Author Topic: Overlord  (Read 13803 times)

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
Re: Overlord
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 09:36:42 am »
The first episode was kinda interesting, but depending on how it folds out it might get shitty or great.

Hoping for the latter.

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 03:19:24 pm »
HorribleSubs rips CrunchyRoll streams pretty much as-is;  if the stream /(and/or audio or subs) is crap, HS's rip is crap, that simple.

Offline dbml

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 12:14:34 am »
Generic and boring. I think we reached max saturation for "stuck in MMOs" quite a while ago. Will give it one more episode to show me something special.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 09:23:13 am »
The thing that I find interesting in this show is that he found himself stuck so he's trying out what he CAN do, unlike in other shows where the protagonist had the access to all the commands etc, and just carried on.

Also, non-human MC, this actually might be interesting, I was always a great fan of Dungeon Keeper, cuz it's very rare where you can play the role of being actually the bad guy and succeed :)

Offline suhaib

• Thanks to Sebur for the awesome set <3
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 08:27:50 pm »
Hopefully, we'll have some combat next week(EP03). Can't wait!

BBT Ika Musume Fanclub Member #000014

Offline blackhole

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
Yeah I'd love that.

Now I want to play Dungeon keeper or Dungeons.

Gonna research, there was supposed to be another game where you play as the evil masterming luring heroes to their doom.
Why a setting like this is so rare ? fucking perfection, better than GTA by 9999999*231242/12*845934^887238956773

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »
The thing that I find interesting in this show is that he found himself stuck so he's trying out what he CAN do, unlike in other shows where the protagonist had the access to all the commands etc, and just carried on.

Also, non-human MC, this actually might be interesting, I was always a great fan of Dungeon Keeper, cuz it's very rare where you can play the role of being actually the bad guy and succeed :)
I agree.

I very much like the fact that he keeps testing and probing what is/is not possible, in his new paradigm.  He's pretty good at not assuming too much, in my opinion.  I'm hoping the overall MacGuffin is better presented than SAO, or even ignored completely, rather than how it was done in SAO or the .Hack series.

He's much less of an ass and/or useless knob than I expect from that committed an MMORPG player :o .

All in all, I like him much, much more than Kirito from SAO, just as one example, although I liked .Hack's characters well enough, as well.

I have high hopes that Overlord won't let me down partway through, like SAO did.  That sucked.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:26:09 pm by Bozobub »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 09:45:34 pm »
Anotehr reason of probing his ability is to measure how strong he actually is
Also making sure the guardians are always on your side and will not somehow ditch you in the middle of a fight would be expected.

I think his best idea was making the change in Albhedo's script, although I think it would be kinda funny if she was a bitch.

Offline Mimishiki19

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 11:21:05 pm »
Droped. I like the story, the characters are crap( as expected), nice music, good theme  but what killed it for me was the pacing.
Episode 2 was just him going out. That's the whole recap of episode 2. Momoga going out. Can't even remember if he managed to leave.
Such a dissapointment.

I want a cow and NO,not for a hentai! Why...why would you think that? ⚢

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »
Generic and boring. I think we reached max saturation for "stuck in MMOs" quite a while ago. Will give it one more episode to show me something special.

nope not really, the extremely good ones are still in their Novels, unadapted.
though most of them aren't really "stuck" but just "in MMOs being a badass".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:32:10 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 03:08:33 am »
Droped. I like the story, the characters are crap( as expected), nice music, good theme  but what killed it for me was the pacing.
Episode 2 was just him going out. That's the whole recap of episode 2. Momoga going out. Can't even remember if he managed to leave.
Such a dissapointment.

I have serious issues with pacing as well. 2 episodes in and we still know nothing about the world or the main character, and the side characters are all cliches right down to the vampire loli. I really don't care at all about any of the characters either. Pacing issues rarely make me drop shows though, so I'll continue on.
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 04:53:07 am »
the world is meant to be an unknown so "knowing" about it in just a few episodes kinda defeats the purpose.
i mean its like in SAO, openly telling whats in the further floors through narration breaks the thrill of surprises.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 09:10:13 am »
They just want the story flat out in one episode so they can drop it anyway. You don't have to defend it so hard.
They won't listen.

Offline Mimishiki19

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 01:16:20 pm »
Don't be silly. I already know the story. I read the translated novels. I didn't expect the anime to catch up to the last novel but streching an entire episode like this is too much for me.

I want a cow and NO,not for a hentai! Why...why would you think that? ⚢

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:33 pm »
God SAO certainly left a bad aftertaste to a lot of people. People both hate it's ass and compare anything game related to it by default.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:49:35 am »
SAO definitely was too skipped, i mean its like "was there even a story left to tell?"

though speaking of too-fast paced, danmachi is also too fast.
the anime skipped a few big chunks, though those were mostly character development scenes but still... (i was seriously disappointed when i saw the naming scene omitted).
well at least the entire series almost stayed pure to the novel, theres barely any scenes changed.

in any case though, plot lines thats saturated with a story would almost always end up being slow paced.
in a sense combining story + action would or should always be a long running series, otherwise rather than a story it'd be like a skit.
and for a heads up, Overlord will get deeper in plot as it goes on, the story is intense, i just hope they don't mess up the cliche comedy scenes and action scenes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:08:36 am by kitamesume »

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:26 am »
They just want the story flat out in one episode so they can drop it anyway. You don't have to defend it so hard.
They won't listen.

Getting a bit aggressive are we?

No, I understand that the world is supposed to be a mystery and I get that is the point. What I take issue with is that we know nothing after two episodes in a 13 episode story.
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 05:16:51 am »
They won't listen.

Getting a bit aggressive are we?

No, I understand that the world is supposed to be a mystery and I get that is the point. What I take issue with is that we know nothing after two episodes in a 13 episode story.

that might be because of the initial story-line, they're concentrating in giving "momonga" some depth, and establishing the feeling of "lost in another world".
for the most part, i can anticipate this series to waste 4~5episodes just showing momonga's haughtiness, which is why volume1 was named "the undead king".

but is it really only 13episodes? that would mean they'd be skipping so much stuff it'd be a train-wreck...
in particular, the warrior arc is worth at least 4episodes by itself, and the bloody valkyrie arc is worth 5episodes.

[spoiler]the zombie raid part should have a dedicated episode, the scenario of the virtuous king of the forest should also have an episode for itself.

bloody valkyrie arc has 4points worth doing a full length episode, sebas and solution's bait, shalltear vs brain, meeting albedo's sister, and momonga vs shalltear.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:26:54 am by kitamesume »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 09:21:28 am »
That may be so but if you look at this objectively, it doesn't matter how long a certain arc is in a book, but what's in it to show ?
All the descriptions and texts can be animated and no one will give a fuck, without skipping, something that feels like an hour read could become 5 minutes in an animated form without losing anything at all. Look at Fairy Tail "Magic Games" arc, the mangakka took over a year doing that single arc, and it was over in 12 eps. And it was 100% accurate.

We'll have to wait and see, and maybe complain afterwards.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 09:33:07 am »
well, theres parts on the arcs that are worth allotting an entire episode so to speak.
specially if they draw out the potential of the scenes, i mean look at HunterXHunter, that Chimera Ant Arc was totally touching.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:43:20 am by kitamesume »