Author Topic: Promising Technologies in Development | whats coming into the market  (Read 25764 times)

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
its meant to be a more broad version of the 2013 instead of being strictly PC parts and 2013.

----------------------------------------------------

an interesting development of Lithium battery.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153614-new-lithium-ion-battery-design-thats-2000-times-more-powerful-recharges-1000-times-faster
if i've understood it correctly, they've achieved a far higher power output while maintaining a high specific capacity, which means it'll have a vastly higher mWh.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:39:40 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama
Re: Promising Technologies in Development
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:44:38 pm »
There's already a more promising battery technology using graphene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiTIzkF4cw

One thing I'm really looking forward to is synthetic diamond wafers for our technology because it'll enable quantum computing. We can already do it, the diamond industry is just making it impossible for them to do anything because they want to artificially inflate diamond prices.

There's all sorts of human longevity stuff as well, or just genetic research in general.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:54:54 pm »
There's already a more promising battery technology using graphene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiTIzkF4cw

One thing I'm really looking forward to is synthetic diamond wafers for our technology because it'll enable quantum computing. We can already do it, the diamond industry is just making it impossible for them to do anything because they want to artificially inflate diamond prices.

There's all sorts of human longevity stuff as well, or just genetic research in general.
yeah i've seen that too, though its a bit far from completion, machinery to mass-produce such substrate is non-existent at the moment, development is on a crawl, too. i'd expect it to be a potential product around 2015.
this though one is much nearer to completion, the materials and procedures are already available and viable, all thats left is for manufacturers to adopt it.

that would be good, although manufacturing it and the premium for it would be insane, just getting a synthetic 0.1carat diamond takes you no less than 100$(though they only need microscopic sizes). unless they find a way to reliably mass produce a low-cost alternative it'll have an insane upfront price.

i'm not much too interested in prolonging my life, when i'm already this bored of my life, lol.

---------------------------------

the problems at the moment is adopting the procedure to mass produce them, and developing the equipment for mass producing them, most manufacturers do get scared of the high investment costs and you need bigshots like sony(yeah they're already adopting graphene) to take the lead for others to follow.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »
I don't think it's anywhere even remotely that expensive. Where did you even pull that figure from?

When I say wafer, I mean like circuit boards. So... not microscopic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:37:09 pm by Tiffanys »

Online kitamesume

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:01:24 pm »
I don't think it's anywhere even remotely that expensive. Where did you even pull that figure from?

When I say wafer, I mean like circuit boards. So... not microscopic.
jewelry prices, though as i've said they only needed microscopic sizes so it may as well be 1$ each, though still mass producing is a problem.

ehh, we're talking about nanometer right? because chips and giggles are around 400nm wafers.

-----------------------

enough with the negatives, post more interesting stuffs :O
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:04:03 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1038/424500a

6-12 inch wafers actually.

I posted some cool cyborb stuff awhile back.

I think glowing plants seem kinda cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMDiRKootnI

Offline flyawave

• Soaring White Loveliness
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »
Oculus Rift anyone? I'm pretty excited that people are giving VR another shot
There must a be a reason for tanking things. And all must be in certain balance.
But what that balance is, must depend only on you, nobody else.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »

That does look pretty cool.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 05:22:50 pm »
you mean the ultra-wide screen head-mount display? o.o yeah i can imagine it though gotta be heavy on your head, no choice but to lay down i suppose.

edit: speaking of which, does it still has that 3D format constraint? i mean if they source through DP they should be able to get flawless 120Hz full HD feed to split 60Hz on each eye.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:27:38 pm by kitamesume »

Offline flyawave

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:26:47 pm »
I believe they use DVI, but dual link DVI has enough bandwidth for 120hz 1920*1200

But that's irrelevant anyway, because they use one screen and just block half of the screen to one eye and vice versa. Ie you get effectively half the horizontal resolution per eye but the same refresh rate so you feel like you have the same smoothness, with this huge increase in vertical FOV among other interesting effects (motion sickness). Here's one of the best videos of it I've found. They mention that it is a bit heavy and the current display is has far too small a horizontal resolution to split comfortably, but that's just the dev kit. Consumer models should improve *fingers crossed*
There must a be a reason for tanking things. And all must be in certain balance.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 09:28:33 pm »
wasn't there a flying car few days ago? that shit flies in the air and can land and drive on the ground. I'm pretty sure it has certain limitations ... don't think you can just "fly" like that and "drive" like that. the car itself looks like shit anyways.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline flyawave

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 09:32:59 pm »
It's 2013, I was supposed to have a flying car over a decade ago :P

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
The only flying cars I know of are actually just a small airplane with folding wings and a helicopter with folding propellers that looks a lot like a dune buggy. It's not exactly coming along very well.

I think we'll need some sort of anti-gravity engine or something before we can get feasible ones. Like, anti-gravity and using the earth's magnetic field or something.

Offline Calavera

• It is what it is.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 05:22:32 am »
I'm pretty excited about the prospect of a three dimensional storage medium. They are working on a new technology that I believe is called holographic storage. In essence, they are working with multiple laser beams to excite a certain point in three dimensional space to read the data. I find it to be a very exciting medium, and it might even revive the optical media business. This has the potential to be able to storage terabytes of data on a disk no bigger than a regular DVD. I wouldn't expect this technology to be introduced until closer to the new decade however.

Another one is quantum computers. If you aren't familiar with how a regular computer processes information, all that you essentially need to know is that a processor can either be in two states, i.e. on or off. These on/off sequences are then interpreted as either a 1 or a 0, respectively. The twist with quantum computers, from my understanding of it, is that the processor is able to transmit information in three states of on/off, with the additional bonus of being both on AND off at the same time. That's quantum mechanics for you.

A lesser seen product that was shown at last year's CES event that I found to be really cool was the bendable display. There's a video on YouTube that shows that technology being used in a concept phone. You would never have to worry about breaking your screen again. You can literally bend this screen over on itself and it's thinner than paper.

Not so much computer related, but I can't wait for the technology that made Miku's "live performance" in Japan to be readily available in homes.

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:32 am »
Actually, the thing with quantum computing is that a "qbit" can take as many states as you want it to be able to take, although what that state is when you read it is iffy. You can think of a quantum processor as a really good probabilistic vector processor.

[edit] By that I mean an MIMD processor that sometimes gives the "right" answer. But yeah, you are literally manipulating a the "vector" of a of something and then reading it in a way that isn't always repeatable.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:46:20 am by nstgc »

Online kitamesume

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:01 am »
Actually, the thing with quantum computing is that a "qbit" can take as many states as you want it to be able to take, although what that state is when you read it is iffy. You can think of a quantum processor as a really good probabilistic vector processor.

[edit] By that I mean an MIMD processor that sometimes gives the "right" answer. But yeah, you are literally manipulating a the "vector" of a of something and then reading it in a way that isn't always repeatable.
its more like a perfect RNG.

Offline nstgc

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »
If by "RNG" you mean a random number generator, no. For near perfect random number generators, you want to observe some chaotic system usually.

Online kitamesume

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
the question on that is, how perfect is a perfect random.
because as much as a perfect random can occur, theres still that likeliness that some things take a pattern.
so long as math is in the equation, infinitesimal chance of a pattern isn't likely possible.

--------------------------------

mindcontrol! http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57564142-1/brains-on-with-muse-interaxons-mind-control-headset/

willow glass - a bendable glass http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34447_1-57563367/hands-on-with-cornings-bendable-willow-glass-exclusive/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:29:53 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47:14 am »

Online kitamesume

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/innodisk-unveils-embedded-sata-nanossd/
waw, uSSD... how much would they retail though.

speaking of SSDs, i wonder when will they revamp the SATA ports to supply power as well, it'll eliminate cable clutter at the cost of a slightly fatter SATA cable, well theres also another advantage of stick-like SSDs to be directly plugged into the SATA slots.
eSATAp is already in development, too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:14:26 pm by kitamesume »