Author Topic: Future Computer Parts / General Computer Discussions  (Read 153737 times)

Offline raandomer

Re: 2013 computer parts - what's coming to the market?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2012, 11:02:28 am »
curious to see how the market will handle thunderbolt, my gut feeling tells me it'll end up sorta like esata (available in some devices but not adopted as a mainstream). at least it didnt end up in apple's hands. Maybe wireless is the way to go with ac about to come out of draft and development of ad in progress

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »
i wonder though, how come the 256GBs have the best $/GB ratio, although 150-180$ is still awkward, when considering 80GBs or the other sizes being over 1$/GB ratio it really is puzzling =/

edit: on that note, how come the crucial M4s has <1watt while nearly every other SSDs have >1watt o.o

must be related to production costs and stuff. . . same deal with plasma TV's not being any smaller than 40"

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »
On space, I looked for the largest capacity Velociraptor on Newegg and it was 1TB. That's the current largest capacity SSD on Newegg, and I remember seeing a 1TB SSD on Newegg at least a year ago as well (though the price tag was around $10k).
You're referring to this right? OCZ VeloDrive 1.2TB PCI-E PCI Express x8 MLC Enterprise Solid State Disk VD-HHPX8-1.2T - $3499.99 (RRP: $4499.00). :P

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2012, 04:26:48 pm »
i wonder though, how come the 256GBs have the best $/GB ratio, although 150-180$ is still awkward, when considering 80GBs or the other sizes being over 1$/GB ratio it really is puzzling =/

edit: on that note, how come the crucial M4s has <1watt while nearly every other SSDs have >1watt o.o

must be related to production costs and stuff. . . same deal with plasma TV's not being any smaller than 40"

Mass production, basically.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2012, 05:22:13 pm »

Mass production for the current "cheapest" range and the initial cost of production for why the lowest options are never viable economically.

Offline CappinHoff

• Godfather of Halo
    • ClockTowerGaming
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »
^ Is that supposed to be spam?

Nope just putting out honest opinions. I think you're spamming.

feels like hes trying to stack up post counts o.o

everybody knows even a raptor cant compare to an entry level SSD, not even a challenge for performance SSDs. the three main advantage of SSDs that no mechanical drives can get near is the ultra-low access latencies, high performance to power consumption ratio and the fact that SSDs has no moving parts.

just try and put a raptor on your laptop and see it die in 20mins on batteries.

Not in the least. I can care less about post counts. Though someone bringing that up must be about that themselves.

Back on topic. Yes the SSD's do show better specs on paper, but to the average user or even advanced user those specs/benchmarks won't be noticeable. It's like saying 16gig of ram is better than 8 gig.
If corn oil is made out of corn, than baby oil must be made out of...! OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
You were essentially advertising a Seagate HDD which is not even related to a SDD: spam.

Back on topic. Yes the SSD's do show better specs on paper, but to the average user or even advanced user those specs/benchmarks won't be noticeable. It's like saying 16gig of ram is better than 8 gig.

Nonsense.

Offline GoGeTa006

• The fate of destruction is also the joy of Rebirth
    • Anime Planet listing
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2012, 07:58:39 pm »

everybody knows even a raptor cant compare to an entry level SSD, not even a challenge for performance SSDs. the three main advantage of SSDs that no mechanical drives can get near is the ultra-low access latencies, high performance to power consumption ratio and the fact that SSDs has no moving parts.

Not in the least. I can care less about post counts. Though someone bringing that up must be about that themselves.

dude, I used a friend's SSD laptop, and I was fucking amazed at the boot speed of that shit, my ancient computer (5 yrs) takes like 1.5 minutes from the moment i press the button to the moment when Chrome opens.

that shit took less than 20 secs and ur telling me I wouldnt notice that? and I dont consider myself an "average" user, fuck man If i were opening Photoshop/Adobe programs/ or even games, I can guarantee that the loading times will be minimum . . .

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2012, 09:10:46 pm »

do try to argue once you've used an SSD on a laptop, hibernation and a full reboot happens faster, plus your battery life just got extended by 30mins or more, talk about unnoticeable, really.

uh what? i'm ram starved even with 8GB of ram, so yeah 16GB would've been better than having only 8GB.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
PS: if you've heard of ram-disks, then you'd know that there is no such thing as enough ram at the current tech we have now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:16:56 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Freedom Kira

• Rawr™.
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:25 am »
You're referring to this right? OCZ VeloDrive 1.2TB PCI-E PCI Express x8 MLC Enterprise Solid State Disk VD-HHPX8-1.2T - $3499.99 (RRP: $4499.00). :P

Oh, I was only looking at consumer-grade ("Internal SSD"). Didn't look at the enterprise stuff. I guess >1TB SSDs do exist. =P

Either you haven't experienced the awesomeness of SSDs in action, you have a shitty SSD, or you're just plain trolling.

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2012, 09:57:16 am »
This is a 3 year old video now, but everything in it still applies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2012, 10:02:25 am »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227771

O.o

Also.. what the heck is this guy talking about?
SSD's are always better.
BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #414933

Offline raandomer

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
ssds are good but still not economically viable. The 100 odd for a 120gb ssd is usually better spent elsewhere (unless you already have a decent setup). plus raid trim still is flakey as hell (more like non-existent) and when it dies there's no warning, annoyed me a few times, good thing i take regular snapshots

Offline kureshii

• Former Staff
  • May typeset edited light novels if asked nicely.
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2012, 01:24:05 pm »
While we're still comparing PCIe SSD epeens we don't have:

Price? If you have to ask, you shouldn't even be thinking about it.

Dude what are you on about? Have you even used a system running on an SSD made in the past 3 years? Boot time, application launch time, file transfer time, IOPS, almost all meaningful measures of performance, practical or synthetic, are higher on SSDs. That should read “to the average user, and especially advanced users, those specs/benchmarks are really noticeable.” Unless maybe you're looking at the wrong specs …

Of course, the price per GB is higher as well, but if your system is already decently specced and not really in need of more RAM, processing power or graphics performance, an SSD is a no-brainer for your next upgrade. Even then, for many people I know the next upgrade I’d recommend for them would be an SSD, particularly since few of them do anything that needs >8GB of RAM, or an i7 — an SSD would be the most noticeable improvement they can get. Especially when they're available on many sites at a <$100 price point, and current price drops on them are more common and much more significant than with HDDs.

Have a look at http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/20. Then look at the following graphs:

(Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5729/western-digital-velociraptor-1tb-wd1000dhtz-review/3)

Compare that with these graphs (The Intel 320 is in both):

(Source: http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/6143?cPage=2&all=False&sort=0&page=6&slug=ocz-agility-4-256gb-review)

Your head's gotta be pretty deep in the sand for you to think that kind of performance gap doesn't matter. That, or you've never actually used one before.

There are good reasons to still be using 3.5"/2.5" HDDs, or even a Velociraptor. That in no way invalidates the crazy kind of performance boost an SSD brings to the game though, and one thing way more senseless than saying the average person won't notice any difference is refusing to buy SSD on a decently specced system because of such uninformed misperceptions.

raid trim still is flakey as hell (more like non-existent)
Now it exists (*on select systems*). Seems to work pretty well, although will need more extensive testing for conclusive results.

Actually, Raptors can compare to SSD -- longevity and space. Their seek times are about half that of a normal HDD, and their read rate is about 33% more (or so I think), so they are definitely better than HDDs. On the side of SSDs, they will have several times the space and, best of all, they will keep running at their original speeds after your SSD has been used up.
They can, but not as favourably as one might expect. 256GB SSDs go as low as $189 for a Vertex 4, while the “new” 300GB VR200M (the 250GB model is an older raptor) now goes for $110 in some places, though you might be able to find it slightly cheaper from retailers that don’t offer free shipping. On Newegg it’s a pricier $159 though.

Though they do have lower seek times and higher sequential read speeds than typical desktop HDDs, the fact is that at this point, SSDs still have seek times at least an order of magnitude lower (almost two orders of magnitude optimistically) than the Raptor, and even in heavy-write scenarios they still manage to stay around 60% or below.

(Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review/2)

When it comes to longevity, the Raptors certainly have a better reputation, since they’ve been around longer than just about every consumer SSD line. Having a 5-year warranty helps too, although some SSDs are starting to have that as well—Intel 320 being one particular example. SSD reputations are also steadily (and quite quickly) improving, but bad news travels faster than good news. Most SSD issues I hear are from one of these categories:

1) Old, really outdated impressions of early SSDs, which had no TRIM support terrible write amplification, and really terrible write latencies after heavy use.
2) Enterprise users who write tens or hundreds of GB on a daily basis.
3) Complaints about firmware issues on early Sandforce controllers

All valid issues, but how many of these apply to the typical consumer? The Vertex 4s are running on OCZ’s new and improved Indilinx controller, and there are now many models not running on Sandforce: Samsung, Intel, Crucial, etc. They don’t have much of a reliability reputation yet, but that’s to be expected of new products—one can’t really assess reliability of a product that hasn’t been in the market beyond its warranty lifetime, right?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:02:10 pm by kureshii »

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »
kureshii that is the sexiest PCI extension card I have ever seen.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline Dhruv

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2012, 06:45:45 pm »
It says price is like $15000 per card.
BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #414933

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 02:55:12 am »
While we're still comparing PCIe SSD epeens we don't have:

Price? If you have to ask, you shouldn't even be thinking about it.

It kinda looks upside down.

Offline kureshii

• Former Staff
  • May typeset edited light novels if asked nicely.
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 06:23:26 am »
It kinda looks upside down.
Flip the case upside-down :V

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:39 am »

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2012, 01:16:10 am »
Will Haswell have more cores in a Desktop?

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸