Author Topic: Mobile Suit Gundam [BD]  (Read 2677 times)

Offline eternalmetal

Mobile Suit Gundam [BD]
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:11 am »
New rips of the original MS Gundam have recently been showing up, and im here to compare the two groups that are/have worked on this.  The quality of the BD is a really good film transfer and looks much better than the current Zeonic-Corps version already on BBT.  If you want comparisons I will provide them, but atm I feel that the difference is so significant that there really is no need.

Encodergasm has finished their version in 10-bit 720p with dual audio AAC.  Subtitles are from the R1 DVD.

OZC is still working on this (on ep 16 atm), which is a dual 8-bit 720p and 1080p release.  Same as EG, the subs are from the R1 DVDs and is dual audio AAC (though at a slightly lower bitrate). 

The differences between the two are actually pretty major.  OZC decided to heavily DNR the source, whereas EG tried to preserve as much of the grain on the BDs as possible by not degraining at all.  The result is probably very polarizing, and the main reason why I am creating this thread.  EG went with a creditless OP (happens to have Japanese credits, but is less offensive to the eyes) and a manual resync of the CD audio version of Tobe Gundam (which sounds much better).

In the comparison screenshots I provided EGs 720p encode and both the 720p and 1080p OZC encodes.  Upscaling to 1080p was done with AvsPmod via spline36. Here is the link: http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=6243

Here are some additional screenshots I took with a wider variety: http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=623

EG's version retains more detail while being more true to the source.  Looking at the first screenshot I linked, notice the area to the right of the explosion.  The black lines are visible in EGs release, whereas on OZC's they almost disappear entirely.  The 2nd screenshot demonstrates basically the same detail loss in dark scenes.  The 4th screenshot shows a good example of lost texture in the background (same with the 5th screenshot in the 2nd link).  The 6th screenshot has a lot of detail, but notice that EG's 720p has no loss in detail compared to OZC's 1080p and still retains more texture detail. 

Things arent all bad for OZC however.  The DNR may remove a lot of grain, but a lot of detail still remains and everything looks a bit sharper without ringing or aliasing.  The colors in uniforms, hair, and other non-textured areas are free of noise and look really smooth.  Refer to screenshot #17 in the second link.  Aside from some textures and really dark scenes, no detail is lost via filtering and the result looks really sharp and clean.  Another problem with the clean look of OZC's release is that the imperfections in the film transfer become more apparent upon playback.  You will notice the white specks and screen shakes much more.  You really need to view both versions on playback to see the difference.  Still, I think a lot of viewers would prefer the lack of grain in favor of the cleaner look.

It's a close call, but it all comes down to whether you prefer detail through grain, or a small sacrificing of some textures and dark scenes for an overall cleaner look.  My vote is for EG by quite a margin actually, since im not a fan of the flattening effect caused by OZC's DNR, and because I feel that the grain is very fitting for such an old show and should remain.

I know that OZC isnt finished with this project, but I think there is enough material available to compare the two releases, and the differences between the two are already apparent.  Preferably BBT could provide both of these encodes and allow the users to choose between the two encoding methods, but im pretty sure things dont operate this way here.  Though if Nazo no Kanojo X can get 2 720p DA slots, then the classic that is the original Gundam should too imo.  If OZC's 1080p version was better than the 720p, the 1080p could take the A slot, but unfortunately the BD isnt worth 1080p, and tbh I think OZC's 720p looks better anyways. 

I was going to offer EG's version up on BBT (since I think it deserves to be there), but I figured I would ask here first beforehand to see if there was any opposition.

Offline Zalis116

• Box Fansubs
    • ReDone-Subs Founder & Sole Member
Re: Mobile Suit Gundam [BD]
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:58 pm »
One thing that could tip the balance...

Did EnG do anything with the subs, like editing the text or post-processing the timing? I know OZC is more focused on the dub side of things, so they generally use DVD subs as-is.

Got any old fansubs on HDD/DVD/CD? Please take a look at this thread.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:36:49 am »
I just checked, and it looks like the times were edited in EG's (or at least are different timings than OZC).  I quickly opened both scripts for ep 2 in Aegisub, skipped past the OP since EG's was different, and looked at the first line of dialogue.  OZC's displays for exactly 5 seconds, whereas EG's displays for 5.15 seconds.  The next line, OZC's displays for 2.87 and EG's by 3.24.  I havent watched through too many of OZC's episodes, so I cant comment on the accuracy of their timing, but I can say that EG's timing seemed very good, and never did I have to pause because the text was poorly timed.  I have noticed the very occasional spelling error, and one of the episodes tended to uppercase a lot of 'I's between in the mIddle of words, so it looks like the script probably wasnt edited aside from timing.

As for the subtitle styling, EG's OP/ED looks much more appealing than the atrocious colors and font in OZC's.  For the dialogue, EG changed the colors from the straight black and white in OZCs release, and used a nicer font. 

I just took quick snapshots in MPC so the frames arent comparable, but the last 2 screenshots in this link so the difference in subs: http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=624&comparisonId=4607&imageNum=1

Before anyone asks, FWIW, it just so happens that the video in the OP in OZC's looks a hell of a lot sharper, but EG released the NCOP as an extra that contains the same video quality (different encode settings though obviously).  Even though the video quality is slightly less in EG, I still like the novelty of the Japanese credits in the OP/ED sequences.  The video in the ED is of comparable quality to OZC's however.

Offline ToumaKamijou

• Index Loli Project
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:03:25 am »
might wanna fix the link in the first post that should be 624 not 6243

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:36:14 am »
So, what's it gonna be:

Encodergasm or OZC?

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:35 pm »
So, what's the verdict?

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 05:02:21 pm »
Xgraphy, anything new on this comparison?

Offline xgraphy

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 05:18:57 pm »
There is no offer for it, so it's not being looked at.

Offline selicate

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:47:30 pm »
I've sent eternalmetal a PM about this, I'll offer the EG release if they're no longer interested in doing so.

Offline Tabarnaco

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:34:53 am »
In my opinion OZC's looks crap, from your comparison. Plus more attention to detail on the subs on EG's side. "Remastering" the OP is a choice and I think it's a bit silly, but doesn't change much one way or the other. Just go with EG.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:16 am »
I still plan on uploading this, but the hard drive I originally had the files on crashed, so I am in the process of re-downloading.  Sorry for not responding.

Offline VicViper573

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 11:57:29 pm »
I still plan on uploading this, but the hard drive I originally had the files on crashed, so I am in the process of re-downloading.  Sorry for not responding.

Anything since then?