to transfer from a posh school to a poor school filled with gangs and a strong rude girl. The girl runs most of the school with an iron fist and even the gang members cater to her. In a twist of events Dahsau has to become her slave to help her gain a lot of money in small ammount of time. Not only is he her slave, but he becomes her fiance' and must marry her.

Offline kryunn724

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 01:43:09 am »
I know it's old, but It's a really good manga, a classic no doubt.

Rurouni Kenshin- A period manga w/ action and a little bit of romance. One of my Favorties.

I also recomend Dragonball (the original, I haven't read all of DBZ yet)

Law of Ueki

and
School Rumble

Offline Esoliken

• AQS Editor
    • Fan Fiction
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 04:00:25 am »
I had 2 for my first Techi Muyo and Inuyasha

I would suggest going with Del Rey, I like their layout, even if it may not be a great rep

Offline lollero45

• Anime rules.
    • lollero
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 09:51:58 pm »
My first manga was Love Hina (it seems that it was everybodys first) but someone who is new to manga, should red four panel stuff like Azumanga Daioh.

Offline TeeEi

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2008, 06:04:09 am »
My first manga was Doraemon! ;D I recommend it to every kid.
Genres: action, science fiction, slice of life
Plot Summary: Nobita is an incredibly unlucky 4th grader. He is constantly yelled at by his teacher and his parents, always beat up by his friends, and never have any luck with the girl he likes. One New Year, a robot cat named Doraemon appears from the future in order to save Nobita from a terrible fate. Doraemon helps Nobita whenever he is in trouble with future equipments that Doraemon pulls out from his special pocket. As Nobita grows older he continues to be saved by Doraemon from the cursed fate he was born with.

More recommendations:

For young (and bigger) girls:
Card Captor Sakura
Genres: adventure, comedy, magic, romance, supernatural
Plot Summary: One day, Sakura Kinomoto accidentally opened a book containing dozens of magical cards called Clow Cards, and they scattered around her hometown of Tomoeda. Sakura was chosen to be the master of these cards and has been enlisted by the sun-based guardian Kerberos to use her magic and reclaim these cards before they make any more trouble in town. She is encouraged by her best friend Tomoyo Daidouji, and she meets a rival cardcaptor, Syaoran Li, who is a direct descendant of the creator of the Clow Cards.

For teens:
Ranma 1/2
Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, tournament
Plot Summary: Ranma Saotome has just gotten back the legendary Cursed Springs (Jusenkyo) of China and has been engaged by his father and his best friend, Genma and Soun, to Akane Tendo, Soun's daughter. Ranma and Akane are off to a rough start and it doesn't help that Ranma has a curse from Jusenkyo: turning into a girl when splashed with cold water. Throughout the series, more characters are introduced, some with curses similiar to Ranma's, and Ranma and Akane begin to love each other, even though they refuse to admit it.

Slam Dunk
Genres: comedy, drama, tournament
Themes: Basketball
Plot Summary: Sakuragi Hanamichi is a no-good, high school punk that is famous to some for his fighting exploits. And because of that, he gets rejected by girls whenever he confesses to them. In comes Haruko Akagi. With his eyes and heart for her, he decides to do anything to win her heart, even playing basketball. Little did he know of the game that he is about to play, plus with the fact that there is a freshman like him who is exceptional, and a fierce and strict captain who is always behind his back. Gradually, he begins to experience the life of a basketball player, and his love for the game. This is a story of hardships, friendships and commitment in order to gain something. It is suitable for basketball lovers as well as those who are looking for inspiration.

Great Teacher Onizuka / GTO
Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, romance, slice of life
Themes: School
Plot Summary: Onizuka is an ex-biker and gang leader who has one goal, to become the greatest teacher. He learns of the power and respect possible as an intern teacher, using his strength and connections to get his students to respect him. Now, graduated, he gets a job at a prestigious private school to handle their 'problem class' that made the past few teachers quit. He must handle a different sort of trouble when the trouble makers include some of the smartest kids in Japan who preffer a more cerebral approach to torturing their teacher. Onizuka must slowly win his students over and deal with their mistrust of teachers while handling the distrust of his fellow teachers.

Rurouni Kenshin
Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, romance
Themes: Historical, Samurai
Plot Summary: During the violent era known as the Bakumatsu, there was an Ishin assassin known only as the Hitokiri Battousai, whose skill and brutality became near legendary in the age of Restoration he helped to build. However, as the time of fighting drew to a close, he vanished without a trace, only to resurface eleven years later as a wandering swordsman, Himura Kenshin. Now staying at a kenjutsu dojo maintained by a fiery-tempered woman named Kamiya Kaoru, and surrounded by newfound friends like the streetfighter Sagara Sanosuke, ex-samurai's son Myoujin Yahiko, and the shrewd doctor Takani Megumi, he seeks to carry out his vow to protect the weak without killing in order to atone for the lives he's taken. It's not long, though, before this vow is put to the test, and the shadows of his past return to haunt him and everyone he holds dear.

For adults:
You're Under Arrest
Genres: action, comedy
Themes: Police
Plot Summary: Running late on her first day as a patrol woman for the Bokuto Police Department, spunky moped rider Natsumi Tsujimoto decides to take several shortcuts, only to be chased down and cited by mechanical genius and expert police driver Miyuki Kobayakawa. Upon arrival at the precinct, Natsumi finds out that her new partner is the same woman who ticketed her earlier. At first, she doesn't trust Miyuki, but in a short period of time, they develop an unbreakable friendship that overcomes traffic accidents, reckless drivers and even the strongest typhoons to hit Tokyo.

Read or Die / R.O.D
Genres: action, adventure, comedy, mystery
Plot Summary: Her name is Yomiko Readman, a bookworm with the ability to manipulate paper to her will.An ability which she uses as part of a British special operations division.

Read or Dream
Genres: action, adventure, comedy, mystery
Plot Summary: The Paper Sisters Detective Agency will solve any case relating to books and they'll do it with style as the sisters that make up the group are skilled Paper Masters and can manipulate paper into anything they wish. It's the work of Maggie, Michelle, and Anita to find people and books and, while they're at it, maybe their next meal (Of course when that fails the pidgeons outside their window better be careful).

Hellsing
Genres: action, comedy, drama, horror, supernatural
Themes: Historical, vampires
Plot Summary: Vampires exist. It is the duty of Hellsing, a secret organization sponsored by the British government, to hide that frightening fact and protect the blissfully unaware populace. Along with its own personal army, Hellsing has secret weapons. Alucard, an incredibly powerful vampire, has been controlled by Hellsing for years. It is unclear how he feels about being a servant to the Hellsing family, but he certainly enjoys his job as a vampire exterminator. Seras is a fledgling vampire and former police woman. Although reluctant to embrace her new self, she is a valued member of the organization. Integra Hellsing, the current leader, is usually fully capable of fulfilling her duty, but lately, vampire activity has been on the rise. Unfortunately, the cause is more alarming than anything she could have imagined. A group long thought dead has been plotting in secret since their apparent destruction over 50 years ago. Plotting to plunge England, and perhaps the entire world, into war.

I LOVE School Rumble, but it's hard for new readers to understand the puns. It's not easy for everyone to understand it who cannot read Japanese, but for the beginners it's harder. But they would like it nevertheless...

When I wrote "for adults", I didn't mean that the manga is (only) for adults, but they are my recommendations for new adult readers.

Got the infos from animenewsnetwork.

Offline Re--L

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 09:33:30 pm »
There is aloooot of good manga out there.
But the one i started with was DN Angel - liked it alot, rommance and action at the same time.
Next one was Naruto
then bleach , hellsing - as another guy/girl said the story is not the greatest but the artwork is.

Now im reading fullmetal alchemist and started with black cat but want to read some real goood
oldschool manga that is a must for manga fanatics. Just dont know what oldschool manga is really great ^^
need to do more research.

Offline LaSaGnE

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 06:53:32 pm »
My first one was dragonball, of course ^^

Ranma 1/2
Battle Angel Alita
Eden
Blame, Noise, Net Sphere Engineer, Digimortal
Saikano
GantZ

Offline svenningen

• im new here, be kind <3
    • myanimelist
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 07:06:29 pm »
Claymore

Offline HazukiChan

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 10:46:24 pm »
Fruits Basket was my first Manga, and as I have been purchasing it, I am still not done with it.

I reccommend Monster.

Offline blurnoob

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 06:40:56 am »
The very first manga I read is Doraemon ,

I am sure everyone know Doraemon right?
So I wont bother to explain the summary of Doraemon.

As the manga i would like to recommend to new readers (and to most reader as well)

Tittle :  D.N.Angel       Author:  Yukiru Sugisaki 

Genre     : School life, Shoujo, Romance, Comedy, and Fantasy

Summary : Niwa 's family had kept a secret from young Niwa Daisuke.
               At the night when Daisuke turned 14, the other DNA in his body react and literally changes
               his appearance into that of a handsome thief. It is then known to him that every lineage of
               Niwa's family are destined to be the legendary "Phantom Thief Dark" when they turned 14 y.o
               and this curse can only be undone when he manage to steal the "Image of the Goddess". 

A nice read with beautiful arts and nice story

This manga had been printed since 1997 and still having new release these days with a total of 11 volume "tokuban". The art is not very consistence as it had such a lengthy release but artworks show noticeable improvement as you proceed through the 11 volumes.

The only disappointing aspect of this manga is it slow & lengthy release and it is currently put on "hiatus" status.

Offline 22abhi

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 04:42:32 am »
my first manga was Pretty Face i think.............

i found it very good then i started readind mangas and now my day is not complete if i havent read a manga !!

recomendation : [Ordered as i remembered names]

1 : GTO [main manga], Bad company [prequel 1] and shounan Jun'ai Gumi [prequel 2]

2: Pretty face

3: Death Note

4: Black Cat

5: Ah ! My Goddess

6: Fruits Basket

7 : Tokyo Crazy Paradise

8: Shaman King

9: 20th Century Boys

10: Ranma 1/2

11: Card Captor Sakura

12: Yu Yu Hakusho

13: Ai - Ren

14: Devil And Devil

15: Monster

These are 15 very good mangas......
the storyline, illustration and plots are very good and they keep you hooked...........

Try Them Out !! :D

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga

Offline Freezeron

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 06:46:37 pm »
I think you cover a pretty big part of the mangas that I was and I am reading, lol.

My recommendations (by preference):
1. Akira (was also the very first, along with 2 or three others) and I think one of the Best Ever made (the hard cover ones is simply magnificent! and a real piece of collection).
2. Battle Angel Alita? (I don't really know the name in English, it's Gunnm in the Japanese and French version).
3. Ranma 1/2.
4. GunSmith Cats (Two deadly female head hunters make a mess every time they are in pursuit of someone).
5. Evangelion.
6. Dragon Ball.

These ones, are the only that I remember for now.

I would notify also two masterpiece in European Manga (HK) and others styles that are influenced by mangas (Sillage, Travis and almost everything that goes by Delcourt label (I don't know if I really can put the label in the forum, if don't, notify me to change the post) in Belgium and France.

My only complains for the mangas is that a great amount of them aren't draw well and you can't read them clearly (obviously not the ones in the list). As a fan of the clear line design and started to read them from my young age, I'm very selective on the ones that I read (no offense with anyone, girls and guys). ;)

Offline Untamed

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »
Well, my first Manga would have technically been Shonen jump... >_> But the first series (Which I've hardly made a dent in) Is Yu Yu Hakusho.

Offline SirSkyRider

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2009, 04:26:26 pm »
First to read was one of those Dragon Ball Z Movies - in form of a comic book. Then, I read the Banzai! (German manga magazine) and my first series was Chrno Crusade (still love it).

My recommendation is a rather popular manga, but good to read and with a very fine art style: Pastel by Toshihiko Kobayashi.

Offline GundamSLR

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »
Woah, I remember my first manga....Well i first saw manga book's in middle school i remmember a girl with bleach volume two and i instantly fell in love with the animation style, The next day i saw this girl reading (wow forgot the name for a second....)Fruits basket...once again fell for the style........

Then fate so had it bestowed upon me that this kid in my art class was to bring in Love hina volume one to school the next day.....As soon as i set eyes on it my pervertedness kicked in....(i assure you i was like 13 lol and wow did that first book cover get me started on thinking...) I asked the kid if i could check it out he did so with a relunctant grunt...And i opened the book to see the page where you first met naru( by this time i was hot in the face with my new discovery) I instantly offered the kid 10$ for the book...we haggled the price and decided on 11$ and i went home and happily started my adventure with manga...This obsession ( yes obsession i was lugging around ten love hina books around school daily by the end of that year) soon moved towards anime and then the curse yet blessing of gundam....

and that's my long and wierd story....I am not ashamed of my "perverted" behaviour....it led me to great things later on (anime,gundam,love of japan) So i am proud to say ken akamatsu(creator of love hina, A.I. Love you, Negima) "popped" my "otaku" "cherry".

so yes a good manga for boys would be Love hina...I have know girls that enjoy it for the pure love in it(lol) so yes its a must....

Offline Kerel

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 04:27:52 pm »
My first one was Full metal Alchemists, I really enjoyed it. A must-read

Offline DarKMischieF

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2009, 02:56:16 am »
-=Death Note=-
----------------------------
First and only one I read.
Read it in senior year of high school (last year). Went through about 1 every period (~50 minutes).
The display of wits and genius was so captivating I just couldn't put it down.
After Volume 7 it drags, but it ends well (Volume 12). Haven't read the 13th one yet.

Oh, if racial profiling is an issue:
I gave it to 2 White people, 1 Japanese/Irish, 1 Mexican, 3 Chinese people (me included).
Every single one of them loved it.

It is amazing.

On an another note, Full Metal Alchemist is supposed to be godsend. :o

Offline zorena86

• No expectations, no disappointments
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 04:19:34 pm »
My first manga is what I am currently reading which is Chibi Vampire, also known as Karin from the anime. So far I just started volume 3 and it's really good, I have already seen the anime but this has way more story to it that was not put into the anime as many other series are. Would recommend to anyone who is into the genres of high school life romance with a bit of drama and plenty of comedy. So far I like it so much I'm considering buying the copies, just need some pocket money...

Offline Sogi-Ya

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2009, 06:02:09 pm »
Battle Angel Alita my manga Chery back in 1996 - 1997 ( its still hard to top this )

i don't have much in the way of recommended series, too many good ones out there, but i do recommend you steer away from the stuff in stores and try digging around for non main stream titles. 95% of the stuff thats being sold right now is nothing but "me too" titles that copy at least 2 or more other titles.

i take that back i do have a recommendation: Orange Crows.

currently only the first volume is out, its written by an American author and inked by a manga artist. sounds like a bad combo, but its actually not.

Offline General 2

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2009, 08:16:14 am »
my first manga was fruits basket  but for people starting i recommend kare kano