Author Topic: Black Desert Online  (Read 1959 times)

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
Re: Black Desert Online
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 03:31:15 pm »
Probably because the game is mod unfriendly. Unlike the 2 first ones.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 05:49:12 am »

It is mod unfriendly, yes. It should not have been. I replayed DA:Origins 4 times cause of mods.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:40 am »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
it used to not have any preset options, which I found annoying since I have no interest in fine tuning my characters, glad to see that they've added some presets and that beauty album thing looks awesome...it's a shame the game itself is extremely bland

Offline blackhole

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 09:33:19 am »

It is mod unfriendly, yes. It should not have been. I replayed DA:Origins 4 times cause of mods.
Ironically XCom2 is mod friendly but modder unfriendly XD
It took me a few days to figure out the things I wanted to change just by using INI files, and you can do many changes with just that.

I can tell you that Inquisition can also be modded in ini files, but it's very limited.

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 01:16:41 pm »
I actually have a fair amount of mods for DAI. Some modder made a way of packaging them: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/693

But getting back on topic... I'm actually having a lot of fun so far. Though to be honest I've probably spent twice the amount of time making characters than I have playing them... lol

I doubt the fun will last but it should be good enough for a month or two at least, and for just $10 that's not bad at all as far as entertainment value per dollar.

Offline marinosgr

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 11:51:56 am »
Bumping on this, but how is this game faring right now? A friend of mine told me they got a trial and seems like price dropped a lot since I last checked.

I'm downloading the trial but since I want to try out a bunch of classes to see if I like any I don't think I'll be able to go far enough to tell if it will be worth my time or not, time needed to be spent etc. Any impressions/opinions from people still playing it?

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 01:09:58 am »
The game is getting a lot of content lately, catching up with the Korean version pretty fast. My biggest advice to you if you do get the game is do not pay for pets, costumes, or value packs. Just straight up do not do that. You can buy those 3 things on the marketplace for silver. It may take you a few months to actually get 4 pets via the marketplace because it's kinda RNG who gets the chance to buy it when it comes up, but it's definitely doable.

People are going to try to tell you that the only way to play the game is if you buy 3 or 4 pets. Yeah, don't do that. It's literally just laziness. I got all the way to like 55 with no pets whatsoever. They're more convenient and all but you don't need to pay for that when you could eventually buy them all with silver.

You can make around 3-7m a night on average just afk fishing, to give you an idea. A pet costs around 4m, a costume ~24m, and a value pack ~9m. If you're afk fishing while you sleep then selling everything when you wake up then starting again before you go to work you can make a pretty decent amount every day just passively while not even playing. You'd have to have something like a Balenos Rod +6 with a branding stone applied on it, or maybe a bit more highly enchanted Epheria Rod. Inventory space would be a problem if you're going to be afk for more than 3 or 4 hours. That might be something you'd actually want to buy, but only if you plan on afk fishing. Otherwise, you're really not going to need more inventory than the game gives you for free.

You're going to want a higher weight limit but you can get that from loyalties pretty easily. 3500 loyalties is +50LT and you can get 4 per character. You only get 100 loyalties every day you log in but there's this game in the ESC menu called Black Spirit Adventures. I don't think it's going to be around forever but every now and then you can land on a bonus extra 1500 loyalties or 700 loyalties. I've done it enough times that I've already got +100LT from the loyalty shop.

If you do want more inventory space than the game gives you for free then the loyalty shop isn't really viable. It takes 1000 loyalties for just 1 extra space, which is obscene. It'd take like 3½ years just for one character. So yeah, that's the one thing you'd really need to buy but only if you plan on afk fishing a lot.

It's very easy to get to 56. It might take a few days your first time but alts will be much faster because there's no traditional level restrictions on gear like on other games. The entire gear system is generally geared around enchanting, and you could put highly enchanted gear on a new character and pretty much have god-mode and get up to high level in just a few hours.

56 isn't the max level, there's just a soft cap where it gets increasingly hard to gain levels after 56. I don't know that anyone's higher than 60... but 56 is when you get your awakening weapon and skills.

The game's very pretty and it's fun to play. There's a lot of various lifeskill stuff to do, though it's mostly for being afk. If you don't enjoy PvP and grinding for a few hrs a day you probably won't have all that great of a time in the long term. And well, if you want to PvP you're going to have to do a lot of grinding so you can battle the RNG gods to enchant your gear to a level that is competitive. If you don't care about PvP you'll still probably spend most of the time working towards better gear, or more enchanted gear.

The story for the game is really poorly done, and the questing system isn't even remotely cohesive. You should do all the quests though because contribution experience increases your contribution points which is how many nodes you can invest in, connect, or the things you can do with them in towns like increase your storage limit.

Ranger & Witch are pretty much the de facto best classes right now, so hopefully you can find enjoyment in one of those. I'd try to at least. But here are my personal impressions (which are in no way definitive):

1. Maehwa - For me this class just had the best feel to it. A good natural flow to the combat, and the controls were very intuitive. This was the last class I tried. It's also extremely mobile - you can zoom around at any given time with RMB. It hits like a truck too and has great sustain, both health and "mana." One thing I have read however, and may regret, is that some of the big endgame world bosses are a real pain in the ass for melee classes with no clear mechanics and instant kill attacks.
2. Kunoichi - Having started with Witch and then Ranger this one felt really good. It's a lot like Maehwa. The only thing I wasn't too happy about was that I could already tell it had a bit of stealth focus which I had no interest in because I knew that later in the game it would probably become necessary to actually utilize that feature. One thing I did notice when trying it was that with it's directional side attack that zooms around it had amazing sustain for its "mana" pool. I didn't see much of any sustain for its health pool however.
3. Witch - It was my first so it was kind of overwhelming at the time, all the new controls to learn and stuff but in hindsight I really enjoyed it and it was extremely powerful. I also liked how easily it could heal itself and refill its mana pool. I did however find that I liked knifing stuff if it got close.
4. Ranger - It was the second class I made and honestly it did seem a little weird to me how much it zooms around with every attack as a ranged class, and its better attack controls felt a little unnatural to me. It's this sort of weird half way place between a melee and a ranged character. I did find that I enjoyed kicking stuff when it got close.
5. Sorceress - This one was really awkward. It seemed to be mostly melee attacks and a kind of underwhelming magical attack that was way weaker than the witch's. I was expecting something more like a reskinned witch with cooler looking skills and maybe a bit more focus on short range magical AOE attacks after drawing monsters in close but taking it up to 20 it honestly seemed more like the crappy magical attack (LMB+RMB which was chargable to make it more powerful) almost existed just to draw mobs into melee range to slash at them with your hands. It just really wasn't what I was expecting and it felt really unnatural and bizarre to me.
6. Tamer - The controls for this felt pretty intuitive but it was just extremely weak. It was about the 6th class I tried and it was just so weak. I guess they get better when they get their spirit beast past 20 but I wasn't going to bother messing with it.
7. Valkyrie - This one was probably the 5th class I tried and it was very apparent to me that this thing has utterly shit damage. Compared to all the rest of the classes the speed at which this thing kills is just pathetic. At least that was my experience.

I don't play male classes, so I never tried the others; though, wizard, musa, and ninja are just male clones of their sister classes. Berserker looks pretty cool but there's no way I'm going to go around looking like that. Maybe I'll like the new Dark Knight thingy when it comes out. Anyways, I put those classes in order of how I felt about them from best to worst. You should, however, try them all out and form your own opinions.

Oh and uh, a few tips... When you hit ESC and go to Disconnect then END GAME you can just have the game minimize to your system tray rather than actually close, so you could do that and play another game or work or watch movies or something.

Make sure you do the black spirit adventures every day while it's available. It gives a lot of free stuff that can really add up.

And uh, when you get a quest called Investigate Pumpkins at Alejandro Farm what it wants you to do is to climb on top of the building to "investigate" the pile of pumpkins up there. It doesn't want you to kill anything or farm pumpkins. It's kinda confusing.

When you're auto pathing somewhere on your horse (T) you can hold RMB and then hit SHIFT a few times to go full speed. You have to hold down RMB for it to keep going full speed while auto pathing but that's the only way I know of to go full speed while auto pathing. It's a lot slower without doing that.

Visit Lara in Heidal to turn beginner HP potions into small potions. Don't bother getting the MP potion rewards, I guess. I've never used them on anything. After you do that initially and have small potions you can transform 3 into the next higher tier potion using Simple Alchemy (L), all the way up to extra large or whatever.

Regardless of class I think Helm/Gloves Grunil and Chest/Boots Taritas are probably best, for starting out. If you want 150 more weight limit instead then instead of Taritas you can do Armor of Hercules' Might. For accessories, there's no way you're going to be able to afford any high end ones and even attempt to enchant them until you've been playing a month or two, so start out with these...

Rings: PRI/DUO blue coral rings/ Mark of Shadow
Earrings: PRI/DUO Red/Blue Coral Earring or Witch's Earring
Neck: TRI Bares Necklace (same stats as base Ogre Ring except 1/20th of the price)
Waist: PRI/DUO/TRI Belt of Shultz the gladiator

For Witch or Ranger, use a steel dagger offhand if you have no plans for PvP, otherwise use Bronze. As for main hand weapon, most people suggest Yuria until you can afford Liverto then use that or get a Kzarka later. Personaly, I prefer Kalis over Yuria because it's much cheaper for a new player to enchant and has higher damage:

+15 Liverto: 78-82 (80), +15 Ult Yuria 68-77 (72.5), +15 Ult Kalis 65-83 (74)
DUO Liverto: 94-98 (96), DUO Ult Yuria 84-93 (88.5), DUO Ult Kalis 81-99 (90)

Here's some useful data sheets you might want:

You'll want this too: http://orcz.com/Category:Black_Desert_Online_Inventory_Expansion_Quests

And here are my guest passes if anyone needs one:
OG7ML0Q-L1H5UD0-DFUJ7G2-7T7Q9
DGM84SI-5JCGH08-BKG44EC-PAB5B
18HA8DC-KIKAVGJ-9SR6DOJ-OERQ1
3K4QM5L-PTHKEMJ-KMTOGOM-FFSII
VRMHBGE-H36SF9H-IIHP0MT-SF7J4
K2H7P3B-FC8LAC7-L0TDODJ-EDGSD
A0KRUT8-71PKAT5-SEE8TE0-3L01K
KPFABLV-26RNUH3-71JK1HS-EFA0
CT4V71O-JSHG74L-HV3JGRL-ENRPI
ORH6RF7-FO6T8OV-HBJPA91-GIQDE

If you use one then buy the game later I get free stuff, so feel free to use 'em.

Offline marinosgr

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 02:49:36 pm »
Wow. That was extremely more detailed than any reply I was ever  hoping to get :p I've been going around reddit a lot because I got tired of Blade and Soul so I wanted a new game and BDO seemed quite the perfect fit. Everyone on the site kept saying ''Buy pets and the 30$ game pack'' or this game is ''P2W trash'' etc. Good thing I get to see for myself with the trial.

As for the classes thanks for the info. After watching some videos I really didn't know what to pick. I liked the look of most of them and I also really like the new Dark Knight that's on Korea right now. I'll probably go with Maehwa or Sorceress. Sorceress being my main candidate just because I always prefer ranged mages (and my experience in B&S where everything was so much easier for the ranged classes and I wrongfully decided to play melee for once).

If I decide to stick with the game I'll use one of your codes just as a thanks for helping me out a bit :p

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »
Well, apparently, they put the Baltic regions together with the Russian one. Which means that I'm not touching this game with a 7ft pole. Bit of a shame.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 09:27:05 pm »
If you want a ranged mage you should probably go with Witch rather than Sorceress. Like I said, Sorceress is short to mid range and a melee mostly with some shoddy magic strewn about. Try both though, see which you like.

Oh and this should be useful to you later, if any of you end up playing:

Connecting nodes is useful for trading. I mostly use it for fishing. You have to have the nodes connected from where you fish and where you sell and there's a distance bonus per each node distance, up to a +30% bonus. So, that's nice. I mostly don't use that though. I sell to the Imperial Fishing Delivery guys cause rather than 100-130% they always give you 250% for your blue & gold fish. They only take 30 of each fish every 3 hrs though (per channel), so you might have to change to less populated channels and wait 10 minutes to try and sell them if you want over double the cash for them. And y'know, you can visit some of the others too... as long as you have nodes connected.

@Saras, I guess you could play on the NA server if you just particularly don't like Baltic people. If you're wanting to avoid drama though, good luck with that. The community is pretty toxic. Like, full of complete asshats. Entitled douchebagish memesters, the lot of them. On the plus side, you'd be better off playing during hours when hardly anyone else is on cause people that think they're entitled to an entire region of the map as "theirs" PKing you for being near what they've unofficially claimed as their spot could get annoying. It doesn't really matter though in the long run. There's no downside to dying to a PK, just have to take a few seconds to run back from the closest node. Big downsides to PKing someone though.

The amusing thing is that they call it "karma bombing" if someone keeps coming back after someone PK's them because each time that PKer kills them they get a massive negative karma hit. Ironically, it's not the "karma bomber" doing it to them, it's them... They literally have to enable PvP and attack someone else to ever get negative karma, and a lot of these entitled asshats go on to complain about it... actually complain about them killing someone else unprovoked and they have the audacity to come back and so they keep killing them getting more and more negative karma. Why? Cause they dumb.

Anyways, you can mostly avoid that if you avoid the two areas with Pirates and Sausans... and avoiding those areas is totally viable.

Here's some useful links:
http://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/2015/05/05/leveling-1-60-guide/#19
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/3a2jdl/everything_about_gear/
http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/mmo/black-desert-online-exploits-hacks/black-desert-guides/551039-increase-your-inventory-slots-all-inventory-expansion-quests-links.html
http://dulfy.net/2016/03/03/black-desert-online-horse-taming-and-breeding-guide/#Finding_Wild_Horses
http://dulfy.net/2016/06/21/black-desert-wagon-and-wagon-parts-guide/ (my advice, just buy a wagon if you want one... way easier)
http://www.blackd.de/horse/
http://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/2015/05/05/farming-spots-for-level-50/#17
http://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/2016/05/24/valencia-patch-guide/#4

Treasure chest maps (use silver keys you get fishing to open them):
http://bddatabase.net/us/npc/35040/
http://bddatabase.net/us/npc/35041/
http://bddatabase.net/us/npc/35042/

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 09:45:06 pm »
@Saras, I guess you could play on the NA server if you just particularly don't like Baltic people. If you're wanting to avoid drama though, good luck with that. The community is pretty toxic. Like, full of complete asshats. Entitled douchebagish memesters, the lot of them. On the plus side, you'd be better off playing during hours when hardly anyone else is on cause people that think they're entitled to an entire region of the map as "theirs" PKing you for being near what they've unofficially claimed as their spot could get annoying. It doesn't really matter though in the long run. There's no downside to dying to a PK, just have to take a few seconds to run back from the closest node. Big downsides to PKing someone though.

I have nothing against the Baltics, problem is that I'm locked in the Russian server and my Russian is at about the level of a elementary aged kid. I can't play on an English server without a VPN. And to having to use a VPN to play is something I won't do.

I'd be playing a weird single player game with an eternal background of SUKA BLIAT, which isn't very much to my liking.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:54:27 pm by Saras »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 01:25:17 am »
Explain what negative karma does, cuz other than the sound of the name, it explains nothing.

And since the game has an open PK system, I automatically will never touch the game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:23:29 pm by macros74 »

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 05:26:48 am »
If you guys play, do Altar Imps until you can do Swamp Nagas (I'm talking really early level stuff), and then do those until they're white (so like until level 29 or 30). They drop items that you can turn in at certain NPC's for pretty good cash. Best you're going to see until much much later, like level 50+.

Explain what negative karma does, cuz other than the sound of the name, it explains nothing.

And since the game has an open PK system, I automatically will never touch the game.
First you need to understand that the entire game is based around gear and enchanting. I'll get to that in a second.

The first aspect is that after a few kills you go red which means anyone can attack your ass with zero penalty. So that means you can't AFK. You also can't enter towns without getting attacked by the guards. I don't even think you can attack players or guards once you're red, so you're defenseless.

If you die with negative karma, your gear has a good chance to lose enchantment levels. In other words, something you grinded weeks or months to enchant could be lost in an instant because you decided to be a douche. The crystals in your gear breaks too, and you lose experience. Supposedly stuff drops from your bag too, but idk about that.

The only way to get rid of the negative karma is killing a lot of monsters. Like, a lot.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:24:00 pm by macros74 »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 10:13:40 am »
Sounds much like Lineage was like, and I liked that, I was standing something like 52 meters away from a guard, and AFKd, people would come and PK me, and they got red and killed by the guard XD.

Back then being Bait was fun XD

Nothing beats Ragnarok Online PVP, that shit was more crazy than anything I ever seen, before Assassins got nerfed. So on my server it was never nerfed :P
BAT SHIT CRAZY PVP !
And it was balanced too, way to go old games :)

Offline marinosgr

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »
Ah yes yes witch not sorceress, I mistook one for the other. I was talking about the one with big range and sustain.

The PK system doesn't really sound very enjoyable. In MMO's I like to be able to farm without hindrance but I guess I can manage with it.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:27 am »
Oh one more thing... After you get to 30 you can play on the Olvia server which is a catch up server with +200% exp. You can only play there for your first 30 days. I didn't even know about it until after my first 30 days, unfortunately.

Online Al_Sleeper

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 10:50:58 pm »
I have nothing against the Baltics, problem is that I'm locked in the Russian server and my Russian is at about the level of a elementary aged kid.

:)

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 01:15:54 pm »
If that wasn't sarcasm, I would join the server just for that. :P

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline blackhole

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 01:52:17 pm »
It's true though, even in HotS you can learn Russian, cuz there's so many of them in pretty much every online game.

Online Al_Sleeper

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »
I doubt more than Chinese :).