Author Topic: Overlord  (Read 13801 times)

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
Re: Overlord
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 02:32:40 am »
that Chimera Ant Arc was totally touching.

Aside from the last 5 minutes that arc dragged on way too long and I completely disagree, but I won't deny I enjoyed the series as a whole.

Anyway, I wouldn't be so worried if the series was 26 episodes, but yes this season is only 13 episodes. I am extremely worried about pacing. [Note I haven't looked at your spoilers].
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 02:37:38 am »
I'm hoping that they do a proper job and split this into multiple seasons, assuming they get the necessary response from fans.  So far, I'm willing to tolerate character development at the expense of a somewhat slow start, but not if they rush the plot...

Edit --> Hitsugi no Chaika is a perfect example of of how I don't want this series to go down.  Excellent premise, interesting setting, surprisingly good character development, then...  Pfft; deus-ex-machina-"R"-us ending.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:30:52 am by Bozobub »

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 03:34:22 am »
I'm hoping that they do a proper job and split this into multiple seasons, assuming they get the necessary response from fans.  So far, I'm willing to tolerate character development at the expense of a somewhat slow start, but not if they rush the plot...
that wouldn't be bad, 2 or 3 volumes per 13episodes isn't too stretched plus they can dedicate key scenes for an entire episode.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

on a side note though, while madhouse might've been a good choice for the animation studio, but why do i feel like its better if Bones did this?
though regardless, i just hope they green-light the 2nd season before this season ends.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:54:26 am by kitamesume »

Offline mgz

• Box Fansubs
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 08:38:38 am »
its kinda silly to assume that one village leader could explain everything about the world to them.

I mean shit go to most small towns around the world and ask the mayor/leader of them to explain the world to you.

aside from that kind of a bleh plot thus far im giving it a chance though.
But honestly one of the weakest of the shows ive ended up watching

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 09:12:03 am »
If said leader is literate, I don't find it at all surprising or illogical that he'd know at least very general details of the surrounding countries.  Hell, even IF illiterate, that's exactly the kind of detail - whose marauding knights might be coming through next - that you keep track of pretty damn well ::) .  We also don't know how much of the information received was correct - lol.

For instance, using your example, most present small-town mayors in the US would get most of the gross geopolitical features of the entire world just about correct, and damn well could tell you something (accurate or not) about both Canada and Mexico, even though one (or both) is guaranteed to be a very long way indeed, depending on where you are in the country.  Similarly, in Europe, you can bet the average mayor since the Middle Ages, especially the later period this anime seems to emulate, knows at least the immediately surrounding geopolitical features/entities; often enough your life depended on it in the past, and it's part of general education now.

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 09:57:00 am »
its kinda silly to assume that one village leader could explain everything about the world to them.

I mean shit go to most small towns around the world and ask the mayor/leader of them to explain the world to you.

Normally I would agree, but in this episode, all he explained is the nearest geopolitical area, knowing your neighbours is the must have knowledge to any village leader. There is nothing strange in knowing the names or a few nearby cities and bordering countries, especially if said village does keep contact with other villages not only to keep in touch but to help each other in trying times.

I'd say it would be not only silly but utterly stupid to not know your basic surroundings and possible threats/allies when you something happens.

From the way it was said in the "thought process" of mister Momonga-sama, all the information the elder gave him was names of countries that, looking at the map, are fucking close by. Not knowing THAT information wuold be death flag to any idiot leader.

Offline Ami Lia

• Katak, sungai, bom, sushi, semua ada!
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:27 am »
Weakest, lame, generic, boring and blabalabla whatever the fuck we are settling to do or some shit...this place is becoming the next MAL despite its small population. Most people definitely forgot that we are watching some shit in order to be relaxed or whatever instead of using it as a platform to rid yourself of real life anger by endlessly complaining about even the single piece of insignificant details. Make me wonder just how much you people could tolerated if you were to make a show and people continuously complaining about every flaw that you do. Wow, must be painful for a non masochist. People that loved hating also need to make their own show since they called identified all sort of problem in other's shows afterall. Let's see if you can make the so called flawless stuff as you people are indeed, so perfect and builted with no flaws, gifted with the abilities to judged works of that achieved higher status in life. Ain't really disappointed that I was inactive before in this forum or in any other place, and will never be unless things changes. Sometimes, having the freedom of building an opinion can make you an asshole, just like what I'm doing. The law of human's right is heavily flawed as well.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 10:01:23 am »
^
I wanted to read that painful wall of text, but instead I got pain in my eyes now.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 10:18:58 am »

Normally I would agree, but in this episode, all he explained is the nearest geopolitical area, knowing your neighbours is the must have knowledge to any village leader. There is nothing strange in knowing the names or a few nearby cities and bordering countries, especially if said village does keep contact with other villages not only to keep in touch but to help each other in trying times.

I'd say it would be not only silly but utterly stupid to not know your basic surroundings and possible threats/allies when you something happens.

From the way it was said in the "thought process" of mister Momonga-sama, all the information the elder gave him was names of countries that, looking at the map, are fucking close by. Not knowing THAT information wuold be death flag to any idiot leader.

pretty much, a village devoid of knowledge about neighboring countries is pretty much impossible to exist.
at the very minimum they should know the country they're under in (OH MY GOD NOT KNOWING YOUR OWN COUNTRY'S NAME)...
theres a limit to how oblivious one can be.

though on that note, the village elder provided more than enough information to momonga.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:20:33 am by kitamesume »

Online Bozobub

• Demon Lord of Clowns
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 06:12:34 pm »
Now, hold on a moment!  This is  the "Anime Discussions" subforum, is it not?  No one is obliged to like (or dislike) any given show, FFS.

Most opinions given here (positive or negative) that I've seen have at least some rationale behind them.  That's enough, whether or not anyone agrees with them.  And even if not, no one really needs an excuse at all; sometimes you don't have an explanation for what you do or don't like, that simple.  And no, you don't need to be able to produce art, to know if you like said art; that's just a bullshit assertion.  It's not like anyone here has gone full-blown deconstructionist.

I'm not staff/admin, but for the sake of fuck, keep it civil, people!  Feel free to argue all you like, that's what the subforum is for, but there's no need to be an ass about it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:43:50 pm by Bozobub »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:41 pm »
You can make and hold up your opinion, but when you make an assumption that an elder in a village shouldn't have an idea what is around him and someone makes a sensible reply that you may be wrong, you should at elast consider admiting that mistake instead of jumping guns.

Offline Saras

• How might I assist you?
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 12:04:46 pm »
I rather like this so far. I don't particularly mind the slow pace either. I'm rather interested in seeing where it will go to.

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 04:50:01 pm »
I rather like this so far. I don't particularly mind the slow pace either. I'm rather interested in seeing where it will go to.

Likewise. So long as they manage to fit a reasonable story into these 13 episodes, the slow pace suits me just fine. It seems like exactly the kind of plot I really enjoy, as well.

Offline dbml

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »
I finally got around to dropping this. Doesn't do it for me. World was boring, characters were boring. Everything was boring.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 09:16:32 am »
I finally got around to dropping this. Doesn't do it for me. World was boring, characters were boring. Everything was boring.
You're also boring.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 04:49:21 pm »
still... they've overly softened the art on the anime.
the illustrations on the novel is much more finely drawn, i wish they could've at least given more effort in this...

even berserk's animation is better in terms of details, and thats quite an old adaptation.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:53:14 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Saras

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 05:03:17 pm »
Overlord is nowhere near as famous as Berserk. It'd be surprising if it had access to anywhere near Berserk's level of funds. I'd say it looks good enough, all things considered.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 05:18:10 pm »
it is fine in itself, though the CGI used is a bit clunky.
but on a side note, even the more famous anime had quite a degraded quality, its as if their studios are deteriorating.
and thats while considering they've switched to 12episodes instead of the old 24episodes per season.

though speaking of quality, what animation approach are they using?
i don't think they're still doing hand-drawn.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:21:27 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Saras

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 06:16:49 pm »
it is fine in itself, though the CGI used is a bit clunky.
but on a side note, even the more famous anime had quite a degraded quality, its as if their studios are deteriorating.
and thats while considering they've switched to 12episodes instead of the old 24episodes per season.

though speaking of quality, what animation approach are they using?
i don't think they're still doing hand-drawn.

They are hand drawn in the sense that it's drawn on a computer. There haven't been strictly hand drawn anime since somewhere around 2002. With the sole exception of Redline.

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:58 am »
This week's episode was pretty bad. It did nothing but character development for supporting characters. While this normally isn't damning we have the entire main character set we know nothing about in this case.

All I got from this episode was "Momonga-sama so strong, such power", and we already knew that.
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.