Author Topic: The General Cat Chat Thread 4  (Read 458087 times)

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
Re: The General Cat Chat Thread 4
« Reply #18780 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:02 am »
Even for basic programming, I don't believe a scripting language really suits the purpose of teaching the fundamental stuff.
I've never once referred to all the Perl/Ruby/Python code I've written as 'programs'.
Last I checked Python was a fully featured language with optional OOP, not a scripting language >_>
Though obviously you can use it for simple scripts too.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18781 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
There are several programs that are entirely made with Python or Cython. I don't see how that is just a script.

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #18782 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:59 pm »
Can't think of anymore expensess
Rent, BT Broadband, Food, Home/renters Insurance, Phone, Water

don't need transport costs as most will be done in walking distance.

right now my costs look like this
BT Broadband   Food   Home Insurance   Phone   Water   Energy
£29.99          £100          £8.00                   £12.00     £22.0      £60.00

does that sound about right? (bt broadband includes line rental, phone im paying off my contract then buying a sim only plan, water rates are done by zoopla but i checked with yorkshirewater, i eat lunch at college so food is lower) Energy rate was a guesstimate but seems around right for one person, out most of the day.

did up a spreadsheet, most rents including all these costs are coming to £550-£630. If i work weekends [email protected]/hr  then I should be able to bring the costs down to £140 for lowest and £240 highest. (this would come out my inheritance).

Meaning living until uni will cost me if house sells in June around 2-3k out my inheritance, leaving me with £27,000 left. If my gf and I both work, I won't need to use my inheritance and will be making £250ish in savings.

time to arrange some viewings  :unsure:

looking forward to this abrupt independence

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #18783 on: March 20, 2017, 11:24:35 pm »
Can't think of anymore expensess
Rent, BT Broadband, Food, Home/renters Insurance, Phone, Water

don't need transport costs as most will be done in walking distance.

right now my costs look like this
BT Broadband   Food   Home Insurance   Phone   Water   Energy
£29.99          £100          £8.00                   £12.00     £22.0      £60.00

does that sound about right? (bt broadband includes line rental, phone im paying off my contract then buying a sim only plan, water rates are done by zoopla but i checked with yorkshirewater, i eat lunch at college so food is lower) Energy rate was a guesstimate but seems around right for one person, out most of the day.

did up a spreadsheet, most rents including all these costs are coming to £550-£630. If i work weekends [email protected]/hr  then I should be able to bring the costs down to £140 for lowest and £240 highest. (this would come out my inheritance).

Meaning living until uni will cost me if house sells in June around 2-3k out my inheritance, leaving me with £27,000 left. If my gf and I both work, I won't need to use my inheritance and will be making £250ish in savings.

time to arrange some viewings  :unsure:

looking forward to this abrupt independence

You forgot heating/electricity/maintenance/trash.

100 pounds for food seems awfully low, you will also probably eat out/go drinking once in a while, the odd starbucks or equivalent coffee. You're a teenager, not an ascetic.

The you need some fucking soap and tp budget, clothes budget, entertainment budget, transportation budget(even if 95% of the stuff concerning you is within walking distance 5% won't be), there's also the uni budget for stationary/books/whatever, then there's the bureaucracy/administration costs.

And finally, you forgot the most important one of them all, the "In case shite", budget.

Beyond those, there's the cost of relocation. Moving comes with a lot of annoying side costs, from you no longer having a useable chair to a deposit.

Generally speaking, whatever you plan out, the first month is probably going to cost about 3-4x that and each subsequent one will cost you about 1.25x-1.5x of what it was "supposed" to cost. The fact of the matter is, few people account for broken headphones/toothpaste/you kicking and breaking something important while stumbling around in the dark costs into their budget and not including it doesn't stop it from happening.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:31:03 pm by Saras »

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #18784 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:47 am »
heating/electricity
that comes under energy tab
100 pounds for food seems awfully low
only dinner/breakfast

"In case shite", budget.
my 30k inheritance

breaking something important while stumbling around in the dark costs into their budget
accidental cover included in home insurance

Moving comes with a lot of annoying side costs
forgot to mention the council gives me $4,000ish in a 'leaving care grant' when i turn 18 for when i want to move out and buy stuff for a new place, that will cover the first months rent + appliances (i already have a gaming pc and tv, ill just need to buy a bed, washer, sofa, fridge. My girlfriend is pretty darn content with watching movies from Plex, which is fine with me. (we have consoles and stuff already for games too). I don't drink either, and if I do it's straight vodka every 6 or so months lol.

there's also the uni budget for stationary/books/whatever, then there's the bureaucracy/administration costs.
still in sixth form so everything is paid for by the government, got another year and 2 months before I get into uni! :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:07:44 am by Msiku »

Offline TiYlER

• 絶対大丈夫だよ!· · · · · · · Smårips er også bær
« Reply #18785 on: March 21, 2017, 01:09:59 am »
£6/hr @16 hrs
damn
「発想の転換が必要なの。あれ、これどっかで聞いたなぁって思ったら、まず逆を考えるわけ。そしたら新しいものが生まれてくるかもしれないじゃない」
muh dick

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #18786 on: March 21, 2017, 01:10:22 am »
minimum wage, i don't expect a penny higher

Offline Krudda

• 私は 日本語 が 上手 じゃ ありません
    • My Anime List
« Reply #18787 on: March 21, 2017, 01:37:44 am »
Convert it and deflate for inflation over the years, thats a bit less than what I got when I first started working - except instead of 16 hours I was doing 52-54
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:42:18 am by Krudda »

Offline Msiku

• ok
« Reply #18788 on: March 21, 2017, 01:39:32 am »
believe me, i just want to work and forget about college and take a webdev course and just ride it out to a senior webdev later on in life. However, studies call

Offline megido-rev.M

• Come now, it's nothing special.
« Reply #18789 on: March 21, 2017, 04:13:32 am »
Even for basic programming, I don't believe a scripting language really suits the purpose of teaching the fundamental stuff.
I've never once referred to all the Perl/Ruby/Python code I've written as 'programs'.
Last I checked Python was a fully featured language with optional OOP, not a scripting language >_>
Though obviously you can use it for simple scripts too.

Technically speaking, it's a scripting language featuring an OOP framework. I'm not say that a scripting language doesn't produce programs, but the code fed to the interpreter is a script, just like .cpp files are called sources to before going through g++, which then become an actual program.
Basically the extra layers of abstraction pull away from fundamental concepts involving low level stuff in a system. I don't think I ever touched memory allocation in Perl, and certainly no regex in C (except sprintf when I accidentally discovered that it's supported).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:22:18 am by megido-rev.M »
That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #18790 on: March 21, 2017, 04:37:18 am »
I'm supposed to be studying computer science but I mostly took math next semester because I love math and I'm a child in an adult's body and I only want to do things I like.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #18791 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:39 am »
Just make sure to avoid Theoretical Mathematics.

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #18792 on: March 21, 2017, 04:59:07 am »
I took a discrete math class, a calculus class and a physics class, as well as a software analysis class just so that I can still pretend I'm studying computer science. Although to be fair, a lot of discrete math has applications in computer science.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #18793 on: March 21, 2017, 05:00:50 am »
Discrete math has a lot of application to a lot of things, hence my salt when I found out that UofT replaced it with goddamn chemistry and material science (useless 2 x 1/4 semester courses).

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #18794 on: March 21, 2017, 05:10:11 am »
I hear a lot of people complaining about the chemistry class in my program. I actually liked chemistry. But than again I'm such a nerd.

One class I really didn't like was maintenance and test this semester. I actually canceled it. Not only did the midterm go really bad, I was put in a team with a complete ass and he was ruining everything. He's the only teammate I have had any complain about since the start of my program but I seriously hope he gets thrown out of college at some point. I don't want an ass like this to share my profession.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline megido-rev.M

« Reply #18795 on: March 21, 2017, 05:15:55 am »
What's that course about?

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #18796 on: March 21, 2017, 05:48:23 am »
What's that course about?
Software maintenance (e.g. change done to a software after its delivery) and software testing, although I didn't last long enough for the testing part. It's a lot of learning stuff by heart (norm numbers, scientist names, etc) and being told by a very depressed teacher just how much it sucks to work in maintenance.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline metro.

• notesonhowtolive.
« Reply #18797 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:00 am »
Discrete math is fun af. I didn't mind calc 4 that much but it's not super useful for me and pretty hard, half my class was suicidal doing it tho.

i really liked lin alg, even though im truly terrible at it.

i should think about going back to school, hm.

at the movies drunk & young

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
« Reply #18798 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:29 pm »
Discrete math is bae.

Software maintenance (e.g. change done to a software after its delivery) and software testing
Sounds soul-wrecking.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #18799 on: March 21, 2017, 02:37:02 pm »
is there any category or intensity for a "yandere"?

i mean, we know that theres a "bloody-yan" type, and outright "murder-yan" type.
but are there any very mild "yandere" that doesn't involve intense envy?