Author Topic: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | The Irregular at Magic High School [Series]  (Read 15507 times)

Offline Violin

• Kuudere, English learner, philosophy student.
    • Python Software Foundation
Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | The Irregular at Magic High School
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 09:29:16 pm »
So is this actually Oreimo Season 3?
My mother is an extrovert tsundere. My father is an introvert kuudere. In the end, I turn out to be an extrovert kuudere. This is how genetic recombination works, right?

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 10:25:24 pm »

With mahou and a non-bitchy kawaii imouto

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 03:21:34 am »

With mahou and a non-bitchy kawaii imouto

And a competent MC.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Violin

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:09 am »
This is annoying. Every time Miyuki talks, her face slowly morphs into Ayase... She doesn't change her voice for different characters at all!
My mother is an extrovert tsundere. My father is an introvert kuudere. In the end, I turn out to be an extrovert kuudere. This is how genetic recombination works, right?

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:09 am »
^ i didnt even read your comment because of this;

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 01:26:35 am »
Accel World, Episode 6, 17:20, look at the top of the billboard and you will see the main two characters of The Irregular at Magic High School - Shiba Miyuki and Shiba Tatsuya - featured in print. There are some Japanese writing on there along with the year "2017". Same episode, 19:20 and the billboard gets bigger behind the glass. Wut za fuk.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:30:08 am by Tatsujin »

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 04:53:14 am »
Accel World, Episode 6, 17:20, look at the top of the billboard and you will see the main two characters of The Irregular at Magic High School - Shiba Miyuki and Shiba Tatsuya - featured in print. There are some Japanese writing on there along with the year "2017". Same episode, 19:20 and the billboard gets bigger behind the glass. Wut za fuk.

It's true!

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 11:56:23 am »
So, I'm going through my pile of animu since I can't sleep anyways and god hates a coward.

I was surprised how awful this is after watching 6 episodes. Most of the points have been expressed already but I was really hoping people were being somewhat over critical and maybe the anime would improve if I gave it the benefit of the doubt. It's such a dry and dull use of a magical post-post-apocalyptic school setting and almost all of it is due to the excessive nonsensical exposition and the unwillingness or sheer inability to show us what they mean rather than just telling us in long... long technical speeches. This is Star Trek Voyager levels of bullshit. That, and my eyes glaze over every time the protagonist is on screen. He's such a supercilious and stagnant character who is dully invincible and yet gets to act all broody and deep, I want to beat him over the head with a tire iron.

I could kind of accept the above if they made the supporting cast more... flamboyant? If the protagonist is the stale perfect one then everyone else can be colourfully flawed and engaging, they can have hijinx and such. I'm not the hugest fan of the A Certain Magical Index or A Certain Scientific Railgun, but regardless of the series' flaws at least the cast is vibrant and full of life. Here, they're so tame, so not the main character and thus unimportant. I still don't even understand Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere but at least some of the characters appealed to me, sort of. In Mahouka, they could appeal to me, but the writing simply doesn't care about them beyond their immediate purpose in the narrative. They're insufficiently realistic - lacking compelling complexity or depth - but aren't over-the-top enough to find them viscerally entertaining otherwise like most comedic characters are.

Like say, the sister.. Miyuki, the incest shtick aside she's got this whole over-protective fawning younger sister thing going on and that has the possibility of humour and conflict... but it's not really being used at all here. Stuff happens regarding him, she has some tepid reaction, and he calms her down. I could see it becoming a more substantial source of conflict later, should anyone actually ever threaten the protagonist at any point and she has to intervene or face life without the person she's completely dependant upon. The problem is that all her faith in him is entirely warranted and only she can be at fault for not believing sufficiently in his perfection... and that isn't interesting - that's a religion. Nor that he blithely accepts her mindless adoration as an emotionally distant dick of a god. It isn't perceived as a character fault on her part or something that they call out, and yet it's so alarming - not in the incest panic sense which could actually be interesting if it went anywhere - but that she has such little agency as a human being.

The action is pretty, at any rate.

Anyways, onward and upward to Coppelion.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:01:31 pm by Nikkoru »
Peace, Love, and Tranquility

Offline xShadow

• No
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »
I'm gonna make a few points:

- He's not acting broody and deep, really. The novels get into that later, but his personality is kind of misunderstood. Well granted I guess if he comes off like that it doesn't matter if there's a more interesting explanation for it, huh?
- You'll find out why Miyuki adores him so much later (well if they decide to cover it). It didn't always used to be that way.

That's about it. The MC's personality and Miyuki's adoration for him is a bit more complicated than this makes it seem at the beginning... but then again the creators obviously kind of use it to draw people in with the surface interpretations, so it might be a bit of a moot point. As for the other characters.... yeah the author doesn't go too far into them. He does flesh out some of their relationships a bit, but honestly everyone in this show is fairly stable. There are rarely any gigantic mood swings or people going lolbatshitcrazy.... which I mean let's face it, that's an overused tactic. In this if people do change, they do it kinda slowly (most of the time). Aside from that yeah, I agree. Especially with the exposition bit (which I've already stated).

I mean... okay let's face it. This anime is told in third person perspective, but it's practically all about Tatsuya. Occasionally I think the book went into other peoples' minds except his, but that's just to show how they perceive him.

Cute, huh?

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 11:43:18 am »
OK, so WTF?! WTF?! WTF?! Did those guys learn nothing from those damn world wars or what? They should know discrimination is not gonna end pretty. So why is it the main freaking from episode 1. Moreover what exactly is the theme of this anime? Is it forbidden incest love (in that case, these two are my fav incest couple so far). And if it's anything else, *sigh* I really don't know what to say.

Is it gonna pick up (or is there some reason for the stupid discrimination), otherwise I am already pretty pissed with this show. Cause the animation, music, character design, clothing design (yeah, those uniforms are freaking gorgeous) and everything about this anime except the plot is pretty damn good.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline BronBron06

• Rageball Loli
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2014, 02:28:47 am »

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 02:51:42 am »
^ Kawaii as fuck.

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2014, 05:08:45 am »
^Did you get to the competition arc yet? I found it more interesting than the orientation arc.

This show also has some pretty long arcs (still in second one--the competition arc)....

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:21 am »
I think the anime arcs are longer than manga because of how much detail they input into each episode. I like it for that, but at the same time it feels like each ep is 5 mins long.

Offline Violin

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »
I think the anime arcs are longer than manga because of how much detail they input into each episode. I like it for that, but at the same time it feels like each ep is 5 mins long.
This is not adapted from manga.

PS. All manga adaptations of light novels suck.

Offline megido-rev.M

Offline Grimpak

• I live in RAGE town and I commute in my RAGE train
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2014, 10:42:49 am »
so, there will be mechas now.

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2014, 02:31:47 pm »
and the legendary tatsuya will be unleashed

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 05:28:21 am »
It's as if Tatsuya prefers to hide his abilities even in character polls.
Speaking of which:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 05:53:00 am »
For some weird reason I always giggle when Miyuki shows her jealousy :D
I kinda hope they will get together somehow, but his obliviousness is badass.
Though I think he simply pretends that he is oblivious, if not, he is even more entertaining.