Author Topic: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Lears

  • Member
  • Posts: 2
Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »
So, I've recently downloaded and been watching Bakemonogatari. The third episode is pretty gorram excellent, so obviously I now want to watch the fourth ... unfortunately, all my media players instantly crash on it. I've muxed out parts to confirm that the media players will all happily play Ep 4 so long as I omit the subtitles. If I extract the subs and add them manually, that doesn't work either. So no big deal—just mux in an alternative sub file, right? Well I tried that with two alternative sub files I was able to find for the episode, and inexplicably, the results crash my media players again...

I'm using the Mint variant of Debian with XMonad wm, media players include MPlayer (via SMPlayer), VLC and Banshee. More detailed specs can be provided if relevant.

All other files in the download are working perfectly.

Offline sneaker2

  • Member
  • Posts: 239
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
Which release? What happens if you remove attached fonts?

Offline ridon428

  • Member
  • Posts: 1301
  • Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:43:27 pm »
Here's what you can try:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Although, I haven't check that episode you have and I don't want to use my bandwidth to download it unless I want to watch it

Offline Lears

  • Member
  • Posts: 2
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:40 am »
sneaker2—The release is the 1080p edition found here: http://bakabt.me/163546-bakemonogatari-bd-1080p-ane.html

I removed the attached fonts ... and it works. What in the blazes is going on here? I would think that any issue with attached fonts would be a lack (e.g. crashing on not finding said fonts on my system).
Can you shed any light? I'm interested to know why it's a solution, and also whether something could be done on a system level so that it's unnecessary. Thanks, by the way!


ridon428—Being an approved BakaBT release, I'm assuming there isn't anything strictly wrong with the original file, and having had deluge recheck all the chunks, I'm pretty sure my download didn't go wrong either. Your other solutions are not in the direction I'm interested in—if I wasn't clear in my original post, what I really want to know is how to get an anomalous mkv file that works on other setups to work on my own. It's a general thing, for future files also. Thanks anyway, though. :]

Offline sneaker2

  • Member
  • Posts: 239
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »
Sry, I can't help you any further. I hoped to reproduce this on my PC with VLC but I couldn't. Maybe you can fix it by rebuilding the font-cache (or whatever it is you need to do on Mint/Debian to "reset" the fonts). If that does not work isolate the font responsible and try to contact the people at Mint/Debian or the player software.

Offline ridon428

  • Member
  • Posts: 1301
  • Dial Four-Two-Eight Toll Free!
    • Personal Site
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:10:50 am »
The problem is at your end. Try using MPC-HC. I downloaded that file you are referring to. I didn't have problems with it and I didn't remove the attached fonts. Can you tell me the specs of your computer? While I was playing this file, it used around 15% of CPU (AMD A8 6600K), 25% of GPU Load and 20 % of Memory Controller Load of my GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti)

Offline Al_Sleeper

  • Member
  • Posts: 8513
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 04:35:50 am »
MPC-HC is a Windows program. Here the problem it the playback in Linux.

Offline Govna

  • Member
  • Posts: 135
Re: Weird issue with subtitles for a specific file
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:16:27 am »
Even though the topic is dead...

Stop using mplayer and just use mpv. The issue is probably related to the mime types not being set correctly for the fonts on mux, and your player just handles it poorly.