Author Topic: The General Cat Chat Thread 4  (Read 456998 times)

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
Re: The General Cat Chat Thread 4
« Reply #18760 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:44 am »
Better than what I was taught - html via frontpage 2003 and powerpoint as well as word and excel.

Not a single useful thing was learnt.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #18761 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:19 am »
Better than what I was taught - html via frontpage 2003 and powerpoint as well as word and excel.
OMG THAT'S SO ADVANCED!

No, seriously!
The first 'computer class' I took in high school was run by this old lady who probably though the internet was a series of tubes.

I ended up 'teaching' half the class because she kept fucking things up due to her ignorance.

Even though she 'based' her teaching off the book, she would REGULARLY give us the WRONG information.

Because the tests were all from the book, they came with a semesters worth of tests, anyone who listened to her would get the answers wrong.

Something like:
Q: What program is used to navigate the world wide web?
Book A: Internet Browser.
Her A: IE
Q: What is RAM?
Book A: Random Access Memory - Something about temporary memory etc.
Her A: Wait...is stands for something? If it's temporary then how does it save? Where's the battery at?

Just...uck.
I could rant for days about how my HS had some of the stupidest people in charge of their 'IT' departments.
-On the bright side I manged to turn my 'C' in PE into an 'A' thanks to their lack of a password on their network.

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #18762 on: March 19, 2017, 10:38:21 am »
I would want to teach internationally (where there is demand) for the first few years of my teaching career then move back here and teach at a language school and then part time in a sixth form.

I hate computer science in school, I did it and the teacher here is a complete asshole and made it boring (we did everything in VB.NET)

But now I dropped it they started only doing python, so that sucks.

if you want to be good at compsci you pretty much need to like or at least tolerate math.

also, vb.net is utter shit, but there isn't really a great "starting point" for programming.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
« Reply #18763 on: March 19, 2017, 12:41:48 pm »
Python is definitely a good starting point for programming. So is Java, even if I hate the language, it does do a good job of introducing you to a whole family of languages.

I don't think either of those two are appropriate for introductory computer science.
yeah, comsci on the introductory doesn't really have any programming lessons.
Pretty sure he's in high school? So I doubt they're teaching CS101 stuff. Probably just basic programming.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #18764 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:15 pm »
CS starts at highschool, theres no CS in primaryschool, at least none in less well known schools.

and highschool CS has mostly CS101 in it, mostly conceptual stuff, nothing in-depth like hands-on programming.
e.g. they mostly teach you about "what", "when" and "why", nothing much on "how" aside from how to use a computer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:03:42 pm by kitamesume »

Offline froody1911

• froody1911
« Reply #18765 on: March 19, 2017, 01:09:56 pm »
Um well I actually learned basic C++ as part of my curriculum in the last 2 years of high school. They also taught basics of networking and a couple of data structures in the same course. So you're wrong, they do teach programming in some high schools.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18766 on: March 19, 2017, 01:23:13 pm »
probably in academies specializing in science and technology.
but most of the generalized schools and public schools don't, they also lack the staff and equipment for it.

heck, the school i went to all had the original P50s pentiums.
they first built the computer lab sometime around 1997, never once upgraded since then.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:29:24 pm by kitamesume »

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18767 on: March 19, 2017, 01:29:07 pm »
OMG THAT'S SO ADVANCED!

No, seriously!
The first 'computer class' I took in high school was run by this old lady who probably though the internet was a series of tubes.

I ended up 'teaching' half the class because she kept fucking things up due to her ignorance.

Even though she 'based' her teaching off the book, she would REGULARLY give us the WRONG information.

Because the tests were all from the book, they came with a semesters worth of tests, anyone who listened to her would get the answers wrong.

Something like:
Q: What program is used to navigate the world wide web?
Book A: Internet Browser.
Her A: IE
Q: What is RAM?
Book A: Random Access Memory - Something about temporary memory etc.
Her A: Wait...is stands for something? If it's temporary then how does it save? Where's the battery at?

Just...uck.
I could rant for days about how my HS had some of the stupidest people in charge of their 'IT' departments.
-On the bright side I manged to turn my 'C' in PE into an 'A' thanks to their lack of a password on their network.

Sounds like what I went through. I was actually made to teach the class on several occasions (despite being a student myself) and half the time the teacher just pulled shit out of a book but didn't even read it himself. One time he marked the entire class a fail on some test because he had the wrong answers.. We all made so much fuss about it, that the headmaster made him sit a new test himself with us xD

Kitamesume, they do it here in Australia in all high schools during the final two years, its not the 'better schools', its all of them. While I was in school, it was a choice of C++ or Java.
Visual Basic 6.0 was installed on the network, but not used innany classes - though we were free to use it if we wanted during any free time.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18768 on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:20 pm »
difference in countries then.

speaking of lessons, what they did teach here on the last two years is how to use powerpoint, excel and outlook.
in particular, one whole sem was spent on a project on making the most gaudy, flashy or attractive presentation using powerpoint.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:49:36 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #18769 on: March 19, 2017, 03:19:31 pm »
if you want to be good at compsci you pretty much need to like or at least tolerate math.

meh i liked math in secondary school, my problem with choosing A Levels was I'm average at everything, straight Bs so I couldn't choose 'what im good at'

Offline froody1911

• froody1911
« Reply #18770 on: March 19, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »
difference in countries then.

speaking of lessons, what they did teach here on the last two years is how to use powerpoint, excel and outlook.
in particular, one whole sem was spent on a project on making the most gaudy, flashy or attractive presentation using powerpoint.

Thankfully we had that stuff in 7th and 8th grade. They also taught Macromedia Flash in 8th grade, for some incomprehensible reason. *shudder*

YOU'RE MOM

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #18771 on: March 19, 2017, 03:37:10 pm »
I remember doing code in turbo pascal in 7-8thish grade, some html, converting decimal to binary and learning about what makes a computer. The class before that were virtually let's learn to use power point/word/excel/email.

Dunno what they teach in gymnasium classes, I couldn't fit in CS in my schedule when I was there.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #18772 on: March 19, 2017, 03:56:12 pm »
I remember doing code in turbo pascal in 7-8thish grade, some html, converting decimal to binary and learning about what makes a computer. The class before that were virtually let's learn to use power point/word/excel/email.

Same, although our teacher was inexperienced with it himself so getting a good grade was easy.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18773 on: March 19, 2017, 05:26:04 pm »

Dunno what they teach in gymnasium classes, I couldn't fit in CS in my schedule when I was there.

they did it in reverse here, MS office came last, after all the math theories and whats a computer stuff.
i think they brought up HTML once, i mean the HTML structure, but we didn't get into a hands-on experience.

i found converting binary to hex and vice versa on a piece of paper a pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:30:09 pm by kitamesume »

Offline froody1911

• froody1911
« Reply #18774 on: March 19, 2017, 05:46:30 pm »
i found converting binary to hex and vice versa on a piece of paper a pain in the ass.
Eh...all conversions between binary, octal, and hexadecimal are ezpz because each digit has a fixed representation length. It's only when you have to convert to or from decimal that you actually need to calculate.

YOU'RE MOM

Online Ultimecia

« Reply #18775 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:24 pm »
My IT classes were garbage. Nothing at all like programming but lots of things like using Macromedia Fireworks to design a t-shirt. Even as an illustrator now that wasn't very useful to me

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #18776 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:02 am »
Back in my day, hard drives were a new fangled thing.  I learned Turbo Pascal, although I'll be damned if I remember a single bit of it now, and some basic DOS stuff which I still use to this day.  This would have been, I think, in 1989.  Pentiums weren't even a thing then.

On a different note, my house has been up for sale for 4 days, and I got an offer on it today -- full price, minus 3% for the buyer's closing costs.  I'm asking $150,000, and would be happy with a sale price of $140k to $145k, so this is in line with what I want to get.  At this point, the total estimated costs are about 11.9%, and after paying off my current mortgage, I should be able to walk away with between $66k and $67k.  Pretty excellent, right in line with what I was hoping for.  This assumes, of course, that nothing queers the deal.

Feeling cautiously optimistic right now.   ;D
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #18777 on: March 20, 2017, 01:32:50 am »
Eh...all conversions between binary, octal, and hexadecimal are ezpz because each digit has a fixed representation length. It's only when you have to convert to or from decimal that you actually need to calculate.

it is easy, the problem is it fills up the paper fast, its a pain in the ass.

Online Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18778 on: March 20, 2017, 01:43:17 am »
I remember back when I could read a binary clock.
It was just dots to everyone else, but I could tell them the time to the second.

I look at them now and scratch my head.
Falling into disuse makes you forget.

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #18779 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:57 am »
^ Just means it was an unnecessary skill overall.

Pretty sure he's in high school? So I doubt they're teaching CS101 stuff. Probably just basic programming.

Even for basic programming, I don't believe a scripting language really suits the purpose of teaching the fundamental stuff.
I've never once referred to all the Perl/Ruby/Python code I've written as 'programs'.
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!