Author Topic: Future Computer Parts / General Computer Discussions  (Read 153736 times)

Offline Slysoft

Re: 2013 computer parts - what's coming to the market?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 02:23:11 am »
I've been thinking about getting an SSD, but the low storage capacity per dollar is a real turnoff. Honestly I bought a 400gb raptor thinking it would be enough for a long time and I used most of that up in like a month.
Turn that Raptor into your main OS and installation files only. Move everything else I didn't mention to other HDDs. Your top dog should handle the rough stuff since everything else you have is media, like anime, pictures and songs - all of that should be moved to a regular HDD.

That's essentially what it is. I have two 1tb blacks which are almost 100% anime (with some music and random pictures) and the raptor has just games and programs. I could probably make due with a 400gb SSD but not without selling my kidney first.

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 07:29:40 am »
I've been thinking about getting an SSD, but the low storage capacity per dollar is a real turnoff. Honestly I bought a 400gb raptor thinking it would be enough for a long time and I used most of that up in like a month.
Turn that Raptor into your main OS and installation files only. Move everything else I didn't mention to other HDDs. Your top dog should handle the rough stuff since everything else you have is media, like anime, pictures and songs - all of that should be moved to a regular HDD.

That's essentially what it is. I have two 1tb blacks which are almost 100% anime (with some music and random pictures) and the raptor has just games and programs. I could probably make due with a 400gb SSD but not without selling my kidney first.

I believe you only need 1 kidney to survive, and you should have 2

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:57 am »

It's dropped so much over the past year. What I got for around $400 a year ago is only about $200 now. And if you keep an eye on Newegg's Shell Shocker deals, you can get stuff that's close to 2GB per dollar ($0.50/GB).

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 09:06:15 am »

It's dropped so much over the past year. What I got for around $400 a year ago is only about $200 now. And if you keep an eye on Newegg's Shell Shocker deals, you can get stuff that's close to 2GB per dollar ($0.50/GB).

Im waiting on $0.50/GB to be the standard, and not the sale price

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:56 am »

Im waiting on $0.50/GB to be the standard, and not the sale price

so that sales + rebate could reach $0.2/GB =D your 100$ just turned into 512GB.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »
I've been gazing at SSD's for a while now, I'll jump the plunge for one, once the 512gb models go for ~250$.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:37:42 pm »
I've been gazing at SSD's for a while now, I'll jump the plunge for one, once the 512gb models go for ~250$.

i dont know about 512gbs but i've seen 256gbs go as low as 150$, that makes 300$ for a 512gb(2x256gb raid-0)

well speak of the devil:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211603
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139951
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:39:49 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:36 pm »

i dont know about 512gbs but i've seen 256gbs go as low as 150$, that makes 300$ for a 512gb(2x256gb raid-0)

well speak of the devil:
I'm waiting for Corsair's SSD's to come down in price. Those are damn, damn good.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:47 pm »

well speak of the devil:

That'd be nice if I was either on a desktop or American. I'm going for a 512gig drive, because this damn notebook only has a single HDD bay, and I'm not sacrifing the ODD.

512 gig drives are still ~500-600 usd for me. And I'll wait till that's the price for either Crucials, Samsungs or Intels.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:13:52 pm by Saras »

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 08:33:53 am »
I'm waiting for Corsair's SSD's to come down in price. Those are damn, damn good.

Only specific models. I grabbed a 60GB Force, which was a bad idea. It put me through SMART hell and I ended up having to reinstall on another SSD because I couldn't consistently read the damn thing. When I first bought it, reviews looked okay, but after it died, I checked the page again and it was rated 2-3 eggs.

Grab one of the ones with 5-egg ratings (with more than 10 reviews). I've seen one before and was pretty impressed with the reviews it was getting.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 11:08:58 am »
speaking about SSDs, which product line in particular consumes the least energy? im thinking M4, combined with a N2600 thats one heck of a power efficient notebook.

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 11:29:03 am »
By the way, if you're in Canada, there are two SSDs on Newegg's latest promo - a Vertex 4 256GB and an Agility 4 512GB. The latter does not have an attractive review score, but the promo prices for both are pretty awesome ($185 and $300 respectively).

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 12:02:47 pm »
What makes corsair SSDs "damn, damn good"? :x I was having trouble deciding between brands (no idea what's good~), but in the end I picked up two Intel 330 SSDs (120GB) for ~US$200.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:38 pm »
^ if its the force series im i've been reading the horror stories about them, intel SSDs seems to have a rather good reputation although not a performance contender, well not by a long shot.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 06:29:43 pm »
What makes corsair SSDs "damn, damn good"? :x I was having trouble deciding between brands (no idea what's good~), but in the end I picked up two Intel 330 SSDs (120GB) for ~US$200.
Several of them, like the GT series (which I'm looking forward to getting one) and the 3 series. Link is here. The Intel series is excellent choice, too ... but the price is high.

^ if its the force series im i've been reading the horror stories about them, intel SSDs seems to have a rather good reputation although not a performance contender, well not by a long shot.
Are they constructive stories or some jibberish "shit didn't work" stories? Corsair is a good brand. The ones I saw best are this, this, this and this. Corsair also has a limited warrant of 3 years on them.

What's funny is that I still don't see WD on there. Are they holding back, still working on making an SSD or don't want to get in the market?

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »
Not bothering to quote...
About the >4TB HDD... even if they come out they aren't going to be very cost effective. All you'll end up getting is 4TB of storage space after selling one or maybe both of your kidneys. :P
Better option is to stick with the 2TB or 3TB drives and let someone else be the guinea pig for the new drives.  8)
BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #414933

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:11 pm »
Are they constructive stories or some jibberish "shit didn't work" stories? Corsair is a good brand. The ones I saw best are this, this, this and this. Corsair also has a limited warrant of 3 years on them.

What's funny is that I still don't see WD on there. Are they holding back, still working on making an SSD or don't want to get in the market?
about 2/5ths of the horror story is about getting a refurbished one that had tons of problems, and about 1/5th of them were about rebuilding their raid everytime something unworldly happens and coincidentally they had to reinstall their os while at it. the remaining 2/5ths where the ones affected by the recall and the ones who got rejected when they tried to do the recall.

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 04:40:39 am »
Several of them, like the GT series (which I'm looking forward to getting one) and the 3 series. Link is here. The Intel series is excellent choice, too ... but the price is high.
No no, what makes them good, not which ones are good >_< Is it just performance?

Offline GoGeTa006

• Anime Planet listing
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 05:12:13 am »
No no, what makes them good, not which ones are good >_< Is it just performance?

(feel free to correct me if im wrong)

it is performance, but like  a LOT
just think about this:

a hard drive, even the high tier ones (10k rpm), have spinning parts, the discs themselves, so even though it spins at 10 rpm, there is that time for the reader to go to the local adress of the data bit and retrieve it, even at 10k rpm it takes time

a SSD is basically RAM memory (correct me if im wrong) that does not "erase" when you shut down your PC. which means it has instant (almost) read/write abilities.

again, since there are no spinning parts it is (theoretically) more durable since there is less "wear" (this I am not sure)

so, what does that mean?

Boot you PC from a hard drive, even with the most epic shit ever, a hard drive will still take about 20-ish seconds to boot up everything (from the moment you press the button to the moment you open Chrome/FF/iE)

from what I hear SSD's take less than 10 seconds from the moment you press the button to the moment you open Chrome/FF/IE)

thats how much faster loads, and thats for the OS, same goes for games/media/shit

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 05:36:05 am »
^ Uh, the question was how one SSD is better than another.
But regarding what SSDs are made of, they're basically NAND-flash memory layouts, consisting of MOSFET transistors each with a floating Si-oxide under the gate. Essentially how it works is that each transistor's floating gate has a certain threshold voltage, and if that threshold is too high, the transistor doesn't turn on, effectively making it not 'present' in the layout. So, by injecting or stripping charge from the floating gate, the device does a write operation. The data logic is inverted I believe.

Anyway, as far as flash memory goes, I would guess the key difference boils down to whatever stuff comes with it related to device reliability. Performance is subject to many operating conditions, IIRC, like the interface.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!