Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched?  (Read 20561 times)

Offline jsandoval

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 03:42:08 am »
   Wasn't Guillermo going to direct it at some point, and then The Hobbit kind of floated around in pre-production for a while till things got sorted out?  I speculate the original vision for the films was a lot shorter, and better, until Peter Jackson took over.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 04:20:45 am »
My family is watching the last Hobbit movie right now in the living room. Never been a fan. Like LotR, but not Hobbit.
Was the opposite for the books. Didn't really like LotR, but loved The Hobbit.

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 04:34:36 am »
   Wasn't Guillermo going to direct it at some point, and then The Hobbit kind of floated around in pre-production for a while till things got sorted out?  I speculate the original vision for the films was a lot shorter, and better, until Peter Jackson took over.
I would like to think so.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:24 pm »
My family is watching the last Hobbit movie right now in the living room. Never been a fan. Like LotR, but not Hobbit.
Was the opposite for the books. Didn't really like LotR, but loved The Hobbit.

I enjoyed the LotR movies, but I hated how they handled The Hobbit films.  The films are a bastardization of the original material, with absolutely none of the spirit of the book, and only a loose adherence to the original story.  They are, in short, an abomination.  I watched the first movie in the theater and left pissed off.  I downloaded the second movie, knowing it would be bad, and found it to be as cringe-worthy as I expected it would be.  I haven't watched the third movie yet, and I probably won't bother.

Peter Jackson and company need to quit before they ruin anymore of my childhood favorites.  Fortunately, I don't see the licenses for any other Tolkien material leaving the hands of Tolkien's family any time soon.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 05:13:05 pm »
   It's been a long time since I read The Hobbit, but the best thing I can think of to say about the movies is that they're a really, really cynical cash grab.  Stretching a single fairly brief book into an entire series of films is just ridiculous.  It does make me wonder about what kind of films fit the opposite scenario though,  where they should have been a series but were overly squished instead of stretched out.  Possibly Dune?  I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head though.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 05:19:24 pm »
Dune would be incredible if done right. It'll never be done right though. Ender's Game is another. The movie was fucking trash. They skipped SO MANY FUCKING PARTS, that were VERY important.
Like off the top of my head, I remember straight out the gate in the movie, Ender's Dragon army was the best and for their like... second match they had the two team fight. What the fuck? In the book they had a lotttt more battles and practice before they had to fight two armies at once. They didn't even touch on Peter and Valentine. Just, ugh. I fucking hated the movie.

Online kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 06:50:09 pm »
   It's been a long time since I read The Hobbit, but the best thing I can think of to say about the movies is that they're a really, really cynical cash grab.  Stretching a single fairly brief book into an entire series of films is just ridiculous.  It does make me wonder about what kind of films fit the opposite scenario though,  where they should have been a series but were overly squished instead of stretched out.  Possibly Dune?  I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head though.

if its an anime, Brave Story could've gone better if it was a 6part 60min movie (for a total of 360mins).

or in which case, those movies which have the "adventure" genre could've used a bit more of a stretch.
even doing a long movie (200+mins instead of the typical 120mins) would've made it a whole lot better.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:24:06 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »
watched Blood and Ties last night. Damn good.

Now watching A Company Man.

Offline Mistgun_Zero

• Idol~chan
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:52 pm »
Fast and Furious 7.

Recommend it even after all the hype. It's a good one. 

Homu-Homu is troubled

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 10:22:48 pm »
Dune would be incredible if done right. It'll never be done right though.

This.  The various incarnations of Dune on screen managed to catch the look and/or feel of Dune, yet still somehow manage to completely miss the deeper themes of the story.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2015, 03:12:24 am »
   People have been making a big deal about how awesome Dune would have been if it were by Jodorowski ever since the documentary about him came out, but as near as I can tell he was just a weird pretentious guy who gets revered for making films 18 hours long.  That sounds incredibly boring...  There's some misgivings about the later books in the Dune series (I'm not going to even get into the stuff written after Frank Herbert died) but just the single first book has such massive, fascinating world and universe building to practically go on indefinitely.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2015, 05:09:31 am »
Yeah, that whole Hunters of Dune / Sandworms of Dune debacle reeks of deus ex machina.  Parts of the story were pretty cool -- at least the ideas behind it were awesome -- but the actual execution was bitterly disappointing.

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2015, 07:31:27 am »
   People have been making a big deal about how awesome Dune would have been if it were by Jodorowski ever since the documentary about him came out, but as near as I can tell he was just a weird pretentious guy who gets revered for making films 18 hours long.  That sounds incredibly boring...
You know nothing about Jodorowsky. None of his films are 18 hours. Watch "The Holy Mountain".

Ender's Game is another. The movie was fucking trash. They skipped SO MANY FUCKING PARTS, that were VERY important.
Like off the top of my head, I remember straight out the gate in the movie, Ender's Dragon army was the best and for their like... second match they had the two team fight. What the fuck? In the book they had a lotttt more battles and practice before they had to fight two armies at once. They didn't even touch on Peter and Valentine. Just, ugh. I fucking hated the movie.
I really hated their portrayal Peter. He felt so fake.
Fun Fact: Orson Scott Card loves Cowboy Bebop.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:37:06 am by SentientCrab »

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 08:06:20 am »
   Time I learned some more about Jodorowsky I guess.  My opinion may or may not be correct but judging from what I've read on imdb it does not appear to be based on facts, where the heck did I hear he made some super long movie?  I think it was related to the Beatles somehow... 

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 08:38:49 am »
Dune would be incredible if done right. It'll never be done right though.

This.  The various incarnations of Dune on screen managed to catch the look and/or feel of Dune, yet still somehow manage to completely miss the deeper themes of the story.
Yurp. It can never be done in one movie. And I will accept nothing less than the strictest following of the novel.

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 08:23:28 pm »
   Time I learned some more about Jodorowsky I guess.  My opinion may or may not be correct but judging from what I've read on imdb it does not appear to be based on facts, where the heck did I hear he made some super long movie?  I think it was related to the Beatles somehow...
Some places reported that Dune was going to be 18 hours. I don't think that is true.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:08 am »
   That's one possible explanation, although it's equally likely I just wasn't paying attention that day.  I think I'm worried that an "experimental" type movie would veer into self-indulgence.  I watched A Field In England a while back and the living tableau scenes were pretty jarring the first time I encountered them.  Normally I'm a huge Sam Neil fan (especially anything genre) so you would think a movie about a woman who gives birth to her own hysteria in the form of a tentacle monster would be right up my alley, but Possession was more than I could process.  Maybe that's part of the charm however.

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 07:26:27 pm »
I watched Blade Runner this weekend. It is considered "a must watch movie for anyone interested in the cyber-punk genre", and I would have to agree. It reminded me a lot of the first Ghost in the Shell.

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 03:14:40 am »
I watched Blade Runner this weekend. It is considered "a must watch movie for anyone interested in the cyber-punk genre", and I would have to agree. It reminded me a lot of the first Ghost in the Shell.
Blade Runner is interesting because it's way more William Gibson than Philip K Dick, Gibson even said that in an interview. The movie removed a lot of the religious aspects of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" so I was a little disappointed, from a technical stand point it's amazing, especially the world (which is nothing like PKD's book).

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 03:58:49 am »
   I remember hearing a Philip K. Dick radio drama (Dimension X perhaps?) from the 60's and being really impressed.  Clearly his work is capable of being of being translated effectively into mediums beyond film.  It was really in a class of its own compared to the other science fiction radio dramas, dealing with interracial love between an asian man and a caucasian woman.  Frankly I was astonished it even got made.