Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched?  (Read 20791 times)

Offline jsandoval

What's the last movie you watched?
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:32:04 am »
    A couple days ago I got around to finally watching all of Evilspeak.  I'd seen bits and pieces over the years but kept forgetting the actual title, which made tracking it down a tad difficult.  Perhaps I should have just tried searching for "deranged possessed amiga" or something along those lines.  In plenty of ways it's seriously cheesy, nowhere near the calibre of a film like Phantasm, but I have a lot of appreciation for them going all out at the ending. 

Offline shabutie

• If eternity should fail
Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »
Muppet Treasure Island.

Because it's awesome.

Offline logos

• INAZUMA KICK!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:19:37 pm »
some shitty chinese movie about Guan Yu (forgot what it's called), which made me wanna watch koihime musou, luckily I resisted that temptation...maybe I should go play dynasty warriors instead...

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:30 pm »
Orions Belte. Old Norwegan movie.

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:18:45 pm »
kingsman the secret service - much better than I had expected :)
"Nothing is either good or bad, only thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

Offline Burkingam

• Love, Science & Music
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:20:53 pm »
Anohana. The series is better.
Altmed is altfact!

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:08 pm »
Apocalypse Now. 8)

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:27:09 pm »

I've heard good things about it, was toying with seeing it at theatres if I had the money.  It's by the same guy who did Kickass right?

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:01:33 am »
Dark City.  I saw it in the theater when it was first out.  This is the first time I've seen it since.  Jennifer Connelly in that film is basically the perfect brunette woman, 10/10.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 01:22:08 am »
     Colour me jealous, I only saw a bit of it late night on tv and was so impressed I went out and bought the dvd.  I think it was overshadowed a bit by The Matrix because there are similar elements, but as is so often the case the more obscure film is by far superior.  And yes Jennifer Connely is amazing.  As soon as science perfects genetically engineering actual catgirls I propose she be the prototype.

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:17 am »
Funny thing is, I saw it in the theater with a friend who didn't like the film.  I enjoyed it, but he hated it, and insisted that I owed him for convincing him to see it.  Now, this is after he dragged me out to see the 1998 version of The Avengers, which was quite simply one of the most awful films I've ever seen.  Just goes to show, there's no accounting for taste.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline mrdkreka

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »

I've heard good things about it, was toying with seeing it at theatres if I had the money.  It's by the same guy who did Kickass right?
Yep, and it also have one of the best fight scene I have seen yet, but in some countries/state it have been removed, because of religious reason.
"Nothing is either good or bad, only thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

Offline shabutie

• If eternity should fail
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 04:13:51 pm »
Dark City.  I saw it in the theater when it was first out.  This is the first time I've seen it since.  Jennifer Connelly in that film is basically the perfect brunette woman, 10/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8

Offline peanute

• Is it really that bad?
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:48 am »
Fury. Good film imo. Some people say that its soaked with american propaganda, like every american war film, but honestly i aint bothered. Enjoyed every second of it.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 02:50:30 pm »
The Departed...on AMC...with my grandma.

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:18 am »
     Just got back from watching What We Do In The Shadows.  I'm developing quite a fondness for movies from New Zealand.  Obviously there's the older Peter Jackson stuff, Meet The Feebles; Bad Taste and Dead Alive / Brain Dead.  Aside from those The Quiet Earth was also quite impressive.  I've heard there's a sort of kiwi Mad Max but I forget what it was called.  Going to have to do some research I guess.

Offline Mcgreag

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »
Enter the Dragon
We did a martial arts movie marathon last weekend and that was the finale. It was ok, good for its age I guess but martial art choreography have advanced a bit since then.
Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason.

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 05:11:52 am »
Mcgreag what you need to realize is that those movies where filmed using actual martial arts whereas newer films are done with what's known as "Movie Wushu."  I had to do a paper on it for film class a few years ago.  Movie Wushu adds more flourish to their fighting style not quite as showy as a cowboy punch though.

https://youtu.be/Zd5zS23a90M

A funny story from Jackie Chan.

https://youtu.be/U8CtOqJy6xM

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 09:47:28 am »
   It wasn't the most recent movie I've seen, but a couple weeks back I watched Mad Monkey Kung Fu and it seems to me that martial arts choreography from the old Shaw Brothers days holds up pretty well.  I'd certainly take it over the hideous garbage you see in a lot of modern stuff coming out of China, with the heavy use of computer graphics and Matrix-style slow motion.  The cheesy obviously fake sound effects kind of get on my nerves though, my only complaint about the old stuff.  The fight choreography of The Raid movies were astounding however, best of both worlds.

I forgot to mention Black Sheep as another example of fine New Zealand filmmaking earlier.  Whoops.

Offline Mcgreag

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 01:45:07 pm »
There are movie wushu in older movies as well, one of the other movies we had at the marathon was Drunken Master from 1978.  And Enter the Dragon definitively contained many such things as well, I don't feel it was particular different in that regard. They just use different ways to "spice" it up. I do agree that many Hong Kong movies take it way too far but they are not the only martial arts movies around. Of the movies we watched the one those fighting choreography I enjoyed the most where the Japanese movie K.G. (Karate Girl), the story in that one was on the other hand sub par :)

Enter the Dragon is supposed to be one of Bruce Lees best movies and for the most part it was good but final fight in the mirror room destroys it for me. It was one of the more cringe worthy final battles I have seen in any martial arts movie and is a prime example on what I am talking about.
Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason.