Author Topic: All You Need Is Kill  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Takeshi

All You Need Is Kill
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »
Absolutely worth reading. Short and utterly awesome.

http://bakabt.me/176934-all-you-need-is-kill.html

I haven't watched the film, but I am looking forward to it even though it's probably pretty different.

Offline dbml

Re: All You Need Is Kill
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:38:03 pm »
The name alone has me intrigued. I'll look into this tonight, if I have the time.

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:04 pm »
The name alone has me intrigued. I'll look into this tonight, if I have the time.
Bold of me, but I guarantee you're going to love it.

Offline jevitsj

• その目だれの目
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:59:53 pm »
^I've read the first chapter, will read the rest some other time. (tomorrow/this week)

Seems interesting so far.  :)

Offline dbml

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »
I also just read the first chapter xD Groundhogs Day... in a war? Sweet! The concept has been done a million times before, but I'll never get bored with it. I mean, it's like one of those "choose your own adventure" books. Those are cool as hell!

Yeah, I know this will be good now.

Offline jevitsj

• その目だれの目
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
 :o awesome,

Didn't know Edge of Tomorrow is based on the same story...

I've not yet seen that movie, and their also appears to be a graphic novel of All You Need Is Kill, I like the art of the manga much better.

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:03:12 am »
Edge of Tomorrow was very good. They adapted the premise to fit a World War II-type scenario with Tom Cruise now as the protagonist, and the ending is... well, different, but it used the video game-esque premise of infinite lives pretty effectively and Emily Blunt was badass as Rita Vrataski.

It's also a lot funnier. the dark gallows humour watching Cruise experiencing death at every turn never got old.
Peace, Love, and Tranquility

Offline dbml

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:38 am »
I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow (I despise Hollywood blockbusters) but yeah, I can tell from the billions of previews that I've seen that it definitely had a parallel story to this.

This manga was short, but awesome as hell! I loved the open ending to it. It was dark, grim, but humorous. Thanks Takeshi. It was a great read.

Also, Tom Cruise's movies suck. His last good movie was Top Gun. And it wasn't because of him.

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:31:44 am »
Good shit. Hoping to find the actual novel somewhere...bookstores here don't have it :(

I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow (I despise Hollywood blockbusters) but yeah, I can tell from the billions of previews that I've seen that it definitely had a parallel story to this.

This manga was short, but awesome as hell! I loved the open ending to it. It was dark, grim, but humorous. Thanks Takeshi. It was a great read.

Also, Tom Cruise's movies suck. His last good movie was Top Gun. And it wasn't because of him.
Dismissing a movie you haven't seen, and that too based on prejudices, is pretty silly.
Yeah Tom Cruise hasn't been in a good movie in a long time, but he's not a bad actor (Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Interview with a Vampire).
Edge of Tomorrow was a great film with an unexpected amount of humour, and if you liked this manga you should definitely give it a chance.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline dbml

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 07:38:50 am »
Dismissing a movie you haven't seen, and that too based on prejudices, is pretty silly.
Yeah Tom Cruise hasn't been in a good movie in a long time, but he's not a bad actor (Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Interview with a Vampire).
Edge of Tomorrow was a great film with an unexpected amount of humour, and if you liked this manga you should definitely give it a chance.

I wasn't hating on Edge of Tomorrow. If it sounded that way, it wasn't intended. It looks pretty good, honestly. But I'll stand by my statement that his movies have sucked really badly in the past... ten years. Nor do I think the movies being bad are his fault. They are just... bad. I'll probably pick up Edge of Tomorrow on BD when it comes out if it follows a similar path that the manga does.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 06:26:42 pm »

I wasn't hating on Edge of Tomorrow. If it sounded that way, it wasn't intended. It looks pretty good, honestly. But I'll stand by my statement that his movies have sucked really badly in the past... ten years. Nor do I think the movies being bad are his fault. They are just... bad. I'll probably pick up Edge of Tomorrow on BD when it comes out if it follows a similar path that the manga does.
dbml, give Edge of Tomorrow a shot. It's a really good movie. Nice comedy and good action.

Whenever there is different variations between the original story and the adaptions, I usually take them as "alternate worlds". You know how it is in visual novels? Just like that.

Anyways, it's a really good movie. I liked it.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline sackii

• Say what you want say what you will
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 07:32:15 am »
Havent seen the tom cruise movie, but damn this Manga was good. Too short though
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
but still pretty awesome.

Just finished watching the movie, I'm a bit disappointed when I compare it to the manga but it's objectively a pretty good movie, aside from the Tom Cruise touch which I'm sure you're all familiar with.

By the way the author said earlier this year that he's working on a sequel, so be looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:14:02 am by sackii »

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 03:47:26 am »
It is a good movie.

Funny, when I was watching the movie, I was like "This feels oddly like a Manga or Visual Novel in the way it's presented..."

Made me think of Muv Luv Alternative actually.

Then I looked it up and saw it was based on a Manga, I was like "Ohhhh, I was right!"

Of course, unlike the Manga, the movie had to have a happy end. :P

I liked how Tom Cruise was treated as the fairy boy he is. That is what sold me on the movie. Instead of him always being a badass soldier of doom, he was pretty weak in this.

Offline vuzedome

• Reppuzan~!
  • Awards Winner of the BakaBT Mahjong tournament 2010
    • GoGreenToday
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:21:36 am »
If you've already started reading the novel or manga, don't bother with the movie unless you can watch it without ever trying to compare All You Need Is Kill to it.
BBT Ika Musume Fan Club Member #000044   
Misaka Mikoto Fan Club Member #000044
BBT Duke Nukem Fan Club Member #0000002

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »
    I liked both the movie and the manga, they had their different strengths and weaknesses.  The manga gets credit for more female characters, and a much better title, but at times it did seem to slightly flirt with harem territory.  It's a subtle thing so I won't harp on it mind you.

As others have pointed out, seeing Tom Cruise get squished in various ways is enormously amusing.  Perhaps I would feel differently if I had not watched the movie first though.  It's a pity the movie wasn't more successful as that might have led to more manga adaptations, that were similarily well-done as this.

Offline starcraft59

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »
İ read this manga last week and i recommend it. I like both film and manga but film has some different things as you think. I think worth to watch as well.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 07:23:33 am »
     I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, but it would make for an interesting anime adaptation.  In fact it's kind of surprising that hasn't happened.  Makes me a little worried that maybe there's some stupid clause in the contract for the live action movie preventing it.

Offline Wretch

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
I just read this couple days ago when my friend recommended it to me. It was truly excellent!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:00:44 am by Wretch »

Offline jiop

• Just a BOT...
    • Anime Portal
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:23 pm »
Edge of Tomorrow was still better than any other recent japanese media adapted by the Hollywood. Not surprising however, seeing that Doug Liman was involved in this project.

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 06:54:49 pm »
Edge of Tomorrow was still better than any other recent japanese media adapted by the Hollywood. Not surprising however, seeing that Doug Liman was involved in this project.
Wonder what they're going to do about the sequel though: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5617712/