I accomplished a key milestone today on a project I've been coding for about a month now.
We currently produce a report once a year for each of our 2000+ clients that provides 36 charts and some key data points describing their fraud activity for the year. The process we use to produce the reports is clunky, and involves running a bunch of queries in Microsoft Access, then going into a .NET application and clicking another few buttons to produce an Excel document with all of the data, and a Word document with the summary and pictures of the charts. My assignment was to revamp the entire process.
I've recoded the entire thing in Access and VBA, built a new interface to control how and when reports are generated, rewrote all of the queries, and wrote new code to create the Excel and Word documents all out of the same Access file. Right at 5pm today, I was able to run the full process to create a report for a Debit card client with all of the data elements and charts, with both of the Excel and Word documents fully populated. So I'm a happy camper.
Next steps -- I've got to add pieces to produce the report for Credit card clients (will be similar but not identical to Debit), and I've got to test out the steps for producing multiple reports at a time. The first part of the process pulls data from a bunch of different sources and manipulates it into the form that I need it to be in, so I'll have to test out sizing the data, and I'll have to create one or more separate repositories for the data to make sure I don't run out of space or timeout if we try to run like 20 or 30 client reports at a time.
But the key functionality is in place, and complete about 2 weeks ahead of schedule.