Author Topic: What's the last movie you watched?  (Read 20563 times)

Offline Ozzaharwood

• ζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘζ༼⊙ ͟ل͜ ⊙༽ᶘ
Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2015, 05:54:20 am »
Blade Runner is interesting because it's way more William Gibson than Philip K Dick, Gibson even said that in an interview. The movie removed a lot of the religious aspects of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" so I was a little disappointed, from a technical stand point it's amazing, especially the world (which is nothing like PKD's book).

I've never actually read any of his books, I will have to look into that. Thanks! :)

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 07:53:03 am »
So PKD is probably my favorite author, I ran around on the internet for a while and here is the most complete collection of .epubs. I'm missing a couple non-fiction books, some letter collections and a couple short stories, but it's pretty much all there.
I've only read on William Gibson and I highly recommend him especially since your a gits fan. He's most famous for his book Neuromancer.

Apparently I was misled about Gibson and Blade Runner. Blade Runner came out while Gibson was writing his book Neuromancer. Apparently Blade Runner was so similar Gibson was really worried he would be seen as stealing from Blade Runner. Still Neuromancer is considered a major founding element of cyberpunk.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:13:13 am by SentientCrab »

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2015, 07:11:23 pm »
Watched The Last Samurai because Netflix added it. Still a pretty good movie. I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise, but it was as good as I remember.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2015, 11:53:33 pm »
Watched The Last Samurai because Netflix added it. Still a pretty good movie. I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise, but it was as good as I remember.

Paul Mooney has forever ruined this movie for me.  I can't see the name without thinking, "The Last Nigga On Earth -- starring Tom Hanks".
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline buchno

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 02:02:52 am »
Just watched Interstellar, that everyone's been talking about...

Would have been better if they didn't star Matthew McConaughey.
And revised the whole Matt Damon chapter.
And rewrote the ending.
And realised a comic relief robot is just going to be annoying.

Can't deny that it looked stunning, though.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 04:35:37 am »
     How was the soundtrack at least?  The work of Hans Zimmer is typically characterized as a sea monster raping an air raid siren after all...

Offline SentientCrab

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2015, 05:18:10 am »
Interstellar was really over rated. The pacing was crap, water world was stupid, and it was wayyyy too long.

I just finished "Pan's Labyrinth" which is super good. I'm not sure if half of the movie actually happened, but im okay with that. It was way darker than I anticipated.
I also watched "Song of the Sea" which should have won best animated feature. It's really heavy for a kids movie. Here's a picture of the movie.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:58:10 am by SentientCrab »

Offline komyo

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2015, 05:35:20 am »
Furious 7,

almost made me tear.....ending tribute was done well  :yes: :laugh:

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2015, 08:27:41 pm »
I just watched Oculus.  I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.  Great ambient music, very reminiscent of John Carpenter.  This is something that really stood out to me.  The movie was also well-acted and with a great visual feel to it, and I particularly liked the look of the mirror-eyed ghouls throughout the movie.  I also enjoyed the blending of two storylines together, the past and the present.  The characters are easy to empathize with, and none of them are stereotypically lame.  Overall, the execution of the movie was solid.

I think where the movie fails, though, is that it doesn't deliver enough of a scare.  There's not enough 'oomph' to the scares for a seasoned horror fan, and the ending was woefully predictable.  Given the premise, though, I don't know what more they could have done with the ending - the main characters either defeat the force of evil or they don't.  There's not a lot of room for creativity there.  If I had been 12 years old and seen this, it probably would have scared me.  But as an adult, I appreciated the atmosphere of the movie a lot more than the scares.  In fact, to use another recent movie in the same style as a measuring stick, I'd say it's considerably less scary than Insidious.

My verdict:  worth watching for horror fans who appreciate good acting and good filmmaking, but don't expect a lot of surprises or scares.
If I ever meet God in person, I'm going to ask Him why he created so many stupid people, and then punch Him in the nose before he answers.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 01:21:25 am »
I love horror movies and since this one's been on Netflix I've been wanting to watch it. I wanted to go see it in theaters, but I never do that. Waste of money. I'm not paying $10 to see a movie with a bunch of annoying people who jump and yell at everything that isn't scary.

Good to know it was decent though.

I watched The Decent and The Decent: Part 2. They were great, but the endings were horrible. Just awful. So bad.
But the movies themselves were good and definitely worth a watch. It's more suspense than horror. There are some little jump scares but they're all predictable. The story and how fucking hard main chick becomes is what makes it good.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 02:15:51 am »
I liked The Descent quite a bit.  Saw it in the theaters -- that was one that was worth seeing on the big screen in a huge dark room.  Really added to the atmosphere.  Haven't seen the second one though.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 04:05:34 am »
I liked The Descent quite a bit.  Saw it in the theaters -- that was one that was worth seeing on the big screen in a huge dark room.  Really added to the atmosphere.  Haven't seen the second one though.
It's pretty good. Spoiler: She has to go back. Duh.

But you're gonna predict something so fast and you're gonna be annoyed that that even happened. Or at least, I was. As it started I was like: "They better not do something fucking stupid like..." and then it happened. But it's all good. The end was like... sorta satisfying until the VERY end. Like the last 30 seconds were so fucking dumb, but up until that point it was good. It's on Hulu if you have that and want to watch it.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:34 am »
    I'm not 100 percent certain, but I think the guy who did The Descent also did Dog Soldiers.  That at least didn't bugger up the ending (s).  If you're in the mood for a great horror comedy, check out Tucker and Dale vs Evil.  There are bound to be a few people out there who haven't seen it yet.

Offline Ixarku

• (V)_|*,,,*|_(V)
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »
Oh yeah, I saw that one.  I loved it.  The whole black humor premise was great.  Which makes me think of another amusing if not hilarious film -- We Sell The Dead.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2015, 09:40:21 pm »
   Heh, I've actually seen that one too!  I tend to look for stuff with Ron Perlman, although his was a fairly small role.  The other thing to recommend it was that (I think) it's an Irish horror comedy.  International movies, even if they suck, at least suck in a different way.  There was an Irish movie about tentacle monsters whose only weakness was alchohol, can't quite remember the title though.  Maybe Grabbers?  A word of warning, avoid Mutant Chronicles.  That was just an awful turd.

Offline marinosgr

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 11:43:06 pm »
It's been a few days since I last saw ''The Interview''.For all the raucus it caused it wasn't a very good comedy but had it's moments.I'd like to see more movies of this type though

Offline Baby Naruto

• Playful Explorer
    • My DeviantART Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2015, 06:40:43 am »
My friends and I went and saw Furious 7 in theatres today, that was exciting.

Hopefully it wasn't the final film in the Fast & Furious series, I heard about Paul Walker (Brian O'Conner) dying two years ago.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2015, 01:40:06 am »
Finally watched Oldboy. I knew the 'twist' and knew it was good, just never sat down to watch it.

Shit was cash, yo.

Offline jsandoval

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:02 am »
     I'm guessing you mean the original Korean one as opposed to the hollywood remake.  I've only seen a couple Korean films, Sex is Zero and The Host, but they were both pretty good.

Offline Logiick

• -sama
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2015, 02:51:22 am »
Yeah the Korean one. Obviously.