Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched?  (Read 20562 times)

Offline jsandoval

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 03:02:27 pm »
     I won't say Bruce Lee is overrated exactly, more like his body of work is just too short to properly do him justice.  I vaguely remember seeing one of his films when I was a little kid and not really being blown away.  Maybe it's because at least some of his fights were gimmicky, like having him fight a tall sports celebrity instead of the kind of satisfying sustained duel against a worthy opponent in classier films.  Jacky Chan's older movies from his Hong Kong days are great, and I also loved Jet Li in stuff like Once Upon A Time In China.  There used to be a clear distinction between Hong Kong and mainland movies but it's been getting blurry, sad to say.  Late night weekends the local chinese channel (I think it's run by a network called Fairchild?) shows movies from China and they really, really bad.  Half of the time they're unintentionally hilarious, like the Chinese X-men where people have chi powers instead of being mutants and the wolverine character turns into a dog.  When they try to be funny on purpose it's something bigoted, like having a comic relief gay character for everyone to shit on.  Invariably there's some kind of villian related to Japan.  Overall it's exactly what you'd expect from a film where the final say goes to the state propaganda department.

Offline Drago1235

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 03:18:57 pm »
Dragon Ball GT hero's legacy, nice little movie. cried wen goku showed up! :angel:

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 02:42:24 am »
     Meet The Feebles.  Strange that the premise didn't catch on, you'd think that X rated muppet parodies would become a genre all unto its own.  I had forgotten the scene with the fly tabloid reporter landing on a turd floating in the toilet and chowing down.  Some good songs too.

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 03:20:57 am »
I recently saw "Imitation Game", massively overrated and I didn't learn anything past what I had heard on NPR. Benedict did an amazing job and the chick who played Ms. Clarke.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:08 am »
   I haven't seen it but your review is consistent with what I've heard.  I've gotten more and more skeptical about the ability of Hollywood to make an accurate biopic since I started learning of Ghandi's dark side.

Offline Baby Naruto

• Playful Explorer
    • My DeviantART Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 06:40:53 am »
I recently watched these 3 movies earlier today with a friend :).

The Flintstones and WWE: Stone Age SmackDown! (2015)
Scooby-Doo! Moon Monster Madness (2015)
Penguins of Madagascar (2014)

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
I watched the original "The Amityville Horror" last night.  I enjoyed it overall, although it dragged in a few parts and wasn't as tight as I expected it to be.  I don't really understand the low critical ratings it got from reviewers, but, whatever.  I think if I had watched it as a kid, it probably would have scared the crap out of me.  On a conscious level, there were a few moments that I enjoyed as genuinely scary.  Apparently my subconscious found the execution a lot more terrifying, though, because my sleep was a bit disrupted last night and I think I dreamed about parts of the movie.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline SamCrow

• sXe HC
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:24 pm »
I believe The Wolf of Wall Street is the only movie I've watched this year, so that'd be it.
Leonardo DiCaprio is god. 'Nuff said.

Offline DefyingChick

• its 'Defying Chicken', but no matter ^^
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 11:46:40 pm »
Eating out: All you can eat.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 12:55:44 am »
     I've never watched Titanic but started to admire Mr. Dicaprio after reading that he pissed off the Italians by visiting Rome and staying in his hotel to play video games rather than do the usual celebrity crap.  He certainly did fun work in Django Unchained.  Only saw a few minutes of it but they were playing Krull on tv yesterday.  A fun old movie, made more enjoyable by the curious plot similarities with Freiya / Flare.  Could be I'm reading too much into things there.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 06:47:25 am »
DiCaprio is amazing.

OT: Fune wo amu. Good movie. Not as good as Depatures, but still really great.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:21 am »
     Watched an old science fiction film called The Hidden with a friend.  I'd seen once before but had forgotten pretty much everything so it was nice to revisit.  Ivanova from Babylon 5 playing an evil space hooker was fun.  The car chase which started it was magnificent.  I'd recommend it, kind of an obscure cult piece.  Was going to watch It Follows tonight but my schedule was screwed up by the restaurant I went to forgetting my order for 20 minutes.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 12:16:44 pm »
The Hidden is bad ass.  I'm a big fan of those old cheeseball '80s sci-fi movies.  Night of the Creeps is another classic, as are Trancers and Runaway.  I've also been meaning to track down "Something Is Out There", which I remember from my childhood was a movie and then a mini-series, or a mini-series and then a full series.  Something like that.  Something Is Out There is along the same lines as The Hidden.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 03:16:33 pm »
I recently watched Donnie Darko.

I loved it. Why has no one ever told me of it's existence?! Why isn't it more well known?!

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 06:20:30 pm »
I recently watched Donnie Darko.

I loved it. Why has no one ever told me of it's existence?! Why isn't it more well known?!
Mmm, I think it's pretty well known. At least by everyone I know. They've always recommended it to me as a mindfuck movie.
It was good.

Been a while since I watched it.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 10:26:49 am »
The Hidden is bad ass.  I'm a big fan of those old cheeseball '80s sci-fi movies.  Night of the Creeps is another classic, as are Trancers and Runaway.  I've also been meaning to track down "Something Is Out There", which I remember from my childhood was a movie and then a mini-series, or a mini-series and then a full series.  Something like that.  Something Is Out There is along the same lines as The Hidden.

Yeah I only saw Night of the Creeps for the first time a year or two ago and was very impressed.  Trancers sounds kinda familiar but I'm not sure.  Is it by those Full Moon Videozone guys, the same ones who did all the Puppetmaster stuff?  I may have just seen a trailer for it. 

Anyway I just got back from watching It Follows.  The soundtrack deserves special respect, it reminds me a lot of John Carpenter.  If you're looking for a horror movie that explains everything and wraps it all up in a neat package by the end, this is not for you.  I still liked it a lot though.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 12:39:11 pm »
Trancers sounds kinda familiar but I'm not sure.  Is it by those Full Moon Videozone guys, the same ones who did all the Puppetmaster stuff?  I may have just seen a trailer for it. 

Both are from or are associated with Empire Pictures.  Trancers is basically Tim Thomerson, cop from the future, versus mind-controlled / zombified people.

Anyway I just got back from watching It Follows.  The soundtrack deserves special respect, it reminds me a lot of John Carpenter.  If you're looking for a horror movie that explains everything and wraps it all up in a neat package by the end, this is not for you.  I still liked it a lot though.

I've seen the trailer for this one and wasn't sure whether it would be good or not.  I will keep it on my "maybe" list until I get around to finding out more about it.

My favorite horror movie from recent years was Sinister.  I also enjoyed Grave Encounters, even though I expected to hate it.  I'm normally not a big fan of found-footage style movies.  I still need to get around to watching Oculus and The Conjuring.

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 05:14:39 pm »
The Hobbit part3 - The Battle of the Five Armies
its good but i can't say it was great, it felt subpar compared to LoTR.
and am i the only one who thought their CGI-animation had gotten sloppy?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:32:17 pm by kitamesume »

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
   100 Bloody Acres is a good Australian horror movie, lots of gruesome laughs to be had.  It Follows doesn't really need to be seen on a big screen so it's fine to wait for it to come out on dvd or something like that.

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 11:19:45 pm »
The Hobbit part3 - The Battle of the Five Armies
I recently learned that the great Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) wrote the script. Which is shocking because the movie really isn't that great and Toro is one of the most visionary directors out there.

I'm starting up Federico Fellini's masterpiece "8 1/2", a friend is contently recommending it. The first 30 mins are quite good. I'm particularity enjoying it because Jodorowsky's (The Holy Mountain) next film "Endless Poetry" is going to be similar in the sense that both movies are focused on the desire to make art. I also love avant-garde so I'm enjoying that aspect.