Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched?  (Read 20790 times)

Offline Fool010

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2017, 12:02:27 am »
It's hard to tell where suggestion ends and vacuum begins, but It Follows felt more like the latter.

I generally like my horror not being too upfront, but that one was just .... not enough, of anything. Stuff happens for no reason, and based on the ending more will happen, still for no reason.

All in all it reminded me of 80s slashers with their thinly veiled "sex outside of marriage is bad" subtext a.k.a idiotic teenagers getting killed after/while/before having unmarital sex. That's a bit too much on the crude side to count as a metaphor.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:48:15 am by Fool010 »
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline capnmorgan

• I have mastered making grape koolaid.
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2017, 04:04:45 am »
Trying to catch up on the conversation.

Tanis-I refer more to DWW than Pocahontas as the main character pretty much does the same thing Costner did rather than what Pocahontas did.  Does it have elements from all three in it?  Yup, it's just that the DWW and Ferngully parts stick out more drastically.  Now as to the B5 graphics.  As someone who grew up watching the OG Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica, it's a HUGE step forwards.  The CGI is bad especially in the first seasons, but at least they kept up with technology enough to make the final seasons that much better.  Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a remaster like they did with Star Trek ToS.

Ix-  Speaking from my friends and my perspective, the reason that I enjoyed It Follows was from more of a Character that we had invented called the Voodoo Rules Lawyer.  Remember how in the third Pirates movie Davy Jones cheated his way on shore?  Yeah, stuff like that.  This movie was a field day for the Voodoo Rules Lawyer.  We went on for a few hours on how to beat it, the rules it has to follow and what happens if everyone who's cursed dies?  The rest of the movie is forgettable and the "Hair" scene on the beach just made me laugh.  Invisible punt!

If your superpower requires you to get naked, its not a power its a problem.

Offline froody1911

• Confucius say man's last will is dead giveaway.
    • froody1911
« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:02 am »
Dead Man, directed by Jim Jarmusch, starring Johnny Depp. Interesting film though riddled with pacing issues. Was great to see Johnny Depp actually act with subtlety and nuance rather than behave like a caricature. Also great to see Native Americans portrayed without stereotypes.

YOU'RE MOM

Offline undetz

« Reply #383 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »
Batman - Mask of the Phantasm

Really great movie.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #384 on: January 26, 2017, 05:17:07 pm »
Batman - Mask of the Phantasm

Really great movie.

One of the best and one of Shirley Walker's last projects.

Online Winkle

« Reply #385 on: February 06, 2017, 01:10:07 pm »
A Clockwork Orange

Online lololitas

• Staff
  • Warning! May appear random at times!
« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2017, 04:28:42 am »
Stanford Prison Experiment

was recommended by our health sociology lecturer, turned out to be surprisingly good contrary to the previous two movies she recommended in conjunction with the electives.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #387 on: February 26, 2017, 05:01:07 am »
Fantastic.Beasts.and.Where.to.Find.Them

Offline superanees

« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2017, 03:49:12 pm »
The most recent movie that I've watched in the theater was the Doctor Strange. It had the most amazing visuals that I've seen on the big screen. Now, I am thinking about watching other media that Benedict Cumberbatch has acted in. Totally loved this movie. I am really enjoying this trend of awesome Super Hero movies that are coming out these days.

Online Shiakou

« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:04 pm »
Last movie I watched Seoul Station, the prequel to Train To Busan. Personally, I would have liked a more documentary-like approach with more worldbuilding rather than way it was actually presented which was less about the zombies and more about about the personal life of the protagonists. Don't get me wrong, the personal approach was fine as it was, but it's less "This is a prequel that explains how the stuff happened" and more "This is a mostly unrelated story that just happens to take place in the same universe a few hours earlier."

Offline undetz

« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:55 pm »
Flash Gordon

So much awesomeness.

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2017, 09:49:31 pm »
Flash Gordon

So much awesomeness.

Flash!  Aaah-aaaaaah!
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Fool010

« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »
Flash!  Aaah-aaaaaah!

That's the movie both Kurt Russell and Schwarzenegger should thank Sam Jones for committing career suicide when he won the part.
Who needs a signature anyway ?

MAL               last.fm

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:54 pm »
Ah Flash Gordon.  So bad, yet so good.  Anyway, I just saw Kubo today.  Really good.  The cover of my guitar gently weeps was awesome.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:25 pm »
Seen some movies lately, but not gonna post them atm, maybe later, what I want to say is just that X-Men: Apocalypse is exactly how I expected it, a disappointment. It was not bad, but I expected it not to meet it's expectations and the review momentarily at the top of IMDB for Logan uses an even heavier word "mess" to describe it. Logan on the other hand I hear is a kick-ass movie from multiple sources. As I agree with this guy that Apocalypse was not as expected and The Dark Knight is the best movie(of it's genre), I am just gonna post it here because I agree with it word for word.

Logan is easily the best Marvel movie ever and almost as good as the Dark Knight. I had a chance to see the premiere. The movie is just over 2 hours. The first 45 minutes and the last 45 minutes are the best part of this film. I have never seen a superhero movie like this. It's brutal to its core. I have a request to Marvel & Fox. Please retire Wolverine character because no one could portray it with this much perfection as Hugh Jackman. This is easily my second favorite movie of this genre. Congrats for Fox to reviving their X-men universe after the Apocalypse mess. X-23 actress is gonna be a big star in the future. Oh man, she's awesome. And this is Patrick Stewart's best performance till date. The villain character was also good, unlike other Marvel movies. Hope MCU will learn from this movie. DCEU also have a lesson or two to learn from Logan about making a dark and gritty film. Overall, I would rate this movie as the second best movie ever in its genre with almost no negatives. (by Venkateshrides  from Adelaide)

As I relate to this guy in mostly everything he says, I can certainly have a hard time waiting to see Logan. And I have no cinema here, so it will be a while. The 1st Wolverine movie (yeah, that's it's name) was bit of a disappointment, this guys seem to have redeemed themselves this time with Logan.

Flash!  Aaah-aaaaaah!

Queen made that movie 2 times better than it would have been. Don't know if they won the oscar for their music but they should've.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:01:42 pm by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Johnny D

• Kinda dumb
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »
This is 2 days latter and I am not gonna edit because it's a totally different subject and it would  be honestly pretty retarded.

Split 8.5/10 - Just seen it and I must say I liked this movie more than Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. The main role is played by James McAvoy, for those of us still unfamiliar with him, he's the guy from X-Men: Origins/Apocalypse, the young Professor X. As we didn't have a feast in this year's oscars as I think most would agree, I was wandering why wasn't he nominated there, I mean fuak, has anyone else seen what he did here!? But then I read more carefully, this movie was released only about mid January so it did not classify as a 2016 movie.

You can't tell what's what about an actor until he is given the right stuff, the right scenery to work with. Take the guy from Deadpool for exemple, Ryan Reynolds, he does well in that movie, but 14 years ago he played that extremely superficial Van Wilder and fed those stuck up Harvard shits some dog cum in cookies. ;D Of coarse we all liked that scene but his role was out of the charts of dumb. And then only 8 years later he plays that great role in Buried, in 2010. Practically he makes all that movie almost all by himself and manages a very good movie out of it.

The moral is that you never know how an actor will develop or how deep his talent goes until he is put to the real test. And that my friends happened in Split with our dear young Professor X. I deeply enjoyed this movie, watched the ending about 4 times and I regret I didn't wait for the HD/Bluray version as I have no cinema in my little town for the moment. I thought it will be a 7/10, mostly 7.5/10 rated movie so with no obvious special effects I might lose, I thought I would give it a go in a shady quality. Boy was I wrong, this is the type of movie you see as clear as possible, in a cinema if you got the chance. I will re watch it in the best quality possible when it will be released, no doubt, I don't wanna miss every little thing from McAvoy's best performance to date!

I regret ever calling him gay in relations with the new young X-Men I disliked at the time, this guy is simply... great. He would have been an oscar nominee I think, if the movie would have been released just a month earlier. Bad luck for him opposed to us, who got the real treat in early 2017.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:27:50 pm by Johnny D »
It's the human urge to light up the dark corners for answers in other people… but at the end of the day, there are no answers there.
Just more lives as sad and singular as your own.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Offline kaworuchan

« Reply #396 on: March 16, 2017, 12:29:31 am »
Blood Feast

The infamous start of drive-in gore movies.  Now available on BluRay

My state's legalized 420 made this more enjoyable than it should have been.

Online Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:32 am »
I saw "Get Out" today.  Solid, well-done psychological thriller.  Worth seeing, unless you're one of those uppity types who has a fit whenever racism or racial topics are brought up.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else Jordan Peele cooks up in the future.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Tanis

« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
Star Wars - Rouge One:
Solid movie.
Though the CGI for the dead humans was a bit...jarring at times.

Offline capnmorgan

« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2017, 06:58:24 pm »
To me, the key factor was shadowing.  Leia looked better because the shadows helped cover up the flaws of the cgi.  Tarkin didn't have that as his head was front and center for most of the scenes he was in.

I haven't seen Get Out yet, but I have been spoiled on the ending and that changes how I see the movie now. 
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.