Author Topic: Destiny - Bungie's new saga  (Read 19638 times)

Offline Logiick

• -sama
Re: Destiny - Bungie's new saga
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2015, 12:36:32 am »
I got this game for 8 dollars brand new. Now I'm level 16, haven't spent much of the currency since this game feels like an end-game like WoW. Anyone else still currently plays this game?
It's not even as good as WoW. EVERYONE has the same gear, and RNG is such a piece of shit.
At least on WoW there's a good bit of different gear, there's mounts, transmog, other faction items, etc.
On Destiny, it's literally hit 34, get all weapons to 365 and then be bored.

I still play daily, but that's because I have a lot of friends that play it. HoW was really good for like 3 weeks, but by now everyone has already gotten pretty much everything, so it's stale again. Good thing Taken King isn't far off. But it better damn fucking well be worth $40.

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 01:03:16 am »
The thing that's bothering me now is that so much content is locked behind getting together with people. I understand raids and trials, but at least let me do PoE 32 and 34 with matchmaking. I enjoy playing with my friends, but I also just want to get stuff done without having to plan for it. Hopefully, when TTK is out and everyone are level 36.

Destiny was the first game ever I've talked to people online, and I'm kind of proud of myself for putting myself out there, it's been a great / mixed experience talking to different kinds of people. But I am still a "love playing by myself" kind of gamer.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 01:49:50 am »
Depending on the boss, I'm not confident a matchmade team can do 32, and I sure as hell don't trust it with 34. The rounds with burn will kill most matchmade groups.

I do agree that we should have at least the choice. I mean, it's entirely possible to do. Bungie just doesn't like giving players choices.
Also, after some wipes on Hive w/ Arc Burn a lot of people will just end up leaving. The other thing is mics. I'm not seeing people beat 34 without mics.

But who knows.

And no one is really sure what level we'll be at TKK. Beta right now is showing 50, but that's pretty much confirmed it's just a placeholder. It won't just be 36 though. That would mean there's not enough content to warrant it being $40, and if it's as fast to hit level cap as it was 32 and then 34, people are going to be pissed.

e: I agree with 'play by myself' gaming. I like to be able to just do it myself when I can't find others to do it with, and nothing in this game is particularly hard. I understand the need to make an MMO a 'group' game, but at least give the option.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:52:10 am by Logiick »

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 06:08:33 am »
Now that I've gotten all the particular weapons I wanted (besides HawkAwesome), I've been focusing more on bringing some weapons I never bothered using before into PvP.
For the most part it feels really fresh, and fun as long as my matchmade team isn't utter crap. Not sure about No Land Beyond, however...

Also, Lightswitch is way worse than Arc Burn.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 10:16:22 am »
You think?

I never seem to have much of a problem with Lightswitch. But if it's Cabal/Hive with Arc Burn. Ugh.

Knights cannons, Wizards blasts, AND Thrall's melee are all arc.

The reason Cabal is a bitch is because when it's Arc Burn they make more yellow Psions spawn, and their tele-wave bullshit fucking travels up ramps and seems to have a ridiculous range. At 35 it one shots and it's ridiculous. On 34, if you've got any damage on you, you're probably going to die from it.
But then it comes down, really, to what extra bullshit you have to do when Arc Burn is on. If it's dismantle, it's a bitch.
The other two aren't so bad. Shoot from afar and tracking rockets.

But when you have to stand in a set amount of space. Blech.

edit: Finally got Gjallarhorn. Just dropped for me in Crucible. Now I need to go buy like 10 lottery tickets.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:48:17 am by Logiick »

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2015, 06:52:21 am »
At least Arc Burn goes both ways. If anything, Lightswitch+Arc Burn is real a bitch to deal with.

Congrats on the Ballerhorn btw. I haven't gotten any exotic weapons out of Crucible for several months now. Even after all the new HoW legendaries (except Ash Factory, though I have no concerns for new rocket launchers).

So after 50 ranks with New Monarchy and getting nothing useful since HoW, I defected to Dead Orbit and obtained the Revenant 15 ranks in :D. Plus God of War at Cryptarch rank 91 for that Red Ranger look.
And after some efficient weapon part farming over the last few days I reforged my Dry Rot 32 precisely how I wanted it, on the first go <.<...

Whelp, this week has been particularly lucky, with reforging (tried my hand on rerolling Hopscotch Pilgrim again and obtained my goal in one take), an Elder Cipher from PoE 34 along with a perfect Dreamwaker right from a drop (I still feel like a fool for dismantling my Radgast's Fury II), and the HawkAwesome after killing Atheon after a month of not running VoG.
Now that I have it, basically it's everything you would expect, but also the handling is incredibly smooth and the accuracy at a distance is topnotch.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:13:54 am by megido-rev.M »

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2015, 06:35:05 am »
It seems the subreddit has officially lost its marbles.

Happy Gjallarhorn Day!

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2015, 07:14:05 am »
As someone who's never used Reddit, huh?

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2015, 07:16:57 am »
Visit /r/DestinyTheGame and you'll see what's up.

Also note that the official Bungie.net forums for the most part should be avoided like the plague.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »
I've avoided Destiny since it hosed me out of 80 USD.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 05:33:17 am »
That's a shame.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2015, 06:17:31 am »
OK, so a little backstory.  When Destiny came out I didn't have the money to just out and buy it.  Luckily Redbox had a copy for the SB! so I rented it for almost three dollars a night.  I get to the point right before you go into the black garden.  I now owe 20 usd for the rentals and it's payday.  I figure, "Fuck it, I'll just buy a copy and finish it then."  only to find that the black garden IS the end.    So now I'm screwed out of 80 usd with repetitive strikes, on disk content locked behind dlc paywall, an RNG designed by satan himself and only a good multiplayer to prop it up.  So after a week or two, I sell my copy and move on.

Later on I see the dark below and house of wolves stuff come out and I'm still not tempted to go back.  However, I heard about everything going to be coming out with the Taken King and it seems like all my complaints about the game are being resolved.  The game will be 80 bucks for vanilla, TDB, HoW and Taken King all together.  So that's 40 for the game, two dlc packs and 40 for the new stuff.  They're ditching the light system, allowing chat in strikes and raids, getting larger vault spaces, etc.  I'm conflicted right now as to go back to see if this final version of Destiny is what I've been waiting for all this time, or if I'm just an abused spouse going back for more beatings.

On a separate note, for those of you who are still playing pvp let me ask you this.  The very first rifle that you pick up in the game after you are resurrected, is it just me or is that the best pvp weapon in the game?  After hearing about it from a friend, I tried it out and noticed that it worked better than most of the auto rifles you could get later in the game.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2015, 06:34:29 am »
There has been opt-in chatting in strikes for months now.

Anyway, it's no question that TDB was by far the worst DLC (though I did achieve flawless raider by soloing Crota), whereas HoW is definitely a large improvement albeit its end-game activity got stale way too quickly and we had to figure out what to do next ourselves.
The Taken King seems to be a massive overhaul, so hopefully all the largest and most frequent complaints are addressed (faction packages particularly, and hopefully those weird cases where RNG gives the exact same thing to you again whether it's an exotic drop like an 8th Dragon's Breath or a weapon reforge giving your best reroll the solar element for the hundredth time).

Khvostov 7G-02 is pretty strong for a common auto rifle, because its secondary stats like aim-assist, handling, and recoil are all up there with the best legendary/exoyic tier ones. The only problem these days are the fact that auto rifles generally suck until the next weapon balancing patch gets released.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:50:42 am by megido-rev.M »

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:24 am »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
If you didnt like it then I doubt you'll like it after The Taken King, it's still the same core mechanics, still the same game, just some new twists and different things to grind for to keep us entertained...

And yes, back when auto rifles were the best PVP weapon the starting one was decent, but of the 20 or so available autorifles (when they were good) I'd place it in the middle.  Ingame atm its a worthless POS, TTK will buff them, but not to their former glory, so it'll still be useless (I mean, Destiny's non exotic weapons are pretty fairly balanced, so even the worst gun is only gonna be ~10% less efficient than the best gun, so useless is still viable if you like it).

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2015, 10:19:56 am »
I actually think you might enjoy Taken King more.

There is a lot more content to the game right now:

You haven't played Dark Below or House of Wolves; means story missions and quests.
You might have exotic bounties you haven't done yet.
You haven't gotten elder ciphers yet from PoE.
You haven't done Crota yet.
You haven't gotten Necrocasm yet.
You haven't tried Trials yet.
You haven't tried Iron Banner yet.

Also, play with other people, it's a lot more fun that way. I only keep playing because I play with other people. Found a cool group and started our own clan. The game is so much easier and it's nice to get help from people but also being able to help them when they need it.

In Taken King we'll get:

A new sub-class for each class.
A more intelligent RNG system.
More bounties and quests.
Actual cutscenes and story telling.
New gear to chase.
New raid.
A better levelling system. You won't need to find armor with light to level up. A big improvement.*
Ghosts and class items will actually matter; XP and perks.

I can't know for certain that the RNG system will be as good as they're saying. But I am hopeful. Definitely keep your peeled for reviews when TTK is out.

I've personally done almost all I can in Destiny:

Still chasing elder ciphers; missing two.
Still doing Pocket Infinity; just need to kill in nightfall with a fusion rifle.
Still chasing Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo.
Haven't done Skolas but I can never seem to get a group together when there is no lightswitch. He's a pain the ass anyway, but a elder ciphers is almost guaranteed when you beat him.

Otherwise I've pretty much done everything in the game. Just waiting for new content. :)

*I remember starting a Warlock and Hunter and being tuck on level 26 just because I couldn't buy legendary stuff from Vanguard and had to farm rep to rank 2 so I could buy stuff with 36 light in them. And then level enough to do Prison of Elders level 32 for a piece of amor with 42 light in them. Happy that nightmare is over. Now everything you do gives you XP, keep playing the game and you'll level up.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:24:47 am by Takeshi »

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2015, 04:58:21 pm »
The one thing that I know I'll never do in Destiny is raiding.  There's no matchmaking for raiding that I know of right now and I don't know enough people who either have an xb1 or destiny or both to get into a raid.  So no Crota, no VoG, etc. 

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »
If there was matchmaking in raids you'd be spending hours in it trying to complete it. Maybe someone doesn't have a mic. Maybe someone doesn't have a Ice Breaker. Most of the time there is no coordination until things go wrong which makes the time you're raiding even longer. MAYBE there are times when matchmaking would work. But then there are other times when it'd match four people who haven't done it before and two who have. It's a lot easier bringing one person into the raid when at least five or maybe four people know what they're doing.

I often try and help other groups other than my regular peeps and it's a nightmare.

I have a regular raid group and we can usually finish a raid. in one hour. Crota is less.

Find a clan on bungie.net to join and try the raid with people. It's a lot of fun when things are working. :D I'd invite you to my clan, but it's only for PS4 people.

TL;DR: you're missing out on the most fun content of Destiny. No wonder you feel like the game doesn't have enough content.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:41:47 pm by Takeshi »

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2015, 07:49:22 pm »
Takeshi, I tried bungie.net during vanilla days and never could find a good group.  Someone would always bail right as we got the front door open or half of those who said they would show up actually did.  It got really old really fast so I said to hell with it.  I've watched let's plays of it and it looks like great fun, it's just I can never get a group together to actually do it.

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2015, 09:34:05 pm »
Takeshi, I tried bungie.net during vanilla days and never could find a good group.  Someone would always bail right as we got the front door open or half of those who said they would show up actually did.  It got really old really fast so I said to hell with it.  I've watched let's plays of it and it looks like great fun, it's just I can never get a group together to actually do it.
...then make some friends like the rest of us did, do some strikes, if a dude is good add him, rinse, repeat.  Although chances are the dude you added already has friends and one day they wont have 6 so you get an invite, bam, raid group (<-is how I ended up in all my raid groups)

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2015, 11:41:47 pm »
Maybe I've been spoiled in how easy it was for me to find people. Joined a clan and found a few people to play regularly with. The group grew bigger and we started raiding. Lately we have branched off that initial clan into another clan, and usually have a big party chat whenever people are online to help each other out with really anything. Wish I could invite you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fireteams/comments/39lrs0/xb1_are_you_old_do_you_want_to_raidpoepvp_and/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fireteams/comments/32pjpb/xb1_mature_clan_30_yo_old_men_that_want_to_kick/

Try these?