Author Topic: Future Computer Parts / General Computer Discussions  (Read 153738 times)

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
Re: 2013 computer parts - what's coming to the market?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 05:52:37 am »
^ Uh, the question was how one SSD is better than another.
Yeah, that was my question, since Tatsujin seemed so adamant that Corsair SSDs were the best.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 08:08:05 am »
I'm waiting for Corsair's SSD's to come down in price. Those are damn, damn good.
What makes corsair SSDs "damn, damn good"? :x I was having trouble deciding between brands (no idea what's good~), but in the end I picked up two Intel 330 SSDs (120GB) for ~US$200.
Several of them, like the GT series (which I'm looking forward to getting one) and the 3 series. Link is here. The Intel series is excellent choice, too ... but the price is high.
No no, what makes them good, not which ones are good >_< Is it just performance?

To be honest, what concerns performance, I doubt you'd notice the difference between them in non benchmark numbers.

I'd rate SSDs on

Fail rate
Number of write/read operations
Warranty
Power consumption
Performance

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 08:14:23 am »
nope, they deem it "good" because of it's reputation of being good. i think it was called jumping into the bandwagon?

i facepalm at the fact that SSDs on my area is over 1$/GB, i mean seriously can't they get it without bloating the price?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:16:24 am by kitamesume »

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 08:36:41 am »
Are they constructive stories or some jibberish "shit didn't work" stories? Corsair is a good brand. The ones I saw best are this, this, this and this. Corsair also has a limited warrant of 3 years on them.

What's funny is that I still don't see WD on there. Are they holding back, still working on making an SSD or don't want to get in the market?

Those are their better ones. Mine was a Force Nova 2 series 60GB. It's pretty crappy, though it was pretty good when it worked.

I remember a while back when I saw a WD SSD go on Shell Shocker, and it was an incredibly good deal. I have to wonder what happened after that.

No no, what makes them good, not which ones are good >_< Is it just performance?

Mostly performance and reliability. Take a look through those reviews, especially for the proportion of buyers who are reporting failures, because reliability is something you'll want in an SSD. Their Force 3 series seems generally good for both performance and reliability. OCZ and G.Skill have solid stuff too though; I've had a G.Skill Phoenix Pro 240GB for a year and a half now and it's still excellent, though granted I don't use it as heavily as I should.

Also look out for reports of SSDs slowing down over time. I'm not entirely sure what causes this, but it seems to be a relatively common problem.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »
I think it's mostly strain after many write cycles. A device can only tunnel electrons in/out of a piece of SiO2 so many times after all.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2012, 12:01:55 am »
I'm waiting for Corsair's SSD's to come down in price. Those are damn, damn good.
What makes corsair SSDs "damn, damn good"? :x I was having trouble deciding between brands (no idea what's good~), but in the end I picked up two Intel 330 SSDs (120GB) for ~US$200.
Several of them, like the GT series (which I'm looking forward to getting one) and the 3 series. Link is here. The Intel series is excellent choice, too ... but the price is high.
Yes, they're very good in performance and reliability - they're also durable. I've had their RAM long ago and I was happy with it, I'm currently running their Enthusiast 750w PSU.

nope, they deem it "good" because of it's reputation of being good. i think it was called jumping into the bandwagon?

i facepalm at the fact that SSDs on my area is over 1$/GB, i mean seriously can't they get it without bloating the price?
Rating and doing research do matter. Just "oh hey this has 2k+ 5/5 rating" is really not enough - although the rating is high, you still gotta do the research. You can google "Name of product issues" or write problems instead of issues, you can also do "Name of product reviews" and just read on it in Google. You can also look over it in YouTube. I mean, this is literally what I do before I purchase computer parts.

^ Uh, the question was how one SSD is better than another.
Yeah, that was my question, since Tatsujin seemed so adamant that Corsair SSDs were the best.
What?! Where did I state in here they're the best?
:P

--

Are they constructive stories or some jibberish "shit didn't work" stories? Corsair is a good brand. The ones I saw best are this, this, this and this. Corsair also has a limited warrant of 3 years on them.

What's funny is that I still don't see WD on there. Are they holding back, still working on making an SSD or don't want to get in the market?

Those are their better ones. Mine was a Force Nova 2 series 60GB. It's pretty crappy, though it was pretty good when it worked.

I remember a while back when I saw a WD SSD go on Shell Shocker, and it was an incredibly good deal. I have to wonder what happened after that.

Mostly performance and reliability. Take a look through those reviews, especially for the proportion of buyers who are reporting failures, because reliability is something you'll want in an SSD. Their Force 3 series seems generally good for both performance and reliability. OCZ and G.Skill have solid stuff too though; I've had a G.Skill Phoenix Pro 240GB for a year and a half now and it's still excellent, though granted I don't use it as heavily as I should.

Also look out for reports of SSDs slowing down over time. I'm not entirely sure what causes this, but it seems to be a relatively common problem.
Oh, ... the Nova series ....................... Yea, I never even checked that stuff out. :P The GT and 3 series are reliable.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2012, 04:00:35 am »
Yes, they're very good in performance and reliability - they're also durable. I've had their RAM long ago and I was happy with it, I'm currently running their Enthusiast 750w PSU.
Hm, I'm not going to deny that Corsair has a great reputation. I've bought their TX750M PSU, Vengeance RAM and an H80 for my new desktop myself. I was just wondering what set Corsair SSDs side from all the rest for you, since honestly, I don't have much experience with them :P

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2012, 04:19:21 am »
Just look for durability, among other things.

Offline CappinHoff

• Godfather of Halo
    • ClockTowerGaming
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2012, 04:20:00 am »
SSD's are still highly overrated in the cost to performance compared to say a seagate barracuda sata HDD.
If corn oil is made out of corn, than baby oil must be made out of...! OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2012, 05:37:11 am »
^ Is that supposed to be spam?

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:07 am »
feels like hes trying to stack up post counts o.o

everybody knows even a raptor cant compare to an entry level SSD, not even a challenge for performance SSDs. the three main advantage of SSDs that no mechanical drives can get near is the ultra-low access latencies, high performance to power consumption ratio and the fact that SSDs has no moving parts.

just try and put a raptor on your laptop and see it die in 20mins on batteries.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:55:20 am by kitamesume »

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 07:28:56 am »
feels like hes trying to stack up post counts o.o

lol you're right O.o.

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:05 am »

just try and put a raptor on your laptop and see it die in 20mins on batteries.
Raptor is a monster. Batteries may last 20 mins if the laptop is new... older ones can die even faster.
But Raptor still can't compare to a SDD.
BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #414933

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2012, 02:21:17 am »
Actually, Raptors can compare to SSD -- longevity and space. Their seek times are about half that of a normal HDD, and their read rate is about 33% more (or so I think), so they are definitely better than HDDs. On the side of SSDs, they will have several times the space and, best of all, they will keep running at their original speeds after your SSD has been used up.

I for one am planning on using a VelociRaptor for my OS, a RAID 5 for storage and programs, and put my SWAP and pagefile on an SSD. I plan on getting one thats 128GB and keep the paging file down to 32GB. The SSD should last fairly long since it has 3 times the empty space, and I can't remember the last time my SWAP was actually used.

Of course thats just a dream I doubt I'll ever realize.

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 03:26:11 am »
* Dhruv will not buy a raptor as he doesn't have any usage for it...

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2012, 05:17:38 am »
if i remember correctly, SSD's seek time doesn't exist or it's as fast as the access latency of the drives. read rate can be over 5times than that of performance HDDs(WD blacks and such), and the SSDs stays at it's optimal speeds when its under 80% full also even if it does receive a performance penalty when reaching over 80% it still exhibits performance over that of a raptor's.

other than price/capacity ratio, the SSDs have a bigger advantage over raptors, specially in the realm of performance/watt, especially in laptops they're more practical than raptors.

now the cons of the drives, raptors are susceptible to vibrations, they produce more heat and require more power to operate while ssd's speed deteriorates when contents goes over 80% of the capacity and they're more expensive per capacity.

PS: although the SSD's price per capacity is high, ignoring power consumption ratios, if you factor in the ratio of performance difference then the price becomes ignorable, if SSD's are 5x faster than of a performance HDDs then you divide the price of the SSD by 5, so with a given 150$ for 256gb then you'd have a 30$ for 256gb, scale that by x4 to achieve a theoretical 1TB for 120$, how much was 1TB blacks and raptors again?

tl;dr - SSDs are still the true speed demon, outside of ram-disks at least.

edit: i just checked some reviews and WD blacks peaks at 106MB/s reads and raptors at 125MB/s reads. considering SSDs have over 500MB/s... well i'm redoing the math.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:34:30 am by kitamesume »

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2012, 08:58:14 am »
and put my SWAP and pagefile on an SSD
Aren't swap file and page file the same thing?

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2012, 09:06:54 am »
Actually, Raptors can compare to SSD -- longevity and space. Their seek times are about half that of a normal HDD, and their read rate is about 33% more (or so I think), so they are definitely better than HDDs. On the side of SSDs, they will have several times the space and, best of all, they will keep running at their original speeds after your SSD has been used up.

I disagree on both. It's commonly known that an SSD will eventually wear out as you keep writing to it, but the amount of time it would take for that to happen under normal usage is much longer than the average amount of time for HDD failure (though average time to SSD failure may be a different story). I don't expect Velociraptors to last as long as your typical HDD, but I don't know if data exists to support or debunk that.

On space, I looked for the largest capacity Velociraptor on Newegg and it was 1TB. That's the current largest capacity SSD on Newegg, and I remember seeing a 1TB SSD on Newegg at least a year ago as well (though the price tag was around $10k). So granted, the Velociraptor is cheaper than the SSD at the same size, but that price difference is reflected by its performance, and Velociraptors do not offer larger drive sizes than SSDs.

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:04 am »
I did a check on velociraptors too back in the hard drive thread I made. Velociraptors max. Available capacity is 1TB at the moment and I don't expect that to increase in 2013.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2012, 09:27:20 am »
i wonder though, how come the 256GBs have the best $/GB ratio, although 150-180$ is still awkward, when considering 80GBs or the other sizes being over 1$/GB ratio it really is puzzling =/

edit: on that note, how come the crucial M4s has <1watt while nearly every other SSDs have >1watt o.o
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:30:56 am by kitamesume »