Author Topic: The [email protected]  (Read 1163 times)

Offline munchulax

Bear with me, this is my first post on the forum, as well as my first (posted) comparison.
Since FFF has (sort of) finally finished their BDs for the show, I figured it was time to do a comparison of their release and the Coalgirls release that BakaBT already has on the site.

Here is the comparison for both Coalgirls' and FFF's 720p and 1080p releases:
http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=1069

Mediainfo Coalgirls 720p
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Mediainfo Coalgirls 1080p
Mediainfo FFF 720p
Mediainfo FFF 1080p

I only compared Episode 1 because my HDD literally cannot fit any more files on it at the moment (Down to the last couple GB).

It is worth noting that FFF's karaoke is not as complex as Coalgirls' (images 17 and 18) and that Coalgirls' typesetting towards the end of the episode is not timed right (image 15). Coalgirls also spliced the NCOP/ED and the extended previews into the episode, while FFF made them available as separate files. Coalgirls' 720p also has a jagged look to it sometimes (image 5 and image 14's books in the background are good examples of this), which might be because of the 720p's cropping and possible sharpening. Coalgirls' release also seems to look a little bitrate starved in darker scenes, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:45:01 am by munchulax »

Offline Msiku

• ok
Have to agree on the smoother edges on the FFF, I also assume the filesize of coalgirls is different.

The 720p CGi is definitely a bit worse quality in the edges vs FFF's. Also, the CGi 720p seems to have excessive bloat (200MB difference) for practically the same thing, yet looking to have worse detail.

My decision would be 720p for definite FFF, also the blacks on the 1080 (SS 15 I think) look to be pixelated on the CGi version.

Also on SS #10 the blacks in here eye look to be really rough, is that just for that frame (could it be an anomaly?)?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:40:02 pm by Msiku »

Offline munchulax

Also, the CGi 720p seems to have excessive bloat (200MB difference) for practically the same thing, yet looking to have worse detail,

Well Coalgirls does provide their 24-bit FLAC audio as usual with their 720p, which probably accounts for the majority of the filesize difference.
As far as the quality difference with the edges, the opposite directions used for the deblocking parameters (CGi 1:-2:-2 and FFF 1:1:1) might have played a part in that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:42:58 am by munchulax »

Offline Msiku

• ok
That would explain the bloat, but If people wanted quality they'd go with the 1080p version. In addition to this on frame #9 you can see  the right characters face/glasses getting blurry, sort of like an FXAA. (720p ver). However it still looks to have better quality of the colours (e.g the hair etc).

I would still go with FFF due to the less distorted colours and smoother edges, if quality is wanted then both 1080p versions have FLAC.

Offline kristen

The one image that's interesting to me is image 5. See the Glowd magazine, and that black and white checkered outline of the box on it? It seems like in FFF's 720p, that just outright disappears and becomes black. I think it may be a result of a filter or something. Though it may be a result of your resize filter too, as their 1080p is fine.

Regardless, [email protected] I seem to recall doing filterless and with settings I definitely would've changed if doing it again, and they did it knowing what was out there (so they could do a direct comparison to see if it was better), so it makes sense that FFF would be better, at least on the 1080p.

Offline munchulax

The one image that's interesting to me is image 5. See the Glowd magazine, and that black and white checkered outline of the box on it? It seems like in FFF's 720p, that just outright disappears and becomes black.
Yeah, I noticed that too, that was one of the reasons I did comparisons of that frame.

...and they did it knowing what was out there (so they could do a direct comparison to see if it was better), so it makes sense that FFF would be better, at least on the 1080p.
That's probably what happened since FFF's release did come out 8 days after Coalgirls'.

Offline TheM4gicMan

I feel like that sub comparisons can't really be done since it took such a long time for FFF to finish the [email protected] BDs (three years!), and that most likely lots of changes and fixes are gonna be made to the subs for the FFF batch. Ideally, waiting for that batch would be the best option but looking at FFF's track record and what Eien implied when he released the last [email protected] volume, it's probably gonna be a while before that batch is released.
Just my two cents.