Author Topic: Future Computer Parts / General Computer Discussions  (Read 153350 times)

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
Future Computer Parts / General Computer Discussions
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:20 am »
We're close to 2013 and eventually new computer parts will emerge with new technology. Do you have any information you'd like to share? Post them here.

--

So far, looking at Intel's new CPU's coming out early in 2013, it may look like a good benefit for me to build around their enthusiast CPU equalivent or better than their 3770K Core i7. I'd rather not spend more than 350 USD on a CPU. The problem will come down to Motherboard(s) and if RAM technology does change or needs to change to be more compatible. I may sell off both of my GTX 560 Ti SC and get me one monstrous GPU from nVidia since PCI-Express 3.0 came out and it's a lot better than PCI-Express 2.0.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:54:37 pm by Tatsujin »

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
Re: 2013 computer parts - what's coming to the market?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:07:03 am »
Im prolly gonna get a new PC come 2013, I've had mine for like 5 years now. . . and I still play all my games in high and stuff, but a new PC wouldnt hurt :P, I want some SSD powa

I am also looking at the i7's but TBH I'm kind of on a budget and would not like to spend more than 900 on the whole thing (including new keyboard & mouse)

and actually I wanted some thoughts, my current PC

intel core quad @ 2.4 Ghz (OC 2.8)
Nvida GTX9800+ 512 MB
4 GB RAM

+ 19" monitor, keyboard & mouse,
I'll prolly sell it to a friend who's not much into gaming but he offered 300 bux, what cha think? too little? enough?

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:05 am »
Im prolly gonna get a new PC come 2013, I've had mine for like 5 years now. . . and I still play all my games in high and stuff, but a new PC wouldnt hurt :P, I want some SSD powa

I am also looking at the i7's but TBH I'm kind of on a budget and would not like to spend more than 900 on the whole thing (including new keyboard & mouse)

and actually I wanted some thoughts, my current PC

intel core quad @ 2.4 Ghz (OC 2.8)
Nvida GTX9800+ 512 MB
4 GB RAM

+ 19" monitor, keyboard & mouse,
I'll prolly sell it to a friend who's not much into gaming but he offered 300 bux, what cha think? too little? enough?
400ish bux, just because of the GPU and especially the CPU. You're also giving him a monitor and a keyboard/mouse.

--

I want to upgrade because of many reasons, including the superb SSD drivers. Motherboards and RAM are always tricky and I do so much research on those because they're pretty valuable next to a CPU.

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:45:34 am »
intel Haswell and new motherboard socket
AMD Trinity and AMD piledriver
AMD HD8xxx series
NVIDIA GT?7xx series
cheaper 8GB rams
cheaper SSDs
HDDs with >4TB (rumor)
cheaper IPS 23" monitors (currently priced around 300$)

to point out:
intel Haswell i5 4cores = vaguely 150$-180$
good enough motherboard = vaguely 80$-120$
ram kits (2x4GB) = 35$-50$
HDD 1TB 7200rpm = 100$
SSD 128GB = 100$
----------------------------------------------
total : 465$-550$

PS:
1) i7 isnt worth it outside of epeen, benchmarks and other apps that utilizes more than 4cores, a lot of games doesnt even use more than 2cores(proof being i3+mid tier GPU can max most of the games).
2) an unlocked i5 can pretty much go on tier with the i7's at a certain degree.
3) gaming at 1920x1080 @ MAX can be done with a GPU HD7870 or GTX660 so why bother buying something better?
4) Asus's 23" IPS monitor proart series priced @ ~260$ is a sweet deal. http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA238Q/
5) PCI-E 3.0 at the moment is mostly Cliché, comparisons between 3.0 vs 2.0 doesnt even introduce a 1% difference, its similar to how SATAIII is useless on HDDs.

edit:
on a side note i recently bought a xonar DX and a CM storm spawn - both are disappointing.

xonar dx:
1) freaking tons of bugs
2) fail drivers
3) fail controls
4) missing features
5) dat expensive price tag

CM storm spawn:
1) tracking bugs
2) awful apps manager
3) awful macro manager
4) awful tracking options

cant believe they can't make something cheap+meaningful, i still like realtek way better and an oscar x7 works better, plus better macro manager o.o
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:05:40 am by kitamesume »

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:15:14 am »
was thinking of creating another thread, but might as well ask here.

intel core i5-i7 have integrated GPU's right? and as I am seeing in newegg, motherboards for these chips come with a VGA/DVI port, which IMHO are useless since I will buy a separated Graphics card.

so, whats the point of having an i5-i7? over say, an 8-core Zambezi ? I know its intel, and I know they are "better" but, that "better" is wasted isnt it? I mean im not going to be using its GPU capabilities. . . am I?

I've had 3 builds and all of them were intel/nvidia based

I MIGHT go for an AMD on my upcomming PC, im still thinking about it

oh and that mouse looks horrible. . .( CM Storm)
I got a cheap Gigabyte  gaming mouse for like 25 dlls, with 3200 dpi and 5 buttons, its more then enough for my gaming (DOTA2 + CS:GO)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:18:12 am by GoGeTa006 »

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 04:24:27 am »
PS:
1) i7 isnt worth it outside of epeen, benchmarks and other apps that utilizes more than 4cores, a lot of games doesnt even use more than 2cores(proof being i3+mid tier GPU can max most of the games).
3) gaming at 1920x1080 @ MAX can be done with a GPU HD7870 or GTX660 so why bother buying something better?
5) PCI-E 3.0 at the moment is mostly Cliché, comparisons between 3.0 vs 2.0 doesnt even introduce a 1% difference, its similar to how SATAIII is useless on HDDs.
1. i7 is worth it if you're encoding and recording videos. I'll stick to a similar phase or if they're going to keep the i7 name on it.
3. I'm still debating if I should sell my two cards and get one GTX 770 or 780 (probably 770 is better bang for the buck), or to keep my GTX 560 Ti's until few more years. But with PCI-Express 3.0 in the new motherboards, I don't want to pass up the deal on that.
5. Benchmarks from many different sources, between the 500 series (2.0) and 600 series (3.0), says different. There is a difference. Where did you get your sources from?

Online kitamesume

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 04:43:34 am »
yeah, those are the other apps that utilizes more than 4cores.

depends on what your ultimate goal is, if its for games then what you have now is already overkill, minus the only reason of too much power consumption then theres nothing that should push you for an upgrade.
im suspecting that a GTX770 would be twice that of GTX560Ti's performance, given that GTX760 should be around 50% better.

techpowerup http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html
although the difference does come up when looking at x8 3.0 that equates to an x16 2.0, when comparing an x16 3.0 and an x16 2.0 theres barely any difference.

intel core i5-i7 have integrated GPU's right? and as I am seeing in newegg, motherboards for these chips come with a VGA/DVI port, which IMHO are useless since I will buy a separated Graphics card.

so, whats the point of having an i5-i7? over say, an 8-core Zambezi ? I know its intel, and I know they are "better" but, that "better" is wasted isnt it? I mean im not going to be using its GPU capabilities. . . am I?

I got a cheap Gigabyte  gaming mouse for like 25 dlls, with 3200 dpi and 5 buttons, its more then enough for my gaming (DOTA2 + CS:GO)

just look up how horrible the bulldozer's power efficiency is, excluding GPU performance the sheer performance gap of the CPU in terms of performance/watt is too wide.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:46:31 am by kitamesume »

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:01:09 am »
yeah, those are the other apps that utilizes more than 4cores.

depends on what your ultimate goal is, if its for games then what you have now is already overkill, minus the only reason of too much power consumption then theres nothing that should push you for an upgrade.
im suspecting that a GTX770 would be twice that of GTX560Ti's performance, given that GTX760 should be around 50% better.

techpowerup http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html
although the difference does come up when looking at x8 3.0 that equates to an x16 2.0, when comparing an x16 3.0 and an x16 2.0 theres barely any difference.

just look up how horrible the bulldozer's power efficiency is, excluding GPU performance the sheer performance gap of the CPU in terms of performance/watt is too wide.

I dont pay for my electricity bill, its included in the rent, so TBH, power performance is not the things I am looking at, plus its a desktop not a laptop so, again performance/power is the last thing I'll be looking at, same thing for the Sandy/Ivy bridge, I couldnt care less, I know they have like ~40% less power consumption, but I think the performance increase is like under 5% or something I read somewhere

Online kitamesume

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:11:42 am »
you missed my point, with an intel you only need max 400watts of PSU but with AMD, less than 500watts and your PSU would be making smoke sausages.

if you arent getting it, the money you shaved from purchasing a more fit PSU could cover the price difference between the two CPUs, now if you'd take other factors into consideration you'll start seeing intel as more dominant in almost any price segment.

G530 in the tight-budget segment vs llano
G850 in the generous budget segment vs llano
i3-2120 in the entry segment vs x6 1040T / BD 3module
i5-3450 in the performance segment vs BD 4module
i5-3550k in the heavy segment vs n/a
i7-3770k in the flagship segment vs n/a
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:41:02 am by kitamesume »

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:28 am »
you missed my point, with an intel you only need max 400watts of PSU but with AMD, less than 500watts and your PSU would be making smoke sausages.

if you arent getting it, the money you shaved from purchasing a more fit PSU could cover the price difference between the two CPUs, now if you'd take other factors into consideration you'll start seeing intel as more dominant in almost any price segment.

G530 in the tight-budget segment vs llano
G850 in the generous budget segment vs llano
i3-2120 in the entry segment vs x6 1040T / BD 3module
i5-3450 in the performance segment vs BD 4module
i5-3550k in the heavy segment vs n/a
i7-3770k in the flagship segment vs n/a

I dont understand that last table, by the BD 4module do you meant he bulldozer? (IIRC its 6 and 8-core)

and from what I saw in CPU benchmarks the Zambezi Bulldozer 8 core beats all the i5's , but not the i7's, actually the FX-8150 is the top CPU for performance/price by quite the number compared to the next i5

and I still will want to know what to do with that GPU processing power that i5's and i7's offer, wouldnt it be wasted if you have a video card? or does it automatically set them in parallel and does some SLI-type-of-thing ?

I'll create a proper thread once the time comes for me to make the purchase. . .

=============

Anyways, I read in Cnet that it is predicted for SSD's to have a high price drop in the last quarter of 2012/ early 2013, I'm hoping this is right, cause I really want at least 120 GB SSD, and 100 bux I still think its too much

Online kitamesume

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:32:44 am »
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=363
dont ignore power efficiency in the equation, with a processor using less power you can tone down the need for a beefy PSU which does save a whole lot of money or the opposite, you could buy a platinum PSU instead of a bronze with the money saved.
theres also the thermal dissipation, if the CPU is too hot you'd have no choice but to purchase an aftermarket heatsink and thats additional costs.

depends on the motherboard, some motherboard hosts lucid virtu that enables the video output to switch to IGP whenever there isnt much in need for the main GPU.

thats the gist of it, everything will price down by 2013. 128gb for 100$ flat is already a snatch, currently in my area a 120gb ssd costs roughly 150$
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:41:32 am by kitamesume »

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:41:15 am »
Integrated graphics are overridden by the graphics card. So yes, it is a "waste," but it's more like a feature that you're just not using, like a lot of the things that Intel's CPUs come with. They can't do "some SLI-type thing" because they're two different manufacturers. An onboard AMD video chip can Crossfire-x or whatever with am AMD video card because they're made by the same company.

The 5% improvement is Ivy vs. Sandy, not Intel vs. AMD. Graphics performance of the HD 3000 is not superb; the HD 4000 is a respectable improvement but still nowhere near a discrete video card. So it'd be kinda like buying a package and upgrading part of it.

Also, regardless of who pays the power bill, you should still be conscious about how much electricity you use because it impacts the environment in the long run.

Anyway, back to topic. So far, not much has been released about Haswell, but what has been released so far isn't exactly exciting (aside from Atom's upcoming Haswell generation)... Unless I've missed something.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 06:50:54 am »
well checking wiki for some info they're supposedly 10% faster than ivy at the same clocks while hosting lower TDPs, which means theoretically they'd have boosted >10% in terms of performance/watt.

although what im most interested in is the IGP, i wonder if it could at least match that of A8-3850's and if it has fully resolved the 23.972 fps issue.

edit: lucid virtu works like that of laptop's switch graphics imho, its the desktop version of it. so technically the IGP isnt totally wasted on certain motherboards.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:59:30 am by kitamesume »

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 04:58:00 pm »
The market is saturated with many "high-end" products which although will out do each other in benchmarks but will be perceived by the user to perform roughly the same on a daily basis.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline Slysoft

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 06:12:06 pm »
I've been thinking about getting an SSD, but the low storage capacity per dollar is a real turnoff. Honestly I bought a 400gb raptor thinking it would be enough for a long time and I used most of that up in like a month.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 01:33:45 am »
I've been thinking about getting an SSD, but the low storage capacity per dollar is a real turnoff. Honestly I bought a 400gb raptor thinking it would be enough for a long time and I used most of that up in like a month.
Turn that Raptor into your main OS and installation files only. Move everything else I didn't mention to other HDDs. Your top dog should handle the rough stuff since everything else you have is media, like anime, pictures and songs - all of that should be moved to a regular HDD.

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:43 am »

thing about SSD's is that ur (or at least I) will only use them to store the OS/programs, all files (documents, music, anime) goes into separate regular HD's

thats why I want at least 120 GB, which pretty much covers Windows, Adobe, Games, small apps. . .I dont play MMO's which take up like 30-60 GB of space, but even if I did I'd still have enough with 120

Offline kamuixtv99

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 01:47:09 am »
imported from Japan:
usb powered sex toys.
hentai games with 3D glasses or sex organ stimulator.

I'm not kidding. I think I saw that at sankaku.

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:07:35 am »
imported from Japan:
usb powered sex toys.

Man that is soooooo 2011.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 02:09:02 am »
imported from Japan:
usb powered sex toys.

Man that is soooooo 2011.

I think some of that dates back, IIRC I saw something like that in Wild On!, back in the days