Author Topic: Plex and anime  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Tokke21

Plex and anime
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:57:03 pm »
Hi

don't know if I placed this thread right

Do any of your guys use plex to play your anime on the big screen? in that case, do you rename it in any way? and if so what prog do you use ? couse I get a bit irritated on the OP and specials that will be set thogheter with  one ore more episodes, I have used Hamatv to scan with BABS, but I was thinking I was to give TVDB a shoot, couse it separate them better (at least I think so) and thats why I must rename them

Thx

Offline Xycolian2332

• Veritas voluntas disperdet te
Re: Plex and anime
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:13:46 pm »
Lol this made me go "wtf" I thought you were talking about EVE online plex...

Offline Gnabgib

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »
I've used it a little bit, mostly to transcode/stream to my tablet.  It does a passable job, misses some things like playing the OP/ED when they are separate files.  I figure its a tradeoff for being lazy and not transcoding things myself or looking for other releases that are mobile friendly.

I never got it to detect anime in a useful fashion, particularly specials/op/ed/etc.  It would confuse live action and anime at times, like with Ouran HS Host Club.  I tried using their suggested naming systems and never got great results there either.  I finally gave up and told it my anime was a collection of home movies (so it wouldn't try to parse them in any fashion) and then sorted by folder.  It seemed more sane than renaming thousands of files and/or redirecting the program (per episode) to the proper episode/movie/etc when it still got them wrong.  You don't get their backgrounds/episode info/etc this way but its a lot less hassle.

Offline Grimpak

• I live in RAGE town and I commute in my RAGE train
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »
Lol this made me go "wtf" I thought you were talking about EVE online plex...
you too eh? ???

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:17 am »
I never rename them, but I do put them in folders.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:50 pm »
On Android, if you use MX Player, or even better, BSPlayer, there's no real need to transcode most files, even 1080p 10-bit, with most relatively recent tablets.  Of course, the files ARE larger, and that may be an issue for you, but if the only issue is playback... *shrug*.  You can always delete files after you've watched them.

Offline Vaneska

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:10:53 pm »
For Animes, i would go with XBMC and the AniDB Mod. Everything is explained in the AniDB Mod 1. Post, how to rename them etc. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Offline shuvit

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »
In case anyone is still looking for a Plex plugin, there is a front end to the Japanese Media Manager (was MyAnime for Media Portal) now.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/91096-jmm-plex-plugin-09-anime-fans-uproar/

Offline Counterfit

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 02:51:33 am »
That looks great, except for the server being Windows-only. I haven't had too many issues using TVDB for series. The only problems really have been absolute ordering, and when they insisted on Fate/Zero being a season of the first Fate/stay night series.

Offline jhereg

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 05:23:40 pm »
I use Plex on big screen and phone, It'll play everything including 10bit x265. You should not have to rename anything. If it messes up identification you can correct it easy enough. If you do rename you can use 01x01, s01e01, 101, it is all the same. A good program to do mass renaming is Renamer by den4b.

Plex server is available for Windows and Linux. The player is available for windows, android, iphone, and Linux (unofficial).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:27:01 pm by jhereg »

Offline Counterfit

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 02:30:16 am »
The only naming issues I've had really are some S2 issues with recent series. Adding S02E in front of the episode number fixes it every time.