Author Topic: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | The Irregular at Magic High School [Series]  (Read 15509 times)

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | The Irregular at Magic High School
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 08:56:41 pm »
I like it well enough, I suppose, but the telegraphing/foreshadowing is wa-a-ay too blatant.  I mean, he's supposed to have "no practical magic skills", but
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
  I haven't read the LN's so no possible spoilers, but I'm betting that he's really already a "super-mage", who:
- Wants to learn the technical/engineering side of magical technology, without distractions, and/or
- Is dismayed by discrimination vs. those with "lesser" magic, and/or
- Has some idea of the coming conflict, and is hiding his power(s) for that reason.

I'm reasonably sure I'm damn close to the truth.  If not, great, and I'll probably watch the rest of the series either way, but *thpbphthp* if I'm right :P .

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:58:55 pm »
I like it well enough, I suppose, but the telegraphing/foreshadowing is wa-a-ay too blatant.  I mean, he's supposed to have "no practical magic skills", but
  I haven't read the LN's so no possible spoilers, but I'm betting that he's really already a "super-mage", who:
- Wants to learn the technical/engineering side of magical technology, without distractions, and/or
- Has some idea of the coming conflict, and is hiding his power(s) for that reason.

I'm reasonably sure I'm damn close to the truth.  If not, great, and I'll probably watch the rest of the series either way, but *thpbphthp* if I'm right :P .

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 05:55:24 am »
Hopefully this will wash away whatever I still remember from that other Mahou anime.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 06:21:19 am »
Hopefully this will wash away whatever I still remember from that other Mahou anime.
ahaha, i heard that...

Offline mianghuei

• Subara Subs
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 03:19:14 am »
I started watching and was like, the imouto sounded so familliar. It was not until she said "onii-sama" that I realized that it was Saori Hayami (Ayase Aragaki).

This show is badass, and so is the OP by LiSa!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 04:17:05 am »
I started watching and was like, the imouto sounded so familliar. It was not until she said "onii-sama" that I realized that it was Saori Hayami (Ayase Aragaki).

I think it's pretty fitting too. :D

Offline mianghuei

• Subara Subs
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
Anything that has had LiSA doing an OP/ED has been good, so I have high hopes for this.

1 miss, Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou wasn't particularly good. The rest... SAO, Angel Beats, Fate/Zero, yes.

Offline xShadow

• No
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

I'm going to keep this relatively spoiler-free-ish

This was well described in the novel, but they left out the details in the anime and changed up the way some characters said things. Which is fine. Like I said the novel goes into WAY TOO MUCH SHIT that it has no need to. Like seriously. It looks like the MC cockrubbing is still there, but at least they're keeping it down a little. However I don't like how the pacing is a bit (not much, not yet anyway)... weird. Sometimes they seem to fly over scenes, sometimes they spend too long on them. I do hope they'll have enough time to actually get in a lot of the novel contents in a reasonably good manner. I mean it's not like this thing was ever exceptional anyway. Just maybe a step or two above mediocre. It's okay, probably going to be a decent watch.

Cute, huh?

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 04:55:29 am »
HF blade out of a bamboo sword? I call hacks.

Offline jaybug

• Go Ducks!
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 02:12:14 am »
Having a hard time getting past the techno-babble. Shows like this make me only imagine what sophomores (wise fools) are like in Japan. Seems you take any crazy idea and run to the furthest extreme, and then make a manga or anime out of it. I think in America that is beaten out of US/ That or just not supported by club activities, as there are no clubs here. Except Boy Scouts, and 4H. And those don't have much to do with schools if at all.

Maybe it won't be so bad later, if/when I figure out the techno-speak, or something when it comes to battle.

Timing is everything in comedy!

Offline xShadow

• No
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 02:51:30 am »
I think it may have SLIGHTLY toned down the techno babble in the later novels but it's like... Like I mentioned in my first post in this topic, it's still rubbing the MC's genitals at every turn. Like I mean it sits there for ages having the narrator explain what he did, and then having other characters ask him just how he did what he did. Hell you've already seen that shit. And that's actually toned down from what it was. If you think this is bad, don't touch the novel. >_>

When I discussed with one of my steam friends he pulled up the Mary Sue thing on TVtropes. Might not be too far off, aside from the flaws that he decided to give him. You'll find out about those later though.

Cute, huh?

Offline Violin

• Kuudere, English learner, philosophy student.
    • Python Software Foundation
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 06:52:11 am »
Course 2 students are OP!
My mother is an extrovert tsundere. My father is an introvert kuudere. In the end, I turn out to be an extrovert kuudere. This is how genetic recombination works, right?

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 08:59:00 am »
In the beginning it made it seem like C2 students had absolutely no combat ability whatsoever, but now all of a sudden they can all fight. A little bit of a deus ex machina there.

Offline Killjoy

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 12:18:54 am »
In the beginning it made it seem like C2 students had absolutely no combat ability whatsoever, but now all of a sudden they can all fight. A little bit of a deus ex machina there.
Only really the ones who flocked around the MC. Can't say much for the average one if one of them is a kendo champion, the other one comes from a clan of ninjas or something and etc

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 12:28:08 am »
this show is about deus ex machina...and about c2 better fighter than c1, of course it is...as c1 is specialize in magic field, so to make up with c1, c2 have to excel in physical fight (conclusion is from the mc's friends)

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 04:25:38 am »
Being in Second Division only really implied having lower magic capability, but not so on everything else.

Offline Grimpak

• I live in RAGE town and I commute in my RAGE train
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 11:39:33 am »
Being in Second Division only really implied having lower magic capability, but not so on everything else.
yeah, but in the end people went "hollier than thou" with all that.

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »
erika best girl~ and she's fast *nosebleed

Offline isukianime

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 10:29:19 am »
It's finally going to start getting interesting. The first two LNs weren't that exiting.

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 12:17:16 pm »
The first two LNs weren't that exiting.
which one? btw, the 9school competition is better than i expected, tbh...i, with my low imagination skill, was able to "see" what happen during that event

i was wondering at what point this anime will end since its 26 episode and we got to see Ichijou Masaki in the OP
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:19:25 pm by Clannad_92 »