Author Topic: Overwatch [Blizzard]  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
Overwatch [Blizzard]
« on: November 08, 2014, 12:30:09 am »
New game announced. Some elements were taking from Titan. First person shooter ... and it's so, so different!

Link.

Check out the videos. Read on it. I'm so game for this.

¸¸,.-~*'¨¨¨™¤¦ Otakixus ¦¤™¨¨¨'*~-.,¸¸

Offline SeventyX7

Re: Overwatch [Blizzard]
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:49:33 am »
TF2 with Pixar graphics and champion abilities?  I'll sign up for that.

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:40 am »
Yeah, I'd never thought a Blizzard game would be so... Disney.
Peace, Love, and Tranquility

Online logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:47:01 am »
...World of Warcraft...

Offline Yurie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:10:31 am »
...World of Warcraft...
Heartstone

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:10:05 pm »
No, I mean they both use simplified and embellished animated characters and by extension so does most animation universally, but Blizzard's works have never had the feeling of a Disney movie.

Offline revo

• I Can Only Carry 50 Loli's at a Time
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
No, I mean they both use simplified and embellished animated characters and by extension so does most animation universally, but Blizzard's works have never had the feeling of a Disney movie.
better Disney than that generic american creature design.

something like this

Large muscle + oversized shoulder armor =  :sick:

Offline SeventyX7

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 05:57:34 pm »
better Disney than that generic american creature design.

something like this

Large muscle + oversized shoulder armor =  :sick:
Uh...American generic creature design is exactly the same as European generic creature design.

You just don't notice it as much in video games because there are more American studios.

Offline revo

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 06:21:07 pm »
I don't agree

Take a look at Witcher. Geralts proportions are normal and his armor is normal

Same as their Elves or other races.
I like when they look realistic.

I'm not saying that those designs are bad. It's just that I don't like them.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110607183929/darksiders/images/e/e2/War-darksiders-artwork-character.jpg 
Darksiders

Lords of the fallen
http://assets.ign.com/thumbs/userUploaded/2014/8/30/old_monastery_02_s-1409419396625.jpg

:sick: 

;D

Offline SeventyX7

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 06:54:45 pm »
I'd respond to you argument but you're comparing The Witcher and Lord of the Fallen to Darksiders.   :whistle:

If you want to make an argument without trolling let me know.

Offline revo

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 08:16:47 pm »
I'd respond to you argument but you're comparing The Witcher and Lord of the Fallen to Darksiders.   :whistle:

If you want to make an argument without trolling let me know.
I'm just comparing graphic designs, nothing more

Offline futz

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 10:13:49 pm »
What's the point of the comparison between Euro and US design in the first place...? Isn't Disney an american studio anyway?

If it was a comparison between Eastern and Western design, I'd understand. Like Nier redesign...

But here I don't really get what you're arguing about with the Eu/US design...

Offline Hadouken

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:11:44 am »
What's the point of the comparison between Euro and US design in the first place...? Isn't Disney an american studio anyway?

If it was a comparison between Eastern and Western design, I'd understand. Like Nier redesign...

But here I don't really get what you're arguing about with the Eu/US design...
Just another reason to bash America.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 02:16:16 am »
Beta invitation went out earlier today, got one myself. Beta starts tomorrow until Monday. Looking forward to testing this game out.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 11:21:40 am »
As far as I'm concerned about US character designs it's not really new compared to the European designs.

First of all, American understanding of a strong powerful man is a big burly walking mountain of a man. WAR and Orcs are perfect examples in American games, those guys are BIG, it's a simple emphasis on the fact that those guys are STRONG, look at WAR. The guys literally wields a two handed sword with one hand, like it's a longsword for him. Taurens in WOW didn't even initially have an option to wield a one handed weapon, which is why they were limited to shamans with axes, warriors and druids. Only later on they were "given" the option to wield a dagger cuz shamans in later parts of the game didn't get int axes but daggers or maces. Took them a year to realize the folly of their engineering.

Geralt on the other hand is a perfect example of a normal strong guy of Middle earth European, you can definitely see he is strong, has muscles and all that shit, but no matter what armour you give him he doesn't look like HULK. He's a slightly abnormal guy that wields a swrod, or two, has a crossbow and casts a few spells, oh right he fights MONSTERS.

Now lets make it boring and change their jobs.
Put WAR into an office box, fits in ? feels like giving Hulk Hogan a minicar ? yeah, I thought so, Beefy guys made by American studios usually entail being HULKS in forms that are killable in some way, but they are meant to represent only ONE attribute of power. STRENGTH.

Put Geralt in an office box and he wouldn't look much more different than the other guy that goes to the gym often enough to simply impress the ladies, doesn't look like Hulk Hogan in a minicar, and definitely would fit in one. That's mainly because designs made in EU, while not always simple, cuz we could probably name a few games made by EU studios would show teh same HULKish guys as most of US studios do, but most of them show simple people that become heroes.

Now if we look at Asian games, we have a bit of everything, starting from stats.
Depending on what type of the character we are talking about, in most games we'll find their builds to represent their main stat.
Physically strong people will be usually big, not as beefy as in US games, but big enough to show they have muscle.
Smart characters are usually short and frail, sometimes just normally looking, and swift and speedy characters are usually slim.

In most cases girls have fairly showy boobies, in US games especially slutty, in EU games just pretty with proportions if they ARE important in some way and in Asian games, usually depending on fanservice but they always have a loli in their sleeve.

My most recent experiences with asian games: Tales of Zestiria and FF14, Fairly small or big boobz, hardly ever between, guys are usually in all directions.

In FF14 I can emphasize about women in games since the main leaders of all factions are in fact women.
Immortal Flames have a really nice looking loli, Ex pirates of Maelstrom have a big booby mature woman with a gun and gentle Gridanian Twin Serpents have a soft C-cup white mage woman around 30 years old I could only assume.

What connects all regions of gaming world is that girls will be pretty and usually oversexualized, guys will be ugly or ridiculously handsome, and OP characters will be OP.
Dragons will be Dragons, and Greenskins will burn. And trolls will be trolls (Although in some games you wouldn't believe they are  trolls in the first place). Elves will have pointy ears and dwarfs will have beards, all of them.

The only thing that makes US look silly in game development is the fact that in most fantasy games, Males usually are meant to be physically strong and represented by hulkish brutelooking walking blocks of muscle.

Darksiders 2 has DEATH shown as a fairly slim character because he is an assassin, a swift, nimble character that uses small weapons as main weapon, can wield two handed weapons in BOTH hands unlike WAR who swings his giant sword like it's a toy.

And sadly it works for the most part of it, their imagination of a perfect male and a perfect female in games shows what they think they lack, sexy women and living hulks. That's how US imagines a perfect mankind, and there's actually nothing wrong about it.

Perfect example ?
Mass Effect Shepard.
Male is fairly big, the proportions change from class to class but they are very small changes, the male is fairly big, a perfect example of a standard male that US envisions.
Female is slim, sexy, without oversized tits but still quite noticeable and guess what ? She's a Red Head by default !
Look at Black Widow in Avengers, compared to the Thor, Iron-man, Hawkeye, and especially to Hulk, she's small, well developed in teh right places, she's nimble, very feminine, red headed, smart and loyal like a dog. An example of what US think a Woman should be, despite their attempts to equalize the sexes in day-to-day life, sexism will never leave USA.

The conclusion is such that in MOST games, the way a character is shown represents what the character is supposed to be like.

I'm gonna bring up Fable-The Lost chapters.
Main hero there is flexibly changing his posture. He can be fat, slim, burly or ... bony.
Physical appearance changes according to what training we give our character, if we train him in assassination instead of warrior skills, he'll be slim and nimble, sniping enemies from afar or using assassin rush to strike with a katana from behind dealing much more damage with one longsword in quick succession that we would with a big 2-hander in the same amount of time. Of course we could teach our character some Physique skills and HE WOULD GROW BIGGER, and wield a 2-hander in one hand as well.

It all really depends on how well thought the game is in character design, despite it being an asian or western game, if it's badly designed from teh start it will often leave a bad taste when it comes to character design. But more often than we care, that's the point of it.
Sometimes they just don't give a fuck about the way the character looks, but about the game itself. And sadly that works.
Don't like it, don't play it as they say.

Though personally I would prefer if all games started appreciating players creativity and allow users to define how the character looks like. If people want to make a beefy guy OR a beefy girl, let them. If they want a tiny guy with a giant 2 handed sword, let them.
In retrospect, it would make the game more fun if we could have a direct control over the look of our heroes, we could get attached to them, and it could lead to the re-playability of the game. But that's sadly overlooked.

As for the topic at hand, I'm glad Blizzard is TRYING to break out of their cursed cycle of practically just 3 titles over the past 2 decades.
And I wish them luck with that, Overwatch looks interesting, but it's not a game for me. I don't like Team Fortress types of games. Especially since it looks like this game will not have a single player at all. So I'll simply stay away from it, especially since you gotta buy it to play it, so I'll pass on a pay-to-play 8 player only game. Micro transactions work better for games like that, people spend a lot of money on TF2 goodies but games like that should be free to play, and games like HotS (DOTA) as well, they make more money off Microtransactions than with pay-to-play model.

So those interested, Have fun, honestly. GL-HF-GG.

Offline Tatsujin

• Box Fansubs
    • Otakixus
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 10:52:02 pm »
Excited to play the game today! Who's gonna get in the Beta this weekend?

And I really like Blizzard designers. WoW designs are funny and cartoony but I like them a lot. Overwatch looks very promising, I hope they have tons of customization and weapon/armor upgrades like Destiny.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 01:07:03 am »
Still waiting for Starcraft:Ghost ...

Offline Nikkoru

• Cyberpun
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 02:39:06 am »
There's Nova Covert Ops coming up next year. It wouldn't surprise me if they folded their SC:Ghost material into that.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 05:45:45 am »
I just saw the character with the mech....so freaking jealous!

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 08:48:36 am »
There's Nova Covert Ops coming up next year. It wouldn't surprise me if they folded their SC:Ghost material into that.
It's just 5 missions :P

They know well enough that people don't really care for Nova much, the original concep was about Kerrigan and her first spec-ops team. They discarded the project because of World of Warcraft.