Author Topic: Promising Technologies in Development | whats coming into the market  (Read 25840 times)

Offline flyawave

• Soaring White Loveliness
Re: Promising Technologies in Development
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10:04 pm »
>Called nanossd
>Abbreviated with the greek letter mu, designating micro in every application ever
>This should not annoy me anywhere near as much as it does.
There must a be a reason for tanking things. And all must be in certain balance.
But what that balance is, must depend only on you, nobody else.

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »
>Called nanossd
>Abbreviated with the greek letter mu, designating micro in every application ever
well, they did use uSSD tag.
The µSSD-based SATA chip has a tiny footprint (0.63 x 0.79 inches) and draws just 1W of peak power, but can still read at up to 480MB/s and write at 175MB/s.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/3m-nanosys-ready-to-bring-quantum-dot-film-to-lcd-makers/
dang, does this also apply to IPS monitors?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:38:27 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Tiffanys

• real female girl ojō-sama

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
Re: Promising Technologies in Development | whats coming into the market
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 04:16:02 am »
Anyone else seen the MYO? Looks pretty promising if the trailer uses real footage of a working prototype. Accurate gesture control that does not rely on cameras (Kinect) or fixed sensors (LeapMotion) could take VR development to whole new levels. This would allow gestures to be captured even if a user is not facing in the right direction for a camera/does not have their hands in the right position, which could be difficult since you can't actually see outside with the Rift on!

I've preordered and applied for the developer programme. Hope I get in on this; would be a nice addition to my masters project imo.

Offline gits

• Staff
  • What evidence?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 09:21:01 am »
Anyone else seen the MYO? Looks pretty promising if the trailer uses real footage of a working prototype. Accurate gesture control that does not rely on cameras (Kinect) or fixed sensors (LeapMotion) could take VR development to whole new levels. This would allow gestures to be captured even if a user is not facing in the right direction for a camera/does not have their hands in the right position, which could be difficult since you can't actually see outside with the Rift on!

I've preordered and applied for the developer programme. Hope I get in on this; would be a nice addition to my masters project imo.
I don't think its gonna work on obese people... although it would be great motivation for them to work out.
[18:20:14] <+kurandoinu> How surprising. A conversation with gits turned to physics. That never ever happens.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:42 am »

Nice. And do keep us updated with the development when you get one.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 03:33:39 am »
Oculus Rift anyone? I'm pretty excited that people are giving VR another shot
you mean the ultra-wide screen head-mount display? o.o yeah i can imagine it though gotta be heavy on your head, no choice but to lay down i suppose.

I got to briefly play around with the company one before the writers tore it apart, and the weight wasn't really an issue for me.  Granted, I only played for some 5-10 minutes, so perhaps it'd start to fatigue after longer.

Everyone else was much more excited about it than I was - they said things like "I can never play TF2 without this again", whereas I had a hard time using it as intended.  That is, I moved my cursor with my head to keep my reticule in the center; something about my brain rebelled against having them independent.  It didn't seem based on FPS experience, because I'm a relatively light gamer and both the people who spend upwards of 30 hours a week in FPSs and those with very little gaming experience caught on to it in a short amount of time.

Edit: The unmodified TF2 UI is unusable, though; you can't read any text, so someone else has to click on the buttons for you.  And we all stayed using the heavy because the guy who had played with it some more said faster characters tended to give people headaches and nausea.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:38:22 am by Xiong Chiamiov »
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 07:30:44 am »
Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni

Give it a decade and the hardcore gamer is going to have the build of an athlete.

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 07:39:07 am »
Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni + Myo sounds like a pretty fun gaming experience to me. You could have to actually learn the movements for a spell or an attack and use them to cast the spell or to use the attack. That'd be awesome. I'm not sure how they'd do jumping and horse riding though.

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58:51 am »
Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni

Give it a decade and the hardcore gamer is going to have the build of an athlete.
That got mentioned here too. It's too damn expensive ;_;

Offline Tiffanys

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 09:49:21 am »
I heard something like $200-300 on the videos on their site I think? It didn't sound too bad to me.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 09:55:29 am »
under $400 sounds reasonable, unless its fragile like Razer products.

Offline Southrop

• Former Staff
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »
Kickstarter prices:
$349 early bird price
$399 next tier early price
$429 regular price

And then add $100 to $700 in shipping depending on where you live.

Future retail price will be "significantly higher than the Kickstarter rewards". Likely in the $499 to $599 range.

Bear in mind you also need to buy an Oculus Rift for another $300+shipping
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:42:30 pm by Southrop »

Offline Xiong Chiamiov

• I'm gonna tolerate and love the SHIT out of you!
    • changedmy.name
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 10:45:34 pm »
Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni + Myo sounds like a pretty fun gaming experience to me. You could have to actually learn the movements for a spell or an attack and use them to cast the spell or to use the attack. That'd be awesome.

Sure, just like the Wii got us to get off the couch and wave our arms around instead of just flicking our wrists.  Laziness wins over authenticity.
Projects of interest: nagi | sheska | bdg
Posts made between 2009-05-09 and 2011-08-26 were in the capacity of staff.  Please read accordingly.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:57 pm »
Kickstarter prices:
$349 early bird price
$429 regular price

Future retail price will be "significantly higher than the Kickstarter rewards". Likely in the $499 to $599 range.

what i had in mind was <$400 for all of them... thats not reasonable it at all.

Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni + Myo sounds like a pretty fun gaming experience to me. You could have to actually learn the movements for a spell or an attack and use them to cast the spell or to use the attack. That'd be awesome.

Sure, just like the Wii got us to get off the couch and wave our arms around instead of just flicking our wrists.  Laziness wins over authenticity.
well hey, at least moms won't be so against kids playing all-day long.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:29:57 pm by kitamesume »

Offline kureshii

• Former Staff
  • May typeset edited light novels if asked nicely.
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 10:59:32 am »

Or gaming sessions will just get shorter, and may get scheduled like exercise. 30 minutes of heart-pumping action, thrice a week!

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 11:11:31 am »

Or gaming sessions will just get shorter, and may get scheduled like exercise. 30 minutes of heart-pumping action, thrice a week!
actually gyms would get obsolete, screw gyms. treadmill like a boss, in a game no less.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »
Kickstarter prices:
$349 early bird price
$429 regular price

what i had in mind was <$400 for all of them... thats not reasonable it at all.

Haha, dream on. Or buy an omni made out of paper mache.

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 03:19:58 pm »
>Called nanossd
well, they did use uSSD tag.
The µSSD-based SATA chip has a tiny footprint (0.63 x 0.79 inches) and draws just 1W of peak power, but can still read at up to 480MB/s and write at 175MB/s.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/3m-nanosys-ready-to-bring-quantum-dot-film-to-lcd-makers/
dang, does this also apply to IPS monitors?
who cares give it 3 years tocover rnd and we will have more pretty tvs and monitors at affordable prices again