Author Topic: Overlord  (Read 13804 times)

Offline kitamesume

• Death is pleasure, Living is torment.
Re: Overlord
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 07:34:57 am »
nah, you'd see why on the latter arcs, momonga hasn't shown all his cards yet.

on a side note, the first arc is indeed bland, the novel's 1st arc itself is bland, and i think they just made me dislike albedo...
but on the other hand, this novel wasn't supposed to be purely action, think of spice and wolf.

still, i wonder at which episode they'd start the zombie part.

PS: 2nd arc is about interacting with humans (showing off)
3rd arc is fighting bandits (showing off)
4th is a war with monsters (still showing off)
5th and 6th is mostly economics and political struggles (somewhat a change of scene)
7th is getting invaded (as if they could be invaded)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:34:30 pm by kitamesume »

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 02:42:01 am »
My point is that there is a serious pacing issue, a lack of end goal, or both. It does not matter how well this anime adaptation follows the manga. It is its own piece of art, and it only has 12 episodes to make a point. So far it has failed spectacularly. I'd be willing to push off judgement if this were a 20+ episode anime, but here we are half way through and nothing really important has happened outside of episode 1. I am fine with a lack of spectacle fighter, but I can't say I am ok with a lack of goal and vision. "Take over the entire world" does not cut it when we are half-way through the season and nothing remotely close has happened. I wouldn't compare this to Spice and Wolf either. By the end of the third episode I knew a lot about the world and what was driving the anime. The same can't be said for Overlord.

I won't say that all is bad news though. This is the first time a shitty anime showing has made me seriously consider picking up the manga just to get some fulfillment. It has that going for it, so it is has some potential in my eye, but the anime isn't doing it justice right now.
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:06 am »
the pacing is just right, this was supposed to be a long-running series, or at least a 24episode length.
the 12episode length isn't the anime's issue, blame the producer's inept judgement.
at their current pace they'd end at around the start of 3rd arc, which is the perfect cliff-hanger for overlord.

i'd be royally pissed if they squeeze in 5volumes worth (half of the current number of volumes) of content in a 12episode series.
similar to how many stuffs they had omitted in danmachi, now they're at an impasse where a 2nd season isn't possible.

on a side note, the manga is far slower, the novel's translation group is also quite slow.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:43:24 pm by kitamesume »

Offline blackhole

• There is no avatar there, it's an illusion.
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 09:44:49 am »
That was a fun episode, especially that moment when Albhedo was in Momonga's bedroom :D

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 04:12:42 pm »

Offline Shohei-kun

• Your resident game developer
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 11:05:22 pm »
..."fun"...

riiight...

Rubbing the shaft to naked demon ladies can be considered fun I suppose...
Since nobody online can ever present an intellectual discussion and internet discussions bring out the worst in me I have decided to abandon all forms of social media, message boards, and media comments. If you want something from me feel free to send me a message.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:37 am »
..."fun"...

riiight...

if you swing that way...

Offline blackhole

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:19 pm »
..."fun"...

riiight...

if you swing that way...
I don't discriminate between human-and demi-human species :)

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:55 pm »
no, i doubt an inanimate object could be considered a "species".
while yes, seeing an erotic scene of a demi-human doing it with a "toy" is, well, erotic.

Offline Clannad_92

• ~Rem~
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2015, 01:25:56 am »
anyhow, its "fun"...you cant argue with that

Offline blackhole

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2015, 09:34:56 am »
This episode made me laugh, the mighty magic beast :)

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:14 am »
This episode made me laugh, the mighty magic beast :)
Virtuous King of the Forest. *chuckles*

at this rate though, they'd be finishing this arc in episode 8 or so.
1~4 = The Undead King Arc
5~8? = The Dark Warrior Arc
9~12 = The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
?~? = The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
?~? = The Men in the Kingdom Arc Part1
?~? = The Men in the Kingdom Arc Part2
?~? = The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
?~? = The Two Leaders Arc
?~? = The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc

they might just be able to finish bloody valkyrie with that much episodes left.
which means there won't be a cliff-hanger, and there'd be enough left-over volumes for an immediate 2nd-season and 3rd-season <3.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:04:16 am by kitamesume »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 10:07:36 am »
I wouldn't count on a second season, even though I would like to see more, I'm afraid they will not take it up.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2015, 10:18:01 am »
hmmm, that would depend on the BD sales, though Overlord's popularity isn't as hot as Danmachi or SAO.

Offline blackhole

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:26 am »
I don't see the problem with sales in my honest opinion, the problem is if the studio will take it up or not. Seeing how slow paced it is it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't feel like taking up second season.

I don't mind the pacing honestly, I like it as long as it entertains me. But they might need to change the studio for season 2, which might not be the best of ideas.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2015, 10:30:04 am »
shifting studios isn't as bad as it sounds, they still have bones and gainax that fits the theme pretty well.

on the other hand, madhouse wouldn't just drop a hot-selling series, even if it was a slow series, so yes BD sales can affect it.

Offline Bob2004

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »
I don't see the problem with sales in my honest opinion, the problem is if the studio will take it up or not. Seeing how slow paced it is it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't feel like taking up second season.

I don't mind the pacing honestly, I like it as long as it entertains me. But they might need to change the studio for season 2, which might not be the best of ideas.

Nah, what's important is money. How much the animators enjoy making it doesn't matter at all - hell, the animation studio probably has very little say in whether or not a sequel gets made.

So long as the various companies involved make plenty of money out of it, through BD sales, merchandise, LN/Manga sales, etc, they will try and make a sequel. If they don't, they won't. Since I can't see this show selling many copies, it's very possible that they'll never make a season 2. Which is a shame, because if they sorted the pacing out, it would actually be a really great series. Even with its flaws, it's pretty enjoyable.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:54 pm »
they've gotten faster after episode 4 in fairness, they're already at Volume 2 chapter 3 in just 2episodes.
it took them 4episodes to get through 5chapters at the start.

best case is episode 8 would be the conclusion, and episode 9 would be the epilogue and the start of volume 3.
this would have the least omission while picking up the pace a bit.

edit: speaking of animators, why had they suddenly switched to 12episodes per season?
its not like their animation quality got better with less work, so i doubt thats their reason.

i did some tests on vid quality from the 720P vs 1080P sources, apparently i could get a better picture on an upscaled 720P...
though MadVR's new scaling and other features are doing a damn fine job.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:29:39 pm by kitamesume »

Offline blackhole

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2015, 01:43:27 pm »
Because doing a series of 24-26 eps of a show that might not catch audience is risky and costly.
Look at SAO season 1, the SAO Arc was great, people loved it, then came the second game which was practically boring with a slice of violent boob grab and near rape to spice it up. It was badly done, badly executed and badly boring.

Also look at Spice&Wolf season 2. They could have skipped that arc and the two next arcs to get a very serious and moving arc into the animation, if they did that they would amass enough money to make season 3. In teh meantime they could release OVA's of the skipped arcs to let people stay up to date. I believe 10 OVA's could easily solve most questions.

Although personally I liked that arc and the 2 next that followed in the LN.

The problem with 24+ series is such that you actually need a solid storyboard to follow without extending the story and prolonging some minor events AKA Goku Charge Up the BALL for 5-8 episodes and finish the battle in 5 seconds.

There are shows that easily deserve a 26 eps series and they get that treatment, while others that look like could be done in 24 eps at least and take 12 eps expend their story quite quickly and we get a filler episode of bitches on the beaches.

That's teh reason for 12 eps rule atm, hardly any story can be pumped up to 24+ nowadays.

Offline kitamesume

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2015, 01:52:08 pm »
then why not just make it a 12+12 based on demand? it wouldn't be half-bad since they could chop it off half-way through.
all they had to do is some minor planning that would at least save the anime from getting a major cliff-hanger.

actually danmachi deserves 24episodes, it has that insane demand (just look at reddit, god that hestia spam), and could've been expanded.
with the 12episode series, it was super compressed, a lot of stuffs omitted, and it had eaten up a huge portion of the released volumes ( 5 out of 8 ).
now they couldn't even do a 12episode season 2 due to insufficient volumes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:57:03 pm by kitamesume »