Author Topic: DBNL subtitle files  (Read 853 times)

Offline sookie

DBNL subtitle files
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »
I apologize if this is the wrong section to be asking this, but wondering if the srt/ass files that DBNL have used in their Dragon Ball & DBZ releases are available anywhere online to download. If not, is there a way to extract them from the video and embed them into another video of a higher resolution? I'm well versed in the use of computers, but have never done anything like this before. I realize there are a large number of users here that work with manipulating subtitle files and videos, so I thought it would be best to ask here.

If anyone has a little spare time on their hands, an explanation on how to change subtitle styling and timing would be nice too.

Thanks, and please move this thread to the correct section if I'm in the wrong place!

Offline Takeshi

Re: DBNL subtitle files
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:18:36 pm »
If not, is there a way to extract them from the video and embed them into another video of a higher resolution? I'm well versed in the use of computers, but have never done anything like this before. I realize there are a large number of users here that work with manipulating subtitle files and videos, so I thought it would be best to ask here.
Use mkvextract. It's not great, but the easiest way I know.

If anyone has a little spare time on their hands, an explanation on how to change subtitle styling and timing would be nice too.
You can change them with Aegisub or configure your DirectVobSub to change them to whatever you want, but that goes for all .srt you want to play with your files.

Try this: http://subscene.com/subtitles/dragon-ball-z-the-series/english/1016326
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:20:07 pm by Takeshi »

Offline sookie

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:32:44 pm »
Use mkvextract. It's not great, but the easiest way I know.
MKVToolnix is what primarily pops up when I do a search on MKVmerge. Is this the correct software?

You can change them with Aegisub or configure your DirectVobSub to change them to whatever you want, but that goes for all .srt you want to play with your files.
Looking into aegis and directvobsub now. Thanks!

Try this: http://subscene.com/subtitles/dragon-ball-z-the-series/english/1016326
I believe these are subs taken directly from the DVDs?

Offline ConsiderPhlebas

• CP @ Live-eviL
  • Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
    • Live-eviL
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:53 pm »
MKVToolnix is what primarily pops up when I do a search on MKVmerge. Is this the correct software?
Yeah. MKVToolnix is the underlying software package. Then you can use GUI like MKVMerge and MKVExtract to actually do the work.

(You probably won't need to know this, but MKVExtract has some issues unpacking fonts, so I use MKVcleaver for that.)

These together with Aegisub are sufficient standard tools for most fansubbers not having to deal with encoding.

Offline Zalis116

• Box Fansubs
    • ReDone-Subs Founder & Sole Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:49:43 pm »
Quote from: Sookie
I believe these are subs taken directly from the DVDs?
I'm pretty sure DBNL's are also taken directly from the DVDs, just differently styled. You could also try this link, though again, all the subtitle files floating around out there are going to be the same R1 DVD scripts.

Got any old fansubs on HDD/DVD/CD? Please take a look at this thread.